Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library »

Players Wanted: Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! »

Initiative: Battle Arena

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Re: Initiative: Battle Arena

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:56 pm

There's two camps as to the writing = winning argument. One says that since this is a written medium, effective communication of attacks and defenses is a must. The other says that writing quality is secondary to the IC outcome of the battle. But as someone who's faced a poor writer, how are you supposed to write logical responses to posts when someone puts up this kind of gobbledygook?

This is why I'm in the first camp. Yes, someone can use semantic obfuscation as an option select (aha, I meant THAT, not THIS, so you're completely open!) but it should not be a substitute for tactics and strategy.

Also, this was discussed in the Slack: The forum is currently not active enough to warrant a staff team dedicated to breaking up fights that get too ugly.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edorekt on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

I definitely did define two sections. Several times. In fact I went back and forth.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Edorekt
Member for 5 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:08 am

I was referring to the "should writing be scored when judging a fight" argument, not the for fun vs. for glory aspect of this forum. My bad.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edorekt on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 pm

It's not your bad, I was talking to Spin-Image over there who is apparently another ego-bopper that is deciding to pick and choose what to take from my post rather than understanding the entire post. So my statement of, I definitely defined two sections - A writing based and a Combat based - and through the post I went back and forth. It seems he sees the back-and-forth part...but is taking it as contradictory statements when it's simply weighing one thing with one hand and another with the other.

So you're good Law. It ain't you bruv.

Edorekt
Member for 5 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sara Whitley on Wed May 18, 2016 3:18 pm

--Is this place still a thing? Is this initiative still alive?

It's still my understanding that combat, as a roleplaying activity, has some "competition" appeal and that not only do the vast majority of players indulge in combat scenarios (especially random ones) to see if their character possesses the skill and ability to win, but that the success of a separate Arena forum will depend on a thriving community that feeds off the energy of competition and genuinely enjoys "playing chess" against other players.

For that reason, I find the notion of someone's writing being able to count against the success of their character to be discouraging, and I genuinely believe that the vast majority of individuals who comprise this theoretical Arena community would find it discouraging, too (after all, there are plenty of places to write, and compare writing. However, there is only really one place where it's considered acceptable and encouraged to simply "fight" for the fun of it).

Let's face it: the players of the small community that centers itself around the "arena" are not here to compare writing and many of them are not even here to improve their writing. They want to see their characters in action and try out different strategies, generally against an opponent who is not trying to let them win.

I have a very extensive history with roleplaying PvP, and while that experience may be different from someone else's, most people I've fought with were doing it to see if they could win, because it was intellectually challenging and enjoyable.

Lately there was a resurrection, of sorts, of an old document that explains how T1 combat is supposed to work. This appears to me as a system for determining who should win, in a scenario when neither combatant agreed beforehand to lose to the other. I think competition and, occasionally (and often unfortunately), the personality traits that often accompany the competitive mindset, really are the driving forces behind an arena that would see regular activity rather than sporadic and adrenaline-lacking practice bouts.

My opinion is still not to hoist up writing as a factor in whether or not your character's strategies would have been successful, so long as both combatants understand what is being attempted in the technical sense, and to foster an environment where it is okay to be win-oriented.

Tiers are still a good idea. I only ever did "realistic melee" for example. It's nice to have options for players who are not interested in a magic arms race, where one player pulls out the anti-cannon and the other pulls out the anti-anti-cannon, etc.
Creator of the Fantasy Sandbox roleplay.

Sara Whitley
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Sara Whitley wrote:My opinion is still not to hoist up writing as a factor in whether or not your character's strategies would have been successful, so long as both combatants understand what is being attempted in the technical sense, and to foster an environment where it is okay to be win-oriented.

Tiers are still a good idea. I only ever did "realistic melee" for example. It's nice to have options for players who are not interested in a magic arms race, where one player pulls out the anti-cannon and the other pulls out the anti-anti-cannon, etc.

First, yes, this is still a thing.

Second:

I am of a very similar mind, Sara; I don't think the quality of someone's writing should interfere with the summation of the quality of what they write. I think it's very discouraging to foster a community that can (and will) use walls of text as shields in place of... well, actual shields, or whatever method characters have of avoiding death and/or serious injury.

As far as the revival effort of old, antiquated and ineffectual systems more poorly written than the Affordable Healthcare Act go, however, I think there needs to be a radical departure from the old, exactly for this kind of reason. It's 2016, and we aren't text-fighting each other over Aol. Or MSN. Everyone remember MSN? Good times.

If you would like to propose a rating system, or even just throw things at a wall and see which stick, you're free to do so and the initiative effort would appreciate it. Remaeus claimed he was sending industry-experts to shift the paradigm or use free-market side-strategies or some mumbo-jumbo to get this thing started two months ago, and you can see how far that got things.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!