Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Initiative: Revitalize Discussion and Debate

a topic in Our Greatest Quest Yet, a part of the RPG forum.

We've a lot of work to do. There's already a big list of ways to help, but maybe we're missing something? Come here to discuss!

Initiative: Revitalize Discussion and Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:16 pm

I know there's a few lurkers, but not very many active and participating members of Discussion and Debate. It's kind of a ghost town, and I'm getting tired of hearing my echo... echo... echo....

I'm ready to listen to advice for how to better moderate the subforum. I'd like more of the chaos that I was called in to quell.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Initiative: Revitalize Discussion and Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:29 pm

More current events related topics?

Maybe bridging your fringe philosophical topics with mainstream topics.

Maybe check out the threads that often had the most traffic.

I remember when I used to contribute. I miss those days. Life's been busy with me.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:15 pm

I second Vin's comments, and I am one of those semi-active players that both you and Aniihya know. Semi-active because some of the topics are simply out of my depth. Those I feel I can relate to or have a strong opinion on are the ones in which I put my thoughts.

Are there any current events that you feel strongly about? Something that makes you want to scream or cry, something that gets you excited? The debates that stir people's emotions are the ones that most likely will have the longest life, and stir the most excitement if that's what you want. One has to be careful with those to avoid flame wars though. All my time there, I didn't see anyone starting or getting involved in flame wars, so I don't see that as a problem in this community at least.

FyreT1ger
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:36 pm

It strikes me that especially specific queries might be of help with generating discussion. Beginning with the big abstract questions up-front can be a little more difficult for some, as I'm slowly learning via teaching responsibilities. But bridging into the general from the specific is easier. Also, it might increase turnover, where old posts aren't kind of staggering along forever. One question is discussed, which would be possible to do in a finite amount of time if it's specific enough, and then the active discussion participants can move on to the next one to keep things "fresh," I suppose.

Some of that advice may not apply to the D&D forum, though; admittedly, it's been a while since I visited, and I'm going on memory from some time ago.

Also, after a while a thread with a huge number of responses is daunting; I don't want to read it all, and therefore I don't respond, for fear of being redundant. Shorter threads with higher turnover to new topics would help with that also, I think.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:56 pm

But I like the fringe philosophical topics.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sara Whitley on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm

I try to participate when I feel I have something worthwhile but I rarely come around anymore.
Creator of the Fantasy Sandbox roleplay.

Sara Whitley
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 pm

*rolls in*
DID SOMEONE SAY ECHO *is late to party but ehhh*

I'm just beginning to dip my foot into the wonder and excitement that are the official forums, but I've been poking at things that interest me once in a while. I usually steer clear from politics, although I'm most likely going to be poking the other various ones with a stick since I'm a procrastionator. Maybe if there was fresh flip-overs for more contributions, there could be more activity?
Although that's just my two cents.
Soon we'll televise our
C O L O R

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Miss Echo wrote:Maybe if there was fresh flip-overs for more contributions, there could be more activity?
What does this sentence mean? Urbandictionary gave me an.. erm... definition of "flip-over" that's NSFW.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Sara Whitley wrote:I try to participate when I feel I have something worthwhile but I rarely come around anymore.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I seem to have the bad habit of responding to conversations that ended 2 years ago, and I've misunderstood the question, or intentions of the OP, more times than I'm proud to admit. I wasn't an active member of any of the forums years ago, because when Gambit's Bar was still the place to be, it's all I came here for, aside the handful of forum RPs that interested me.

sI'm hesitant to advocate for D&D tackling "current event" issues. I think that's a weird area to get into, as far as what I consider to be in the scope of a roleplaying forum and community, and I tend to think that with the newer (and, inevitably, younger) audience that will be joining in the future, it's not something I expect to be discussed seriously.

Be that as it may, as I said, I wasn't active when D&D was at its peak; I was twiddling around with Gary Stus in vampire-central. I can't speak with any experience or authority, as far as D&D is specifically concerned, whether or not it is a good idea, but I don't think it's a genre of conversation I'd be glad to pursue. I think if someone wants to discuss politics or foreign policy or how seriously horrible Flint, Michigan is-I mean, come on, the people are being poisoned but it's child abuse to prevent kids from drinking public water, what the hell?-they have other mediums. NationStates, their local message board, whatever.

I'd be happier to see the revitalization effort focus on discussing roleplaying/writing styles and strategies, or discussing literature and entertainment, which I see as more relevant to a website with roleplay in its name. "What makes a good villain?" "What's the best way to handle antagonistic writers?" "How could you translate the federalist and anti-federalist debates metaphorically into a chess game, in the context of divine politics, in a noir crime thriller?" Those are the kinds of provocative questions I expect in D&D, and that I'm happy to discuss and/or debate.

But, again, I know that D&D has had its share of well received topics in no way related to what I consider relevant and I'm sure I've missed out on the very provocative, deep, intellectually conversations that happen in between the name calling and other jiggery-pokery.

The Website wrote:Discussion & Debate
Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Yep. Glad I found that without someone pointing out that I'm dumb.

Carry on everybody.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:01 am

MayContainPlagiarism wrote:
The Website wrote:Discussion & Debate
Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Yep. Glad I found that without someone pointing out that I'm dumb.

Carry on everybody.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:44 am

Things don't need to be hot issues or pressing concerns to be discussed they can be philosophical or even say things like why FPS games are better than RPG or something to that note, that sorta deal.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!