I loathe Sequals!!!!!!!!

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

I loathe Sequals!!!!!!!!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohanna on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:02 am

OK I was totally bored out of my mind and I said HEY didn't you always wanna do a rant? So I did one last night HOWEVER I decide it be fun to make one of my own so here it is.(Yuui-Chan you're my guardian so there fore CANNOT kill me for this rant XD) I have two nephews both under the age of 8 who live with me soon to be either 3 nephews or two and a niece Anyways

(1. Blah Just Blah)
I shamelessly admit that I still love Disney and other animated movies. Thumbelina Anastasia oh GOTTA LOVE that one Ahmen anyways. It pisses me off, when they ruin classics with SHITTY direct to video not worth a damn cent because the quality of the entire over used cliché plot line isn't even worth the 75 minutes you sit down to watch the damn thing videos! I MEAN COME ON, wtf did some country dog band have to do with Fox and the hound! When did Chief and Amos ACTUALLY stop, attacking Tod long enough to sit and gawk!?!?!?? It made NO sense, though I'll admit Dixie was pretty awesome even though she was a combo of Rita, Ariel and Georgette oh I'm gonna add lady too, because she totally had some lady in her.

(2. The Kids)
Notice these days the kids of all our favorite classics are a bunch of little mis understood woe as me my life is SOOO damn horrible because my parents actually care about me and try to protect me! Evidence: Melody(Ok I understand the whole point was Ariel was a fucking hypocrite because she did exactly what her dad did to her in the first movie anyways getting off the point) Alue from Balto 2: Um Wtf she finds out shes like 1/3? wolf and goes I HATE YOU! To her dad, damn just condemn HIM for not saying HEY DAD EVEN THOUGH I'm NOT BORN YET DON'T HAVE PUPS WITH A WOLF because MY SELF ABSORBED KID IS GONNA BITCH ABOUT IT TWO MOVIES FROM NOW! Even though his being half wolf saved the town in the 1st movie I guess THAT, doesn't matter. Kiara: Ugh dont get me started with her or I'll never ever shut up all I can say is she DISGUSTS me and is a SHAME, to the Lion King family, thats all I'm gonna say. The only Disney sequel child I find I really like is Jane from peter pan two because she actually HAD, a reason to be the way she was and her character developed and was realistic in the way it developed, OVER TIME she didn't just POOF realize she was wrong and believe, she had to work towards it. Basically the message I get is “I can be a smart ass to my parents and get away with it because I have the right to complain moan and whine about everything they do.”(XD I know I probably think WAY to much about this stuff....)

(3. Animation/Personalities)

Animation. Tell me why do they feel the need to change the characters? They never look the same way in the sequel two exceptions were Bambi 2 and Fox and the hound 2 which the quality actually upgraded, Other than that I get very peeved when I watch a sequel and BOOM, a character is different their eyes are a different color completely, they have a new attitude that makes them a different person from the first movie. STOP KILLING CLASSICS, I Swear I see one more Land before time movie and I'm gonna BLOW every fucking Tv I can get my hands on to the next freaking millennium!'

Well with all that said and done I think I've expressed my deep loathing for 80% of the Sequels I've seen. And I was just wondering if anyone else felt as annoyed as I did with the number of sequels produced for all these movies but then again XD Maybe I'm by my self on this one I swear though, if make a Beauty and the beast Two(Yes I know they have enchanted Christmas) and it actually sucks!!!*Sharpens machete*
Image <-------made by me! Yes I know I'm epic but the fact still remains. I win you lose happy days and a pair of high heel shoes

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

R.I.P my friend

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kohanna
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: I loathe Sequals!!!!!!!!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyrwolf on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:14 am

The only good movie with good sequels is Back to the Future. :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vyrwolf
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kædai on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:49 am

Well, I agree with you, some sequels are very bad. Ex: Pirates Of The Caribbean. The first was friggin' amazing. It made us love pirates again. The second, not so much. And the third, well...Not at all. But, some sequels are amazing, like Vyrwolf said, the Back to the Future series. And Terminator. Terminator had some awesome sequels, I actually like 3 better than the other two.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Kædai
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True Grave on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:53 am

Death Wish was an amazing series that's sequels got better and better.
"]Image

True Grave
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lake on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:55 am

Star Wars had some good stuff too. Not a big fan of Episode Two, however. D: To much lovey-dovey not enough killing and death.

Lake
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XXXCrimsonXXX on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:55 am

Kohanna I agree with you here 100% but some of those remakes were made to take out bad animation and other things like the two things about the Cliasic (Must be the very original) Little Mermaid was changed so the bad things could be removed.
if you would like to know them pm me saying them here could get me in trouble with the mods.

XXXCrimsonXXX
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:24 am

I will try not to make this very long, as I could go off on everything you said but don't feel like it right now.

Sequels do not kill classics. If they all suck, then don't watch them. When I watch a sequel, which I rarely do of animated Disney movies, I don't relate it to the classic original at all. Times have changed, and so has the demand of today's children. Studios are going to cater to the children of today, not the children of yesteryear. It'd be stupid for them to cater to us because their main audience is very young children.

Anytime you watch a sequel or remake, you should NOT...NOT COMPARE IT TO THE ORIGINAL. I took a Film Literature class this past semester where we basically read a novel and then watched a movie that was made from it. I learned, more than anything in that class, that a remake or sequel will NEVER be like the first or original movie, so you just have to deal with it. You can't compare a movie to the book it was adapted from, because movies are not like books, and cannot be made perfectly like the book. Look at it as it's own piece of art in it's own medium. You're not supposed to watch a sequel or remake with the same eyes as you watched the previous film with.

I have the PERFECT example. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory VS Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. A lot of people HATED Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because they compared it to the first one, but that is NOT what the director was going for. The director was trying to make the movie MORE like the book, but made it very different from the first movie. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, believe it or not, is much more like the book in that it has a darker undertone and gives the same sort of emotional feeling. Just because you great up with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory doesn't mean you can ostracize the remake because it's not what you're used to.

All in all, don't watch a sequel or remake with the same eyes that you watched the original with. Each movie is it's own piece of work, and deserves better. Maybe you didn't like Episode II of Star Wars in comparison to the other movies, but did you stop to think about how good of a movie it is on it's own apart from the rest of the series? That's the kind of mindset I learned in my Film Lit. class. Each adaptation stands alone and should not be trashed just because it's standards may be different than those versions before it.

Now, with Disney and their animated films, most of the time, they just want to make a crappy sequel to scrounge more money from parents. You have to be able to identify these crappy films and avoid them if you feel they will ruin your vision of the first movie. But in all honesty, I think the original classic Disney movies hold their own ground. If you're letting sequels ruin that for you, then you've got some issues that you need to work on.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True Grave on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 am

I personally like the Death Wish movies because they make the movies better each time. If you're unfamiliar with the series, it's about an architect who becomes a vigilante after his wife is murdered by thugs. The vigilante is played by the late, great actor Charles Bronson. As the movies go on, he becomes a better vigilante, but his character also grows as a normal person. That's why I think the series is so good. Now, Disney isn't that great to begin with to me because it's almost exclusively for younger children. Sequels only make a movie worse if it was bad to begin with, and sometimes it ruins the series. Despite the fact that you should not watch the movie with the same eyes, sometimes one movie ruins it all. Take Rush Hour, the great series starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Both the original and the sequel were a great mixture of comedy and action. Then, Rush Hour 3. It was poorly thought out, lazily acted, and filled with filler moments. There were so many things they could have done with RH3 and didn't. I'm sure not all of it was their fault, but it suffered nonetheless.

True Grave
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Malice on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 am

I have some things to say in response to that Dani 8D:

1. You just taught me a shitload on that little speech (Pardon my French)
2. A lot of times (Specifically stating Trilogies...or in Star Wars case, I don't really know O_o) you kinda have to compare it to the one's before it. Star Wars was built around action, around a constant war between Jedi and Sith. Episode 2 largely revolved around the romance of Anakin and Pam, where only one part consisted really of any lightsaber battles and general action.

That wasn't what the original's and the other two movies were going for. They wanted to progress the main plot, not drive off into a little romance subplot. So yeah, I'm kinda done XD.

Malice
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 am

I agree, the movie did go off on too much of a lovey rant instead of the development of the war. And I agree that to some extent you still have to compare it to the other movies, but it's still very easy to look at the film in it's own right. It was a sweet movie on it's own, and was well made, of course.

A series that big is a little harder to separate.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Malice on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 am

Aye, good point; but I was also never into much of the romance movies and all so I'm not a fan of it anyways. But on another note, sequels aren't all that bad, I mean look at the Blade Trilogy; first movie was epic and many thought the second=Epic Failure. Personally I thought it kept up the action and gore quite well :D. 3rd movie did much of the same, but bringing Dracula in I think was kinda cliche so as to try to bring another epic baddie so Blade can slaughter his sorry ass.

...yeah, I get ranting on that particular series. Vampire Hunters FTW!

Malice
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KilroyWasHere on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Alue from Balto 2:

But I like that movie. D:

KilroyWasHere
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quondam on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Disney classics are now pretty butchered up in my opinion because that's what the youth of today enjoy. Whatever big shots run Disney are just looking for cash, and so they produce things their audience, the children, will enjoy, no matter how much it may put dear Walt Disney's name to shame. I don't even bother wasting my time watching Disney's sequels, since they always seem so terrible.

However, all because Disney doesn't know how to create decent sequels, plenty of others do.

Take Die Hard for instance. That's a series that you either love or hate, but for those who love it like me, it just kept on getting better and better per movie! I didn't like the most recent one, but maybe that was because I saw it at a drive-in theatre, and the movie kept on skipping and screwing up...

Transporter also didn't have a bad sequel, although the plot was majorly flawed. The third Transporter film's gonna come out in December or something, and I can't wait!

John McClane: Oh, so I have an admirer? Why doesn't he just send me a bouquet?
Officer... Lorenzo?: Yeah, everyone knows you really like pansies.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

True, but ironic. You should know why.

quondam
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SlowlyCrazyIAmGoing on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:02 pm

WOOOOOO!!!

((Rawk Fist))

Yes! Well said! Disney sucks now... Has anyone else noticed that Disney hasn't exactly come out with a GOOD movie in forever? And I'm NOT talking about them sticking their filthy mitts into Pixar movies and parading "their creation" around like a sick vantriloquist!!

Yeah I'm done now.

SlowlyCrazyIAmGoing
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!