Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library »

Players Wanted: Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players »

Machinepunk

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Machinepunk

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Machinepunk

______________________________________________________________________________________
For your reference:
Dalcaria

______________________________________________________________________________________

So this isn't a story or anything like that, just some bits of information I want to get out on paper for my reference, and the reference of those interested. I've sort of decided I'd like to "categorize" a new "punk genre" aesthetic that in some ways already exists, but I feel is also distinct and unique in its own right, and therefore warrants an additional "category". Perhaps that's a bit pretentious, but on the other hand this does create some more well defined aesthetic genres for us as writers and readers to sample from.

Machinepunk (in my mind) is a lot like steampunk and dieselpunk, but rather than being one of these two, it falls in between them. Steampunk is about gears, brass, and steam, a somewhat optimistic (albeit polluted) look at a fantasy world. Dieselpunk is more about streamlined shapes, airplanes, art deco, WW2, and the black smoke of a petrol engine. Machinepunk differs from both of these as it isn't bright and shiny like steampunk (with it's sometimes arbitrary use of pipes and gears), and it isn't as streamlined and sleek as dieselpunk.

Machinepunk is brutal, crude, necessary, and oppressive. Where steampunk represents a techonolgically advanced Victorian Era, and Dieselpunk an advanced 1920's-1950's, Machinepunk falls into the brutal industrialism of the late 1800's and early 1900's, specifically WW1. Some examples of this (for reference sake) is obviously WW1 itself, but also some of the styles in Warhammer 40K. Machinepunk can take some of the other aesthetic styles from both Steampunk and Dieselpunk as well (largely in fashion and such), but when it comes to technology (specifically military technology), it's not frilly or fancy, it's imposing and intimidating.

Will try to write more on this later, this is just an intro for now, but hopefully it provides a little insight and entertainment for any who are reading!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lord Saethos
Member for 4 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Group Theory Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest Novelist

Re: Machinepunk

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanker72 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 am

I know it's been a long time ago, but it sounds like it's aesthetically up my alley. It doesn't have the optimism towards technology of steampunk, it's not as deluded and subversive as dieselpunk, and big machines always have their own appeal due to the rule of cool.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tanker72
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Promethean Lifegiver Tipworthy Conversationalist Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Tanker72 wrote:I know it's been a long time ago, but it sounds like it's aesthetically up my alley. It doesn't have the optimism towards technology of steampunk, it's not as deluded and subversive as dieselpunk, and big machines always have their own appeal due to the rule of cool.

Yeah, I have unfortunately been incredibly busy! Wanted to add more to this, and I plan to later, but I've just been up to a lot. lol

I like the mix because I feel like it has some of the fancy aesthetics of the Victorian era to Georgian era (I think that's the one for WW1), but has some of the more dark aesthetics of WW1 and WW2. I like it to be a little mix between the realistic and unrealistic, without being over the top.

The buildings too have been a fun thing to explore, with stuff like proper Victorian era architecture, but also having that sort of "brutalist architecture" the Nazis and Soviets (during Stalin) had been going for.

There's more to it than all of this I would say, and I'd love to show more of it in the future! Thanks for the reply by the way, it's nice to see someone else felt some resonation with these styles, hopefully I can post a bit more in the near future!

Lord Saethos
Member for 4 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Group Theory Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanker72 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm

The Soviet and Nazi architectures tend to be quite different, especially during Stalin's rule, when Soviet builders went towards something inspired by neo-Gothic architecture, and the Nazi one being more inspired by Antiquity; then, the Cold War USSR and its satellite states went for a more futuristic use of concrete, but that was partly for practical reasons, as most of Eastern Europe had been razed during WW2 and had to be rebuilt quickly and cheaply.

Tanker72
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Promethean Lifegiver Tipworthy Conversationalist Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:43 am

Tanker72 wrote:The Soviet and Nazi architectures tend to be quite different, especially during Stalin's rule, when Soviet builders went towards something inspired by neo-Gothic architecture, and the Nazi one being more inspired by Antiquity; then, the Cold War USSR and its satellite states went for a more futuristic use of concrete, but that was partly for practical reasons, as most of Eastern Europe had been razed during WW2 and had to be rebuilt quickly and cheaply.

In my view, Machinepunk Architecture would lean more on that Antiquity and Neo-Gothic architecture than on futuristic styles. I haven't yet decided how skyscrapers will all look, other than one I have planned for my story of Dalcaria (the HQ of the Office of Science and Magic) is directly based off of the Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science.

This Pinterest board I have for Dalcaria also shows some of the architecture that has inspired the landscape. Some images there are "out of place", don't mind those, I just needed an easy to place spot for them for RP's I was/am in. lol

I'd also say some of what you can find in Dishonored partly fits into Machinepunk as well, it's got that more advanced, Victoria aesthetic to it without all the gears and steamy stuff of steampunk, and it also doesn't go as far into the future as Art Deco. Machinepunk doesn't go as far as Art Deco (at least currently) since that's more associated with Dieselpunk.

Lord Saethos
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby FathersDislikeMe on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 pm

So much yes.

I'm getting Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow vibes, but without the pulpy optimism and "right always wins" associated with that kind of high adventure.

Instantly, I started to wonder about the Banana Wars, about what would happen if Lt. General Butler had went up against Central American "rebels" if, say, some kind of Latverian-esque mercenary technological dynamo was secretly bankrolling the natives and funneling them machinepunk-style weaponry to fight back American invaders.

You will be including eldritch horrors, yes?
"I put on my robe and wizard hat." - Bloodninja

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

FathersDislikeMe
Member for 1 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Lifegiver Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanker72 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 am

Lord Saethos wrote:
In my view, Machinepunk Architecture would lean more on that Antiquity and Neo-Gothic architecture than on futuristic styles. I haven't yet decided how skyscrapers will all look, other than one I have planned for my story of Dalcaria (the HQ of the Office of Science and Magic) is directly based off of the Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science.

This Pinterest board I have for Dalcaria also shows some of the architecture that has inspired the landscape. Some images there are "out of place", don't mind those, I just needed an easy to place spot for them for RP's I was/am in. lol

I'd also say some of what you can find in Dishonored partly fits into Machinepunk as well, it's got that more advanced, Victoria aesthetic to it without all the gears and steamy stuff of steampunk, and it also doesn't go as far into the future as Art Deco. Machinepunk doesn't go as far as Art Deco (at least currently) since that's more associated with Dieselpunk.

I'm all in for a setting inspired by Stalinist architecture, there's something impressive and... otherworldly about it, if it makes you feel like in you're an alternative universe when you're near it IRL, it'll be a perfect choice for your setting, it'll really give it an unique identity and help players with their immersion.

Tanker72
Member for 1 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 am

FathersDislikeMe wrote:So much yes.

I'm getting Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow vibes, but without the pulpy optimism and "right always wins" associated with that kind of high adventure.

Instantly, I started to wonder about the Banana Wars, about what would happen if Lt. General Butler had went up against Central American "rebels" if, say, some kind of Latverian-esque mercenary technological dynamo was secretly bankrolling the natives and funneling them machinepunk-style weaponry to fight back American invaders.

You will be including eldritch horrors, yes?

I definitely need to watch Sky Captain still, but I have an idea about what you mean! My ultimate hope is to try striking a balance of "realism" with my Dalcarian Stories, with little bits of optimism and pessimism, and trying to approach morality with a bit more "grayness" to it, rather than painting things as just blatantly black and white.

As for Eldritch Horrors, that's certainly a future consideration, though that's somewhat outside of the aesthetics themselves? Like it lacks that "Pulp" vibe you'd find with some of the Lovecraft inspired detective roleplaying stuff, or Dieselpunk war stories.

The planet in Dalcaria itself deals with things like demons and such, but most of the time (note I say most) the denizens are equipped with the means to fend them off.

Lord Saethos
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:25 am

Tanker72 wrote:I'm all in for a setting inspired by Stalinist architecture, there's something impressive and... otherworldly about it, if it makes you feel like in you're an alternative universe when you're near it IRL, it'll be a perfect choice for your setting, it'll really give it an unique identity and help players with their immersion.

Yeah, I feel that having some real world reference material helps people to really visualize what everything looks like. It's not all Stalinist architecture though, so what you'd end up finding is cities with some very clear signs of how they've been influenced and evolved architecturally over the ages. Adds some flavor to it, like finding abandoned ruins in video games!

Lord Saethos
Member for 4 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!