Joining an RP

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

Joining an RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Holdesta on Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Ok so let me preface this with a bit of history so my frustration can be understood. I am first of all in real life graduating college, a teacher, actress and book writer. I have been roll playing all my life and particularly online for about eight years now. My old site Flatearth.com was dominated mostly by 17-25 year olds. I worked my way from a newbie to a admin then due to an influx of very young temper driven writers we lost our older crowd and we shut it down since the young crowd refused to respect the rules. So my whole background come from encourageing teamwork, creativity and most of all the story. Be it a play, book, lesson etc I make decisions based on what is best overall for the story.

Ok so I hunted untill I found this sight which truth be told is a lot more formatted than my last one. There we welcomed anyone, encouraged anyone and you NEVER needed to ask to join an RP unless it was specified that it was private. Why might you ask? Because we WANTED people to add to our stories. We WANTED the creative input and often people got over thier fear of joining specifically because they did not have to beg to join. If you could write yourself in well you were in end of story. There was no ownership like a property line, the story belonged to everyone. Your chraracter belongs to you but part of the fun of RP is the UNEXPECTED.

So I found a story that had only two posts and wrote a response, and at the risk of sounding stuck up, I think I wrote in very well. There had been no warning that this was invite only and it was not marked private. So instead of a friendly warning or a hey you should have asked, the author instantly killed my chracter and said HAHA that will teach you to join an RP without being invited. I mean seriously are we five? Why would you want to preplan a free form RP that is the point and WHAT is with this ownership stuff? Ok if he felt I crossed a line, say so, I appologize and we go from there but there was no need to destroy a perfectly good character add in for the sake of a tiny pride prick. And to be honest I was totally caught off gaurd. It was like seeing a ball on the ground near some other kids playing picking it up and tossing it back to them only to have them come over shove you down and yell at you to not play cause they didn't say you could touch THIER ball. But the ball was just sitting there... I thought that the joy was derived from the story, I have always based decisions on what was best for the story not the glory of my chracter because it was MINE.

I am curious about thoughts on this from this community. Perhaps you as a collective operate differently, but perhaps you may decide I have a point. Well at any rate any level of person is ALWAYS welcomed to share thier creativity with me.
Last edited by Holdesta on Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is truth in Life and Love...Live Truthfully

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Holdesta
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Joining an RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sesha on Sun May 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Wow you have an excellent point! When I first joined here everyone was amazingly welcoming. Then I was off for about four months and now I have finally made it back and all of my old buddies seem to have vanished. The newer crowd is still awesome but they seem to be stricter with their RPs as well. Although I have never seen anyone kill a good character like this. I think that if it's not marked Private or Invite Only then all the populace should feel free to join. So you have my support!
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/sesha-t22117.html <--- My character profiles
Follow the populace and you will be popular.
Follow your mind and you will be purposeful.
Follow your heart and you will live.
-Vigilante

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sesha
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm

I would like to apologize first and foremost. I am sure that came as shock that your persona was killed off without any warning. I can speak for myself, unless I open an RP in the in-character section always advertise in the OOC section because while there are all manner and skill levels of role-players on this site, I prefer to not have one-liner, two-dimensional neko vampire werewolf emo children in my role-plays.

There are a good many developed and mature role-players here as well as the aforementioned ones, the best way to see who is who is to read the OOC post for the role-play you are interested in joining. That being said, I think that killing you off that way without sending you a PM asking you to remove the post is incredibly immature and cast a bad light on the rest of us. Please, once again accept my apology on behalf of the site to not judge us on one incident. I know the adage, we only get once chance at a first impression, I hope I have at least tempered your first impression somewhat.

Skall
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Superfly on Sun May 25, 2008 8:40 pm

I agree with you, and I support your post 100%. I hope you will give the site another chance, I'm a newbie, but I have found it very pleasant.

Superfly
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

On another note; for someone being a teacher and book writer, you sure do have a sum of grammatical mistakes. Then again, you never did claim to be perfect. Nor do those you role-play with.

Matthias
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Holdesta on Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 am

To all those that supported me thank you. I recived a very gracious appology from the other party involved and consider the matter for me closed. I am now aware of how this community opperates and am glad to adjust my ways.

And to Matthias: I teach theatre which is not English class and as for the grammer, that is why book editors are Gods :)

Holdesta
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lake on Tue May 27, 2008 7:14 pm

There are many types of roleplayers, just as there are many types of people. Some people are dicks, some role-players a dicks. Some people are kind, some role-players are kind. I'm sorry to hear that this happened on the site, but that's what you get when you have a very open and accepting forum.

There are times when you have to choose between instant-reply role-plays with only one line and poor grammar or the longest, most literate posts in a paragraph role-play that could belong in a short story novel. You just need to find your perfect still, and as Skall had mentioned, look for the OOC Thread. If there is none, private message the author with your character and a request to join. Even if in your old forum you didn't have to be asked to join, that seems to be the case on many topics here.

I apologize as well for how you were treated though.
This signature is naked. Help by clothing it!

Lake
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cw Hart on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 am

I respect a person who can own up to their mistakes, glad you can work it ouy and now that I have read this I know that this site acts alittle differently than most I have joined. I guess to be on the safe side I should pm every GM before joining their rp.
Last edited by Cw Hart on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cw Hart
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby QueenLLH on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:14 am

I can't believe someone did that on this site, but I'm used to making a bio before being accepted into the RP. It's just the way I've been doing things for awhile now. I'm pretty new to the site in itself; I haven't joined or been accepted in any RP yet. I'm currently working on a bio and I'd be pleased to RP with you if we could find some common ground. I try to be open-minded whenever it's possible. Sometimes, I don't notice EVERY detail or I totally miss a point; like you don't just walk up to someone and hug them if they're badly WOUNDED. I'm still learning as far as things go.
I don't want a signature. Come back later and I might've changed my mind :D

QueenLLH
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 am

As everyone else has said, I am terribly sorry that this happened to you.

I know you said the issue is closed, but I want this to be there for other members who may have had an issue such as this.

Firstly, I'd like you to know you can always come to staff about issues like this. You can always come to me personally, if you'd like. I'm on a good bit, and am always accessible through PM. I get an email when I get a PM and check it almost immediately each time I get one.

Secondly, as others have said, it's best to see if the RP has an OOC has thread first before posting in the actually RP thread. That's a practice that has become common around here: A lot of people try to recruit in OOC threads first, and prefer that ALL OCC posts be posted in the OOC thread rather than the RP.

Lastly, most people who really think out their RPs will list a few of the basic rules in the first post of the RP thread, even if they already stated it in the OOC thread. If they don't, I consider it their own fault if people start posting in the RP thread because they didn't tell them to do otherwise. I mean, some people just don't read the rules, but a lot of times it's because they simply didn't say you had to contact them first. When I make an RP, I make sure to say I want a basic profile and/or intention of the character PMed to me for approval before they post.

But, as others have said (have I said that enough in this post?), it's always better to be on the safe side and PM the GM of the RP.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!