Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Interested in an RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Re: Interested in an RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Simple_Imperfections on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:21 am

Sorry for the lack of post. I have been busy all weekend. Since we all don't mind taking on multiple characters, I guess we should establish which characters need to be played besides the main ones we have claimed.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Simple_Imperfections
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver World Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Characters that need to be made at the least are:

1. Current Mayor McCrapbag. His party, his "platform," and how he stays in power.

2. Constant 2nd-place candidate McCrapbag II. Could be in the same party, similar public platform, but just can't gather the illegal clout the term mayor can.

3. The undercover agent should have some kind of boss, liaison, maybe even an emergency support team that can help her seek medical attention and dispose of bodies without the media attention a hospital or wherever might otherwise. They would also assist Viktor, I guess, out of necessity.

4. Some mid-level thug pimp/pusher, who's our first target. He's rough with his product and should be put away, but (for some reason; you guys can think of why, I did this hard work) he can't be put away yet because he could be used to incriminate a lot of people at once. Maybe he's a trouble maker that gets in the way of Jabber's business, or one of Jabber's employees; either way dealing with him puts Viktor/Simple on Jabber's radar.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm

I am ready ready ready to go.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jibber Jabber on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:19 am

I've been sick (still am sick) so that's why I haven't said much lately. I will definitely think on my secondary character. I have one idea but I need to flesh it out more which will wind up completely changing into a solid idea. I'll be ready whenever the light turns green.

Jibber Jabber
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Simple_Imperfections on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 am

My secondary character will most likely be my primary character's boss. Easier for me.

Simple_Imperfections
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver World Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 am

I have a lot of characters in my back pocket if we need to ad hoc, or even co-opt, in a pinch, but it's not like this is a spontaneous improv routine; as long as we have our main protagonists, and antagonist, I think we're ready to go.

Some important questions, though:

1. Will this RP be open to anyone who's interested? If not, that's fine I guess, but I don't really like "private" group rps. And if it's open someone has to write out a whole intro so everyone not privy to this conversation knows what's going on.

2. Who's going to make it (and be GM)? I assume simple, since it's her thread and everything. And so she's our scapegoat if anything goes wrong.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jibber Jabber on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:26 am

I got an npc or two in mind besides my main(s). I do tend to think of characters as rps go on so that's bound to change.

(adding on)
1. I don't mind what we do. I do like having some fresh hands on it (idk) like the ones that showed interest prior and some new ones. This is a pretty focused (story-wise) rp and so a smaller number of actual people would work out best imo.

2. I like creating the rps look but I hate GMing. I kinda hate going over character sheets and being in charge in general.

3.What's the name of the city? Silver Peaks? Ashington? Neu City? Crown Bay? I actually like that one Or are we going to just go with a darker real city?

Jibber Jabber
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 am

If it's in the west coast, it's nickname should be the "Bay City" so we can fight the Bay City Butcher.

As far as new people go, I agree a focused RP benefits from less writers. That being said, we should agree on some kind of posting style (no pictures, gifs, color text, random fonts) now.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Simple_Imperfections on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:19 pm

1. Alright I guess I will make the RP and GM it. I am seriously active and don't take shitty anything. So I can deal with all this nonsense.

2. If we make the RP open it will be the three of us and may be like two other people. Just to keep the numbers small. I don't really feel like dealing with 20 people. But if there is that much interest, I will open it up more.

3. West coast seems good. Bay City Butcher. You are really ready for this. Lol.

4. Posting style. Mine is usually a pic of my charrie, name, color text, and the only font I use is times new roman. I just like the way they look. And for me, its more pleasant to read.

Simple_Imperfections
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:25 pm

4. For mean, that's extremely difficult to read.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Simple_Imperfections on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:40 pm

For the color text, I don't mean the whole thing. i just meant like the talking parts. To distinguish it from thoughts and actions. That I like, but the other stuff is optional I guess.

Simple_Imperfections
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:04 pm

The amount of colored text used isn't the problem: Is the use of colored text. Especially the most popular colors (bright ones, like ambers, yellows, or pale blues). Including a picture of your character with every post is vain, wastes space, and... it's silly. It's very silly. And the website's default font is great for reading off a screen; Times New Roman is a printing prompt, and should only be used in print.

So, I would very much appreciate it if we all posted like normal people. I don't mean to be a crotchety old man, but... goddamned millennials.

Also: How do we all feel about characters discussing vulgar subjects, and using vulgar language? Elisabeth can get kind of gross.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jibber Jabber on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:09 pm

At the least, I use a small character name title to distinguish posts. I also tend to use speech colors but that can be dropped.

If there is a lot of characters I tend to use a small gif or picture along with the title.

Font, I don't like serif fonts. I don't care about vulgarity.

Bay City Butcher gave me an unexpectedly good laugh.

Jibber Jabber
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aerineth on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:46 pm

So is this a go? Because I'm really intrigued reading through this. If you're in need of a mayor I could come up with something, though I hope I can tap into the brainstorming power I've seen so far to help come up with additional resources that the mayor would control (and in later plots, could be wrested away!)

I'm thinking the benevolent fascist. This city is in the shitter, and the only way to keep it from devouring itself is to hold onto it with an iron fist. There's no stopping crime, there's only controlling it. The ignorant masses don't know what's best for them, so it's up to a strong leader to tell them what they want and when they want it. As far as casualties... well. Such is the price of greatness - at least this way their miserable existence will contribute to something useful.

I could go male or female with this, undecided. Would definitely make for interesting leadership styles either way.

aerineth
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:26 pm

As long as no one is as obnoxious as the second post in this thread, I can at least read what you say without difficulty.

As far as pictures and gifs go, why are they necessary? Do you forget who your characters are? Or title cards to "distinguish posts." Your username is next to your posts, my username is next to mind, Simple's will be next to hers, so on and so forth.

As far as Aerineth's question goes:

"The only way to keep it from devouring itself"

"There's no stopping crime"

You make it sound like the Mayor has given up. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I thought our consensus was whoever the Mayor is, they've been a crap bag since day one. Your idea of a fascist, I think, is taking that in a different direction: The Mayor we've come up with has no convictions, or morals, and enjoys the city being a clusterfuck because he's in charge of it, and every time it slips closer to anarchy, it's by his design. Most Mayors balance the checkbook; he balances chaos and order as it benefits him. Like an evil accountant.

He achieves greatness not through his own sacrifice, but by painlessly sacrificing others. He doesn't lose sleep over it, like your benevolent fascist does.

However I think we all agreed that he acts like he's a benevolent communist.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aerineth on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:04 pm

I think maybe I painted a too optimistic picture, so let me clarify. Adjustments of course can always be made.

No character starts out a maniacal shitbag, they need some kind of motivation. My idea is someone that grew up in the city, had their dreams crushed early, and looks at benevolence through a lens of severe cynicism. There is no self sacrifice, only control, because control is the only way that works. Sacrificing others is done by rote, daily routine. That's what they're there for. This mayor sleeps like a baby. I'm thinking maybe they left for a time and came back with a shiny new identity and a plan. The benevolent rationalization is mostly for the mayor's benefit, but deep deep down, it's really a political hate-fuck. Think Wilson Fisk in Netflix's Daredevil.

The anarchy is a form of control. Anarchy left unchecked benefits no one. Anarchy caused by puppet strings pulled is a series of careful checks and balances. It's chaos with a plan, a plan that funnels inward, directing the real power to the mayor. This mayor is power hungry, fueled more by ambition than greed, but greed is the center of that power.

If you think it should be more maniacal and evil, I can spin it to be darker, but it makes motivations a little harder to justify.

aerineth
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 pm

1: His motivation is being a maniacal shitbag :)

2: That qualification, though, while interesting, just made me realize an interesting dichotomy in western film: A young, cynical, brooding good-intentions bad-methods villain is a whiny, bitching Anakin. An mid-40's, paunch, cynical, brooding man in a coat is a Bond villain. It's funny how ageism affects the reception of characters. But more on that in a Discussion and Debate thread I'm going to start later.

3: All the hate-fucking and order-under-the-guise-of-chaos is what (I think?) we've all agreed on.

4: ...I kind of wanna play the Bay City Butcher. Speaking of Daredevil, I'm a fan of the Punisher. But since this is going to be a gritty, gripping, serious, graphic sexplosion murderganza, he isn't going to be a war vet/officer avenging a murdered family and cleaning the corruption of a failed police precinct in relatively sleepy New York; he's a fucked-up-in-the-head delusional maniac who sees himself as an angel of death: Vengeance incarnate, divine retribution, judge, jury, and executioner.

He is...

The Bay City Butcher.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aerineth on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:05 pm

1: I'll take it

2: I think it's the the ratio of cynicism to brooding they give them. The young characters are usually portrayed as chock full of brooding, but new to this whole cynicism bag. The old folks have seen some shit - there's not much new to them, and they keep their brooding on the down low. When they don't, it gets as messy as whiny Anakin, or close to. ...but I'll keep an eye out for that discussion. ahem

And I'd love to play 3, but if not let me know where you guys start so I can at least watch 4. Yes, please to that Punisher hold the pouting with an extra side of psychosis.

aerineth
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Simple_Imperfections on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm

1. @Aerinth YAY! More people. Welcome aboard. You are more than welcome than to play the mayor. It seems you and Plagiarism are discussing how he should be portrayed so I am leaving that up to him. I honestly can see the mayor becoming more cynical as he goes through his term instead of just starting out that way. But that is just me.

2. Posting. Fine. We don't have to do pictures. I just like pretty post. But whatever I don't need them. However. Since we have multiple characters and I am requiring Names tag/plate things. Just to be able to tell who is who for my sake. I have issues. Let's cater to them. Font will not be altered. Even though I love times new roman. But fine. Print blah blah. Font color for speech, I would like to make it mandatory. Just to tell apart which character is speaking. I will personally see to it that no one else that joins picks obnoxious colors. They have to be dark enough to read, but not blend in the text. If you want me to be GM these are my font terms.

3. Plagiarism you can be the Bay City Butcher.

4. Vulgar is good.

5. Literacy? I just want to know how much you want for each post and how often.

Hopefully I did not miss anything....

Simple_Imperfections
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

2: Your writing quality should make which character is speaking clear and your characters should be different enough that their speech is distinct. I write very, very dialogue heavy (courtesy of always playing 2+ characters that like to argue) so maybe I've just learned the right amount of non-dialogue to break up speech and make it clear, but.. I mean, you don't see books printed with speech in pretty colors.

But I do appreciate you setting aside your aesthetic superfluous taste for my sake.

As far as "name plates" go... you mean a big header? Because... why? We should all know who each other's characters are, if we don't we have the character's tab and the nice little character tags at the sides of our posts, and... well, brains. You know, to be able to remember those things?

And I switch back and forth between writing character groups, especially when a post passes time and I don't want to write a transition. I don't break my posts into "Group 1 section" and "Group 2 section." So, by my assumption of what name plates are and how they're used, that sounds like it isn't going to work.

3: He isn't the hero the city needs. He's the boot-up-the-ass it deserves.

5: I assume we're all different level writers. Mostly because I'm smug, and I look down on everyone who uses colored dialogue as a sycophants, Luddites, or worse (hey, at least I'm honest about it). I tend to write a lot when I want to, and when I do so I post less often to give everyone time to read, but if we're doing something faster I can write less.

It would be nice if we all agree to not go off on a tangent and post some-ought 20 times a day, leaving everyone else behind. 'cus that sucks.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!