Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

A Life Unknown... [IC]

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

A Life Unknown... [IC]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

This is the only OOC to be in the thread. The OOC thread is here for you to post questions, or if interested apply as there are still spaces available and I'll welcome any ideas. The next bit is just a repeat of the OOC section, for anyone reading. If you've been accepted you can skip to below where it starts in Ilena. Have fun ^^.

A Life Unknown

The Background

Once upon a time in the land of Ilena lived a King and Queen. The King ruled his Kingdom with great pride, treating his people well. The people of Ilena were proud to be from there and they were proud of their ruler. For in Ilena there were no thing as different classes, such as peasants and royalty. They were one in Ilena. The King made sure that each person had food and shelter. So, even though the King was rich, he shared his riches with the Kingdom to make it something him and his people were proud of. And, everyone was proud of Ilena. It was a few years later, the Queen fell pregnant and the King was overjoyed at the thought of having an heir to the throne. The King started to plan everything as the birth drew near and one night in October, the Princess was born. Unfortunately, the plans didn't last.

It was a stormy night over the Ilena. The Princess, who had been called Kayla was now eight months old. The King and Queen personally took care of her, despite the numerous capable maids, they both loved to take care of their daughter right up until they put her to bed and this night was no different. The King had said goodnight to his daughter as the Queen took her upstairs while the King finished up a meeting. That was the last he saw of his daughter, and the night his family fell apart. As for Ilena, a deep sadness spread throughout the Kingdom for that night, the Queen was murdered and the Princess was taken.

Since that night, the King has been sending his best Knights out in search of his daughter. Even after 19 years, he still hasn't found his daughter or his wife's killer. Despite knights thinking the search is fruitless and useless, they still go out hunting for her upon the King's orders each year. But every time, they come back with nothing. Now, four of the King's best knights have been sent out in search of the Princess, but there is still little hope.

Down South, another land, Ayia, was ruled by a greedy King. The land was poor and unhealthy as the King took everything for his kingdom. The people that lived there were poor and unhappy, most having been starved due to little or no food, the land not strong enough to produce it. Anything that was produced was either in the kingdom itself, or taken to give to the King once found. The Palace was green and alive but the rest of the kingdom outside of the palace was more like a wasteland.

Here, if you didn't agree with the King, you were tortured and killed, along with your family. Any crime committed, guilty or innocent, you and the family was killed. The King was cruel and merciless, killing anyone in cold blood without a second thought. And his family in the palace, did nothing to stop him. But then again, they didn't know. The princess was sheltered, having never left the palace before due to the Kings orders. The Prince though, was a lot like his father and the heir to the throne, having left the Kingdom countless of times with his father to see the state of the land. It looked like he would become a ruthless ruler though, just like his father.

The King of Ayia has a lot of hidden secrets though. With his wife dead a little over 19 years ago, how did he get a 19 year old daughter? Was the date of the Queen's death wrong, or is the Princess' birthday wrong? Or, are their hidden secrets here that no one is telling?

And, does the King of Ilena find his long lost daughter? Does Ayia ever improve or do the people there continue to suffer? Will Ilena always have the question of what happened to the King's daughter solved, or will it continue to go unsolved, leaving Ilena without an heir to the throne?

Ilena

Pacing up and down his quarters, the King waited for his Knights to appear. He was very agitated and keen to get moving with what he was going to tell them. He'd called for the best Knights of the Kingdom now. People that he was confident would complete this task and solve the mystery that had been lingering over Ilena for the last 19 years. Where was the King's daughter, Kayla? And, who killed the Queen?

Looking up as there was a knock on the wooden door, he called called for them to enter, glad to see the guard and Knights enter. Finally, he took a seat and looked over his Knights, forming the sentences in his head as to what to relay to the Knights. As they stood there, he took in each and every one of them before nodding to himself, content that they were the best.

"Welcome. Thank you for coming. As you know, things have settled down and become quieter in the Kingdom and so I have a favour to ask all of you. Feel free to decline but you are my best Knights. I've had every other Knight go out and try to complete this, and each time they've come back with nothing. I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about." The King paused here, looking at the expressions of the Knights before him.

A few seconds later he continued. "I would like you to head down South, to Ayia, in search of my daughter. I want to know what happened to. You are my best Knights and I know you will find something and help solve what happened to her and my wife all those years ago." His expression was one of upset. He had never got over his wife's death or his daughters kidnapping. Despite people believing that she would never be found, the King would keep up his search until there was either a result, or his death.

"I have everyone making the necessary arrangements for travel to start tomorrow at first light. But, like I said, it's your decision. Should you accept, I will be at the stables to see you off at first light. If you have anything you want to say, say now or you can leave and prepare for tomorrow's travels should you decide to go. Thank you for your time. And should you go, I offer many more thanks. I'm sure you know that this search means a lot to me." The King nodded upon finishing, waiting to see if there were any questions or if the Knights were just going to leave to think about the request.

Ayia

Night had broken down South in Ayia and Princess Jasmine was sitting out in the courtyard. She'd previously been watching her brother, Shane and his friend Alexander, practise their sword fighting skills for most of the afternoon. Now though, Jazz was content on watching the night sky change to it's familiar blackness. The stars and moon could already be seen on the clear nights sky in June. It gave her time to say a small prayer to the mother she never knew.

Being the only female most of the time, (except for the maids who weren't allowed to interact with royalty in any way but to serve), Jazz often spent a small period of her evening talking to her mother when it was quiet. Shuffling a little, as she tried to get comfortable in her dress again, she stood to make sure the material hadn't got torn as she'd moved on the hard wooden bench. It hadn't, though the amount of times she'd ruined dresses, her father always easily replaced them.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a guard's voice. "Princess Jasmine. Your father has announced that dinner is ready and would like you and Shane to go eat with him in the main hall."

Jazz nodded and quickly replied. "Let him know I'm on my way and I'll be there soon."

He gave a short and swift nod before leaving. Jazz looked back up at the stars. The reflection in her green eyes. Getting up, she sorted out her pink dress before heading inside and towards the hall, wondering what feast was on the table tonight.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: A Life Unknown... [IC]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 pm

The vaulted ceilings, the friendly stone and wood decorum. Sir Miles Elrik Roark felt glad to be back in the welcoming air of the Royal House of Ilena. Things were lonely in the throne room, though, without a Queen or a Princess. Not dismal, though--never dismal. The King was too kindly for that.

Roark knelt like the other three around him. His helmet was in his left hand, his right wrapped around the hilt of his blade as he pressed the pommel to a submissive forehead. The ratted white scarf was tied tightly around the lower part of his face, making him stand out from the other of his Order. He was the oddball. The troll under the bridge, so to speak.

The King knew he had Roark's fealty. Roark stood silently and sheathed his blade. He sent a powerful look up the wide steps straight into His Majesty's gaze--when a man is not prone to speaking, his eyebrows and face are his greatest tool. Sir Miles Elrik Roark told the King without words that he would bring his daughter home.

He didn't care much for the other three. Some were younger than him, most had been hand picked for Knighthood and brushed up and cleaned up. Well, Roark didn't have time for this. He turned and swept out of the throne room. Shadows were beginning to fall, and he needed the time to prepare for what was going to be a long journey.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lunar Eclipse on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:21 pm

The sky was already beginning to grow dark, meaning it was time that Alexander left the abundant scenery of the castle to re-join the poverty and ill sights just beyond the gates.

As usual, his afternoon had quickly passed after some friendly sparring with his friend and heir of the kingdom, Shane. He would never know who was stronger or improving faster than the other. Partly because he did not like to exert too much strength in the first place, and partly because he didn’t dare hurt the prince by accident, he never put forth his best during their practices. It was likely, however, that Shane would have the upper hand even if he actually tried to win. His friend was taller and was in a much healthier state.

Walking towards main doors, Alexander happily checked the contents of the bulging bag in his arms. Out of habit, he carefully kept it close to his chest in a protective gesture as he walked through the castle. Even outside the palace he’d never been robbed before, but it never hurt to be to careful. Hidden in the old potato sack were some extra provisions for the week that he was allowed to take back to his family. The slight distraction of the 'generous' donation was more welcoming every time he passed a maid or guard. Whether they were staring at his 'modest' state, his over his eye scar, or the slight trail of dirt he was leaving on the otherwise spotless floor he didn't know. It didn't really matter though, it was simply unpleasant.

On his way out, he came across Jazz and almost called to her by her nickname. Mindful of the wary glances the guards were giving him, however, he greeted, “Ja-, I mean, Princess Jasmine. Off to join his royal highness?”

Lunar Eclipse
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 am

Avark leaned forwards on his great axe, the thick ash haft reaching five and a half feet tall, with ten pounds of fine steel forming the wicked blade. A broad smile played over his face at the chance to ride forth to glory and fame, though the expression rare left his face. Unlike his three fellow knights, he had not knelt before the still morning king (as no true son of the north would ever knell before an earthly king) but bowed low, in his own way of paying respects to his overlord.

Standing up straight, his tapped the axe haft loudly against the stone floor, three times. The chainmail covering his arms and torso clinked together, like hundreds of tiny ringing hammers. As the last echos of the taps faded away, the big man(and second oldest one in the room), step forwards to stand where the scarfed fellow had been.

"My King" he stated in a pleasant growl, "Ayia is a vast country, filled with squander and dirty people. Shall we wash up very village girl of proper age to see if we can find your missing child or have your spi...er....agents found someplace or someone we should look at more closely?"
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:15 am

It had been a long time since Roark had been to Ayia. He had endured a trying existence there. As he methodically went through his possessions deciding what to take with him on this tedious journey and what not to, all those memories threatened to come back to him.

Sir Miles Elrik Roark was a strong man, though. He could banish his own personal demons as well as the Droth'gra firebreathers near the Northerns in nearly one blow. Nearly. The man gingerly felt his chin where his maw had been so mercilessly mangled, a grim reminder to never fail. He went back to the job at hand, unflinching.

He resided in the Castle Kre'ya on the edge of the Southern Moor, not a far ride from the Royal City. It was a quiet and demure location. The tower spires and battlements would not reach high enough to even scrap the underbelly of some neighboring manors, but it was home. The Lady Eisengreld was gracious as always to his needs and his peculiarities, thusly, there was no bed in the small little keep-top room. Roark preferred the hard unforgiving ground. A man of his vigor deserved nothing less. He knelt on the weary flagstone with his armor and his belongings scattered about, packing.

It was a strange thing. Without his armor and barbaric tools, Roark still cut a frightening figure. It might have been the harsh angles of his body, or the smoothly powerful way he carried himself. Or maybe it was those stony, flint-grated eyes and the mysteriously hidden lower-face. They didn't call him the Death Faced for nothing.

Of course, Roark had many titles. He didn't know them all, but he knew some of them were flattering, and some of them weren't. He wasn't thinking about that now, at the moment.

There were only a few minor trinkets that needed to come along. Roark was a hardy fellow and had traveled with many few luxuries. His hand paused over a pouch of runes here, a satchel of herbs there. No. These things could be found on the way.

He was sure to bring money. While they were still in Ilena, they could receive room and board simply by being Knights of Ilena--as they should! But in Ayia there was no such respect if a man fancied himself stronger than you. Theirs was a brutal culture, one very much involved with 'Mine-Axe-Is-Larger-Than-Thou.' Roark allowed himself a rare chuckle.

Roark was planning on leaving the Eisengreld Manor tonight, and then spending the night in the Royal City. No need to have to thunder up the path and meet the others. Roark preferred to be punctual. He stood at last thinking that he had completed his task.

He ran his fingers through his hair, eyes darting too and fro. Yes. This would do.

There was a knock on the keep door. Turning reluctantly from the splendid job he had done, Roark padded to the large chamber thing and hefted it open with one hand.

"The Lady sent me." It was Loot, the manor's aspiring minstrel, and Roark's self-declared Squire. He was a young gangly fellow--all arms and legs, knees and elbows. He stood grinning up at the Sir Miles Elrik Roark the Death Faced without any trace of fear in his eyes, "To help you with your things, you know."

Roark knew this was not true. Loot had come up to pester him, hopefully to know where he was heading on this trip. He did not budge from the doorway, letting his very very firm and very very telling gaze do all the talking.

"I could wash your scarf...I could...well, I could do anything." Loot shifted the pack on his shoulder and revealed his poor and beaten lyre, "I could sing you a song of--"

Roark slammed the door in the boy's face. He turned on his heel once more, wheeling around to sit on the ground in the bare keep room. He had much contemplation to do and many miles to go before the morrow.

Through even the thick chamber door, a thin voice was heard.

"If apples are green and carrots are orange...
What--
. Hey SIR! What rhymes with orange?"

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 am

Ilena

Looking at each and every one of the Knights, the King knew that a good choice had been made. He wasn't surprised when one of them left the room, nor was he surprised as another Knight stepped forward to ask questions.

"My King" Advark stated in a pleasant growl, "Ayia is a vast country, filled with squander and dirty people. Shall we wash up very village girl of proper age to see if we can find your missing child or have your spi...er....agents found someplace or someone we should look at more closely?"

The King thought about it. He'd forgotten to mention the small possible lead that his agents had come back with. "Actually, they have come up with something. It's weak though and there is no definite proof." He started, glancing over at everyone and now thinking that he shouldn't have let them have the choice to leave. This was something they needed to hear.

"I will write a note to Sir Miles explaining this. I should probably have added this in, before you all left." He sighed. "Sorry, my mind is all over the place these days, not what it used to be." Moving some papers around on his desk, he thought about what to say next. "The agents in Ayia have mixed in with the Ayian people. As most know, they are severely mistreated by their King and the land is poor. But, upon mixing, they have heard some rumours."

Again, he paused thinking about how to phrase what he wanted to say. "Some townspeople have said that he has a daughter, yet the queen had died having only given birth to a son. There is speculation as to whether the daughter is his. But, the only problem is, no one has seen her. She's never gone out the Palace." Taking a breath, he then continued on. "I want to see what you can find out from the townspeople about this matter, while heading to the castle. I don't want people to know what we are doing, but somehow bring it into conversation if they are willing to talk to Knights. I have heard some very disturbing stories of how Ayian's are treated, so don't be surprised if they don't talk."

The King was long from finished, there was so much he wanted to say but at the same time he wanted his Knights to go and prepare for the journey. "I also want you to head up to the Palace. The King should let you enter, otherwise we'd get suspicious. Without telling anyone what you are really there for, I want you all to see what you can find out. Are their any more questions?" He asked.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm

The night had finally came and Shane was in his chambers, staring into the polished metal that served as a looking glass, for any imperfection upon his face. He knew it was only dinner with his Father, the king, but he needed to look his best for his sister, Jazz. Peering at his own green eyes he attempted a smile, showing his teeth as he pushed a hand through his butchered hair, a frown pulling his features down.

The hair cut had been a rather unwanted accident while he had been trying to look good for his sister, and the person whom had butchered his hair in such a way was, obviously, dead. He did not like the un-even strands and guessed his sister did not either, since she had not commented on them. Damn woman, never showing what he wanted.

A quick shake of his head had the shaggy strands sliding a crossed a clean shaved jaw as he sauntered from his room, holding his head high and ignoring the scurrying of maids and such below him, he did not need to worry about them for they mattered not in this society where he, his sister, his father, and anyone else deemed worthy reigned supreme. Yes, life was great for the prince- or, it had been if until he heard the sound of conversation in the hall way.

The delicate tone of his sister was beautiful, and he allowed a smile to pull his lips upwards again, his green eyes softening in till her heard the blasted tone of his friend speak to her. True, he enjoyed his friend and was rather glad they sparred, although he wished they could take it too the next level- but the risk of injury was to great.

A flash of jealousy welled up in his chest as he let out a small, snaky laugh allowing the cruel tone to echo within the hall-way as he stepped into view, giving a sarcastic bow to the two. “'Lo Sistar, Aleexander.."He trailed off, shooting his friend a veiled glare. How dare her talk to his sister, how dare anyone take up her time but him.
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Ayia

The Princess had finally made her way inside, bumping into Alexander on the way to the Main Hall where they ate. Smiling, she gave a slight nod of her head politely at him. She was always happy to see Alex and Shane, never minding if they called her Jazz. It was okay for her brother to do it, but not Alexander for he was lower than her and guards disapproved of it.

"Good evening, Alexander. That is exactly where I am off to. Apparently dinner has been served." The Princess was one of the only ones to use proper speech. Her father and brother used it only when they had guests around, otherwise they just spoke normally, but Jazz was different. "I'll see you later tonight, after dinner maybe? If not, I will see you tomorrow, I'm sure. Have a good night if I don't see you before." She smiled about to continue when Shane appeared from the room. He obviously hadn't got the message yet, or maybe he had. "Dinner is ready Shane." She informed her older brother, heir to the throne and the next King of Ayia.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lunar Eclipse on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Jazz’s response changed Alexander’s light smile into a more amused one. As expected of a princess, she always spoke with courtesy and with a softer tone than most of the other occupants in the castle. He thought it was all the better that she hadn’t acquired her father or brother’s rough manner of speech, it certainly would not suit anyone of feminine nature and especially not a noble lady. Just trying to imagine the girl barking orders at someone was

“C-Ahem,” Before the guards could imagine something strange from his changing expressions, Alexander quickly covered his mouth and did something between clearing his throat and a light cough. To buy a little more time to make sure he didn’t appear to spontaneously burst into laughter, he cleared his throat a few more times before continuing, “I see. I apologize for holding you up then.”

He made a low bow while mentally rolling his eyes, taking care not to spill the contents of his sack. He would never dare risk actually rolling his eyes, even if the other person couldn’t see, in case it became a habit and reason enough for some severe punishment if he ever got caught.

To Jazz’s question he straightened up and replied, “No, unfortunately I won’t be around for the rest of the day. I’m a bit occupied in the morning, but yes, as usual I will probably come by later tomorrow.”

“Good evening Prince Shane.” The young man gave yet another low bow in response to his friend’s greeting, who was apparently in an unpleasant mood. The glare wasn’t very obvious, probably to make sure Jazz didn’t really notice it, but Alexander caught it nonetheless. As the princess turned to talk to her elder brother, he raised his hands up, showing Shane the callused palms and made a very small step backwards. An unworded message of, ’Don’t worry, I’ll back off. Not a single finger’s going to touch her.’ He’d noticed from past events, when Jazz was involved Shane became a lot more disagreeable and less tolerant of him. It seemed a little over-protective for just a little sister but, he dared not guess further.

“The King probably would not want to be kept waiting, so I shall leave you two be. Have a pleasant dinner Prince Shane, Princess Jasmine.” Bowing a third time before the royal siblings, Alexander retreated out of the castle. Though it should have been a common sight by now, he could never get used to the abrupt change he got by simply stepping out of the palace borders. It was difficult to imagine that both the barren and green land stood side by side let alone the same kingdom. If there was anything even remotely beneficial to say about the lacking state outside the palace, it was that it also lacked the need for such strict manners and he could relax a lot better without people constantly staring daggers into his back.

Lunar Eclipse
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Ethereal on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Among the other knights that had been summon one could clearly say, that she was the only rose among the thorns. Her air of elegance and nobility were apparent upon her arrival. She knew her manners very well as one knee bended and head lowered to show her respect to the kind king of Ilena. A thought had already come to her mind for the reason of being summoned and that was the finding of the lost princess. It was no doubt that the search would be perilous and difficult in many ways.

But she would not relent, the mystery would be solved and the princess would be found. The scent of such enigma ignites her inherent curiosity; another thing would be that her being a female was not a hindrance to in her duties. It was truly annoying to hear people discriminate her just because of the gender she possessed.

One of the summoned knights had left the throne room without hesitation and without questions. The lady de Volkan had already predicted such an action from Sir Roark. The tales that she had heard about him had intrigued her mind but nonetheless, she had questions needed to be asked to the Royal King before them. Sir Avark had already spoken his share and she had listened to every detail and meaning. It could be said that she was such a detailed person but that is where her strength lays, Planning with the help of detailed information and then striking to ensure complete victory. After the answer had been supplied to the knight known as the Laughing, she spoke her piece.

"My lord, I am not contradicting your orders and plans. But you do know the implications of such rumors. The possibility of this princess of Ayia as our own heir to the land of Ilena would cause a great war between the kingdoms. Or, it could cause a rift between the relationship of Ayia and Ilena whether the gossip is true or not. If such things happen, I ask that we prepare for any eventualities. However, we knights would not fail to know the truth."

After saying what she has on her mind, she stood from her position and looked at the king with such confidence and brimming intelligence. It would be said that she was meant to be more of a lady at court than a knight with such beauty she had owned. Standing regally and without a hint of being intimidated. Although, her strengths gave her the right to be in the field where men had been well-known in. No one would question her abilities and intellect especially those who had seen and felt it.

"Before I excuse myself to prepare for the travel, My king would you stop the search if we ever fail?"

Lady Schön de Volkan was not known for failure and she would be damned if such a thing would happen. She had only asked this to witness the resolution their king had, if it had wavered in those 19 years of search. An assurance that the pillar of Ilena would not crumble with a breeze that would come to the lands. A feeling that this mission would be more than they would bargain that she was certain. Everything must be prepared accordingly and so must the king.
"Let me sleep... For when I sleep..."
Image Image
"I will finally see you in my dreams..."

Lady Ethereal
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Storyteller Person of Interest Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Armored Ghost on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:53 am

"Of course he shall endeavor to find the princess, Lady De Volkan." Arlight said appearing from shadow and bowing gracefully in a fluid motion, having never truely left the room, clerifingly saying, "To allow the lose of the fair princess, would indeed be permitting the eventual lose of Ilena, and that is indeed an event the wise king will never allow." Giving the king yet another bow, said apon rising, "Good king I shall endevor to find your daughter, whomever the company." Glancing slightly towards Schön, giving her a small half head nod and waiting for the king to tell him to be on with himself all the while wishing he could leave without dishonoring himself or disrespecting the king. (to go)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage All because I'm elite!

Armored Ghost
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am

The marshy lowlands of the Southern Moor were not a fitting home for Sir Miles Elrik Roark.

One glance at him in full armor mounted on a steed twelve hands high you would think he belonged somewhere more rakish. His coiled vigor in the saddle, his gleaming presence suggested a harsh land of stark fire and ice, not a temperate climate of sheep, heath, and farming squares.

Having just received the Lady's blessing for his journey, the Death-Faced Knight cantered through Kre'ya. As he went, many humble villagers, peddlers, thieves, and journeymen alike raised their right hands in the typical Ilenian salute.

See, as much as Roark was feared in the world, he was loved and respected here in the little backwater province. Without a Knight such as he residing in the manor, Kre'ya would have been victim to pillaging and raiding from the marauding bands of rogues. Kre'ya had no high ground to defend from and too much open land for the passing raider to steal things from. Now that Roark called this his 'home' the Southern Moor had been shielded from such altercations. The citizens were sad to see him go, but most clung onto the faint hope that if Roark were to achieve his Legends again, that somehow their small and overlooked province would be put on the map.

It had always been hard to tell Roark's feelings for the land. Rumor had it (and there were plenty about Ilena's most mysterious Knight!) that he stayed on at the Keep as a favor to the Lady's deceased husband, Lord Brockienfye. The stories went that Brock and Roark had been fast friends in a darker sort of history--one that strayed deliciously into the scandal of Ayian matters.

Whispers followed Roark like tongues of wildfire. The salutes and the hails of well-wishing were made, of course, but then voices always dropped low as spectators turned to gossip.

"Is that CALUET? The BLACKSMITH'S son?"

Yes--Loot Skittersson rode proudly next to the great Knight, mounted awkwardly on a moorland horse with legs just about as long as his were. His beloved lyre was strapped to his back and his floppy hair blew back in the mild breeze. Loot was bubbling over with a mixture of excitement and terror. He was excited to leave the sleepy province of Kre'ya behind, but terrified of what prospects lay ahead of him. Then the excitement would come back again, he would rear up in the saddle and nearly be jolted off when the pony would hit a rough spot of road. This process continued for quite some time.

Loot saw the mutterers, but in his mind they were praising him. They were all jealous that he was in such good graces with the stony-faced and silent Knight. You see, Loot had one claim to fame and one claim to fame only--Roark had spoken two words to him in the past four years, which was something that not anyone could just say.

He still relished them with all his heart and could recall the intonation down to the most bare inflection. Sir Miles Elrik Roark had spoken to him--and to him only! He had deliberated with him his most sincere thoughts and feelings.

The Knights words? "Thank You."

In Loot's wild imagination, this was an invitation for cavorting and frolicking. In reality, the Knight just hadn't been bothered to say 'no' but that was easily ignorable.

Caluet wished his mother could see him now. He was a Squire for a Knight of Ilena!

They rode along at a brisk pace for an hour and a quarter before Roark pulled up suddenly in a shower of loam and dirt. Loot scrabbed for his reigns to slow his own steed, but lost them--luckily the moorland horse had its wits and slowed on its own accord.

"What is it?" Loot asked. Danger already? They weren't even past the Path of Promise!

Roark did not answer verbally, of course. He simply pointed a finger off into the distance. Yes--over the weak and fuzzy hills of the marshland, there was a rider bearing towards them, carrying the white banner of a messenger from the Royal City. Without waiting to see if Loot was going to follow, Roark spurred his beast and charged on to greet him

The two riders met at the crossroads--one winding fork lead to the Royal City, the other lead further and deeper into the countryside. Roark raised his shield and showed his crest. In a similar customary fashion, the messenger raised his standard.

"Well met, Sir Miles Roark!" The messenger was a thin wisp of a man. His eyebrows were permanently drawn together, probably from a long career bearing serious and very tedious tidbits of news all up and across the Kingdom, "I bear words of great necessity from the King of Ilena--may his sun shine brightly for the rest of his days!"

Roark waited patiently. Stirrups jangled and sparrows called. The messenger swallowed.

"Er--right then. He requests that you...come back to the Royal City. He forgot some pertinent information in regards to your quest."

The Silent Knight blinked twice. He glanced meaningfully to the crossroads sign next to them, and then back to the messenger.

"Right." The messenger seemed to be deflating, "You were already on your way to the Royal City. Otherwise we would not have met at this juncture. Quite right, quite right." To escape the growing awkward of the moment, the messenger turned to Loot, "And just who the hell are you?"

Loot was about to open his mouth and shoot off some sort of response, but Roark got there first, clearing his throat with a choked sort of grunt.

"He is my Squire." The Death-Faced Knight drawled in a low grating voice.

Those four words were all that Loot needed to hear. He sat up a little straighter, beaming.

The messenger seemed in awe of Roark's seedy apprentice, and the fact that he had just spoken. At any rate, he nodded briefly to the Knight and thundered back down along the road past him--obviously on some other mission of communication. Roark looked over at the boy.

"Come." He said, slapped the beasts reigns and the duo were off.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Today had been a decent day for Lisa. She’d managed to swipe not one, but two potatoes off one of the King’s food carts that morning without notice. One of the advantages of wearing clothes a few sizes too big for her she supposed was the fact you could hide food or money easily. It would have been more than enough for herself, but with an entire group to feed, it wasn’t enough. It was hard to say how many there were in their group exactly, as man of the kids closer to her age came and went, but their numbers never dropped below nine. Two potatoes didn’t feed nine, and the bag of grain she’d stolen last month was almost gone.

She was going to have to make another big theft to get them by, but at least the recent addition of Marcus Jenkins to their group had been a plus. A scholarly bookworm, Marcus was the only one of them bringing in any legitimate money or food. He wasn’t from Aiya either, he actually claimed to be from some remote country in the east. Supposedly, his parents had been tutors for the Prince and Princess, but had died less than a year into their jobs, leavening him no money to get home. Whether true or not, as long as he continued bringing money and food in, she wasn’t about to question it.

She was almost ready to head back to their shelter, an abandoned, but fairly preserved stable, when one passbyer caught her eye. Male, about the same age as her by the looks of it, and quite tall, though none of those were what drew her eyes. It was the somewhat large potato sack her carried that granted him a second look. She had no idea whether that sack had potatoes or something even better in it, but he became an instant target. Walking out of the castle gates only made him more so, as the only people who came out of the castle with more than they’d come in with, were the king’s dogs, and as far as she was concerned they could afford to have their pockets lightened a bit.

She began tailing him on whatever route he was taking, just waiting for a heavier stream of people to come through so she could get close enough to pick his pocket, and get out unnoticed. It was a strategy she’d executed countless times without fail, and was more than confident she could do it again. She didn’t know who this chap was, but he was about to find himself a few coins poorer.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lunar Eclipse on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 pm

The sack he so tightly held to his chest was gathering a lot of attention, it was pretty obvious that it would in the desperate, hunger-filled streets of Ayia. Still, no one made a move to come near the young man to either beg or extort his belongings. Some were simply too scared to steal so near the castle walls, for getting caught was no different from receiving a death sentence. Others were being cautious because they knew, at the very least, that this lad was a familiar face around these parts. It made no sense, for someone who knew the dangers of the Ayian streets, to be clearly announcing that he had something of value unless he had confidence that he could protect his belongings. The sword at his side seeming to hint something to an ability to punish criminals.

They latter crowd was about half-right. Alexander had confidence that he could protect his belongings, but it had nothing to do with any fighting abilities. No, he was not the type to overestimate his abilities. What he had in mind was not as grand and was very simple to execute, almost taking no effort on his part. It was almost childish really.

With his usual smile on his face, he continued making his way home. It was very tempting to use a shortcut, but that risked running into more dangerous groups. Running into just one of the shadier citizens of Ayia could mean death, even if several people could hear your screams coming from the alley. Not one to take risks, Alexander decided to be content with using the wider streets taking care not to so much as bump into any of the other passer-bys.

Lunar Eclipse
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Ethereal on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 am

Schön gazed at the other knight that had spoken, she had known him for such theatrics but of course was also a very talented knight. After all, he would not be here if he did not deserve such a title but his methods would be considered unorthodox. It was not her place to say such a thing after all being a female knight and besting some of the veteran male knights had turned her into a target of mockery. Ignoring it all the same as it would not benefit her to lower herself for such a worthless topic. Remaining in her position for it would be rude to leave without hearing the King's personal answer.

It is true what Sir Arlight had said that it would be the correct answer that a King with unrelenting resolve should speak. But, hearing it from the King was her true intentions. She would not speak ill of the older knight knowing he was only saying what he had thought of the best course of actions. However, she did not like being interrupted in her process of testing. It was never meant to be answered by another person whoever he or she might be. The question was directed to one person and the only person that could answer such was the King.

"I am glad to hear such loyal words from you Sir Guffendt. It puts me at ease to be in your presence."

Although, the lady knight had no intentions to place her complete trust to any of her fellow knights. Betrayal and treachery had always been around and would clutch to anyone when the situation calls for it. The Lady de Volkan was sure that as humans they would not be immune to such as thing during their search for the lost princess. The events of her history had already been enough to make herself wary of such instances, but her doubt would not hinder her cooperation at all. For her opinion, it would be simply a precautionary method to be safe and to remain alive until the end of the journey. Giving the said knight as glance and a courtesy nod to acknowledge what he had said and returning her gaze to the benevolent king in front of them waiting for his answer and dismissal. After all, time was essential in their travels.

Lady Ethereal
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Storyteller Person of Interest Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:42 am

If Roark and Loot had gone down the other path, they would have traveled on aimlessly for about a league-and-a-half before the Southern Moor would harden into brush scattered foothills of the Midlands. By heading back towards the Royal City, though, the Moors sort of became swept hills with increasing greens and other lush vegetation. Loot watched this transformation with wide eyes.

Soon the castle came into view--a tall, proud thing rearing back into a darkening sky. Loot was gaping. He had never seen anything so large before. On the other hand, Roark was just glad that they had made good time on the trip.

The gatesman had seen Roark's gleaming armor from miles away. The gears on the drawbridge caught and started lowering as the duo approached. The Death-Faced didn't once pull up on the reigns, didn't once slow down. The split second the harsh wooden thing slammed into the earth, Roark was up and clattering across it and not a moment too soon. Loot picked his way with much more caution.

"Sir Miles approaches!" The booming call went out over the city, "Sir Miles--"

These cobblestone streets were hard on horses hooves. Loot had never seen the like before. Why use stone on the ground when you can use them to build another tavern? People bustled past him on compelling errands of business, on a mission and not about to be slowed. Even as light was falling and the day was drawing to its close, life did not slow down in the city.

"Well met, Sir Roark." People muttered to the Death-Faced.

Roark had ridden into town with other Knights of his Order as well. They greeted the amicable ones with waving flags and open arms. They cheered and they sang, they offered drinks, they offered daughters. Not so with he, himself. Roark set his mangled jaw behind the scarf and rode on, up the winding streets to where the King resided stiffly.

When they arrived at the Palace, the stablemaster hustled forward to take the reigns of the Knight and hit impromptu Squire. Loot got a strange look from the short and thick man. Just one fleeting question of, 'Wow.'

"Come." Roark spoke the same word again, but deliciously added a second, "Now."

Up the wide flagstone steps, across the airy foyer. Roark pulled off his helmet and shook out his scarf and let it flow.

"Is this where the King is?" Loot asked quietly as they stopped outside of a tall oaken door. The guards stiffened a bit at the sight of the gangly teen, and straightened their backs.

"This is a meeting of private matters," One of them started, this voice comically muffled behind a too-large helm, "Between the King and his most trusted--"

Roark slammed his way through the doors, grabbing Loot firmly by the upper arm.

"Back." Roark said simply in way of greeting. He dragged the boy to the front of the room, and they both sank into a bow.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:03 am

When the man finally turned onto a more crowded street, Lisa saw her chance. She moved in as close as possible to him without looking threatening. She usually didn’t have a problem in that area either; women in Ayia were given little credence as it was, and the fact she was petite and 5’4 only helped disarm people. After all, why would a large man, albeit a scrawny one, with a sword feel threatened by her? This was part of the reason she was so good at what she did. It also helped that he was so concerned with his bag, it would make it that much easier to lift his purse.

Once she was close enough, she carefully slipped her slender hand into his pocket, and gently searched for anything of value. It took longer than she liked to keep a hand in a pocket, was even slightly annoyed to feel things a lot like rocks in his pocket, but eventually she found the purse. She gingerly began lifting it from his pocket, and had gotten it out about halfway, when someone bumped into her shoulder, and she was sent shoving straight into the very man she was in the middle of pick-pocketing! Now normally, she wouldn’t have been so off balance, but it took a lot of concentration to pick-pocket, and she hadn’t been ready for the hit. At least she had the purse out all the way now, but she needed to make a quick exit before he realized she was making off with his money!

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lunar Eclipse on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm

As he walked along, Alexander barely, just barely began to notice a sort of movement in one of his pockets. This wasn’t too unusual considering he had quite a bit of rocks that shifted around regularly as he moved his legs but they began to dig into his side a lot more than usual. He decided to look down to see what was happening when someone abruptly bumped into him.

“Ouch!” The impact didn’t actually hurt so what he said was more of a reflex than anything less. He quickly whipped around to see a tomboy trying to scurry away. That certainly helped locate his target. But even if she hadn’t been acting so suspicious he would’ve gone after her anyway. Freeing his left hand he quickly reached out to grab the collar of the suspicious girl as he called out, “Hey you, stop for a second.”

In truth, Alexander had yet to see his coin purse in the girl’s hand or even notice its lack of volume in his pocket. He was merely following a basic rule his father had drilled into his head from childhood; immediately grab whoever bumps into you and check your belongings. It was a common trick among pickpockets to ‘accidentally’ knock someone over and take a couple souvenirs while they were at it.

Lunar Eclipse
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Oh not good! Lisa had to make tracks and quickly. If you got caught for anything, or even just accused, in Ayia you were dead. It was as simple as that. She almost snorted in a bit of cynical humour when he shouted for her to stop. Stop, who was he kidding? All that did was tell her legs to move more quickly! Some times she truly questioned people’s common sense. The situation lost humour instantly though, when she felt herself yanked back by the collar into the chest of the same man. She spared herself a quick glance at his face, a startled look lit her green eyes, but she recovered quickly.

She didn’t have time to panic, that would get you killed here, she had to act quickly. He already had the advantage of being bigger than her and being armed, and the situation was only made worse since he had a hold of her. Her only advantage, was that he probably was going to expect what was coming next. With impressive speed, she dug the heel of her foot onto the sensitive top of his, and once again made a break for it hoping it had surprised him enough to let go. All she’d have to do was make it to the back streets and she could loose him. It was infinitely more dangerous there with gangs who would beat you senseless for money and food, or worse if you were a woman rape you, but it was a chance she’d have to take. Better a rocky trail than a dead end, and if she got caught here, that’s exactly what it would be.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lunar Eclipse on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 pm

“Ackk!” He cried aloud. Only he hadn’t said that; what the young man actually said was an extremely foul word that should never enter a child’s vocabulary and, if luck would allow it, not even an adult’s. Unfortunately for anyone within earshot, Alexander had very little consideration as to whose ears he was fouling up in the single moment the girl’s foot slammed down on his. It certainly had the effect she probably desired, he lost his grip on her collar. He would’ve dropped his sack too, if he hadn’t regained his grip in time.

As soon as his ex-captive made a dash toward the alleys, he pursued her with enough will power for him to run as he normally would despite the throbbing pain quickly spreading through his foot. Just as he was getting into the chase however, he slowed his pace down ever so slightly as he thought to himself, ’Wait, no. Why am I getting so worked up? I can still chase her even if I’m calm.’ Changing his grip, his fingers tightly kept the open end closed as the rest of the sack was slung over his shoulder. With his free hand, he proceeded to empty out all the now-useless rocks in his pockets.

Alexander didn’t know how fast the short brat could be, but he too had confidence in his speed thanks to his long legs. Depending on how used to the area she was, there was a chance he would never he fast enough to catch her, and it would’ve been a problem if that was what he was aiming for. There was more than one way to catch a thief. ’Let’s see if you can lose a dog.’ He thought with an amused, yet slightly sarcastic smile. Keeping an even breath and both eyes trained right on the small girl, he continued to follow, making sure to remain just a couple feet behind her. Even he could he persistent if he put his mind to it.

Lunar Eclipse
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!