Lyrical interpretation?

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

Lyrical interpretation?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby linkster~ on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:22 am

The topic is as blunt as the title makes it out to be. I just want to gauge out how in-depth people can be when it comes to discerning different lyrics. All I really want from this thread is a nice discussion about different lyrics from different songs. It doesn't have to be the whole thing, maybe just a small excerpt that stood out to you more than the rest. Anyways, after that, I'll take a listen to the entire thing and 'try' to understand what it's trying to say, you're free to do the same. Haha. I'm not a master lyrical interpreter, but it's a fun pastime seeing other kinds of music people are into and figuring out the underlying meanings to them.

I guess I should start this off. It comes from a song by The Eagles, by far one of my most favorite bands of all time.

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine.
It's hard to tell the night time from the day.
And you're losing all your highs and lows
aint it funny how the feeling goes?
away...

The song is Desperado. I'd like to see what you other people draw from that. You should probably listen to the entire song, to get the full context of it's meaning, but that's the particular verse I have my eye on.

Thank you!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

linkster~
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Lyrical interpretation?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

I really love pulling part song lyrics. Sometimes there are just too many levels, and sometimes I try to make more levels than what there actually are!

My memory of this song is being in Colorado. The mountains, the horses, the fences, snowshoeing, everything.

"Losing all your highs and lows"; talking about just slowly losing emotion, slowly sliding into this sort of nonexistence. Apathy. I hate it. Indifference. I hate it more. Living life without extremes just leads to this sort of sad .. abiding. I hope to never slip into that sort of living.

I'm curious to hear what other people think .. potentially other Eagles fan?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: Lyrical interpretation?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby biancacorgrott on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:57 pm

I think that ViceVersus nailed it. Apathy - a slow, almost unnoticeable process that creeps into your soul. You long for it - to not feel, to pass any unwanted emotion by) - but then, once you've lost it, you want it back so desperately.

That's my take.

biancacorgrott
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!