An item I made for an Amazing Adventures campaign...

a topic in RPG Design, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

An item I made for an Amazing Adventures campaign...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhiteleeMartinze on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:18 am

Wrench of Wrangling: A plain, nondescript wrench that is usable by the gadgeteer class. It deals 1d12+3 with a 16-20 crit range, and it autocrits, no confirmation needed. As a special effect, this wrench unlocks a companion for the gadgeteer, the sentry: This cute little thing comes with a rifle packed right in! It takes 3 turns to fully deploy and is immobile. It has a range 30 feet, and deals 3d4+4 on hit. It has AC: 15 and HP: 3d6+2. Deployable twice per day and requires metal on hand. Made by one of the finest gadgeteers know to mankind, this wrench somehow has odd construction abilities. Hit some spare metal, and soon you’ll have a loyal little sentry! Make sure no Frenchmen go near it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WhiteleeMartinze
Member for 0 years

Re: An item I made for an Amazing Adventures campaign...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Sounds like it's based on the d20 system, in which case I'm going to have to say that that's pretty high powered. First of all, there's literally nothing that has a 16-20 crit range. Second, anything that auto-crits on threat would require some kind of secondary magical effect, like the paladin's bless weapon that lets you auto confirm against evil targets. Third, have you found any magic items that are similar in function that you can compare their prices and effects with this?

Keep in mind that a wearable brooch that auto-stabilizes you and saves you from death once and is then destroyed is considered strong enough that it's priced for a 15th level character. Also keep in mind that it has very low AC and HP for the strength of its offense...any half-decent archer could take it out in a full attack action from beyond its range. Even the lowliest of fireballs could do the job. But the 16-20 and auto crit seems very high powered considering how easily it's removed as a threat.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!