Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Life After Noir (OOC)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Life After Noir (OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 am

Seven years ago, New York City was in it's prime. Then Mayor Coburn was murdered in cold blood for double-dealing, and the world as it had been arranged began to crumble. The two major criminal families, the Irish Muirenns and the Italian Seccarinnis, lost their heirs quickly fell apart. Lives were altered by the decisions of a few, until a strange new balance was reached.

Now, in 1930, new crime organizations have risen up to fill the major gap left by the Muirenns and Seccarinnis. The stock market has caved in on itself, leaving many jobless. And strange weather has begun to cause massive dust storms across the United States.

Seven years ago, the world was turned on its ear. What's become of it since then?

----------------------

This is a sequel game to The Life Noir. It takes place in New York City, beginning in September, 1930. In order to join this game, you do not have to have taken part in the first one. However, you must abide by the rules:

1. Follow the general RP etiquette. This does require that you know the general RP etiquette, and yes, you will be held responsible for this. This involves god-modding and such things.
2. At least seven good, hearty sentences per post.
3. Literacy required. No text talk or flagrant abuse of the English language.
4. No OOC in the IC.
5. Try to keep it period acceptable. No ninjas or bazookas or cell phones.

And, of course, you must receive approval for your character. Only in this game, I don't want character skeletons posted in the OOC. I want you to link to your character profile from our neat new character profile...button...thing.

My characters:

Fiona Muirenn, Josephine Levard, and Charles Wallenstein.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Life After Noir (OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:51 am

Alright, I'm in and as an O'Keefe. One of Pat's nephews I think, come down from Boston to raise some hell.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Hurray! Ben is back, needless to say, but I'll also be bringing in a new character. Here you go:

Ben Goldberg, now thirty-four and political editor of The Times, currently in a tumultuous but long-term relationship with Jo Levard.

Sofia D'Elia, a twenty-three year old famous Broadway actress, related to the Seccharini crime family.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Name: Donald "Cards" O'Keefe
Physical Appearance: much like his father and other three O'Keefe brothers, red hair over his crown, gown out to about three inches long and slicked back. Unlike uncle Patrick, Donald is not smooth shaven but rather finds the time only once a week to trim the facial hair. He also stands a little taller then his more infamous uncle, at a good six feet tall. He also is a sufferer of heterochromia, having his left eye a nicely amber color and the right a bright blue. His frame is muscular, owing to the past six years of trying to wrestle his uncle's bodyguards to the ground (and losing every time). Normally, he wears a pair of gray trousers, a white shirt, gray vest, black shoes and a gray bowler hat with the ace of hearts tucked into the brim.
Profession: gambler
Brief bio: born just as the O'Keefe weapon trade along the east coast was taking off, Donald was able to live well, if not in a degree of luxury. Now he lived a generally normally childhood, going to school, running from cootie filled girls and doing the other things little boys do. When his uncle Patrick arrived from New York (along with his goonish bodyguards and loving wife), the young Donald followed him around like a puppy. It was his uncle that introduced him to cards and gambling in general. As they played, Uncle Pat would tell of his adventures and misadventures in the New York underground (as well as loss nearly all his pocket money, the kid had luck at nearly every game he tried), when Donald was not trying and failing to wrestle the pair of giant men that seemed to always be around his uncle. When he turned nineteen, he felt it was time to go make his mark and after he got a gift from Uncle Pat, he set out for New York, just to stir up some of that trouble his favorite uncle was always talking about.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DeeviousDemon on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:34 pm

*appears*

A link will appear - sometime soon... I just need to get my brain to work :)

DeeviousDemon
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Dear Jadeling,

As the site's resident crime writer, it almost behooves me to participate in this roleplay. Therefore you can expect to see me here. :) I do not, however, know as to which sorts of characters you are looking for, and if you could provide some guidance in that direction, it would be greatly appreciated. As soon as you let me know, I will have a profile ready for you and linked to here. (This post will be edited to reflect the addition).

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheBeachedPirate on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:45 pm

This looks very cool indeed!

Charlie "Chuck" Samuelson is a liquor smuggler from Georgia and a twelve months fresh out of a six-year prison term.
Last edited by TheBeachedPirate on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------

"If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
-Taken (2008)

------------------

TheBeachedPirate
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Here's a new Character for the game, Jamie: characters/Jamie%20MacDowell
Last edited by Kohananinja on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Alright, I've finished up young Cards.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Those all look wonderful, you guys! So far, everyone is accepted with flying colors :D Or something.

Treali, as far as what I'm looking for, the options are pretty wide open right now. We don't actually have any official cops, though we do have my one Shamus characters. I think the criminal element is pretty stacked. We have two reporters, but they could always use some healthy competition. So just think up something good!

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 am

Ooo, I like the new charries so far. Especially Chuck, who looks very interesting!

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheBeachedPirate on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Ah, thank you, NorthernSoul. Chuck's certainly going to be interesting to write about, that's for sure. He's very much the tricky kind where you'll never know just what it is he's going to do, or what side he's playing for (and I love your icon).

TheBeachedPirate
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey TheBeachedPirate, I just have one question for you, how did Chuck get his Model 1891 Russian Bolt-Action Mosin Nagant, if there were only German and Russian troops fighting on the Eastern Front?

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheBeachedPirate on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Ah, I'm glad you asked, Irish :) In July of 1917 or 1918, Woodrow Wilson sent U.S. soldiers to Russia to assist other Allied forces there, since Russia was going through a civil war and Chuck was still serving his term since his service papers said he was to work until 1919 in the Army. According to a book I read some years back, troops were sent to Siberia to guard Russian supply trains, but it had more to do with the Bolshevik government. So, in more detail (Chuck was drawn up late at night and in a hurry, so I haven't added all the details) he fought on the Western front, was wounded, re-deployed to light duty in Russia, then was sent home after the armistice.

TheBeachedPirate
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Alright, I have confirmed that US troops did fight in Russia during the North Russia Campaign and my question is answered to its fullest.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DeeviousDemon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Well - i finally got something together - hope this character is not 'too out there' xD.

Lillian 'Beau' Holmes

I will change anything that doesn't add up- so feel free to tell me so... lol

DeeviousDemon
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Woah! So, sorry for being so quiet, guys. I've been a tad busy with work and whatnot, but I'll try and get the IC for this game up sometime tonight.

Deevious: while Lillian does look interesting, I'm a bit hesitant to flash both thumbs up for her in this game. We've already got one diva, and I always worry when the cast list is stacked in one direction. Though I'm sure the interaction between the two starlets would make for some interesting fireworks! So I'll so 'okay' for now, and if you don't like how much legroom you've got, you can always create a new character to enter the fray.

IC will be up soon!

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Oh, I just thought of another question for TheBeachedPirate, how long has Chuck been operation in New York? I ask because one of my characters, Patrick O'Keefe is apart of Noir lore as a mainly a gun dealer but also as a dealer of booze and other pricey items.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 am

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:17 am

I actually had an idea, plot-wise, to do with DD's charrie (which I'll PM you about, Devious) so if you like, I can make Sofia a more minor charrie who can be introduced later or be brought to the forefront/sent to the back depending on how the plot goes.

Though, to be honest, I think Sofia and Lillian could complement each other, with a few tweaks to both characters. Perhaps if Lillian becomes a little younger and Sofia a little older, Sofia could act as a sort of mentor. Perhaps the two women know each other from Sofia's roots in low-brow burlesque and music hall and, despite her success in that field, Lillian wants to break into serious theatre. Sofia could be introducing her to the important directors, getting her small parts etc. (though not without a degree of manipulation and taking advantage of the younger woman). What do you think, Devious?

Anyway, I'll post with just Ben to begin with.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!