Low level spar

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Low level spar

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

T1 Posting.
No powers or special abilities.
No Godmodding.
Medieval tech.

My character

Setting
A large field, the grass recently flattened after a long drought. Minor rises and dips in the terrain with no other obstacles. Opponents start at opposite ends, nearly 200 yards between them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Leli
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Low level spar

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SubjectThirteen on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 am

......Challenge accepted.

"The world has changed, brother. Opening your eyes is no longer enough to see the truth... as, truth be told.. sometimes, we see the world for what it truly is with our eyes closed"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SubjectThirteen
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 pm

(OOC: Did you want a time limit on this?)

The violence of war was not wasted on Charles. The fear of death was ever-present, even during his short rests in the stone walls of his manor. Today was no different other than that rather than be granted short rest, he was granted none. His duty was to serve as guard to his father's estate, challenging those who sought to take it, and dueling those who challenged their actions. There were of course the odd riff-raff and bandits who thought themselves in position to demand compensation that he would deal with as well. Rarely did he know of his opponent. Age, heritage, nobility; it would all leave them were they to die. But today was different, for although he did not know the man he would face, he did know that they would not end the battle in blood. His weapons were not blunted, however agreement that should the one of them yield the other would be victorious.

And so prepared for a training session rather than death Charles stood where he always did when men challenged him; a small rise in the ground made him appear taller, the small pockets and hills in the land were visible from his perch and let him move through them without difficulty. His pavise, the front a worn and burned image of what was once a man spreading the splendor of God to heretics, known by the marks along their backs, rested at his side propped against a leg rather than the spike that would normally be used. Between the shield and leg stood the crossbow on its butt end; to begin a fight prepared while the other man has yet to introduce himself is greater cowardice than fleeing war.

"I am Charles Lemarr, son of Arfron Lemarr of Orumith. What is your name challenger?"

Nearly two hundred yards apart shouting his name was the only way for the defender to set the duel to an official commence. He waited patiently for the response of his opponent, only a silhouette visible across the field. When the other man was ready he in turn would ready his bow, prop up his pavise and fire at him until he ran out of quarrels, or until the man was close enough to slash open his belly.

Leli
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SubjectThirteen on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 pm

( OOC : Yeah, no more than three years can pass between posts, sound good? LOL )

A tall, brooding figure stood these many yards away from the heir of the lord. Before him, stood a man with from what he could make out was a battered shield and a cleverly placed Crossbow at his side. He'd asked but a simple question, and as he, the new challenger raised his falchion, the point of which directed at his foe, his left arm raised his shield. The symbol of the wolf cast into his kite shield serving as his calling card, "I am lord Esbern Stark of Winterfell!" he shouted, starting a slow pace toward his new found foe. The ground was loud with the heavy clang of his boots against it. Esbern knew the tale of the archers, any moment, the rain of arrows would begin to fall, even from one of them it was a force to be reckoned with. Before long, he was at a steady trot none too rapid to save his strength, the two-hundred yards at 180 and closing faster by the second.

SubjectThirteen
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:16 pm

(I guess 3 years is a bit faster this time around. Also this is like half a lesson for me, so if you notice me do something blatantly wrong or stupid let me know why so I can not only fix it, but understand why it was wrong. Unless of course I'm waiting another 3 years in which case you'd better have some nice goddamn flowers for me.)

The impending figure that advanced at a steady rate towards Charles was one he was certain he could deal with. Judging by the mans pace he could fire off two quarrels, three if he didn't sprint the last fifty or so yards, and still have time to draw his sword. Setting the plan in motion Charles flipped the crossbow onto its head and slipped his foot into the steel stirrup at the point. From behind the shield he withdraw a claw like lever. Made of rough steel the tool wasn't meant to be aesthetically pleasing, only aid in drawing back the near two hundred pounds of pressure the crossbow needed to be readied.

Curved edges found themselves seated on lugs along the outer body of the crossbow. Pulling on the goats foot it would draw the string of the crossbow until a faint click was heard as the circular lock clutched the braided rope. Laying the hook by his foot Charles placed a bolt with a bodkin tip on the crossbow. Capable of piercing even plate the tip was a cheap though deadly choice and was widely used. Raising the weapon to his shoulder he took aim at the body of Lord Esbern Stark and fired.

Unlike a traditional bow in which the arrows gained loft the crossbow fired on a significantly flatter flight path. Though this made it easier to predict where it would strike the chances of someone knowing where it would land when it aimed towards them were slim, even at a significant distance. Lord Stark however was outfitted with a shield and Charles knew that it would likely take the blow of the shot and the one following it unless his wit was matched by a farm boys.

Readying and taking aim with a second shot Charles watched for an opportunity to present itself. If none did then he would fire into the ground and charge, sword in hand, to meet the opposing lord.

Leli
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SubjectThirteen on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 am

( I promise you, the nicest flowers you'll ever see. lol )

Esbern was correct, the opponent's weapon of choice, a crossbow, and from how far away he chose to use it, a relatively powerful one. 'The only down side to such a powerful bow' he thought, veering off to whichever side would place the firer's own shield between himself and the actual shots would both carry the Lord from the path of the bolt, but also create an obstacle between himself and the enemy, should he have drawn another bolt.
The distance twined the two would now be less than 120 yards, the long trot of the stark coming to a head of speed as he started another elongated cut to his run, careful to keep the enemy's shield between the two, but only so slightly that were he to move the other direction, the foe would be forced to re position himself to take aim.

( Looks pretty good, but detail is key. When you're firing your arrows, cool, I got it, but you should always keep body position in mind as well as your point of aim. Great writing style, though. It's really fun to read. )

SubjectThirteen
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:33 pm

The shift in direction of his duel partner made Charles smirk. He enjoyed a challenge and it was never fun when someone fell to the first blow, particularly from afar. Though taking pleasure in harming something was somewhat grotesque in his mind the challenge of seeing who was better was the real enjoyment, and if someone couldn't stop something as predictable as a shot, what good would they be in the fray.

Adjusting his leg so that the pavise resting on it faced again towards Lord Esbern, Charles took aim and fired the quarrel through the air. This time it was aimed low, towards his knees possibly grazing them if he moved left or right while continuing forward. He could see that he would have one more shot before they met with blades. However, it seemed that the man would not be killed by such a simple tactic. Instead Charles drew his blade, a hand and a half sword with a fine tapered point. A straight blade it wasn't as formidable at cleaving as the falchion, but it was adept all around and was enough even against heavy armour.

Keeping atop his perch the defending lord retreated from his supported shield allowing it to fall to the ground. The crossbow was thrown to the side and the quarrels the other in turn, except for one which he slid in his belt near the sheath in case of being disarmed. Turning his body so that his right foot was forward along with the sword Charles faced his chest at the approaching Lord Esbern and awaited the clash of blades.

He trusted that the plated mail he wore over the leather jerkin would prevent the falchion from tearing too deep into him. Similarly the splint mail that covered his arms and legs would hopefully do the same. That left only his head open to a death blow, and the same nooks and crannies that every armour clad knight feared having snipped.

Leli
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SubjectThirteen on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Alas, twas not the forte of house Stark to bend, to brake, or to waver. Thusly, Esbern committed to his forward motion, allowing the second shot to slip between his legs, many would believe this to be bravery, but truly, this was nothing more than knowledge of archery, being that one must lead their target, and sheer, blind luck.
His next brutal footfalls would bring him to Charles, and as he neared, his technique would alter itself as well, he lead with his shield, in what appeared to be an attempt at a cavalier's tackle of sorts, behind the shield was his handy falchion, leading with the hilt, horizontal the marching surface and perpendicular his form.

( And it didn't even take me three years. :) )

SubjectThirteen
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:26 pm

((OOC: Only a few months this time around. If I understand right your character was leading with his shield, the handle of the sword leading the blade. His silhouette would have resembled a cross between his posture and the position of the blade. If that's wrong let me know and I can edit. If that's right, well kudos to QB for explaining it to me.))

The braced charge of Lord Stark was not one Charles was willing to take, certainly not when he couldn’t see how his adversary had readied his blade. His right foot already facing towards the man Charles waited, hands gripping the hilt of his sword firmly, until Lord Stark was just beyond his striking distance. Stepping forcefully to the forward left Charles aimed to bring his body to the right and unshielded side of his enemy. His sword lagged behind his step, albeit only slightly. With a full bodied motion Charles swung from right to left across what was Lord Stark’s chest, and what would be the center of the shield. Leading from his right foot into his left and twisting his torso the blade marked its way towards Lord Starks shield, the force behind it the a culmination of Charles strength.

The blow wasn’t meant to cleave the shield in two nor to kill his adversary, but to slow the charge and force Lord Stark to bend to his right under the force, halting his charge and standing him directly in front of Charles again. If he managed to injure the man’s wrist, so be it.

Leli
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SubjectThirteen on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:09 pm

(( Yeah, QB is pretty good at reading my writing style. Big thanks to him for the assist, because he helped a lot. Alright, now, to business. ))

As the heavy blow sailed toward the sprinting Stark, he pivoted on his right step, stopping with the left and catching the blow against his shield.

Using the force of his own momentum, as well as the momentum from the swing of the enemy's sword, he twisted slightly, throwing the blade as it slid against his shield in order to bend back on the enemy's wrist a touch as the blade passed it's target.

Immediately following this attack, Stark countered with a slash of his own, targeting the enemy's throat, he swung over his own shield so as to continue blocking his midsection whilst still delivering the hopefully fatal blow.

(( Lemme know if I missed something, I will gladly edit. Also, can I just say how nice this is? This is how RP style fighting is meant to be. Nobody is mad. No arguments. Just good, clean sportsmanship and assessment of eachother's skills. This is what it is to Spar. I'm glad we could do it, no matter how long it took, and hope we can continue this match in good fun and have many more in the same manner. ))

SubjectThirteen
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:06 am

The assault had met its mark, smashing into the challengers shield and effectively slowing his charge ahead of Charles. As his sword struck the shield the twisting motion of Lord Starks body caused it to slide, a slight bend in his wrist making it difficult to force the sword to do otherwise. Telegraphing his intent so strongly Charles was ready for a counterattack and watched the mans body closely.

The advance seemingly did not continue, and rather than retreat Charles pushed forward making a quick one-two step and dropping his body to put his left shoulder under the fulcrum of the shield. As he did the falchion swooped over the shield at what would have been his head. Counting his blessings and continuing with his push Charles used the momentum of his body and attempted to push against the shield with his torso, freeing his left hand from his sword to grab at the edge to pull on the shield and reveal Starks shield arm. As he attempted to grapple the man his sword came up in a swift vertical arc aiming at the mans elbow, the pommel leading. He hoped to injure the arm weakening his defense while simultaneously tangling Stark's arms so that any counter he launched would lack the power needed to penetrate Charles' armour.

Leli
Member for 8 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!