Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor

Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor

a part of “Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor”, a fictional universe by Alex Tyverian.

The world of Kodama is a character driven Asian themed fantasy setting similar to Feudal Era Japan.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 am

Rules and character sheet info for "Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor". The setting information is complete for now, so it's officially open! Feel free to submit characters! Posting is also open, don't be afraid to dive in and start a thread. There's a lot of city out there to explore!

Rules of the Land

The setting creator is here to keep things from getting out of hand, provide background characters, and dangle delicious plot hooks in front of you now and again. While I do my best to be available I can't have eyes on the forum at all times. I encourage you to form relationships and think of mini plots! Just run anything city-shaking by me first. Below are a few additional rules I'd like you to abide by.

1. Be Kind, Unwind.
We should all strive to be friendly to others OOC, and to give new players a warm welcome and a helping hand. Along with this, we must have patience with others. I will be keeping an eye out for those who like to take jabs at others people on a continual basis, as well as other forms of harassment. Make the play environment too grating OOC and you will be booted.

2. Hey You, Stop Hitting Yourself! Stop Hitting Yourself!
When violence erupts In Character, and believe us, it will, you should have an idea of how to roleplay combat politely. In general, when you phrase your actions you should leave room for your opponent to counter. It is also important to take a hit once in awhile. This trading of blows keeps the danger and suspense real. You should never begin a fight expecting to win, but also keep a realistic view of your character's skill level and abilities. Most of all, you should always allow your opponent a fair avenue of escape. Below are examples of what we consider unfair play.

The Unstoppable Force
Jack The Samurai: draws his blade and cuts Aku the Oni in two, as blood sprays around him.
Aku the Oni: (wtf! unfair!)

The Immovable Object
Jack the Samurai: steels himself before his greatest foe, gripping the hilt of the Katana sheathed at his side. He draws his blade in one smooth motion, slashing out at his enemy.
Aku the Oni: lifts his kanebo in quick defense, deflecting every attack with great ease, he laughs mockingly in the face of his enemy.

3. Ultimate Powerrrrr!
All players should refrain from abusing magic and other power, after all the characters are mortal men. Characters should not be capable of destroying towns and villages with a bat of their eyelashes. Characters attempting to wield this kind of power will be banned without mercy. A truly powerful character can show it in more subtle ways.

4. No Fandom Characters. This Means You, Inuyasha!
This setting has a specific flavor that I seek to maintain, and as such I do not allow characters from other settings. I recommend that you play original characters developed for the Kodama setting. I do not allow planar travel and other forms of migration; all characters must be born and raised in this setting. If you can't resist the urge to play your favorite characters here you should do your best to mold them to fit the existing setting. All characters should be original enough that they will not be recognized as copies of another source material.

5. You Are Not The True King!
In this setting, the Eternal Emperor is the supreme ruler of the country of Kodama and is the only one who may pacify Oroborus; the Shogun is his second in command. Both of these roles are NPCs controlled by the setting creator. If you do want to play nobility you may create a character who is a member of the Gentry Caste.

6. Die Chair Die!
We ask that your characters refrain from chewing on the scenery too much. After all, the Jade Dragon Inn can't realistically be set on fire five times a day and still manage to keep it's doors open. Minor damage such as breaking a table, chair, or rice paper screen is not a problem. But when an earthbender throws a boulder through an entire section of wall, the damage becomes a little too extreme. If you do want to destroy some property, please Private Message Alex_Tyverian and wait for permission.

7. NPCs Are Not The Other White Meat.
Non Player Characters can be used by players to create an atmosphere. After all, you need bartenders and cooks to serve you in the Inn, as well as merchants to sell you goods in the Bazaar. We ask that you use them with good judgment and not abuse the privilege. NPCs are not cows for the slaughter, nor are they cheerleaders or puppets to follow your every command mindlessly. Every NPC is an individual person after all, and treating them unkindly should rightfully have consequences.

8. I Am The Law!
A user cannot create rules for other players to obey (i.e. "You can't kill my character without permission"). This is considered bad form and will generally result in a warning and the demand that the rule be retracted. Users can, however, ask politely that other players refrain from certain actions. (IE "Please don't kill my character without permission"). This is a legitimate request, which can be agreed to or refused by the opposite party. Conflicts of this manner that cannot be settled peaceably among yourselves should be taken to me.

9. Is It My Turn Yet?
Posting order can be a real pain sometimes, but at the same time it can be necessary during combat and other time-sensitive exchanges. Posting order is not heavily enforced in Kodama but we also expect our users to give others a fair chance to respond and react to their actions.

10. Imitation Is Not Flattery.
If you chose to use a character image, please include the name of the artist and/or a link back to the site where you found the art in your character bio. If an artist specifically request that their art not be used, I would prefer that you heed that request. Plagiarism, such as taking credit for an image or section of character history that is not your own, is forbidden.

What I would like to see in a character sheet

At minimum I'd like to see the following

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Skills:
Magic (if applicable):
History:

Below is a character bio of mine, to give an example of what would make me really happy to see!

Hotaru of the Sazanami Order

Appearance
Caste: Gentry
Height: 5'
Build: Short and slight
Hair: Black
Eyes: Light brown

Typical Clothing: Should ceremony or occasion necessitate it she will wear the appropriate garb, but she is not frequently seen out of the traditional white kimono beneath red hakama and a white over-robe. Her hair is typically tied back neatly and left in a long tail wrapped in a red or white strip of cloth.
Weapons: The only weapons she possesses are her feet and fists. The staff she bears is ceremonial and not to be used for fighting.
Overall Look: Hotaru exudes the peaceful nature those of her order are supposed to possess, but do not mistake this for being a doormat.

Characterization
Interests: History, medicine, philosophy
Disinterests: Idle gossip, cooking, chores
Dislikes: Those who disrespect the order
Favorite Food: Mochi, pork dumplings
Talents: Gardening, penmanship, budding talent for spell magic
Fears: Bloodshed within the monastery, the Eternal Emperor not returning in her lifetime
Hopes: To not live to see Oroborus awaken, to serve the Order well and protect Kodama.
Flaws: While not a doormat Hotaru still hesitates in the face of fighting to solve a problem when it is necessary. She is under-confident and uncertain of her own abilities.
Tastes: Though she personally loves the bright colors and showy displays of spring her possessions are austere and minimalist.
Social Opinions: Everyone has merit, even if you must dig deeply to find it. Sometimes a person's merit is to serve as an example to others, however.

Personal History

Hotaru is the younger sister of Mizuko Tsukino, but unlike Mizuko she did not take well to the family trades of ink making and inkstone carving. Rather than try to force her to fit into a life and occupation she was unsuited for her parents allowed her time to develop skills she was more interested in, and considered adopting her out to a family more suited to her individual strengths. Rather than seeing this as punishment or banishment the Tsukino family considered this the proper route to take in order to give her a better chance for happiness. During their consideration Hotaru took an interest in joining the Sazanami Order, something her parents were quite happy to encourage. At the age of twelve Hotaru was sent to the Sazanami monks as a devotee. She was not terribly sad at having to cut ties with her family as it would have been her fate to join another anyway. She also knew that she would be able to see her sister, friends, and parents again once her training was complete. Her period of initial training was very difficult but fulfilling, and she was grateful to have an understanding mentor to help her with her struggles in finding mastery over her emotions and the will to actively fight for the sake of others when there is no other alternative. Within the past year Hotaru has recently been counted among the ranks of fully fledged nuns and can now go out amongst the main populous of Kodama once more.
Last edited by Alex Tyverian on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Kodama: The Search for the Eternal Emperor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:15 am

P.S Your information page's images are not functioning, try using Tinypic. But overall, I like where this roleplay looks to be going! :]
Last edited by flickery on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

A smilie costs nothing, but in the internet, it is EVERYTHING.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

flickery
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Megumi on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:24 am

Feudal Japan? I'm in. :D

*waits for more information to pop up*

Megumi
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vio-Lance on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:57 am

So! Feudal Japan.

I'm being dead serious when I ask if I could be chinese.
"People should not fear their government.
Governments should fear their people."
"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Behind this mask, there is an idea.
And ideas, Mister Creedy... are bulletproof."

Vio-Lance
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Acer-Ro on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Im interested this sound like fun

Acer-Ro
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thirion1850 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Ooh. Intriguing. *taps chin* I've always wondered if I could play the ronin.

Thirion1850
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhatYouDontKnow on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

im in, PM me when mores up, someone k?
Never shall I forget the time I spent with you. Please continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours. -Ludwig Van Beethoven
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else. -John Burroughs
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. -Dale Carnegie
Watch me not care. -Dilbert
It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. -Marlene Dietrich
You can be in my dreams if i can be in yours. -Bob Dylan

WhatYouDontKnow
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Vio-Lance wrote:So! Feudal Japan.

I'm being dead serious when I ask if I could be chinese.

Well, the atmosphere is like Feudal Japan, and Japan's culture is largely what flavored the world, but this is a fantasy realm. There's none of the old hates between Imperial China and Feudal Japan, if that's what you're asking. However, if you'd like to play someone influenced by China's culture you're welcome to. Our Tengu people are largely influenced by the Chinese culture, despite being traditionally Japanese creatures. There's bound to be plenty of small local cultures on the continent as well!

Ok, everyone! Since I break websites I'm going to start posting world info in the posts below!
Last edited by Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

The World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 am

KODAMA
Imperial Flag of Kodama

Known as the center of the world, Kodama is a country named for it's most identifying feature, the World Tree. The World Tree is so enormous that it remains visible from the mountains of Oni-Ryoudo to the furthest reaches of the Wastes. The lowlands of Kodama are covered in dense jungle and rocky land, remaining mostly uninhabited by man.

The Imperial City of Kodama
The Kodama Tree itself supports an entire state in it's mighty branches. This sprawling city has been built upon and within the tree, where people may live from birth to death without stepping foot on the soil far below. The city is divided by branches, which serve as hubs of activity, and divide the castes from each other.

Umibe
This city serves as a major fishing and trading dock for the Imperial City. Umibe is known for it's vast fleets of fishing vessels, and is also the primary location of Kodama's Navy. The bulk of the city has been built upon the high land, with many homes closer to the sea on stilts to avoid flooding.

Nishiko
Nishiko is a small fishing village to the west of Kodama, known for it's independent nature. Nishiko has remained firmly rooted in old ways, resisting technology and government control. The people of Nishiko are hunters, gatherers, and fishers primarily. Nishiko warriors are known to use blowguns with poisoned darts, and will defend their village at any cost.

Minamijoo
This fortress, sister city of Kitajoo, was created to defend Kodama against the Oni invasion. This fortress would later become home to a Numachi Daimyo who taxed Kodama for Emperor Hiraku. The Kodama rebels eventually killed the Daimyo, and shortly after Kodama was declared independent. It now guards Kodama against encroachment from the north. Minamijoo and Kitajoo are fierce rivals, despite a shared interest in trade.

BORO / BURJ
Flag of Boro/Burj

This fortress city was created by Kodama after their armies were defeated in the first contact battle with the Akuma. Created to serve as a safeguard against invasion, the city walls are made from thick stone. However, with peace between the races, Boro has become a neutral trade site, under shared rule and protection with Akuma. It is one of the few places in Kodama that Ningen are not the majority race.

SEA OF MANA
A sea only by name, this vast body of fresh water lies in between all of the states. Fed constantly by the snow of the Banshi Mountains, the lake distributes fresh water across many smaller rivers and streams. As the primary source of fresh water other than rivers and the sky, the Sea of Mana is considered a blessing and revered by all. The surface of the sea has seen many naval battles in the past, but in these times it's waters are disturbed only by fishing and trade expeditions. Even so, the Sea of Mana is not without it's dangers, as any sailor can profess. Many ships have fallen prey to rough sea storms, and others become the target of pirates. Some ships have disappeared mysteriously, amongst rumors of sea monsters. The Sea of Mana is home to the Naga, the mythic serpentine race.

NUMACHI
Imperial Flag of Numachi

Known for it's vast marshes and endless fields of rice, Numachi is a dissolved empire, with many independent city states. These provinces vary in nature, from cruel taxation to generous prosperity. Some historians believe that Numachi may be the original birthplace of the Ninjen, or "humans," who now dominate the world. There is no denying that Numachi is marked by the passage of man, with signs of ancient civilization lost in the depths of swamps. Much of this unexplored territory is home to the wild Vanara, remaining impassable to humans due to thick vegetation and deadly wildlife.

Kitajoo
This ruined fortress, sister city of Minamijoo, shares a very similar history. Kitajoo was created to defend Kodama against the Oni invasion, but unlike Minamijoo, it would eventually be defeated and razed. While still heavily fortified, Kitajoo has been rebuilt primarily to serve as a trade village. Minamijoo and Kitajoo are fierce rivals, despite a shared interest in trade.

Kippu Ryokan
While not a city per say, Kippu Ryokan is a well known location to many travelers and traders. Near the branch of the river stands an enormous Inn and Tavern, serving as a hub between cities. Kippu Ryokan is named for it's late founder, an eccentric Vanara by the name of Kippu. Over time the size and services provided have grown, and small homes have began to spring up in the area.

Takagake
This small village is home to both Tengu and Ningen. The local Daimyo realized that the Tengu-ji Monks needed a location to trade for goods that could not be produced on the isle, and thus Takagake was created. The Tengu have mixed feelings about this village, some Monks believe the Ningen are too close for comfort. However, this trade city is only continuing to grow with it's success.

Niko
This farming city, known as Dojhilom to the Vanara workers, is one of the largest provinces in Numachi. Niko's primary export is rice, and in fact this one city produces more rice than any of the other nations combined. Niko is ruled by a rich Daimyo, and a large portion of the city's profit is harshly taxed.

Tataraba
This fortress city is located in the center of a shallow lake, built up from below the surface. Tataraba is an iron-sand smelting village, Originally created as a safeguard against the Oni armies. This fortress is now fiercely guarded from greedy Daimyo, defended by cannons and soldiers equipped with matchlock guns. Tataraba trades primarily in iron and gunpowder. The people of Tataraba are fiercely independent, and this town welcomes the poor and unfortunate.

Tsurishi
This village is quite similar to Umibe, serving as the primary port of Numachi. Tsurishi has a massive fishing fleet, which is often the target of Naga attacks. Tsurishi is ruled benevolently by it's aging Daimyo, but maintains a strong military presence.

BANSHI MOUNTAINS
These mountains were formed long ago by natural geological processes, some of which continue to this day. The southern peaks are coated with a permanent blanket of snow, providing a constant source of fresh water into the Sea of Mana. These snowy peaks are covered in alpine forests, inhabited by a variety of wildlife. Far away on the spine of the northern ranges, sparse plants and hardy animals struggle to survive in the intense heat and dry air. Here the ground rumbles with the threats of active volcanoes, and the canyons provide an endless and deadly maze.

AKUMA
This land was formed long ago when a meteorite impacted the Banshi Mountains, forming a large impact crater. Within this protected valley small villages were formed, those that had the benefit of life-giving water would prosper while their neighbors collapsed. Akuma is a land divided into many separate kingdoms, which are constantly at war and under political change.

Sirat al-Jahim
Few outsiders have ever lain eyes upon the beautiful valley of the Akuma and survived. The pass entering the crater is decorated with the rotting bodies and bleached bones of trespassers. This narrow cliff is defended by soldiers both dead and alive, and few dare enter without a seasoned guide and soldiers.

Al Riyadh
Royal Flag of Al Riyadh Kingdom

Known for it's aqueducts and vast gardens, Al Riyadh is the pinnacle of Akuma civilization. While it is often the center of revolution and regicide, it has remained mostly unchanged for centuries. This kingdom produces the bulk of Akuma's food, with it's fresh water and fields of green contrasting against the primarily dry and arid land outside it's gates.

Amjad
Royal Flag of Amjad Kingdom

This kingdom is built upon the ruins of an even older fortress city, all traces of it's creator have been lost to the sands. The strong stone walls form a defense against jealous neighbors, and protect the people from sandstorms. This city is overpopulated, with homes crowded close together. Fed by a pair of rivers, Amjad produces grains and breads primarily for it's own use.

Essam
Royal Flag of Essam Kingdom

This is one of the most successful kingdoms of Akuma, having a strong trade base and serving as a traveling hub. Essam is a mix of traditional and outside cultures, with peasants and mercenaries living in close proximity. Essam is often known as the "City of One Thousand Assassins," and is under constant political change.

ONI-RYOUDO
Territorial Flag of Oni-Ryoudo

This volcanic and savage land is inhabited by the Oni-jin, or "the Ogre People." The land possesses few permanent features, as the volcanic floes serve to constantly shape the geography. Jagged rocks and canyons make up the bulk of the terrain, thrust from the earth. The temperature ranges from hot to unbearable, and there is no true signs of seasons here. Only the most rugged shrubs and weeds survive, and the animals that make this place home are known for exceptional toughness.

Boeki
The only major city of the Oni, Boeki is little more than a collection of tent villages. It serves as a hub of trade, primarily in gold mined by slaves. Numachi merchants risk the dangers of Oni territory to sell their wares at greatly increased prices to the Oni, who in turn barter with their native countrymen for other goods and services. Boeki is extremely dangerous, and trade is often performed by armed warriors.

TENGU-JI ISLE
Territorial Flag of Tengu-Ji

This island rests on the edge of the state of Numachi, but it owes it's allegiances to no country. Nevertheless, the Tengu islanders are considered allies by Numachi and come and go as they please. The island's only man made landmark is the Tengu-ji, or "the Tengu Temple." The Tengu use this island as a meeting place, holding festivals and gatherings here. However, only Tengu monks stay here year round. The Tengu monks that dwell in this temple spend their days in study of nature, practicing ritual skills of medicine and martial arts.

THE WASTES & SANZUKEN MOUNTAINS
The vast deserts of the west were once vibrant, home to a state long forgotten. When Oroborus flooded the world, the unfortunate land was changed, now all that is left is dry dunes as far as the eye can see. It is rumored that deep in the desert lies the ruins of a vast city, filled with untold riches. However, no maps have charted it's location.

Sakuzen Gates
These great gates and battlements once formed a defense against the outside world, but now the ruins serve only as a home for Nezumi, and prime hunting grounds for Slavers. The gates into the Wastes remain firmly closed, yet the Nezumi know secret paths and tunnels to bypass them.

Nezumi no Dokutsu
In these times the deserts are occupied only by the Nezumi-jin, who have found paths between oasis and caverns which they use to survive. Many Nezumi live in the shadowy caves of the Sanzuken Mountains, within canyon lands that provide some protection from constant sandstorms. Deep underground aquifers provide fresh water, fed by the mountain peaks above.

Last edited by Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

Races of the World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 am

NINGEN
Ningen, or "Humans," form the most vastly spread and populous race in the world, accomplishing much in a relatively short time. The average maximum lifespan of a human is seventy years, though many live longer. Humans survive primarily by a lifestyle of cultivation and pastoralism, creating large agriculturally based societies. The human desire to explore and create has spread the race across every mile of uncontested territory, often to the detriment of other races and creatures. The primary religion of humans is the worship of Oroborus and the Eternal Emperor.

Stereotypes
Ningen are universally believed to be a short sighted and prejudiced race, and this has been fostered by their crude and often violent relations with other races. Humans have a strong desire to control and alter the world around them. Humans do not often consider the long term consequences of their constant expansion, being more interested in immediate results. Despite these negative traits, the Ningen are also known to be highly creative and revolutionary. Ningen artistry and culture has had an unrivaled impact on the world, creating permanent change. The Ningen will often admirably try and inevitably fail to live up to unrealistic codes of honor and lofty ideals.

Appearance
The human appearance can vary, but most commonly they have a height under 6' and a compact body type. Hair is usually brown or black, with meager body and facial hair. In old age, human hair grays and falls out. Eyes are of an almond shape, usually colored brown or nearly black, but blue and green are not unheard of. Skin can vary in color from pale ocher to dark brown, but the most commonly seen color is between gold and ocher in color.

VANARA
The Vanara are a race of humanoids more closely resembling monkeys, native to the deep forests of Numachi. They have spread along with humans to many areas of the world, and are not an uncommon sight in Kodama. Vanara reach maturity quickly, and have very short lifespans, living to an average maximum of twenty five years. Vanara in the wild live in primitive tribal societies, creating a cluster of shelters in the treetops with primitive stone tools, yet communicating with a sophisticated language. Vanara in the cities have also adapted well to the human lifestyle, being as intelligent as their Ningen cousins, they do their best to live along side them when they are able. Wild Vanara worship nature with daily and nightly dancing and partying, while many Vanara in the cities have adopted foreign religions.

Stereotypes
Vanara have very short lives, but they fill every day with fun and adventure. They are often considered childish by their cousins, while they believe Ningen take things too seriously. Vanara workers can make even the simplest task into a game, and while this is considered mildly irritating to their overseers, it is one of the few ways to make them useful. Vanara make good entertainers, being naturally acrobatic and hyperactive, many people find their antics amusing. Vanara also make excellent rogues and pickpockets, combining natural climbing ability and dexterity. They are highly inquisitive and bluntly honest, and have been known to badger people to the point of violence. Like other primates, the Vanara have an amazing amount of strength, three times that of the average Ningen. Surprisingly, Vanara can show great courage and organizational ability in battle, and wild Vanara have been resourceful enough to fight off encroaching Ningen. Vanara are intensely loyal, and make friends for life.

Appearance
Vanara have the general human body, but their faces are similar in appearance to those of monkeys, specifically the Rhesus Macaque. However, the Vanara are able to communicate verbally, with intelligence to rival their Ningen cousins. Their voices are often compared to those of human children and teenagers. They average three feet in height, have a long prehensile tail, and are covered head to toe in brown and gray fur. Their faces are pink and hairless, with flat noses and brown eyes. Wild Vanara do not wear clothes, but those that adapt to city life often try to emulate Ningen, usually wearing child sized clothing. Vanara refuse to wear footwear, however, due to the nature of their prehensile feet.

NEZUMI
The Nezumi are a race of rat-men, whose primary homeland is the Wastes, being the only place truly left to them. When captured by other races, Nezumi are enslaved and used for manual labor, often working in mines where they are more suited to the task. Nezumi communicate with the other races primarily through hand signs and broken common, as their vocal chords are more suited to screeches and chirping than to forming coherent words. Therefore Nezumi have a hard time verbally communicating complicated ideas to other races. They can however read and write with the proper education, and can create fine texts of any sort. Nezumi have become extremely resourceful and skilled at crafting the things they require to survive, and many are secretly masters of their art. In fact, some of the highest quality goods available in the markets have been crafted in secret by Nezumi-jin, with a Ningen taking the credit. Nezumi live slightly longer than humans at an average maximum lifespan of one hundred years.

Stereotypes
Nezumi are generally looked upon by the other races as "Eta", filthy and inferior, incapable of intelligent thought and useful only as slaves and laborers. However, the Nezumi possess much higher intellect and wisdom than they let on. The Nezumi almost always choose to flee rather than stand and fight, a strongly ingrained survival tactic. They understand human codes of honorable combat, but universally consider the practice to be a risky and foolish notion. Despite this flighty nature, a cornered and desperate Nezumi is known to be a dangerous opponent.

Appearance
Nezumi are bipedal rats, standing at 4' to 5' in height. Nezumi are covered head to toe in fur, colored in various shades of brown and gray. They possess hands that are similar to those of humans, with opposable thumbs providing them the ability of fine manipulation. Nezumi have a surprising amount of strength for their small and thin bodies, comparable to that of Ningen, but their agility is matched only by the Akuma-jin. Nezumi have very durable and flexible bodies, and have no problem contorting themselves to fit in tight spaces. Nezumi have little use for clothing, wearing only things that provide utility such as work aprons, bags, and tool belts. Some crafty Nezumi are known to use a patchwork of leather and salvaged armor for protection.

TENGU
The Tengu are a solitary people who migrate around the world, and have no true country of their own. They have only one permanent settlement, a temple on Tengu-ji Island. The Tengu meet as a whole on Tengu-Ji isle during times of lunar eclipse, where they hold festivals and feasts, often leading to the conception of a new generation, a communal clutch of eggs tended to by the Tengu-Ji Monks. Each lunar eclipse signals a changing of the guard, and many Tengu-ji Monks retire and recruit replacements. Tengu are most concentrated in areas of vast wilderness and mountainous regions, often serving as protectors and guardians of their chosen territory. Tengu practice a form of nature worship, honoring the balance of the Sun and Moon, and often garb themselves in long red robes. Tengu reach adulthood at a rapid rate on average of ten years, at which time they must leave Tengu-ji Island or become monks. Tengu live to an average maximum lifespan of three hundred years.

Stereotypes
Known for their mischievous and haughty nature, Tengu often interfere with the affairs of others for good or ill. Tengu have a reputation for being mysterious, with claims of holding ancient secrets and magical powers. If there is any truth in this, not one has shared these secrets with the other races. The Tengu are judged on an individual basis by other races, developing a particular reputation in each place they frequent.

Appearance
Tengu appear similar to humans with a slightly smaller stature and build. Since Tengu lay eggs, they do not possess well developed mammary glands or breasts, lacking nipples. Tengu have skin, feathers, and hair in three primary colors, white, black, or red. Tengu appear frail and lighter than humans, with thin bodies that hide a greater physical strength. A Tengu has twice the strength of a human of similar size, and with a finer-tuned sense of dexterity and grace. Tengu's most defining features are their long noses, hawk-like eyes, and large wings that sprout from their shoulder blades and often appear to serve them as a cape. Tengu also possess pointed ears and sharply taloned feet, with three long fingers similar to a bird. A Tengu's sense of hearing and sight are unrivaled, and they are rarely caught unaware.

ONI
Oni, or "Ogres", are the native race of the Northern Banshi Mountains. Oni are extremely territorial, and fight fiercely to protect what they consider theirs. Oni have few permanent settlements, and live primarily in primitive skin huts in the form of tent villages. They form tribal societies resembling the prides of lions, with one strong male and many female mates. These females hunt for food and care for the young, while the male is responsible for defending the territory. Oni do not have a formal religion, but practice a form of medicinal shamanism.

Stereotypes
These barbaric cannibals fight not only outsiders but each other for survival, or even sheer amusement. Humans consider the Oni to be monsters and deadly adversaries, and the presence of an Oni is generally considered unlucky. Oni are barely tolerated in the neutral ground of Kodama, often chased out of town. Humans also believe that Oni skin colors determine their personalities; fiery red, cold hearted blue, venomous green, sinister black. However, Oni know personalities differ greatly, and that color is a sign of little more than heritage. Few Oni are seen outside of their homeland of Oni-Ryoudo, and those that do venture into other lands are almost always disgraced, dishonored, and outcaste from their tribes.

Appearance
Oni have muscular humanoid bodies, and range from 6' to 9' in height. Oni can live to a maximum age of 100 years, but few if any ever survive this long. To other races the Oni are considered ugly, males and females being difficult to distinguish from one another by face, but females do possess a woman's shapely figure. They have unkempt manes of hair, and may have any number or type of horns protruding from their heads. Oni are the most physically powerful of all the races, capable of feats that the strongest human could not dream of accomplishing. Oni possess sharp claws and teeth capable of tearing away large chunks of flesh from whatever may be unfortunate enough to stand in their path. Their skin may be red, blue, green, or black based on genetics. Oni eyes can be any color and shape, while cycloptic and three-eyed Oni are not unusual. Oni usually possess a lion's tail, but some warriors may have them removed. They typically wear animal and humanoid skins, claws, and bones as trophies, and carry crudely made spiked clubs, called Kanabo.

NAGA
The Naga are a race of serpentine humanoids that primarily live underwater, often taking residence in ruins and caves. Naga can live on land, but are most comfortable in the water where their snakelike bodies can move with greater speed and ease. Naga cannot last long in dry and arid environments, needing to maintain a high level of moisture inside their bodies. Naga, like most sea snakes, give birth to live young. Naga do not measure their ages in years, but in decades, living to a maximum of one thousand years with little sign of aging. Naga reach adulthood at the age of two hundred. Naga in the Sea of Mana live nomadic lifestyles, following the migrations of prey fish each season. More Naga have been seen on land in recent years, many in war parties seeking to raid and destroy fishing villages. Others have sought to end the violence and bloodshed, and seek to create an agreement of truce with their neighbors.

Stereotypes
Ningen legends say the Naga were the first children of Oroborus, who were gifted immortality as his guardians and servants. When Oroborus first arose in anger, they retreated beneath the waves of the Sea of Mana, into the sunken cities. While Naga possess a great amount of wealth and treasure that had been sunk beneath the waves, they do not truly understand it's value to the Ningen, merely appreciating it's beauty. The Naga are believed to maintain the balance of life beneath the water, insuring that fish remain in high numbers. They are also said to control rain and storms, with the ability to bless a land with fertile showers or curse them with floods, or drought. While these legends may be pure mythology, the Naga do become violent when their territories are polluted and over fished. They have sunk a great many ships, and as human encroachment continues, they grow more angry with their neighbors on the land. Naga are very resistant to change in their culture and way of life.

Appearance
From the waist up, Naga have the same basic body shape of a human, but from the waist down extends the long body of a serpent. Naga stand to a height between 5' and 7', with twice that measure in length of tail. They possess gills on the sides of their necks to breathe underwater, but still possess all the same facial features of humans and lungs that can breath pure air. Naga range in cool colors, from white, to blue or purple, to black. Their bodies are covered in the fine scales of a snake, with paler and larger bars of scales on their underbellies. Naga have slit pupils, with eyes of green or golden color. They grow hair much the same as humans, but it is always straight and black. They possess a forked tongue and a pair of long fangs which can inject paralyzing poison into their prey, resulting in the adage "never trust a Naga's kiss." Naga do not wear clothing or armor, as it restricts their movement and slows them down. Naga do, however, often wear priceless jewelry and carry intricate swords and spears, all of which have been recovered from sunken cities, and maintained with special oils.

AKUMA
Akuma-jin, or "The Demon People," have the smallest population of all the prime races, but possess the most deadly reputation. They live to an average maximum lifespan of five hundred years, but few actually survive to reach adulthood at one hundred years, due to the dangerous competition within their society. Akuma-jin practice pastoralism and cultivation much the same as the Ningen, but on a much smaller and more individual scale. Akuma society is based upon martial skill and strength, where the deadliest rule over those weaker than themselves. Typically Akuma-jin form packs, in which there is an illusion of safety for the members. Akuma religion is the worship of powerful ancestors.

Stereotypes
Akuma lethality and stealth are legendary, and in fact the race itself exaggerates this belief in order to create the power of fear over others. Akuma-jin do not welcome outsiders into their society, and typically view all foreigners as weak and unworthy. Akuma-jin have small families and raise children, but it is not beyond them to kill their own parents or children in the struggle for power and survival. Individual Akuma-jin typically only tolerate the other races when it promises some benefit to them. The Akuma are tolerated in Ningen society out of fearful respect, but are never trusted.

Appearance
The Akuma-jin have a mostly human appearance, but with notable differences. Their bodies are slimmer, with the same male and female distinctions as humans. They are on average shorter than humans, but their height potential remains the same as Ningen. Their skin ranges in color from bronze to jet black. Akuma hair ranges in cool colors and shades, such as white, purple, blue, and black. Facial hair and body hair are unheard of in Akuma, but the hair on thier head grows long and straight. Their ears are long and elven, facing forward and able to adjust position to better focus sound. Their sharp, hawkish eyes vary in warm colors from gold, to red, to yellow. They possess short black claws in place of fingernails, and sharper canine teeth. As Akuma-jin age, their colors become more muted and gray.
Last edited by Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

The Imperial City of Kodama - What's inside

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:57 am

LEISURE BRANCH
The Leisure Branch is the largest area of Kodama, where the outcaste and low class people live. Despite this it is an attraction to those with spare coin. Entertainment can be found around every corner, from concubine houses to pit fighting tournaments. There is a vast amount of residences filling every inch of space, from bamboo huts to finely built estates.

Jade Dragon Inn
The Jade Dragon Inn is a popular gathering place among travelers and locals alike, providing fine food, strong drink, comfortable lodgings. On special occasions entertainers may be hired to perform music or theater. Gambling and prostitution are not uncommon in the secluded dens, though these illegal practices are mostly ignored. The Inn is run by the Baikahana family, now under the leadership of Ichiro Baikahana. The kitchen is always stocked in fresh seafood and rice, also keeping a large supply of sake and plum wine on hand. The lodgings provided vary from small rooms with little more than a straw mat on the floor, up to finely marbled suites. The Jade Dragon has also come to be known derogatorily as "The Rusty Wok", due to the large frying pan hung lovingly above the kitchen door.

MARKET BRANCH
The Market Branch is an averagely sized area, with more open space to serve the general public with a place to set up shop for work and trade. Permanent buildings are set around the perimeters of circle areas, and include smithies and stables amongst other businesses. Only merchants and artisans live in this area, often taking residence in their place of work.

Bazaar
The Bazaar is made up of a collection of open-air shops and local businesses, primarily open from morning to early evening, though some shops make an exception. The wares sold vary greatly; on a good day, virtually anything may be found for purchase in the street shops. Most merchants obey lawful guidelines and refrain from selling forbidden goods, but some black-market items can be found by persistent and discerning inquiries.

GARDEN BRANCH
The Garden Branch is a large area, with wide open pastures and forested areas. The farmer cast resides in this area on government-granted homesteads, providing Kodama with foodstuffs, hand grown goods, and livestock. The people here are hard working and averagely wealthy, though some contest each other over land rights.

Arboretum
This large plot of land serves as a public park and garden, with carefully tended plants and trees from all corners of the world. This area is the entryway to the Garden Branch, and is open to all, serving as a show of Kodama's greatness. Many wild creatures have been brought into the woods, and having grown accustomed to the visitors and often seek them out for scraps of food. The various koi ponds, connected by small streams and crossed by small bridges, are a major attraction. This place is used primarily as a place for artistic reflection and social interaction, and often serves as festival grounds. However, traveling off the main paths and roadways is not recommended, as more dangerous beasts make the deep woods their home.

ROYAL BRANCH
The Royal Branch is the smallest area in Kodama, but also the most exclusive. The area serves as home and training grounds to the Samurai and other members of the gentry. The Royal Branch is well-guarded, and most areas are restricted to the lower class. The Royal Palace may be found here as well, but it's gates have been barred to all but the most important visitors.Those who wish to meet with the Regent, Shogun Renjiro Teiji, must often schedule appointments months in advance.

Sazanami Dojo
The Sazanami Dojo is the only open area of the Royal Branch which allows access to lower classes and foreigners. The Sazanami Dojo, or "Water's Ripple Temple," is a place of both quiet reflection and the practice of martial art. There are three shrine buildings here, one of which has no walls. The Sazanami Monks meditate here at the edge of reflecting pools, seeking inner peace and wisdom. Monks and other martial artists learn the arts of self-defense upon the designated Tatami mats. Due to the wide expanse of the area and the mutual respect of practitioners, there is surprisingly little distraction.

The areas listed in the main branches are not the only areas within that branch, but are the most notable places there! If you're looking for a visual idea of what the city of Kodama looks like, here's a few references.
http://wanbao.deviantart.com/art/old-city-127609149
http://wanski.deviantart.com/art/Japanese-Town-54841269
http://wallpapers.pixxp.com/12__Tree_City.htm
Last edited by Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

The Four Paths - The Caste System of Kodama and Numachi

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:10 am

The Caste System in Kodama and Numachi, called "The Four Paths", is based upon inherited positions and title. The divisions are Gentry, Farmer, Artisan, and Merchant.

The Eternal Emperor is above all castes, and divides his power and changes individual's stations as he sees fit. The Shogun is also above the castes, and is chosen by the Eternal Emperor to rule the Imperial Court in his absence. The current Shogun is Renjiro Teiji, son of the last chosen Shogun, Makoto Teiji.

The family is the smallest legal entity; A slight upon one member is a slight upon his entire house, and will bring the wrath of the family's leader. This also means that the mistakes and failings of one person reflect upon their entire family. The family either prospers together in privilege or falls from grace, making the maintenance of a family's honor important to all castes.

Foreigners do not belong to this caste system, and therefore do not have any legal rights in Kodama, unless they are sponsored by a caste family. Unsponsored foreigners are typically considered Outcaste in this system, and may be treated as Hinin or Eta based on their profession. Foreigners who wish to become citizens of Kodama must appeal to the Royal Courts, submitting a formal application for review. This review process may take several years to complete, and many applications are denied.

GENTRY
The highest caste includes the Kuge or "Nobility", The Sazanami Order, Daimyo or "Lords", and the Samurai warriors. This caste also includes scholars and wise men who prove themselves worthy by their service to the Imperial Court. The Daimyo and their loyal Samurai hold and control his lands, keeping order and shipping back taxes and goods in return for land, title, and a share of the profit. While members of the Sazanami Order renounce all family ties, their actions still reflect on the order as a whole.

FARMERS
Farming is considered a noble and important profession, and it's high position in the caste reflects this. The farmer's hard work is the foundation of the wealth of the entire empire, and without them the government would be crippled. All land is owned by the Eternal Emperor and divided among several Daimyo, and once more divided by the Daimyo and granted to the farmer. The family must stay in good favor with their Daimyo or risk losing land and title. A farmer proves his honor and worth, and thereby gains more land holdings, by producing vast crops and superior livestock.

ARTISANS
The Craftsman is ranked just below the farmer in the caste, but this is not due to a lack of importance. They create various products for the empire that serve to improve life in general, and such things that cannot be lived without. Their lower rank is acknowledgment to the farmer's production of goods from earth and toil, which they must use in turn to fuel their craft. The Artisan proves his worth and honor by creating quality crafts, which can vastly increase his wealth and standing. Some craftsman become so legendary that they serve the imperial court exclusively. Artisans typically live within the Market Branch of the city. This caste tends to have a lot of overlap with the merchant class; many artisans sell their own wares.

MERCHANTS
The Merchant is ironically the lowest rank in the caste system, despite holding a vast amount of wealth and political influence. This is due to the fact that they produce nothing, instead they excel at selling the goods and services of others. Some higher casts consider it a bit dirty to handle their own money, and this is also where the merchant class comes in. The Merchant measures his worth and honor by being an excellent businessman. A great merchant persuades the higher classes to sell to them exclusively, and in turn creates a profit by selling to the general public at a raised price. Some merchant families have become so influential and wealthy that they have raised their social standing and became members of the higher castes.

OUTCASTE
The vast amount of nameless masses in the empire do not truly belong to a caste family, and therefore have few legal rights and little to no representation. While not holding a rank, there are still professions in the empire that are necessary albeit messy. Some of these professions are considered unseemly or dangerous by the higher classes, and therefore they are not allowed to traverse the Royal and Garden Branches without written permission from caste sponsors (the exceptions are the Sazanami Dojo and Arboretum which are open to all). Outcaste are allowed to move freely inside the Leisure and Market Branches of the city. Peasants, undertakers, butchers, tanners, entertainers, licensed concubines, street cleaners, slave traders, and executioners are all examples of the outcaste group known as the Eta, or "Filthy". The Hinin, or "Non-people," are the second part of the group: beggars, slaves, common prostitutes, assassins, mercenaries, Ronin, and convicted criminals.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

Languages of Kodama

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:21 am

Although the topic itself is strictly English, each race in the Kodama setting has it's own native language and naming conventions.

COMMON
All across the known world, the native language of the Ningen is known as "Common," or "The Common Tongue." This language is an analog of Japanese. This language is the primary trade language, and is used by virtually everyone.

VANARA & NAGA
The Vanara and Naga share a traditional language, which is said to be passed down to them directly from Oroborus. Although the pronunciation and dialect of the language is vastly different, they come from the same ancient roots. This traditional language is referred to as "The Dragon's Tongue," and is an analog of Sanskrit, in both written and vocal forms.

NEZUMI
The language of the Nezumi does not have a true name, but is often referred to derogatorily as "Rat Speak." It is a combination of chirps, hissing, body language, and hand sign which can formulate a fairly advanced language. Nezumi do not have their own written language, and instead adopt those of other cultures. Nezumi often name themselves for physical traits or important life events, and these names can change many times in a lifetime. Typical examples of Nezumi names are "One Eye," "Freed Soul," and "Short Tail." These names can be left in English or translated to Japanese based on player preference.

TENGU
The language of the Tengu is known as "Cloud Tongue," and is an analog of Chinese. This language is never taught to the other races, and speaking it in the presence of outsiders is generally considered taboo. There are the oddballs that don't care so much, however.

ONI
The Origional Oni tongue was a harsh-sounding language, with a crude form of writing. This language has been lost to time, as the Oni adopted the Common tongue. What few records exist of ancient Oni text are indecipherable, as the last runic temples sink into the lava floes. Oni typically choose powerful sounding names, and often give themselves ostentatious titles, such as "Warchief, or "the Destroyer."

AKUMA
The Akuma tongue has ancient roots. It was created and evolved in generations of isolation from other races, and it reflects this. The name Akuma itself is the creation of outsiders, as they simply referred to themselves as "The People." The ancient Akuma language is an analog of Arabic, in written and vocal forms.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

Spirituality

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:44 am

Spirituality is considered an important aspect of everyday life, with the most commonly held beliefs varying between races and nations. These practices are passed down through the generations, teaching history, morality, and giving meaning to the universe.

SAZANAMI
The Sazanami Religion is the most pervasive religion of the world, spread by traveling monks. It is centered around the concepts of Karma and Reincarnation, and honors the teachings of the first Eternal Emperor of Kodama. The Sazanami disciple does not believe in an alternate afterlife realm, instead proposing that the world of spirits exists all around them.

Sazanami disciples believe that when a living creature dies its soul is immediately passed into a newly born body. This cycle is controlled by Karma, with each being born into an appropriate new form based on it's former personality and deeds. This idea of karma only controls the cycle of reincarnation, and is not believed to have any bearing on a person's luck. After all, many good people experience a lifetime hardship.

Part of a Sazanami Monk's duties is to ensure that the dead are properly cleansed and cremated, and the area of their death purified by ritual dance. This ensures that the reincarnation cycle is not interrupted, and that the spirit does not linger on as a ghostly entity.

The Sazanami believe that each soul determines certain traits in each new body, chief among these being magical ability. The Sazanami often try to identify these traits in themselves and others to reveal one's past lives and learn from them.

The Sazanami philosophy is based upon the teachings of the Eternal Emperor that people should strive to be moral and pacifist in order to maintain honor and peace. The faithful believe that should the Eternal Emperor's teachings be forgotten, Oroborus may wake once again and bring new chaos and devastation to the world.

Sazanami Monks can be easily identified by plain white jo-e robes, black tate-eboshi hats, and shaku batons. Sazanami Miko, or shrine maidens, are recognized by a plain white haori, red hakama, and nusa wands.

VANARA
Wild Vanara honor nature and ancestor spirits with daily and nightly dancing and partying. This constant festivity is said to maintain the lifecycle and health of the natural world, as well as bringing happiness to the people.

The Vanara believe that it is important to live in balance with nature and to never take more than you need. Should one break the balance, the nature spirits will turn against them and bring famine and disease.

When a Vanara dies, his body is wrapped in white cloth and buried in the earth, with seeds planted above the body. In this way the Vanara spirit returns to nature, rejoining the circle of life.

These practices survive primarily in the Wild Vanara cities and amongst those who have a link to their culture. After many generations in foreign societies many Vanara have forgotten the old ways and instead picked up foreign religions.

NEZUMI
The Nezumi believe that the world is made up of not just four, but five elements. This fifth element is energy, spirit, or Chi. These elements control life and serve as the building blocks of everything. The elements cannot be consumed or destroyed, but can be passed from one form to another; as earth to wood or metal, or water to ice.

Those that control magic are viewed as blessed by the elements, but are also placed at great spiritual and moral risk. Nezumi believe that these powers are intended to be used for the greater benefit of society and must not be abused for gain. Unfortunately, those that hold great power are often corrupted by it.

When Nezumi die they are believed to break down into their base elements, joining the elemental cycle. Therefore, Nezumi funerals are often performed in relevance to these elements. Cremation, Burial at Sea, Burial in Earth, and Sky Burial are practiced based on local custom and preference of the deceased.

TENGU-JI
Tengu are raised on an isolated mountain island; it's only structure is an ancient temple erected in honor of the sun and moon. The Tengu-ji Monks tend to the children and the island, seeking to live in harmony with the natural world. The Tengu see a spiritual world all around them; the sky, mountains, forests, and sea exist as kami or gods and possess great spiritual power. It is not uncommon for Tengu-ji Monks to retreat into the wilderness to meditate for days on end. Tengu-ji Monks are easily identified by their red robes.

The Tengu believe that the cycle of existence is maintained by the balance of all things. The moon and sun exemplify this belief with the two deities known as Yin and Yang being opposing yet complimentary to one another. The balance of these two deities is believed to be the source of all life and spiritual energy.

ONI
The religion of the Oni is one of violence and mysticism. This ritualized religion is passed down from Oni witchdoctors, the wise men of their race. These shamans are often nomads and hermits, sought out by powerful warlords for their magical abilities.

It is believed that blood and flesh is the source of all power, and that consuming and bathing in flesh and blood increases the strength of the Oni. This belief has lead to ritual sacrifices and cannibalism, adding to the horrible reputation of the Oni. This practice is steeped in tradition, and is continued to this day.

NAGA
The Naga no longer have a true religion, instead their culture has a spiritual history passed down in the form of song and story. The Naga are a race with a lifespan measured in centuries and their history is even longer than that. If they were said to have a god, it would be Oroborus, the Wyrm Father.

Naga believe themselves to be the first children of Oroborus the great wyrm, creator of the world. They were created as servants and worshipers of Oroborus, personally crafted from his scales. The Serpent God was divine, with the power to heal or curse upon his whim. This god was worshiped in awe and fear, with the Naga seeking to maintain his good favor in fear of his awesome and dreadful power.

In time the Naga coaxed the tired god to rest within the depths of the Kodama World Tree, far beneath the wood and earth. This ancient god was then sealed away and the paths into the deep places of Kodama were closed to all.

The Naga inherited the lands of Kodama, but this would not last forever. The world grew and changed with the Ningen taking every inch they could manage. The Naga Elders warned that battling with these Ningen would be foolish and decided that the better option was to leave the land to them. Thus the Naga left their native land, entering the Sea of Mana for the first time.

Those that stayed behind would soon realize the error of their choice, as the conflict between the races awoke the sleeping dragon. Oroborus brought new destruction to the world and many died. Those Naga that fled to the Sea of Mana were spared from the wrath of their former master.

To this day the Naga pass down the ancient legends of Oroborus, and his name is spoken in awe and fear. Many Naga chose to return to the lands of their creation, often on a spiritual pilgrimage to reconnect with their legendary past.

AKUMA
The Akuma do not possess a unified religion yet most maintain a spiritual practice of ancestor worship. The Akuma do not believe in reincarnation, instead proposing that one's spirit is linked to the past in a long chain back to the world's creation.

As a creature lives it spends spiritual energy and life each day in everything that it does. In this way spirit is passed on to others through his actions, the things he creates, and the children he bears.

This belief stresses the importance of history, action, and heritage. Akuma claim to be empowered by the greatness and deeds of their ancestors, taking on their strengths. A knowledge of one's history is a link to these powers, without this wisdom the Akuma is cut off from these powers.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

The Magic of Kodama

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:53 am

Magic is a mystical and powerful force known all across the world, it's origins shrouded in legend; it is believed to exist in the souls of all things. Many claim these powers are a gift from Oroborus, granted to all creatures when he first crafted the world. This magical essence is sometimes referred to as Chi, Mana, or simply Spirit. The Sazanami Monks believe that when every being dies it is reincarnated into a new body, passing on it's soul and magical powers. These powers may or may not manifest depending on the life each person leads.

ELEMENTAL
Elemental magic is the most common form of magic, and many people are born with a natural aptitude toward a single element. The practitioners of elemental styles are often referred to as "benders," as they manipulate the elements to their will. Elements can only be controlled with a ritualized practice of movements and gestures, often referred to as somatics. Each element differs in it's somatic form, and use of two elemental styles is considered impossible. The somatic form of fire requires tension and quick or sharp movements, while it's opposite, water, requires slow movement and smooth control. Likewise, airbending requires it's user to be light on his feet and the use of balanced circular motion, while it's opposite, earth, requires the bender to possess a firmly rooted stance and utilize forceful movement. (Yes, this was all ganked from A:TLA, I LOVE IT SOOOO!)

ILLUSION
Illusion magic is a deceptive form of magic used to confuse and trick it's viewer into believing the unreal. It is a challenging power to master, requiring an intense amount of willpower and mental focus. The most effective illusionists are those with great imaginations and open minds, often making children and Vanara the most apt learners. With the sheer mental power of will and belief illusionists can create visions and sounds that appear very real to themselves and others. However, these effects can never physically interact with the world around them. It can be difficult for illusionists to separate a fantastical vision from reality, which can result in undesirable effects. Many Illusionists have fallen victim to their own magical effects, losing control of an illusion and leading them into dangerous panic. This power is only effective if the viewers truly believe what they see is real, and thus it can be resisted by a skeptical mind.

SPELL
Spell magic is quite different than other forms of magic in that it must first be learned; only through years of practice and study can it's use be realized. Spell magic, like illusion, is fueled by the willpower and belief of it's practitioner. The effects of Spells on the physical world are very real, however. Unlike other forms of magic Spells require a physical symbol to manifest their power. These effects come in countless variations, but the most common uses are in creating protections and wards, or cursing and binding opponents. Spellcraft is also capable of healing wounds and curing diseases, but resurrection is never possible. The most common form of Spellcraft is the use of scrolls, a practice developed by the Sazanami Monks. These small pieces of paper carry written symbols and can be placed upon the intended target to activate magical effects. Other forms of Spellcraft include the use of things such as bones or hair as symbols, representing aspects of the creature they come from. The usage of Spell magic is exceedingly difficult to master but has the greatest amount of variety of all forms of magic.

ALTERATION
This form of magic is the most rare; it is the ability to transform one thing into another, whether it be an object, person, or the user. Alteration requires constant physical contact with that which they change. Alteration has a physical limit however, in that one thing cannot be made to have a greater mass than it began with. Alteration is only capable of temporary effects which wear off when the user loses his concentration. Practitioners of Alteration are generally not trusted by merchants, who may find themselves duped by false goods and coinage. The origin of Alteration power is unknown, but it is often noticed that it's users have flexible minds and personalities, apt to change on whim.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

The Sazanami Order

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:59 am

The Sazanami Order is a monastic order promoting peace and the worship of the Eternal Emperor. It was founded by a wise man by the name of Kazuo, who would become known as the first incarnation of the Eternal Emperor.

Sazanami Disciples
Sazanami Monks are recruited from all castes, and have recruited members of all races. Monks must join before they reach adulthood, and those that have committed heinous acts are barred from entry. Males and females may both join, but have some different rules and duties.

Those that join the Sazanami Order must renounce all family ties, and thus their actions no longer reflect on family honor, but upon the order as a whole. This also means that Sazanami Monks may not marry or have children. While leaving their family can appear to be a great sacrifice, it is also considered a great honor, and there is nothing to prevent a fully fledged monk from visiting former family and friends.

Upon joining, a devotee is shaved bald, and is shed of all his worldly possessions. Novice robes are provided, along with all the materials necessary for everyday life within the temple. At this point begins years of self discipline and training, designed to make the individual pure of heart and deed. A devotee is often assigned to the supervision of a new Monk, to act as a guide and teacher. A devotee must make many vows before becoming monks, chief among these are the Precepts:

1. I will not needlessly spill the lifeblood of another sentient being.
2. I will not take what has not been given to me freely.
3. I will refrain from sexual conduct.
4. I will refrain from using false speech, deception, manipulation, and hurtful words.
5. I will refrain from becoming intoxicated.
6. I will refrain from speaking of others' errors and faults.
7. I will not allow my emotions to cloud my better judgment.

The life of a monk consists primarily of meditation and rituals. The Sazanami Monks provide common ritual services to all the castes, such as conducting marriages or banishing evil spirits. The Sazanami Monks are also called upon to perform ceremonies involving birth or death. There are hundreds of ceremonies and rituals, and each monk must learn to perform them flawlessly.

Some monks chose to venture away from Kodama to spread their faith, and a great many seek to find evidence of the Eternal Emperor in the outside world.

The robes of a Sazanami Monk have changed little over time, remaining very simple and traditional. The colors white and red are worn symbolically, to represent purity and life.

A monk may leave the order at any time, for any or no reason. These monks may return to the order at any time, but lose any former rank or prestige. Many monks chose to leave based on feelings of love and the desire to create a family, only to return to service in their old age. It is taboo for a former monk to provide the services or wear the robes of a Sazanami Disciple.

History of the Order

Kazuo was once a simple farmer, but viewing the devastation of famine and plague around him, he took it upon himself to become a healer. He walked the world spreading wisdom on how to combat the plague with medicine and cleanliness, and how to maintain crops with methods such as rotating what is planted.

Kazuo believed deeply in action and reaction, the existence of yin and yang. It was these beliefs he sought to spread by creating the Sazanami Dojo, or "Water's Ripple Temple," the first structure within the branches of the world tree. Like the namesake, he knew that a small drop of wisdom could create a great effect on the world.

At the age of sixty nine, Kazuo left his quarters in the Sazanami Dojo and proceeded to climb ever further towards the top of the world tree. It was at the top of the world tree that he was said to meet with Oroborus, the great wyrm saw in him a reflection of himself. While Oroborus had responded to the world with anger, Kazuo responded with kindness. Oroborus found himself brought to peace by this man, their kindred spirits becoming a whole. They both departed from the world, entering the heart of the world tree. This event marked the end of a dark era, and the birth of a new age.

As years passed Kazuo would become a legend and an example to the world. His memory would be honored by his students and the Emperor of Numachi by the creation of a capital city within the branches of Kodama. The students of Kazuo would begin to form into a disciplined order, promoting Kazuo's teachings to the growing populace of Kodama.

As Numachi declined and Kodama prospered, Emperor Hiraku began to divide Kodama into territories, taxed by his Daimyo and Samurai. This created rebellion and put stress on the Sazanami Order. It was against the teachings of Kazuo to harm others, but their home and people were at war. It was during this time that the Sazanami began to debate on what was to be done, as many believed war to be justified. The Defense of one's self and country became an acceptable reason for violence.

Others refused to take up arms. One of these men was the lowly monk Hibiki, a young member of the Sazanami order. He took it upon himself to venture into the lands of Numachi and plead with Emperor Hiraku himself. What would happen during their meeting would change history.

Hibiki's pleas fell on deaf ears as Emperor Hiraku outright refused to relent on his taxation of Kodama. Fortunately for the Rebels, Emperor Hiraku died that very night of asphyxiation, which Hibiki claimed to be a result of Emperor Hiraku's gluttony.

On hearing of Hiraku's death, his Generals and Daimyo began a war against each other, fighting to claim the throne of Numachi. Hibiki fled the chaos and returned to Kodama, where he was greeted as a hero by the rebels. Hibiki insisted that he had nothing to do with Emperor Hiraku's death, but to this day his true actions are under question.

Due to Hibiki's perceived actions, the Sazanami Order would come to agree that violence was acceptable only as a last resort in defense. The Sazanami Monks thus began to practice defensive forms of martial arts, as well as popularizing the use of Spell Scrolls amongst the order. Their lifestyle would become more ritualized as times changed.

Hibiki would later be named the first Emperor of Independent Kodama. He would calm Numachi with gifts, bringing peace to the world. His rule would see many changes in the castes, and the naming of the artisan Makoto Teiji as his Shogun.

On his death, the Sazanami Elders would declare that Hibiki was the second incarnation of the Eternal Emperor. His eternal spirit shared by Kazuo, would be passed on once again into a newly born child. This would be an eternal cycle, foretold by the stars, that could only end with the death of Oroborus.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vio-Lance on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:22 am

I do believe I'll be one of these....Tengu creatures....

Vio-Lance
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby waa37 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 pm

could i make a kami?

waa37
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheScarletPlague on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Kodama... Have you, by chance, seen the movie Princess Mononoke?
"Lips that Shakespeare taught to speak have whispered their secret in my ear." -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

TheScarletPlague
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alex Tyverian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm

waa37 wrote:could i make a kami?

If you mean Kami as in one of the local gods or spirits I'm afraid not. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. :) Likewise there will be no Player Characters that are powerful magical creatures like multi-tailed Kitsune or Ki-Rin, or outright malevolent creatures like Yuki-onna (our Oni are at least capable of keeping the violence under wraps when in neutral territory).

TheScarletPlague wrote:Kodama... Have you, by chance, seen the movie Princess Mononoke?

XD I sure did. We liked the name for the tree spirits and shamelessly ganked it.

Alex Tyverian
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!