Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Dark Experiments/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Urban/Rural?

I think this would be best set in a giant metropolitan city like New York.
25%
I still think this should be set in a metropolis, but perhaps in another country, like Paris, France.
8%
I think this would be best set in a rural, isolated town in Nowhere, Country-as-F***.
25%
I still think this should be set in a rural town, but perhaps in another country, like Backwoods-fishing-town, Italy.
42%
I have a different idea that I mentioned in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Superpowered/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Igari on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Sounds wonderful! Also @Miss Echo, I completely agree about keeping in contact. It is how some of my best roleplays have flourished--roleplaying with strangers tends to have an odd effect and usually those stories die out... which I am sure we all have a lot of experience with.

@Seth That is super weird but at least you found a way to get on the site. Does it work on Firefox? I personally do not use Chrome so I am not sure if it is the application that is the problem or the website... sometimes RPG can be finicky. In either regard, yes, I will be around so definitely please keep us posted : )
I fell into that purgatory between waking and dreaming, the transient space existing between conscious and subconscious. It was beautiful... ephemeral. And I could not help but wish to stay forever.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Igari
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm embarrassed to say, but I honestly didn't even think about firefox lol. Thank. It works fine and I think I might just switch because Chrome has been giving me a lot of trouble lately.

As the rp, CAN DO! When I get it up and running, y'all will be the first to know! :-)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BoneBrain on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Hope you are having a bit more luck with the site! I find its a little finicky as well. I also chose the backwoods sort of town. I think that would give us a lot of room to place with and we can experiment with all kinds of settings. :)

Can't wait to see your finished product!

BoneBrain
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 pm

Ok! So update! Lol

@BoneBrain Just sent you a PM. It's the content I'm planning on putting on the page and I was hoping you had some ideas about designs and graphics and such.

@EVERYONE ELSE! I've decided what I'm gonna do is start off in the apparently preferred setting of a small Italian town. HOWEVER! What I wanna do is hold a vote, periodically when I think the plot asks for it or it just adds to the plot in general, where people can vote whether or not we need a setting change and also where the new setting should be. IC, this could be something like the local community starts to get suspicious of them or agents find their hiding spot and so now they have to leave. I think this will open up a interesting aspect to the rp that we don't often find in other rps. Would love to have all of your thoughts on this. And don't be afraid to say this won't work, especially if you have more experience in running rps. I want feedback and I want this rp to work.

I'll keep you all posted on further updates as I have them! :-) Can't wait to get this going soon!

Also! I'd like to know what you all think we should do about how the characters meet and the set up of their relationships in the beginning. For example, (1) do we want to have perhaps several testing facilities nearby and so it just "happens" that several of the characters just end up in this small town in Europe? And they eventually find their way to one another and go from there. Mistrust, backstabbing, paranoia, and then trust and struggles for survival ending in comradery. (2), or do we want to start with everyone being friends or at least allies against a common foe and all having escaped at the same time from the same place? OR, (3) we could do a combo. Where there are two or more groups/pairs of characters who escaped together who slowly find their way to one another and go from there.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am

Voting could be good, I think. Especially to herd the characters towards a certain destination or desired plot point, and work out the kinks of how to do so with whatever cast we end up with. I could definitely see the townsfolk getting suspicious of a random group of people stumbling into town looking kind of...less than normal, so that could be an interesting direction to take later on. We shouldn't determine everything by votes, I think, but it could also serve as a necessary tool at some points.

Also, I think it largely depends on what kind of cast we end up with. Some characters are naturally gonna be more trusting than others, while others might be more suspicious and stick with other characters primarily for survival. I don't think the groupings should be small, however- if it's only one or two writers/characters to a group, and one of the writers is absent for a long period of time for whatever reason, then it'll leave the other writer in a somewhat awkward position. If it's a larger group, however, then there's more room for people leaving and not risking the progress of the RP.

I would also say the relations depend on whether or not the prisoners are allowed to interact, and to what level. If they're kept in separate rooms most of the time, then there's a higher chance for paranoia and mistrust. However, if they know each other initially, there's probably a higher chance of camaraderie and such to hold them together. That's all just my own thoughts on the matter, though.
Soon we'll televise our
C O L O R

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Oh no, have I come to this too late? I'm always on the lookout for advanced games, run by someone who's got a definite idea about how they want it to go, and who is willing to guide it, rather than just let a bunch of characters crash into each other for a couple of pages and run out of momentum.

If you're still accepting players, and you're peering at characters, especially check out how 'Live Together or Die Alone' was run - mission-based, with a non-playing GM guiding the long-term story arc, a lot of collaborative writing, a 'spin-off' section for non-mission character development (The Farm IC). If you can offer anything like that, I'm sooo in.

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:38 pm

It's not so much that we are still accepting characters, so much as we haven't started accepting characters yet lol. So you are welcome to join when I open it. Also!!!! Is love some feed back from you! Seems like you have a few ideas, based on past rps (good and bad), and I'd love to pick your brain.

So @Faith Fanon, please give me any ideas you have on the management of this rp. I'd really appreciate your time.

@Miss Echo first, I agree with the voting. I don't plan on letting everything being held up to a vote. Just things that have like far reaching effects on the players like changing the setting. Second, I also agree with the group and relations thing. And I was thinking that the characters have been able to interact with each other. Mainly because the scientists who study them also want to see how they function socially, once triggered. See if it changes their personality or what not.

@EVERYONE ELSE, keep the feedback coming!

I would like to make this more collaboration where all the players build the rp of my basic setup. I feel like that might help keep everyone invested in things more if they helped create some of it. Plus it gives me more character dreams to smash and hopes to crush

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

I like you.
You are my type of roleplayer. And GM. Getting to crush character hopes and dreams into dust is one of my favorite hobbies. :D
I'm glad to know that not everything will be held up to a vote, as well as the whole function socially thing. It's nice to have the cast possess a knowledge of one another already, as it allows for good grounds for character relationships/plotting/etcetera, etcetera.

By the way, I have a question. Will you be using faceclaims/gifs and the like for fancy pages and stuff? I tend to be awful at choosing faceclaims for my characters, as it's hard for me to choose a face that fits just right/a face that actually has a name to it, rather than "500+ Pixie Cut Hairstyles!" or the like, so I just want to know so I can prepare in advance. :)

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BoneBrain on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:33 pm

I'm thinking a couple testing facilities in the area might make for a good story telling situation. We could potentially have a lot of inner conflict as well as conflict from outside forces. I agree with Miss Echo however. If the groups are small there is potential for someone to have to wait for another writer when they do not potentially want to wait.
Perhaps groups of 4-6 would be an ideal number.

I also think voting to take characters to new places or to give us new plot points is an excellent idea and gives the writers something to look forward to. Having previous relationships is fun and will help us just jump right into the story.

Yes I have the question about face claims as well! I prefer live Face claims but I could be persuaded to do anime or even just a drawing. :)

BoneBrain
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:06 pm

I don't really have a whole load of ideas right now, Sethwy. It was just what you said about presenting players with challenges that reminded me of one of my old games. If you read the 'How this RP works' section on the Introduction page of Live Together or Die Alone, you'll get the idea.
roleplay/live-together-or-die-alone

Basically, the GM, Bosch, had two characters who acted as proxy for him, giving missions to the characters. We were then free to succeed, fail, or throw any other element into the story via our posts about completing the missions, and that would direct the course of the plot. We were encouraged to submit them in a week but obviously there was flexibility. There would be a kind of 'debrief' post after the missions were all completed (or failed) that would hint at their impact. Bosch could also tweak it with various other occurrences as he felt necessary.

It's a type of game that only works in a very regimented set-up - a community that has a base to work from, leaders to obey, and a world to explore. So, a settlement in the zombie apocalypse, marines on an alien planet, mafia footsoldiers out on their turf...

I don't have a whole lot of experience of supernatural games - not my normal style - but maybe the GM's 'leader' character could be some sort of Professor X who can communicate telepathically with all the player characters, giving them missions or warnings or whatever. Some people could distrust 'the voice' and fuck it up for everyone...

The other thing about LTODA was that we had a hardcore of four or five really dedicated writers, and we all collaborated via WritePad. There were no egos about post count or word count. Bosch tried to expand the game and it all fell apart and he lost interest/had no time.

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:09 pm

I found a few WritePads. In some of them, you'll see the kind of collaboration I'm talking about.

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Haven%20Love%20Boat
In 'Love Boat', for example, you'll see me occasionally writing for Rann's character Hoppy, and Rann writing for mine, Laney. Then I'd just tweak what Rann wrote for Laney, and Rann would tweak what I wrote for Hoppy. Usually it was just dialogue, especially since Hoppy had such a distinctive voice.

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Haven%20-%20King
This is a three-way between me, Messiah (Ben) and Selene (Karen),

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Have ... Impossible
Me and Selene

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/e9qXqv5Hqt
There's some good examples of collaboration in the start of this one, but by the end, I had to write it pretty much by myself. Don't be that person.

I don't know how people feel about this level of collaboration. It helps if everyone has a really well-drawn character. The trust necessary for that much collaboration doesn't come automatically. But if you're up for it, it can be sooo rewarding.

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Oh yeah, and the word counts were enormous - an average of about 4,300 per post, third highest on the whole site. Cos we were so into it

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:47 pm

@BoneBrain & @Miss Echo To answer you both, I will require face claims and I will require live/non-animated ones. (i.e. real people lol). I don't use anime or animated pics unless the setting is like fantasy or sci-fi. And I totally agree with you Echo, love dashing the dreams of poor, unsuspecting characters.

In regards to the groups, I am beginning to agree with just using pre-established relationships. There's also nothing stopping us from doing pre-pre-established relationships between certain characters who maybe have known one another longer than they have other members of the group. That being said, do you have suggestions on how many groups and total characters we should have? (Also, I like the suggestion of 4-6 members in each group._

@Faith Fanon Thanks for the links and you're still helping me with ideas, whether you know it or not. In fact, what you've shown me is a good segue way into an idea I wanted to pitch to everyone.

SO, I was wondering if y'all thought it was a good idea to have the forums house roleplays or create extra places in the rp to allow for more private, maybe one-on-one rps between characters. We could also allow people to post like little intros or just posts of experiences in their character's past that can further our insight into that character's history and personality. Just wanted to know y'all's thoughts on that?

Also, in regards to collaboration, an old rp I was part of used chatango for players to meet up in and chat and discuss ideas and such and I figured that might be a good idea for here too since I feel like we will be collab'ing a lot. I will put the link below, just pop in any time and I will be on for at least the next 4 hours.

http://rp-planning.chatango.com/

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Igari on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Oh my lord, there is a lot to reply to here. Let me try to start from the top. I think several testing facilities nearby is a great way to start--and we can even have a mix where perhaps some others knew each other, perhaps some others did not. But I am a big fan of improv, creativity--and going out of your way to spark initiative. I do not want you to hold my hand, I want you to let me dive into your world. So it is okay if we are not all friends in the beginning, we will get there.

As for voting--we do not need to vote on everything as @Miss Echo has stated. There has to be room to let us choose the path we are going on, and sometimes surprises among players is nice. I would like to potentially have the freedom to plan things, amongst ourselves, to allow each other to unravel mysteries that we begin piecing together. Something I will openly admit is sometimes I do not tell the full truth on my character sheets. Why? Well once I had a character with a completely false and rigged backstory. Threw everyone, even my GM, for a loop and it was a lot of fun.

I say that to say, it is okay to not plan everything, it is okay for us all to contribute our own energies, because as long as we stay to the fiction and do not try to hog the spotlight, it will probably turn out alright. //giggles Besides, supernatural is supposed to have an element of the unknown!

Speaking of unknown. As we get to the nitty gritty, maybe we should discuss what sort of powers we have developed. I am not a big fan of ANIME PROTAGONIST--in fact, I love to underpower my characters... flaws help them grow as people.

Chatango is a good move--some of these interactions we can work out in forums, in group--as long as we are communicating is all it bubbles down to in order to figure out precisely how these interactions will be made possible.

Igari
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:08 pm

So I like all the notes that you mentioned Igari and I've really enjoyed talking to you in the chatroom.

@EVERYONE Just to clarify, we have come to an agreement as far as what you can withhold in regards to your character and what I need to sign off on just for a matter of consistency. So stuff regarding exact personal experiences that your character has gone through or secret motivations you want to hold on to until the right moment, that is FINE! Definitely feel free to withold that until the time is right. But powers, definitely have to be run by me. End of story.

Also! Would like to through out some other stuff that has been hashed out while talking to Irgari. No characters under the age of 18 and all face claims need to be famous people. By this, I mean they need to be easily located by a google search. Don't use a private individual who hasn't given consent for his likeness to be used. (And don't use yourself, stupid! Should have to say this but hey....)

Also, just so everyone knows, my idea is that the characters will be closer to Jessica Jones than Superman when it comes to superpowers. Not too overpowered, but definitely more than human. AND, in this plot I was going to have powers develop as a result of a trigger. So your character either needs to be involved in some kind of terrible incident or some tragedy so that their powers are just turned on by accident. That or their blood work lands in the hands of an agent who then reports the person as being a possible target and are then abducted.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Igari on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Off shoot of the convo in the chat room: I mentioned that skype is sort of a more immediate means for contact but apparently there is also a chatango app.... I am a big fan of hopping on mediums so we can type in real time and communicate so is there a preference for how we do this? I might even choke go on over to kik if that is what we wanted. So really it is a group preference on how we want to stay in immediate contact. Longer posts I am totally fine with handling on forums and the like. Or in the OOC thread once the RP is up and running.

Also I swear I am not the sick person Seth will make me out to be... //feigns innocence

Igari
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for the Jessica Jones reference - I'm completely out of my comfort zone with superpower stories. I'll be honest, I don't even like all the Marvel/DC/X-men films that have been out this last decade because there's no sense that anyone's ever in any real danger.

Sethwy - In LTODA, we had 'The Farm IC' in the game's forum as a sort of sandbox roleplay area that wasn't connected to the missions - some people used it a lot, others not at all. You thinking something like that?

Igari - I love the idea of an unreliable narrator character sheet. In fact, on my current character sheet, for Araminta 'Minty' Moses, the personal history section is just a first-person narration and there's no telling what's true and what isn't. She believes in magic (or does she?) in a world where there is none, so how reliable is anything she says? None of the other players have picked up on it yet though :(

But how about we turn the idea on its head? The GM knows something about our characters we don't. Sethwy mentions triggers - perhaps he can drop something on us mid-game that we have to deal with. After all, we'll have to live in and react to Sethwy's world anyway. Messing with our characters' minds is not going to be that different from messing with their physical circumstances. Obviously it'll involve a degree of trust on both sides - we'll have to agree to take on Sethwy's twists, and Sethwy will have to promise not to fuck us too hard - but we're all here cos we consider ourselves advanced players, right?

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:28 pm

To everyone who frequents this interest check!

Please, at some point soon, come onto the chatroom so I can run a new idea I have by you.

Due to BoneBrain's wreckless sharing of cool, multi-genred gifs, I am now conflicting on the theme of the rp. Essentially, the debate I'm having with myself is Supernatural versus Science Fiction. Instead of the freaky science and superpowers....perhaps go more of a witchcraft/Lovecraft way with the story.

If you don't like the new turn I'm considering, please speak up! I'd prefer you join the chat and plead your case for either direction, but if you can't, I understand. And if not, please at least say something here!

Also, I have a few ideas that I do want to run by people about this second option. Possible variations we might take. So please! FEEDBACK on what route you want to take! It's crucial.
Last edited by sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Re: Lovecraftian/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Just so everyone who comes into this rp knows. The plot has changed a bit.

There will still be evil secret groups after the main characters and thus, still have an "on the run" feel to it. However, we will be centering around more secret knowledge, terrible cosmic forces and entities, and characters struggling against terrible odds to just try and understand what the truth really is.
If you want to join our discussions which are primarily happening in our chatroom, just pop in anytime at:
http://rp-planning.chatango.com/

We will still be putting updates out every so often to inform potential players of the progress towards starting. Hope to see you all soon! And act fast, slots are filling up.
Last edited by sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Re: Lovecraftian/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:14 am

I'm obviously in the wrong timezone for teh chats. But I'm so down with witchcraft.

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!