Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy »

Players Wanted: Chat Plays 5E Stream Seeks Players, Little to No Commitment » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov »

Legend: Inception of Discord

a part of “Legend: Inception of Discord”, a fictional universe by R.T.M.X..

You are a demon hunter, a member of the (legendary) Black Blades. You are considered as one of the best, but all hunters should follow these words: Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest ye become one.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Legend: Inception of Discord”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Legend: Inception of Discord"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.
I am not ┙insane.┍
I am just extremely ┙dedicated┍
to the act of losing my ┙mind.┍

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

R.T.M.X.
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Streamwatcher Beta Tester Lifegiver

Re: Legend: Inception of Discord

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ageha on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 am

Seems interesting, but I want to see all those factions and magic and stuff. Might join in.
Don't say that you can't do it, if you haven't tried.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ageha
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I'd also like to express my interest, but you should probably avoid posting WIP roleplays in the future. It doesn't hurt to wait a few more days while you finish everything up and incomplete roleplays don't attract as much attention during their short time on the new roleplays list.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:54 am

Expressing interest - if you'd like any help writing out ideas/factions/etc., I'm happy to volunteer. This looks like exactly the RP for me, and I'd love to help out in any way I can. Shoot me off a PM if you need my help.

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 am

I lost some of the data regarding to the roleplay, but I managed to recover some of it.

I have put up some information regarding the factions and magic.

For the most part, the roleplay is now open.

R.T.M.X.
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Streamwatcher Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:22 am

Aaaaaaand my character is posted! The lack of information around the world meant that I had to take some liberties, but I hope you like him :) If anything needs changing, shoot me off a PM :)

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:39 am

The only things I see wrong with it is that there's no avatar and the element. Other than that, he's accepted. I should be getting mine up within the next couple of days.

R.T.M.X.
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 am

The element is listed as 'unknown' on the grounds that it's unclear what, if any, element the Venide Knights were created with. Their magic is not of the conventional sort, after all.

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:50 pm

I really don't want to be the person to, once again, do this and come across as hypercritical, but do you think you might have put a little too much extra specialness into Samael?

I mean he's an amnesiac orphan with mysterious origins who was raised to be the best super soldier with the best weapons and the rarest of spells. He went to hell and back and is feared by everyone for blowing up one building, despite anyone with a mild talent for telekinesis being able to hold his double acceling badassitude in place and ripping his head off. And I wouldn't be surprised if the previously unknown, immensely powerful demon that wiped out a unit of some of the best demon hunters turned out to be him.

Now that my attempt to not come across like an ass again is out of the way, I will restate my interest now that the roleplay has actually been posted in full. One question I do have, though, is how holy magic works, considering that the mana is taken from another world and seems, in practice, rather limitless. Is there some sort of mental strain brought about by the use of magic in addition to the usual limits of mana, or...?

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:37 am

I can see your point for certain, speaking as someone with a lot of RP experience who has seen such character archetypes many times before. If you are correct - and I do not believe you are, but I am willing to consider the possibility - then I'm happy to alter him.

My main issue was the lack of information about the world. While we have a very basic outline of how magic works, I know almost nothing about the setting broadly, so I took some liberties. Nonetheless, to attempt to address your issues -

1. He's not the demon that wiped out his unit, or a demon of any form, for that matter. I never actually thought of that during his development. Might've been an interesting idea, in retrospect, but I know exactly what happened there, and it wasn't anything like that.
2. I may have forgotten to make this obvious, but he's blown up a lot more than one building over the course of his 'career', so to speak. The reason why there's no detail after that is because I was very tired and just wanted to get the damned profile posted (especially after my woes with BBcode).
3. He's not feared for his 'badassitude', as you put it. His combat skills, while extremely significant, are no more powerful than those of any talented mage. The closest reason to that for why he's feared is because of his tactics (they were largely inspired by the SCP Foundation's work on how to kill Reality Warpers, if you're wondering); he exploits the limitations of the enemy, usually in the form of ambushes (few, if any mages can see the future) to start with the upper hand. Most of the reason why he's feared, though, is simply because of what his actions - after all, Western society is utterly terrified of terrorism. Wouldn't Babylonian society be the same?
4. Best armour and best weapons? Advanced and powerful, yes, but never stated to be 'the best'. Powered armour of the type used by the Monster Squad would be available to any Black Blade with the wealth and connections to acquire it (and necessary augmentations to wield it), and comes with its own set of drawbacks (limited power supply, very bulky [rendering concealment impossible], offering a much larger target, and vulnerable to EMP attacks, among other things). As for 'best weapons'... aside from standard firearms, his only notable weapon is Thaumiel, which while a powerful divine greatsword, is no more powerful than the holy weapons utilised by the Inquisition.
5. The whole 'amnesiac orphan' thing... isn't much of a thing. A lot of kids in a society like Babylon's would grow up on the streets without knowing their parents that well, and I functionally used it as an excuse for why he'd have been kidnapped as a test subject.

I hope that this will have addressed your concerns. I try not to make my characters Gary Stus. I will confess that I am guilty of no small amount of lazy writing in regards to the 'history' section (and I will hopefully improve it later), but I don't believe I'm guilty of creating a 'OMG EXTRA SPESHUL' character. If you still feel that there are issues, then please, feel free to continue stating your concerns. I always look to improve my writing abilities, and I'm happy to work with you here so long as we both remain intellectual and civil in our discussion.

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 am

Oh thank God you're okay with criticism. Anyway:

1. Okay, that alleviates a lot actually.

2/3: I think the problem I had is that you have everyone afraid of him, not just his target, the Inquisition, and the general populace that is scared of terrorism, but the Black Blades as well, despite them all being, in a way, terrorists themselves and all being very talented. Another issue was just a weird thought of how the most wanted man in a dystopia 200 years in the future just hides in Babylon. I'd assume his picture'd be everywhere for everyone of the scared populace to see and cameras seem like they'd be a lot more ubiquitous.

4. "One of the most powerful" kind of puts it beyond just advanced and powerful, though that could just be in the wording. The only issue I really have with Thaumiel is that its an ancient magic sword crafted in a time lost to man. Either weapons made at that time are just not that rare, or people are capable of making weapons just as powerful now, which would mean there'd be little point in using ancient museum pieces as weapons.

5. The orphan thing really wasn't that much of an issue on its own. It was more in lines with the thought that you might, though I know better now, have him suddenly and "unexpectedly" revealed to be some demon or half demon with immense importance and power due to number 1.

So, my only issues now are how the Black Blades are afraid of him, how he hides in a futuristic dystopia so well, and the whole ancient weapon thing. Everything is hard to judge because, like you, I don't really have any in depth information about the world and can't really tell if something or other could be called special or powerful because I have little to compare it to. I'm actually having that problem myself in that I don't know what scale my character's power should be at and don't want to make them too strong or too weak.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:10 am

2/3: Huh... I never actually imagined the Black Blades being afraid of him. Hm. And it's worth noting that in combat, he's constantly wearing full-body power armour, which naturally conceals his identity. Nobody knows who's behind that armour, which is a fair part of what makes everybody afraid of him (although a planned thing for later on is for everyone to find out, which will be about the point where everything starts going wrong).

4: Yup, wording issues - I'm as given to hyperbole in literature as I am in speech, sadly. Anyway, I imagined them not being all that rare - I imagined it being the sort of sword any moderately high-ranking Inquisitor would possess.

5: All good, then.

Well, what I'd do is just scale it to mine, in all honesty. The first character generally gets the privilege of power scaling; plus, the RP creator approved it, so it can't be too far out.

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

2/3: Well, fear crossing him, which pretty much amounts to being afraid of him. As for the identity thing, I assumed that Venide would release his identity since they would probably be aware of who died and who turned traitor and because they wouldn't exactly be happy with one of their expensive soldiers betraying them. Cooperating with other people by releasing the information would also be a good way of preventing every other organization from just tearing Venide apart.

4: Weapons made before humanity seem like they'd be a bit rarer than that. Not that there's any stated reason why people couldn't just make equally powerful weapons nowadays, unless we're just rolling with that old fantasy trope.

Well, the first character as a baseline is a good idea usually because the GM is generally the first person to submit a character, but yeah yours works just as well.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:19 pm

2/3: It bears mentioning that he has no civilian identity in the first place. As for why they never released images of his face... well, I'm unsure of how much good they'd do. If Babylon covers 85% of the Middle East, its population would number in the tens of billions. Statistically, there's an extraordinarily high likelihood of there being dozens of lookalikes.

4: I was just using that old fantasy trope. Again, a little lazy in the writing. I'm happy to change it if this world doesn't operate off those rules.

All good then!

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:02 am

They might not put up posters with "that terrorist you're afraid of" on it, but they'd probably have his image out there as being wanted for some murder or other. Not to mention that you don't have to release it to the public when you live in the future and have cameras, satellites, and drones and facial recognition software that serves as a relatively competent system now. It's not that big of an issue, it just struck me as odd that the most wanted man in the world is apparently being hunted by the least competent people.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 am

Hmmm... that's a problem, isn't it? I honestly can't think of a valid explanation, but averting that requires completely rewriting his profile. So here are our two options, as I see it -

1) Just accept that Venide's holding the Villain Ball on that one.
2) Have him destroy/erase all data on him from Venide's systems (not inconceivable, albeit unlikely) shortly before his first attack.

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Well he could have always just blown up the building that held all his information and killed everyone who knew about him before releasing the whole video thing and whipping up the terrorist frenzy. It'd certainly be better than Venide just being totally fine with their expensive super soldier running around creating terrible publicity for them.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm

All done! Edited that idea into his profile. We're all sorted now. Can't wait to see your character!

Zero Reaper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:07 pm

I'm sorry to disappoint and really sorry that I pretty much just made you jump through a bunch of explanation hoops for me, but I don't think I'm going to actually make my character. I'd really like to make them and do all the roleplay stuff with them, but this isn't exactly a hotbed of activity that I feel like putting a bunch of effort into only for it to inevitably die. It happens too much and it really wears on me.

It probably could have worked out even with the rocky WIP start, but that would require a GM who actually shows up and puts some effort in, which this roleplay seems to be lacking.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Sorry for the disappearance, I've been extremely busy for the past few days.

For those who're concerned over the slight lack of information regarding the setting, I give artistic liberties to those who want to fill in the blanks, so to speak, as it's the characters and players who shape the world and be a part of it rather than just being a passenger in somebody else's story.

Should have my character finished.

R.T.M.X.
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!