Announcements: Changes to Universe of the Week! » RPG: Season of Giving 2020 » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters » What latest tech excites me? » A question about 'hyperspace travel' and its use as a weapon » NaNoWriMo 2020 » A vacuum salesman in the Multiverse. » Being bored at work makes you do crazy things » Question here from the FNG » Recommendations of Reading material. » Do you "follow" characters to receive notifications? » My 2 Fav Poems! » Simple Vs. Detailed RPG Layouts » Warning About Communist-Inspired Upheaval and Revolution » The Best Sentence » Universe of the Month Nominations » The SCPF Wiki Project (not related to SCP Project in 2016) » What influences you as you write? And why? » Preventing Bitrot by Hosting Images on RPG » Interesting YouTube Videos » Xamoyan Bestiary »

Players Wanted: Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D » mahou shoujo rp » Avolair: Academy For The Supernatural [NEW][OPEN] » Calling for adventurers to explore Xamoyos » roleplayers wanted for shifters world. » The UCF- a (soon to be) group in the MV » Neothea: Phyrian Galaxy (Open) » Students Wanted: Arcane and Human alike » A Once Upon a Time Adventure. »

Season of Giving 2020

At the end of perhaps our craziest year yet, we choose to celebrate our writing family with that extra touch of gratitude. Tip your fellow authors for a chance to win 10,000 INK, with leaderboards updated daily.

Merry Christmas from RPG! 🎅

Listen to music while Roleplaying? Yes? No?

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

Listen to music while Roleplaying. Yes, or No?

Yes, Music is the greatest creation god has ever given us!
42%
Yes, Music is great and I will listen to it most of the time.
30%
Sometimes, When the mood strikes me.
18%
No, Music simply distracts me.
3%
No, Music is purely for listening to and to think of Roleplaying with it makes me shudder.
No votes
What is the point of this?
No votes
I like Cake.
8%

Total votes : 74

Listen to music while Roleplaying? Yes? No?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:32 pm

I know that some people listen to music while they Roleplay, and others do not. Some need music to clear their thoughts and come up with unique and creative ideas, while others just find the entire idea silly and merely distracting in the whole scheme of things. How about the rest of you? Do you listen to music? If so what genre of music? How about your favourite band? Any genres of music that you absolutely distain to listen to while coming up with a Roleplay post or not? Music music music.. Right back on subject.

I personally listen to music while making posts most of the time. Why? It isn't that it clears my thoughts, I just love music. It also helps me get into a certain mood, such as if the Roleplay has hit a sad moment, I play sad music to get into the mood faster.
I only teach those willing to learn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brovo
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Listen to music while Roleplaying? Yes? No?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dylaer on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Brovo wrote:I personally listen to music while making posts most of the time. Why? It isn't that it clears my thoughts, I just love music. It also helps me get into a certain mood, such as if the Roleplay has hit a sad moment, I play sad music to get into the mood faster.

I agree with you there to a certain extent, although I can't say I have much sad music. I find it helps me when I'm trying to set the tone for my own posts. I find it much easier to slip into a character with the appropriate music.
What's one or two...pieces of dust to scatter?

Aaand for some reason, my profile link works not. So here's the direct link
dylaer-characters-t12419.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dylaer
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Well, I simply love music to begin with so this wasn't a hard answer to me. Thanks for commenting and one last thing.

WOW! This website is alive!! I can actually watch my view count go up. It doesn't take two days to get ten views like on Gaia. Wait wait back on subject.

I love Rock n' Roll the most though. So much variety in moods for Rock. ^^

Brovo
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OrangexDoorhinge on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm

I listen to music ALL THE TIME. Not just when I'm roleplaying, ahaha. I listen to it when I'm doing school, reading, roleplaying, riding in a car, playing sports, anytime! Music is seriously the second best thing that God has created, next to human beings. Love it!

OrangexDoorhinge
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:59 pm

I love music. There isn't a specific song or songs that I listen to for certain types of posts. I listen to what I feel like listening depending, usually, on my general emotions of that day. I listen to all types of music, except for rap, country, and classical, but my favorite is rock/hard rock and some metal. My favorite band, by far, is Disturbed, but after that it's a toss up between Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Soundgarden. The list goes on forever, but I'll spare you the agony or reading my whole playlist + everything else I don't have.
Check out Eastbound, a zombie apocalypse story I'm writing on my own.

I may actually get back to this, now that I'm here again. Stay tuned!

Messiah
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 am

Wow man. I love most of those bands too. Are you like, my identical twin from mars or something? Yeah right. I'm just kinda glad that I'm not the only guy who listens to music while he Roleplays. That would be awkward..

Person 1: What are you doing?
Me: Listening to music!
Person 1: Weirdo.
Me: Aw not again!

Brovo
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CR22 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 am

Messiah wrote:I love music. There isn't a specific song or songs that I listen to for certain types of posts. I listen to what I feel like listening depending, usually, on my general emotions of that day. I listen to all types of music, except for rap, country, and classical, but my favorite is rock/hard rock and some metal. My favorite band, by far, is Disturbed, but after that it's a toss up between Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Soundgarden. The list goes on forever, but I'll spare you the agony or reading my whole playlist + everything else I don't have.

Disturbed: Poor, generic
Audioslave: Decent
Rage Against the Machine: Decent, if generic
Slipknot: generic
Linkin Park: pathetic, generic
Three Days Grace: Decent, generic
Soundgarden: Best one you have on here, not that that's saying much

If you want to get some good rock/hard rock/metal, check out Symphony X, Incubis, and the older Nightwish stuff (Nightwish is by far the worst on on there, but I'd consider their newer stuff to be only slightly less than older Soundgarden, and that's only because they switched from Operatic metal to pop metal.). If you want something that compares to Linkin Park, get Skillet, as they tend to be not quite as disgusting shitty.

Kasurin note Alright, you said your opinion - that's nice. Keep it classy (this doesn't mean sugarcoat the shit out of your posts) next time. Why? Because this is how flame wars start.

CR22
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:21 am

CR22 wrote:Disturbed: Poor, generic
Audioslave: Decent
Rage Against the Machine: Decent, if generic
Slipknot: generic
Linkin Park: pathetic, generic
Three Days Grace: Decent, generic
Soundgarden: Best one you have on here, not that that's saying much

If you want to get some good rock/hard rock/metal, check out Symphony X, Incubis, and the older Nightwish stuff (Nightwish is by far the worst on on there, but I'd consider their newer stuff to be only slightly less than older Soundgarden, and that's only because they switched from Operatic metal to pop metal.). If you want something that compares to Linkin Park, get Skillet, as they tend to be not quite as disgusting shitty.

Woaaaah! Okay okay I created this as a positive thread not a "lets go bash whoever happens to have different musical tastes." thread! If I wanted to do that I'd just go to Gaia! Stick with the positive. Personally, I dislike Nightwish. It's just dull to me. Dragging on and on and on. But hey, if you like it then good for you. Otherwise, I'll stick with my musical tastes. Don't like that? Don't gotta hit the quote or post button yanno. . .

Brovo
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:31 am

Kasurin note Please, please, please don't add fuel to the fire. I understand you don't want to back down from a chance of standing up for yourself. However, refer to first sentence.

Messiah
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spaced06 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:13 pm

People who attack others because of differences of taste should consider that everything is subjective.
As for me, I love music of any genre, from jazz to metal to ska to electronic, and everything inbetween, as long as it's good. Right now I'm on some psychedelic chill-out.
Favourite bands and artists? Gong, Anyreon, The Mars Volta, Cultura Profetica, Shpongle, John McLaughlin, Bob Marley
And of course I'll listen to some music while I roleplay, my imagination works better if there is a soundtrack.
The flock of bleeps surounds my ears.

spaced06
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kasurin on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Alright, this is/will/has gotten out of hand. I'm taking intiative and closing this topic, maybe cleaning it up, or keeping it closed til' further notice. If you have any questions, please PM me.

EDIT
Actually, instead of locking this. I'll just clean up the mess. And, if there's another mess when I come back, it will be locked and/or an administrator will take action.

Kasurin
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kasurin on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Consider this cleaned and noted. Those involved in the confrontation should check your PM boxes.

Kasurin
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tarskius on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 am

Hrm...Given that this could indeed be a damn awesome topic I'm gonna strive to give it something to live by.

You better believe I listen to music while I roleplay. Moreso when I'm about to fight since it takes a lot to get me into that particular mood and more to keep me there. I'll admit that I use Disturbed, Korn, and Three Days Grace and I'll admit they're all generic, but given that they fit the situation or mood they're fuckin gold for my imagination. I mix it up with some Streetlight Manifesto, Static-X, Amon Amarth, and for when I want that epic feel I reach for some In Flames. It's great for getting my mind into whatever situation my character has managed to finnagle himself into or even whatever messed up, obscure way he happens to view the given environment.

In retrospect, I really use it more for me and MY character and not the rp itself.
Failure?! No-way! I-taught-him-to-shake-hands!

Tarskius
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CR22 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Oh hell, yeah. Amon Amarth ftw.

CR22
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tarskius on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Viking metal in general is good for that epic feel. That's for damn sure. I listen to pretty much every band in my collection but those are definitely the top when it comes to getting into the right frame of mind. And...You need to check out my Viking Metal thread, CR22

Tarskius
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm personally quite fond of classical music; I really can't listen to--

I'll stop right now. Just informing you of my tastes.
And music tends to get me into the mood; for most cases, an upbeat air like Fiocco's "Allegro" is suitable; for the more lachrymose cases, I pull out a CD of Mozart's Requiem, or otherwise grab Rachmaninoff's Vocalise.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saint Lucifer on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Listening to music whilst roleplaying is not for me.
the cancer takes ahold the wolf is in the fold
our destiny's been sold we did just what we're told

:: AND WE ARE LETTING YOU GET AWAY ::

[ LAUREN, LARI, AND KIERS ARE AMAZING ROLEPLAYERS ]

Saint Lucifer
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:29 am

I also listen to music all the time, so it only makes sense that I do so when roleplaying as well. Generally, however, I don't necessarily choose music to actually roleplay to, but rather just what happens to be in my playlist that day.

However, if a post is failing to come to me, I will switch music and listen to something that sets the mood, allowing for better inspiration and general feel of how the post is supposed to be - This usually works pretty well.

Surprisingly, however, there is one particular song that seems always to get the inspiration out of me, regardless of post type - Disturbed's 'Forsaken' from the Queen of the Damned movie soundtrack. It's an awesome song that I love, and it seems to always work - Don't ask me why though, because I really don't know.

Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tarskius on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Hell, I disappeared from this for far too long. Classical music pretty much always equals win. Moonlight Sonata is by far the best overall.

Tarskius
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShinigamisHeaven on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:16 pm

Music Music Music! I'm always listening to music. Any kind of music will do.... but country ... No country... *shiver twitch* I mostly listen to Japanese, Chinese and Korean. Throw in a bit or Russian and German. Then there is Cold Play and Muse. And soundtracks like Sweeney Todd, Harry Potter, The Disney Channel. Music 24/7. That's how I roll.
If you wish to die, then I shall grant that wish. If you do not wish to die, then let me protect you! For that is all that I can do for now.

ShinigamisHeaven
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!