Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Katrina Relief

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

Katrina Relief

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:04 pm

http://www.animemetro.com/forum/topic.a ... C_ID=17763

Yeah, it's on AM. I'm making sure this information is everywhere I go. Help in any way that you can.
Last edited by Remæus on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JimBob on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:30 pm

Eric, you're so thoughtful. <3 <3 <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

JimBob
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:04 am

I know there is a very low likelihood of this information being useful to anyone, but I thought I'd mention it since the subject came up. Maybe someone has some friends that this may be more useful to. I am personally hosting a Halo 2 tournament in the city of Yuma, Arizona, on Tuesday at 3:45 PM for the Hurricane Katrina victims with the help of some of my friends. We've got over 50 people signed up in just two days, and by Tuesday we expect to have closer to 100. Entry fee is $3.00 if you pre-register and $5.00 at the door. Bring your own controller or you can rent one for 50 cents. I've gotten permission to hold the tournament in the Cibola High School in the library and use some of their equipment. Absolutely ALL proceeds go to the Red Cross. If all goes well, this should be the largest Halo 2 tournament in this small city to date.

Our goal is to make at least $300, however thanks to the publicity we've gotten from networks like the Korova Magazine, several Myspace announcements, and word of mouth, we have also gotten many donations to help support the cause as. We're already nearing close to the $300 mark.

If we score $300, my group of friends and I will pool our money together (on top of the money we've already donated and paid in full for our own entry fees) and see if we can match it to double it. Then the school will match it, and then we intend to have Lowes match it as well. In effect, we will be able to turn $300 into $2,400. We're working to see if we can get Wal-Mart to match this number as well to turn it into $4,800.

So if you or anyone you know are in the general area, come down and help support the cause. Channel 11 news will do a report on this and the winners will have a chance to go on television.

If would like to know about the maps we will be use, game settings, or any other information you can instant message me on AIM at SinfulSoul4000 or E-mail me SinfulSoul4000@gmail.com
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:08 am

Geez Sin, charity machine.

For the record, I already donated a good chunk of cash. I don't know how much, something upward of ten bucks, I just emptied my wallet. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm a poor college student and that much money can go a long way if I need it to.
Live in your world, get KOed in mine.

ImageImage

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:27 am

If every poor college student in the US donated 25 cents by grabbing a $1.00 water bottle just for one day instead of a $1.25 soda, Red Cross would still have over a million dollars to help support the cause.

Your $10 dollars went a long way.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Southern Wind on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:39 am

Sinful man, that's great. If possible, i'd like to try an steal it an create one around here, if ya' don't mind.

The Southern Wind
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Senor_Fun on Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:05 am

Don't send it to the Red Cross, unless you're already commited. I'm no liberal, but I have my doubts.

That aside, we're already getting loads of victims here in Texas, I talked with a few at my school the other day. Most are here to stay.

Senor_Fun
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:05 am

Go ahead. It'd be great if we could get the incredibly huge gaming community to help contribute to this. EVERYONE has some sort of gaming console and there are incredibly popular games for each one. The favored console from my experience in hosting these things is that X-box is currently the crowd favorite and the easiest to sponsor tournaments on (Among all the multi-platform games, everyone I've met consistantly agrees that they'd rather play a multiconsole game (such as Maddan) on the X-box over any of the other two). Super Smash Bros Melee also draws a big crowd, and never count the PC games out. Counterstrike rakes in about $200 for with a standard $5.00 entry fee. So yeah, video games are a great way to sponsor money if you're willing to put in a little bit of campaigning time.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roxy on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:36 pm

I feel so sorry for all of those people. I have yet to donate money, But I will soon.

Roxy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:34 am

It's bad. Real bad.

http://earth.google.com/katrina.html

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=97127 <---- this one is the best so far

Use Google Earth and look at before and after pictures. Biloxi bridge is gone.

You can use the transparency slider on that second link to overlay the images.

There's pylons left, and that is about it.

I'mma give some more money.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Melika on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:56 pm

I haven't gotten my orders to go yet but My sister, brother, father and I are all going to be assigned to Long Beach, Mississippi for hurricane relief. We'll be in the cleanup and rebuild work. Long Beach is located next to Gulfport.

We had the opportunity to work on roofing for six months (every other weekend) last year and early this year for all the hurricanes that his us in Florida. So now that we have experience, we'll be learning new things in Long Beach. We'll be able to work with the same crew too, which rocks cause we all became friends roofing, lol. About 100 peeps in all that I know of just from our crew. And there were many crews.

So while I can't donate financially, that'll be my contribution to the relief work. I personally will be able to stay for a month at a time to work, the rest of my family only a week. They've agreed to help support me while I'm gone. I'm excited and can't wait for my orders to go. ^______^

Melika
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amikira on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 am

Wait... You plan on staying in Longbeach without me? Chica, that's not happening. There's no way I'm coming back home after one week of work if our parents are allowing you to stay. I'll save up every penny to be able to pay my own way if need be. You have no idea how useless I feel waiting to go help out. I plan on going back there as often as possible and for as long as possible (though I would like to come back home every couple weeks to keep up my relationship with Tsume and let Socrates know I haven't abandoned him). Just so everyone else who's reading this knows, Tsume is my parrot is Socrates my dog. :p

Our family also donated a couple hundred dollars to the relief work right after Katrina hit. Thought dad had mentioned that to you too. So, we began to help out as soon as the whole thing happened. I still won't feel right until we go to Longbeach and start rebuilding things. I need to get hands-on to feel satisfied that I've done my part. And by that, I mean more than just one week of work. Pfft.

Amikira
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.