Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Initiatives: Getting Involved

a topic in Our Greatest Quest Yet: Discussion, a part of the RPG forum.

We've a lot of work to do. There's already a big list of ways to help, but maybe we're missing something. Come here to discuss.

Initiatives: Getting Involved

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey everyone! As you might've read, we're kicking off a new series of community-lead initiatives to make RolePlayGateway the fiction-writing home we're proud to call home.

If you have an idea for an initiative, the steps to get started are simple:

1. Start a thread explaining what your mission is, and how to get involved.
  2. Reply to this thread with a link to your initiative.

That's it! Anyone who wants to help with something can come to this master thread and see your initiative listed clearly below. We'll keep the list updated with the latest from each one.

Let's make RolePlayGateway the best community on the Internet!

Known Initiatives (Add Yours! »)
Donations & Financial Support
Codename "Maki", or RPG 2.0
RPG on YouTube and Podcasts
The Multiverse: Renewal
Revitalize Discussion and Debate
Battle Arena
Winners Write the History Books
Get Social

Add Yours »

By Profession / Category
Writing

Engineering
Maki, the web application framework RPG 2.0 will be built on

Art & Design

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge

Re: Initiatives: Getting Involved

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:55 pm

This is, like, so amazingly exciting.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheNoremac42 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:01 pm

What kind of coding languages would I need to know in order to help out with the web design? My major is in computer science, but I haven't gotten very far in my knowledge-base besides some C. I would really like to help, either through that or through writing.
Constructive criticism welcomed.

TheNoremac42
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:49 pm

TheNoremac42: I believe you should check out Maki for information about coding.

dealing with it
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackbird26 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey. I was wondering if you guys considered setting up a Patreon. It seems like a nice way to facilitate small monthly donations for those of us interested in doing so. :)
"Real power comes not from hate, but from truth."

Blackbird26
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Blackbird26 wrote:Hey. I was wondering if you guys considered setting up a Patreon. It seems like a nice way to facilitate small monthly donations for those of us interested in doing so. :)

We'd love to do a Patreon, but don't have the resources to set one up yet. We'd love to have someone familiar with Patreon take the lead here – if you or anyone you know wants to help, join #roleplaygateway on the Maki Slack?
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:51 pm

*raises a hand* I have a background in the business end of creative stuff if that helps (it's how I make my living while getting my degree), and can help you guys set up the Patreon/Kickstarter/Whatever you want to use. I've got some friends who I can bug about it that actually make their living through that site.

Also, I think that a series on youtube would be awesome, I know I spend way too much time there; I think it would be fun to do an introductory video to the site, then branch off from there.

Absenthia
Member for 10 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Ingenious Izoi. Do you want to start a thread and link it here?

dealing with it
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Just tell me where I need to start the thread and I will be more than happy to link it.

Absenthia
Member for 10 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:44 pm

You can't go wrong posting it in the Main Lobby

dealing with it
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 pm

Hey, is one of the initiatives cleaning up the empty rooms in the Multiverse? I know the blog mentioned organizing the MV was something. If it is, then I can help! I've already made a list. I enjoy making lists and organizing things, so it was kind of fun.

That list doesn't include rooms where the only activity was an accidental OOC post either. though there may be like one. It does include at least one broken link though!
Patcharoo says: She's the squishiest in the game...

DemiKara
Member for 9 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:15 pm

DemiKara wrote:Hey, is one of the initiatives cleaning up the empty rooms in the Multiverse? I know the blog mentioned organizing the MV was something. If it is, then I can help! I've already made a list. I enjoy making lists and organizing things, so it was kind of fun.

Yes, it is! A lot of changes to the Multiverse are coming soon. Thanks for collecting this, as there should be a thread going up soon by the person leading the initiative.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:28 pm

I look forward to seeing the changes!

DemiKara
Member for 9 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Alright, my initiative is posted. This one will definitely be something that I'll need some additional people for, but collaboration will be fun.
RPG on YouTube and Podcasts

Absenthia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 pm

I mentioned the link problem to Remæus. We can't have that. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.
Fixed.

dealing with it
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PierceTheRayne on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm really excited for this. I had left for a short bit due to the impossibility of glitching, and I'm now waiting for any (possible) way I can help.
Rayne[size=50][/size]

PierceTheRayne
Member for 4 years
Promethean Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sick Puppy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:25 am

New Initiative : Regis
My initiative involves creating, overseeing and providing a welcoming space for members new and old to roleplay in the Multiverse.. The difference between this world and any other world in the multiverse is as such

- Dedicated team to host events fairly regularly. ( For example to play NPC bosses for a group of characters to fight. To offer large scale NRP induced direction and plot arcs.)
- Fewer rooms in the world to increase the number of people per room.
-As time progresses and more people join we can start exploring the planet, creating new history, plot arcs and whatever else our minds can think of.
- Active searching for new members, whether from social networking sites, new players who have just joined, forums and such.
-Offer advice and help on the process of roleplaying. Explaining Metagaming, godmodding, site actions and how to do X,Y,Z etc etc to enable newer roleplayers to grow with us.
-Combat based tournaments in the MV for both new and old combatants.
-Woll do what we can in character to prevent NRP from having any major effects on Regis ( other than those implemented by us to develop plot arcs)
and whatever else we can do to make this place as enjoyable as possible.

for information on Regis you can currently go here...https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oWhIYspmQ3i1OVE4qHiQm6y_B4iYhX8UMnBu5ksWl2g/edit

Im a believer in the idea that activity breeds activity... so creating an active 'hub' for new players would be a good way to help newer roleplayers become not so new roleplayers. :)

Still a new initiative so im open to thoughts, suggestions or for volunteers willing to make this happen with me. :)

All the best.
unsure where to begin? looking for a role in an active setting?
We would love to hear from you :)

part-something-bigger-t98502.html#p2113717

Sick Puppy
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Battle Arena

Sometimes roleplaying isn't all drama and intrigue. Negotiation fails, tempers flare, and fists get thrown. Sometimes a writer just wants to textually beat something up.

Can we revitalize the battle arena? It used to be a free and fun forum that offered genuine competition and opportunities to practice one of the most difficult aspects of writing and roleplaying.

A new set of fair guidelines, rules, and scoring methods to help impartially decide winners in competitions and to encourage fair, cooperative posting, are needed.

If you have any suggestions, recommendations, issues, or you want to flex your textual muscles, consider posting in the Battle Arena forum and in the Battle Arena initiative.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:48 pm

I've had this up for a while, but I don't see this on the list.

initiative-winners-write-the-history-books-t98500.html

LawOfTheLand
Fundraising Hero
Fundraising Hero
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:55 pm

@MayContainPlagiarism: very excited about your Battle Arena initiative. I'm sending some folks your way to help.

@LawOfTheLand: I don't want to give the Multiverse unfair attention over the many other excellent roleplays on this site, so we're only giving it one link here. All sub-initiatives get rolled up in the Multiverse: Renewal thread.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!