Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

A rp idea...

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A rp idea...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Okay so I had an idea for a roleplay and I thought I would do an interest check. I have created roleplays on other sites but never on rpg.

In a victorian-ish fantasy world (airships and stuff but no cell phones or cars) there is a murder of a very wealthy and well known business man. The roleplay would focus around the detective, his assistant and the group of suspects. Unfortunately everyone, even the detective themselves could be possible suspects. The group kind of get together with the detective kind of in the lead (since it would be their area of expertise) to prove each ones innocence to the police and the public. Yet one of them IS guilty. While trying to prove themselves innocent with the help of the group each person will look at the others and wonder 'did YOU do it?' Eventually the case must be solved while keeping your suspicions close to your heart, only sharing them with someone you absolutely trust. People find friends, some could fall in love, and enemies could be made. All while tensions rise inside the mansion of the deceased that the group has been house arrested in.

Basically a who dunnit rp. The end would be the finding of the murderer. It would have a few suspects that are story important to be played, and then a couple slots open for other characters who might not be suspects, or could be but aren't story important. These people would be the few that could die from finding out secrets etc. Everyone could have up to two characters.

Thoughts? Like? Dislike?

I am Canadian, therefore Canadian spelling will occur in my posts. We like our vowels.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dziva
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A rp idea...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pandalover on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 pm

I think it sounds fun!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

pandalover
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Awesome!! :3 I'm hoping maybe a couple of other people like the idea before I make it an actual roleplay. Having at least one person gives me hope >:D

Dziva
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deallo on Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 pm

I am interested :D I'd honestly love to see this come to fruition :3

Deallo
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Yay! I'll set it up soon then :3

Dziva
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Sounds a heck of a lot like a game of Mafia, which has been tried before on here since the assumed similarity is that people do assume roles. However, the storytelling aspect is missing.

I'm wondering if the GM will know whodunit at the start, though...regardless, I like the idea, but I don't think I'd perform very well in such an environment of suspicion and double-crossing.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Tue May 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Hmm I'm not sure what a game of mafia is. Yes, I will know who the murderer is at the start but only the person who plays the murderer and I will know who it is. I see part of the fun part of leading this is seeing who suspects who and who and seeing if they are surprised in the end. I'm not sure when I would tell the person who is the murderer though...I would have to think on that one since they might act differently if they know yes?

Yeah I can see it not being for everyone. Part of a big part of it would be that they could actually grow to like each other through the roleplay. True they will be suspicion everywhere but it should be neat to see how they would have to interact I think. Won't be huge either.

Dziva
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deallo on Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Mafia is the best party game in the world. Period. Basically you get about ten or fifteen people and have one ref. Ref tells everyone to close their eyes while he picks the detective(s), Nurse(s), and Mafia member(s). Mafia kill people in every turn, Detectives, in every turn gets to accuse someone of being a mafia member, Nurse gets the chance to save someone who might be targeted every turn. Everyone else are citizens. (No one knows who's what).

Basically it goes like this. Lights are off. Mafia kills someone. Lights back on, we know who's been killed, and everyone talks at town meeting to throw suspicion around who the Mafia member(s) are. It's really, really, tense. Lights back off, Mafia kills someone else, Detective accuses, Nurse chooses someone to "save" if they're attacked. If someone is killed, their identities are revealed, which goes for some shock factor moments. (SEE! I WAS THE NURSE! THE NURSE I TELLS YA!)

There's a bunch of diff versions but basically, everyone gets more and more suspicious, and people get really into it at the town meetings, downright accusing people, shouting, etc. It's really fun though, despite all the secrecy :D

Deallo
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Worldsastage on Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am

These sounds like a fun idea. I would definitely join.

Worldsastage
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Wed May 02, 2012 10:35 pm

@ Deallo it sounds it! Yeah I can see the similarity to my idea. How do you know who was killed and who the nurse chose to 'save'?

@Worldsastage yay!!!

I should get to making the actual roleplay tomorrow. I got kind of busy today. I'll put a link up in this thread once I get it done so that everyone who is interested can join :3

Dziva
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 pm

The roleplay is up!!!!

roleplay/blood-and-lies/

Dziva
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm

What deallo said. The only roles you really need are the mafia and the villagers, the former of which are outnumbered by the latter...every other non-mafia role is flavor. The mafia's win condition is to reduce the number of villagers via kills during the "night" cycle until the two teams are equal in number, at which point they presumably take over the village by force. The win condition for the villagers is to lynch every member of the other team by figuring out exactly who is on that team and killing them via majority vote during the "day" cycle.

More reading: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue4/mafia (you can safely ignore the "history" part of the article: I know I can)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dziva on Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Ew histories xD Thanks for the link :D

Dziva
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!