Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Icons/Avatars

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Icons/Avatars

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 am

So, where and why did everyone get the Avis they use? Mine...I think I just looked up some mangaka, and somehow found this. It's not exactly what I want, but it'll do for now. Honestly, I can't quite remember the mangaka...I'd usually use a character from Tanemura Arina, since I like her style. But...this girl doesn't look quite like her style...So...I can't remember. ^^;
'By any means necessary. Heh, that's when your ideals outweigh your conscience. The question is: are you willing to give up yourself--your idea of who you are, of what is right--to help other people?"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Azamiko
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Icons/Avatars

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:54 am

Oooh, I think I got mine from a promotional image from a game called God of War. It was originally an image of a dude with two big curved blades coming up across his chest and above him, but I did some 'shopping and edited those out, did some color changes, and used it as an image for my profile. Later on, I cropped it and added it as my avatar - I use this same one mostly everywhere now. Which reminds me that it's still a 100x100 image, so I need to re-crop it soon. ^_^
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pixelgami on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:01 am

I sneakily tore out a Swarovski jewelry advertisement from an issue of Vogue, scanned it, avatar'ed it. I was making a character called Imogen Wiergeld or Imogen Falkenstrom (couldn't decide what semi-Nordic last name to use!) for an RPG called Crimson Shadows or Crimson Silhouettes or something, which was fun while it lasted!

pixelgami
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am

That's pretty fun...I remember God of War. Never got around to playing it, though...

And I like the names Imogen and Ingrid! ^_^ Unusual names are interesting, don't you think? Well, until they go into cliches, like Mary-Sue names...<ff.net joke

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nils on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Tanemura Arina has cool art! I used to use one of her characters (the guy with the blue hair!) from that manga about a reincarnated Joan of Arc (or something like that) for my avatar. BUT NOW...

My avvie is of Jacques-Louis David's Napoleon Crossing the Alps. He looks kind of emo cropped like that, so's I likes it, lawl.

My siggie is of a Last Exile image. It's rather emo, so I like it too. The quote is from Robert Browning's huge-ass poem "Paracelsus":

...at times I almost dream
I, too, have spent a life the sages' way,
And tread once more familiar paths. Perchance
I perished in an arrogant self-reliance
Ages ago; and in that act, a prayer
For one more chance went up so earnest, so
Instinct with better light let in by death,
That life was blotted out-not so completely
But scattered wrecks enough of it remain,
Dim memories, as now, when once more seems
The goal in sight again...

Lovely.

Nils
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 am

Very nice. Do you have a particular fondness for Browning, or just for that poem? I love poetry, though Browning--both Brownings aren't my favorites.

The character you are talking about is Chiaki/Sinbad. Sinbad is his...um, super-heroish sort of name. ^^; I abosolutely adore him. And, hysterically enough, there are a few pictures from that manga--covers and single illustrations--that are...interesting if you look closely. No, really. In one of them, Maron/Jeanne is standing with a sword and he's sitting at her feet; if you look at his hand, it's actually REALLY high on her thigh. O.o

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:07 am

My avatar is an emoticon. Thaaaat's right! What are you gonna do about it?
"Some things are important. Others are not. Yet all would claim a mortal's attention. It falls to each of us to remain ever mindful, and thus purchase wisdom in the threading of possibilities. It is our common failing that we are guided by our indifference to eventualities. The moment pleases, the future can await consideration." - Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 am

Use the force on it?

XD Has anyone ever seen a lightsaber battle? I mean, a theater group that specifically plans out and does a lightsaber battle? I saw one at NY Comic Con...Pretty funky.

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nils on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Azamiko wrote:Very nice. Do you have a particular fondness for Browning, or just for that poem? I love poetry, though Browning--both Brownings aren't my favorites.

The character you are talking about is Chiaki/Sinbad. Sinbad is his...um, super-heroish sort of name. ^^; I abosolutely adore him. And, hysterically enough, there are a few pictures from that manga--covers and single illustrations--that are...interesting if you look closely. No, really. In one of them, Maron/Jeanne is standing with a sword and he's sitting at her feet; if you look at his hand, it's actually REALLY high on her thigh. O.o

I normally hate poetry, but I like a few poems by T.S. Eliot and Wallace Stevens. As for "Paracelsus," I just saw it on someone's profile, so it's like a recycled form of love for this particular poem. Ooh, I like the insight into Tanemura Arina's artwork--how scandalous! I also like CLAMP's illustrations for their manga X, especially their tarot card series.

LIGHTSABER BATTLE? Is that like this?

Nils
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 am

Um, sort of. Except better. This was actually an amateur theatre group that trained specifically for that type of show. Sort of like how there's Shakespeare theater troupes? Well, this was a Star Wars Universe Fights troupe...^^; Plus, we viewers were sitting on the ground watching, and there was rock music...and they actually TIMED things. Also, many of the people used different styles of swordfighting. It was fake, obviously, but still pretty cool.

I looked at a lot of Tanemura's pictures...I really liked KKJ, particularly since if you pay enough attention, it has really dark overtones...All of her series do, though. The little girls read them and think 'oohh, what a sweet romance!' But look at the real plots:

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne: Girl who thinks she's working for God, stealing/sealing evil...things, eventually finds out that her 'angel' partner is lying to her, and that she's actually working for Satan. The guy she THOUGHT was a bad guy is actually the good guy. He's in love with her, but she has so many emotional issues that they can't quite get it together. (Well, he has issues too, at first, but he gets over them.) She LIES to her best friend and feels guilty about that; her parents have pretty much abandoned her...She almost gets raped by a guy who sold his soul to the devil so that he could find the reincarnation of the woman he loved (who didn't love him back.) There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

Time Stranger Kyoko: A girl has to go around finding other powerful magic users in order to wake up her 'sister.' It's been a long while since I read this one...Plus, they cut it shorter than it was meant to be. But, the ending is bad enough. It turns out that the girl is actually the daughter of time, and she's going to live her life alone for pretty much all of eternity. She was actually just borrowing the form of the 'sister' that she was trying to wake up. Her 'father' (time) feels bad for her, and sends her back down to finish off her human life. Ignoring the fact that she'll be right back to being alone in 50 or so years.

Full Moon wo Sagashite: Haha,this one is really traumatic. A little girl is dying of throat cancer, and the only way to save her is an operation that will prevent her from singing, the only thing she's ever wanted to do. So, two shinigami come and give her the power to become a famous singer, so that she can 'reach' her childhood friend. Eventually, the shinigami find out that that childhood friend is ALREADY DEAD. The male shinigami has fallen in love with the girl, but since she keeps reminding him of his life before he died, it's torturing him. He and the female shinigami--who likes him--go against heaven to save the girl (who feels guilty because she fell in love with the male shinigami as well.) In the end, it turns out that the male shinigami was a friend of the girl's father and in a coma for the past twelve years or so. (O.o) I won't say the ending, just in case.

So, yeah, Tanemura is NOT a cheerful person.

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:22 am

Ah, if no one has noticed, I've changed my avi...I found one character who would be really good as an image of Azamiko, but...I really don't care for the manga or even the character...So, I found another Tanemura one I liked. And I found the pic I mentioned, so if I can figure out how to post it, I will...

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.