Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory »

Players Wanted: Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) »

Introducing myself, I guess

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Introducing myself, I guess

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Genereicusername on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 am

Hello there, everyone. Introducing myself as "Genericusername" because my motivation for an elaborate username is lacking. I've joined this website due to a recent interest in role-playing. Having been aware of the concept throughout my digital journey on the internet, it was always obscured though. What exactly were these people participating in? So, I finally decided to investigate.

I see role-play as an inventive way to develop your language skills. The process of creating stories together with people sounds appealing. I would like to see my enthusiasm for learning more about the English language being used through the medium of role-play.

However, I do feel my current writing abilities are below average. Conveying imaginary scenarios is what I predict I will struggle with. My use of everyday vocabulary is comprised of common words, and my grammar being the basics, essentially. Regardless of those circumstances, I am very eager to acquire more knowledge. It's more educational, for me. And I wanted to try something new.

With all of that said, I look forward to being acquainted with you all.

Thanks for reading this brief introduction.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Genereicusername
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Re: Introducing myself, I guess

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am

Welcome! I like the username .

So glad to have you here! I think you're really going to immerse and enjoy writing through roleplay. You are absolutely correct when you say roleplay is an avenue to improve one's writing skills. There are so many talented writers here & most if not all are eager to assist you on your journey!

There are plenty of Universes to join— I always recommend The Multiverse as a starting point, but I basically live there, hahaha

Do you have any genres you prefer to write in? Science Fiction, horror? I like things with an element of whimsical abstraction, and tend to gravitate towards more fantasy settings.

Again welcome! Stop by the new chat, too: chat.roleplaygateway.com
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby ChaoticMarin on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:42 pm

I certainly learned a lot more from roleplaying than from English class when it came to bettering myself. And the best part was, some of it translated to English! Easy Grades. >.o Do keep in mind, though, that some of our most treasured authors wrote books for children using very simple language. Dr. Seus deliberately limited his vocabulary! It's important to recognize writing as a form of art and by extension communication, rather than a traditional skill with a linear improvement path.

Regardless, welcome to the site!
“I eat my enemies for breakfast; even when I already ate breakfast, and brunch!”

“But in my heart, I sometimes wish they would atone so that I could be that close to a friend.”

Check out my likes and dislikes post and my profile. Then hit me up!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

ChaoticMarin
Member for 10 years
Beta Tester Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Recruiter Cult Leader Hordemaster Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver Concierge Visual Appeal Donated!

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Genereicusername on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:07 pm

lostamongtrees wrote:Do you have any genres you prefer to write in? Science Fiction, horror? I like things with an element of whimsical abstraction, and tend to gravitate towards more fantasy settings.

Nothing in particular for having a preferred genre. As I've recently taken interest in improving my writing capabilities, I only see it as an avenue to improving my lexicon. My default style is probably just informative writing due to irl circumstances. Nevertheless, I still need to actually participate in some form of role-play before I decide which genre I want to pursue.

ChaoticMarin wrote:I certainly learned a lot more from roleplaying than from English class when it came to bettering myself. And the best part was, some of it translated to English! Easy Grades. >.o Do keep in mind, though, that some of our most treasured authors wrote books for children using very simple language. Dr. Seus deliberately limited his vocabulary! It's important to recognize writing as a form of art and by extension communication, rather than a traditional skill with a linear improvement path.

I'm saying simplistic language is what I primarily use to communicate with people through a digital medium. My usage of vocabulary also is common words. One-dimensional is exactly what I feel like, right now, in regards to writing. I honestly just see the whole role-play thing as a way to improve, in general. Any appreciation for literature is lost on me, sadly. It'll take some time for it to become an acquired hobby of mine.

Thanks for the welcome, though.

Genereicusername
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby EarthWanderer08 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Just remember that there are quite a few people, like myself, who are really simple about how they get their kicks. Commitment to any scene is the key factor, immersion of self into the character for authentic responses and organic actions from the perspective of the character...well that is the thing that excites me the most. Being able to do that with at least 5 sentences per post is literally the minimum for me.

So don't worry, not everyone is on here writing books for posts, although trust me when I saw that you will see it from time to time with the old timers.Use the word you know but let your imagination run wild with possibilities when in character and wanting to try something, even if it's just to get your character from point A' to point B.

Most of us hang out in the new chat: chat.roleplaygateway.com

EarthWanderer08
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Beta Tester Tipworthy Person of Interest Greeter Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!