Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Kai's Art Corner

a topic in Artwork, a part of the RPG forum.

Show off and solicit your artistic skills! Here you can request a character drawing, sell your artistic skills, or even learn how to improve your not-so good skills.

Kai's Art Corner

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Hey folks,

So my schedule doesn't usually allow for a lot of side projects, but every once in a while I have random bits of time to do something quick and fun. I thought I would start posting up some of my personal work here whenever possible. Feel free to browse, comment, critique, etc.

To start, these are two renderings of the Ando house that I finished recently for a lighting challenge. The house was modeled and provided by Giorgio Luciano. Textures, lighting, landscaping, and post work was done by me.

HIGH-RES VERSION: http://yelena3d.com/CG/Ando_House_Ext.jpg

HIGH-RES VERSION: http://yelena3d.com/CG/Ando_House_Int.jpg
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy

Re: Kai's Art Corner

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Another rendering for an interior lighting challenge. This one is more of a WIP. It still needs a lot of refinement, but the deadline for the challenge dawned a few days ago without me having any time to sit down and iron out the issues. Maybe I'll go back later and finish it properly.

Anyway, the challenge was to take the photo bellow and make a rendering that looks as close to it as possible. Model was, again, provided by the talented Giorgio Luciano. Everything else was my work.

Photo:

Rendering:
>>HIGH RES VERSION<<

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smoppet on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:31 am

These are very beautiful renderings! Wonderful job!

Smoppet
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks, Smoppet :)

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Let's try something a little different. Here is a super early WIP rendering... I recently dug up an old model of a chess set that I created about 4.5 years ago and decided to put it to some use. Conveniently enough, just this week I got access to both 3ds Max 2015 and Vray 3.0 so I'm using this rendering as a means of testing out some of the new features of both.

The main idea behind this image will be to capture the dramatic end-game of a chess match. When the king is beaten and the check-mate is called.

Moving forward, I'm planning on adding a lot more detail to the image. This will inclue the other chess pieces, variations of grime and dirt, debris scattered around, and some more work on the lighting. I'm thinking of cracking and breaking the white king apart a bit more as well as adding some volumetrics to add to the drama factor.

If anyone has any comments or ideas for this, feel free to shout them out. I'll be posting progress as I continue to work on this more.

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 pm

This isn't art, really, but I'm picking up a fun new hobby of making jewelry. Just something to get myself away from the computer for a while and do something creative with my hands. Here is my first attempt at a Celtic bracelet. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out :)

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 pm

A couple more creations.

Wire-wrap pendant, made from a youtube tutorial. I didn't have round-nose pliers on-hand yet so I tried to use chain-nose pliers for the loops. The results were a little less than stellar, but it was a good learning experience for future projects:

Viking-knit necklace. Not perfect, but I'm particularly happy with how this came out. I'm planning on trying out a few variations with this technique and using it as a starting point for creating some viking-inspired jewelry. As an off-hand, when I put it on I also discovered that the clasped end of it looks fancy enough to be worn in the front :) Or it can be worn with the clasp in the back for a very simple and cool look:

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Time for some chain mail. Been experimenting with some different weaves and patterns, mostly on bracelets.

Byzantine Chainmail Bracelet, set with a dark rose jewel.

Box Chainmail Bracelet, set with three jewels.

Dragonscale Chainmail Bracelet

Wire woven Ring. I created this one from an online tutorial while taking a small break from another project.

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lialore on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Your renders are cray. How long do they take you?

And super pretty jewellery, the Celtic bracelet is probably my favourite, but the dragonscale chainmail one is pretty nifty too.

10/10, would wear :P
Comrade:
I didn't know Dashmiel was a he.
Dashmiel:
That's what she said.

Lialore
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Haha thanks :)

I couldn't give you an exact time count, but I think it was somewhere between 25-30 hours per rendering for the first three. I didn't have to model anything, though, so that saved me some time. The chess set, I modeled about 5 years ago (I think it took me 2 full days to complete the set) and the proof of concept rendering took me about 3 hours to set up. I've been continuing work on it on select days after work so I'll have an update on it at some point in the future.

And there will be more Celtic jewelry coming soon. I have 2 projects in the works right now and about 3 more lined-up right after. Glad you like the completed ones :)

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kai on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Had some time this week to sit down and build a simple 3D scene to test out the Corona rendering engine. Some post processing done in Photoshop.

Higher-res image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kai on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Digging more into Corona's materials and lighting with a tavern scene today. This is an early work in progress. Still lots to do but happy with the direction this is taking so far.

Higher-res image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 2.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Kai, these are beautiful to look at. Are they all for roleplay things?

Also, it's great to see you around the site still!
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

Stunning letter from autistic survivor of electric shock torture in USA

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Kai on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Ylanne! Great to see you around :)

Thank you :) These are just some personal projects I do every once in a while. I barely have time for it since actual paid work keeps me busy but sometimes can still sit down and tinker. The last two images I'm working on mostly just to test out a new rendering engine.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 am

I really like the BubbleBurst. It has a fantasy surrealist feel to it. The lighting and reflections of that center bubble looks really cool. The background also evokes a colosseum imagery.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 8 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kai on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank you. That's what I was going for with that image and am glad that it comes through as intended :)

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Went back to finish an image from a while back. Here is the final checkmate.

Higher-res image

Kai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 am

You know, the original image looked really strange to me. The slight curvature of the fallen king piece made the world seem, for a lack of a better word, bubbly?

It seemed squishy and not rigid. Like all the pieces were made of jello or some stretchy elastic substance.

This new image, I still see that with the king, but the background confirms this and makes it feel like the new 'normal' of this world.

The pieces in the background to the right of the bishop?? are a little bit harder to make out. Is that a white pawn? What is that fallen black piece?

I can make out the rook? Whose head seems bent at a very sharp angle, which makes it stand out for me from the curvature in the other pieces.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 8 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.