Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Masquerade

a topic in Realistic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Masquerade

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:23 pm

This role-play is about diplomats and such that get together for a masquerade ball. It will be a little different. You can create your diplomat, chat with others, or even dance the Waltz. Please make your characters diplomats from made-up lands. Have fun!
Name=Mithos Yggdrasial
Hair=Short Brown
Eyes=Brown
Height=5'10"
Weight=145 pounds
Status=Prince of Crsytaline
Mithos awoke to the servents scuttling around in preparation. The big End of Spring Masquerade was here. Mithos knew that his father was expecting him to find a bride tonight. Talk about pressure.
Son, I want you to find a bride. It will be your time to rule soon, and you need a bride to soften up that stony countanence of yours.
Well, now was the time. Mithos stopped one of the passing servents and asked,"Is my new formalwear ready?"
"Yes, your majesty. They are right here." The servent handed him a sea blue cloak with matching trousers.
"Tell my father I will be down soon."
"Yes, your majesty."
I'm collecting moving avatars. If you have one, send it to me in a private message.
ImageImageImageImageImage

If the music moves you, the people care about you, and the place is like home, savor the moment!

Time stands still for no one! What are you standing around for, there's chocolate to be eaten.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Masquerade

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Name= Arbarary (Ara) Bandersnatch ( are-burr-rare-ee )
Hair= Black
Eyes= Yellow
Height= 5' 8"
Weight= 123 pounds
Status= Niece of the King of the Shadowlands
~
Arbarary instantly fell in love with her costume the minute it came back from the seamstresses, a white sparkling dress that fell in large cascades of cloth. A slight bluish tint added to its beauty. The top sported small pearls embroidered expertly into the cloth, nestled between the raised stitched flowers and vines. Decorated with small clear jewels, fine netted wings sprouted forth from the back, like that of a butterfly’s. The mask that would hide her face was a white smooth mask that covered the upper half of her face, painted with small glitters. The tiara itself, centerfolded with a large pink diamond and two small bluish ones, topped the whole ensemble, as did the shiny dancing slippers and elbow length white gloves.

As a maid helped her tie the corset shut in the back, Arbarary watched herself in the shadowy mirror. It was fogged, for some unknown reason. A shadow-world gazed back at her, winking at her, telling her she looked beautiful. And she felt as if she did.

"Miss, you're done."

Ara's porcelain white and delicate skin gleamed in the light softly as she reached up to adjust her tiara, slightly put off by the maid's adjustment to her hair, "Thank you. You may go and tell them that I will be right down just as soon as I prepare myself mentally." Such blatant remarks usually emitted from her mouth.

The maid blinked, nodded, and left, leaving Ara to her ponderings.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rache
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:45 pm

As Mithos started to head downstairs, he found a mask sporting sapphires around the eyeholes. His father had told him not to hide his face very much, so that the ladies could enjoy, as his father said, "his full features." This meant more air-headed girls hanging on his every word while always staring at him. He hated the feeling of the girls just, staring. No intelligable conversation, just looking at him. It made him feel more like he was a statue at St. Margerite's museum then a real person. As Mithos descended the stairs he heard his mother call out,
"Mithos, you look positively dashing. I have a strong feeling you'll fing that special someone tonight. I just know it."
"Thanks mom. But, it's not the end of the world if I don't."
A nervous looked crossed Queen Sarah's face,"We mustn't talk like that. You know there's nothing I hate more then a downcast masquerade. There will be plenty of eligable ladies. Like, Arbarary, the King of the Shadowlands niece. I have heard she is quite beautiful."
Mithos looked at his mother worridly,"Mom, just promise me you won't set me up with somebody, ok?"
Queen Sarah let a smirk come over her,"Alright, you have my word."
Together the two of them headed toward the Great Hall for the midday meal before the early guests arrived.

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Ara quietly padded down the hall, blue eyes gazing through the eyes of her mask as she headed for the Grand Hall, the place the masquerade was to take place. Smiling softly, she paused and traced a finger on the wall of beige fleur-de-lises and golden filgiree. Beautiful candlebra lit the corridor.
Ara continued.

Soon, she reached the Grand Hall, a huge, beautiful room. Brown, ebony, beige, and reddish-brown tile spread across the floor, accenting the beautiful tapestries that hung from the walls. The vaulting ceiling, decorated with painted figures and landscapes, stood inlaid with golden threads that swirled like vines and bloomed with budding flowers. A huge crystal chandelier blazed light from the center of the ceiling, a large fountain of water that froze into crystals in mid-spurt. It brightened the room like a miniature clear sun and threw dazzling crytalline waves against the walls of this vast and wonderful illusion.

Servants ran about in disarray, providing last touches here and there. A potted plant that provoked the thought that Venus had fallen from its station in heavens to grace it with such beautiful blooms to place by the door; tablecloths for the ebony tables, come from the far reaches, expertly woven with innerlaid silk and velvet; and dark and vivid banners, meticulously woven, that blazed forth the colors of the invited dignitaries' homelands.

Ara saw her homeland's flag, a crimson red flag that held several underneath it. Upon that handsome field of red shone two golden stars, their loving relationship interrupted by the abrupt appearance of a 'x' in the exact center between them. The banners below showed the provinces that the militaristic and imperialistic Shadowlands had subjugated since its beginning days. Her homeland prided itself in strict control over its soldiers, its vast armies, and its beautiful, productive, but especially war-prepared cities.
Every man knew how to fight.

Sliding forward across the floor, Ara heard her dress lilt a whispering sigh softly, revealing its movement behind her. The wings that decorated her back shuddered softly with every step, giving them motion that brought them to life. Ara grinned faintly and glanced around.
Where was her father who she had come with?

Unable to see the one who she looked for, she sighed and retreated to a small side room, almost covered by a secretive red curtain that hung there for any one person or any group of people who wished for their privacy. She wished for company though. She sat on the exquisite couch within, an ebony-wood framed beauty of a furniture piece. Obviously, this had been expensive, so she carefully stroked her hand against its velveteen surface in amazement.

The Shadowlands barely traded, and, when they did, she traded for industrial profits only. Every weapon that exited her borders were no longer used by her soldiers; outdated weapons for the other countries to have in exchange for grain and silks and animals.
Ara wished desperately that one day they could buy such things like this couch. It was so beautiful and soft...

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 pm

The party had just began and Mithos was already being assulted with women. They were covering from every direction. It seemed Queen Sarah had broken her promise it seemed. But, she always broke promises that dwelt with his love life. Mithos suddenly spotted a girl dressed in all white. Gentle wings flowing behind her. She looked like a fearie princess. He began to follow her with his eyes.
Mithos was suddenly interrupted by a familiar sound,"So Mithos, have you spotted anyone with potential yet?" It was Mithos's father,King Eric.
"I don't know, it's possible though."
"Well, don't forget how important it is that you find someone,TONIGHT." With his last "encouraging" words, King Eric strode off to socailize some more.
Mithos refocused his attention on finding that girl. She looked so, beautiful. And, somehow different from the girls he was constantly meeting. Mithos tried to search for her but was assulted by some more girls, undoubtedly sent by his mother in her never-ending quest to find him a suitable suiter.

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:04 am

Ara attracted men like crystallized honey that attracts flies. Males flocked to her, beretting her to dance with them as she desperately tried to escape their eyes. At the moment, she backed into a corner, staring as a certain stubborn man advanced with an outstretched hand, "Say, please, lady? Will you dance with me?"
From his accent, he wasn't from this kingdom and certainly wasn't used to rejection.

Ara shook her head, "No, thank you. I've already told you, I don't want to dance."

The man lilted, "Just a dance? A dance is great for learning-"

A shadow appeared behind him, and the man spun around as a dark hand clasped on his shoulder and a cold, gravelly voice said, "Excuse me, sir, but could you please stop harrassing my daughter so I can talk to her?"

Arbarary's father, Jhavonte Bandersnatch, stood a good seven feet, a dark prince of the Shadowlands. His skin, a midnight black that accented even his gray and crimson general's uniform. Ara's pleading hadn't changed his mind about showing his pride as an ambassador from a military nation, but she successfully had bothered him out of not wearing his sword. Crimson and blue medals told of his venerable, honorable position. His liquid gray-black eyes that peered out from under black hair streaked with a viscious cobalt blue glared at this botherer of his daughter.

"Uh... yes... sir..." The man scurried away from this monster of a dignitary.

Jhavonte, or, more commonly called Bander, glared after him and then turned his eyes to Ara, "You looked absolutely terrified, Ara. If we didn't have a treaty with his country, I would have had half the mind to duel him..."

"Don't. He's just stubborn."

Bander smiled pointedly, baring his filed-to-points teeth, "Mmm... They wouldn't come so quickly to court if they knew you were my daughter, a Shadowlander. Shadowlanders are rather... unpalatable to these honoraries' taste. But your skin doesn't give you away, as mine does. I'll be forcing women to dance with me all nice, and I might get a few good duels in..." He fingered his chin in pleasant thought.

Ara shivered as he brought up the issue of her skin. Unlike most Shadowlanders, her skin lacked the black pigment that so heavily permeated their race's skin. Her skin color and her eye color among her race was a one in a million chance, but she had scored it, much to the amazement of the royal family. But, because of it, her uncle the King payed extra attention to her, earning her the title of 'Favorite Niece'...
As if it mattered.
All it entitled her to were regular visits to her uncle, who continuously hinted at his desire for her to marry his son, the crown prince. Father eagerly tried to push her in that direction, but Ara...
She liked the prince, but as a friend, not a lover.

Bander took her by the arm and led her out onto the floor, smiling, glaring out at the surrounding people, "Yes... Let me parade you around a bit... Maybe it'll discourage any more suitors."

"But... Father... I do want to meet some new people. No one will want to talk to me if I'm with you." muttered Ara.

Jhavonte frowned, "'People will talk, and people will fight, but talk is still talking, and fight is still fight.' If someone really wants to talk you, they'll brave me."

Ara wrenched away from him and turned, showing her decorative wings to the dark prince, "Nobody wants to brave you, Father. I'll walk around on my own."

Bander caught her by the wing, and Ara dared not step forward lest she tear the precious part of the costume. Softly, Bander mumbled, "Do not do anything... rash, dear." He released her and turned, quickly disappearing into the gathering crowd.

Ara sighed and turned, and immediately sighted the stubborn dignitary. She strode in the opposite direction, anxious not to repeat the experience of being cornered by the man. Her dress made its usual ruffling sound as it slid behind her.
The solo voice of a violin began its own wavering symphony.
Last edited by Rache on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Mithos continued to pull away from the women. They were of no importance to him. Although, with every woman he retreated from, he could see Queen Sarah's face tighten a little more.
"She is even more determined then ever," Mithos admitted to himself.
Suddenly he caught sight from the girl he had seen earlier. She was being spoken to by a tall, hefty, dark man.

"Don't bother with her, son." It was King Eric, back for another check-up."That Jhavonte is a stubborn old bean who would more likely kill you then let you near his daughter."

"Wait, that's Ara. She looks so, different from the last time I saw her."

King Eric put a matter-of-fact face on and said,"That's because the last sime you saw her, she was seven. It was at the Dignetaries Orientation, back when the Shadowlands was newly established."

"Oh, I think I'm going to go talk to her. Maybe she and I have something in common,"Mithos cast and accusing glance at King Eric,"fathers who but in."

King Eric chuckled and then looked back toward Mithos,"Alright, I can take a hint. Good luck son."

Mithos walked toward Ara, spending every precious second rehearsing what to say. When he got to her, he stuck out his hand and said the only thing he could think of,"May I have this dance?"

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:02 pm

"May I have this dance?"

Startled, Ara glanced up as a man in a handsome blue outfit approached and offered a hand quite blatantly. Most other that night had just fiddled around, flattering her, wooing her, before asking, but this one just put it out straight-forward.
Smiling faintly, Ara glanced over the man's shoulder and saw her father glowering in her direction. Was this what he meant by rash? By being asked to dance and possibly accepting?
Ara switched her gaze and peered into the man's eyes; such soft but almost stony eyes they were. She accepted the hand and delicatelly stepped forward, "Yes, you may. And may I ask who is asking for the dance?"

Behind the man, Jhavonte twitched in annoyance and started towards them, but a King, the King Eric, blocked his way and cheerfully greeted him. Jhavonte appeared more than a bit put-off when the King took his arm and directed him over to a group of ladies in the opposite direction, but he complied and sullenly went in that direction, casting warning glances back at Ara.

Ara smiled in relief and took the man's other hand, "I will not dance with someone who's name I do not know, so you must tell me."

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:15 pm

"I am Prince Mithos. It is my castle in which you are right now. Tell me, how does it compare to the castle in the Shadowlands, Miss Ara. If it is not to foward to call you such. Anything that is not to your liking, can and will indeed be changed."

The violinists began to play the Waltz. Mithos became nervous at the prospect of taking part in the dance he was worst at.

Why must the Fates be so against me?

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Ara stiffened in his arms as the traditional music for the waltz began. Oh dear... Gingerly, she hesitantly put a hand on Prince Mithos's shoulder, as was the ladies position for the dance, "The castle? It is very beautiful, both inside and out. At home, though?"
She hesitated before muttering, "Castles at home are the same within pretty much, but not so many imports... or exports... or whatever some of these things are. Outside, though, they're pretty dark... compared to yours."
She felt her cheeks blush and hoped the powder would hide it. That was one of the advantages of the black skin she so strangely did not possess. It held emotion rather well.
Then, rather suddenly, the most blatant sentence she had spoken that day sprang forth: "I like the couches."
Immediately, she blanched. Had she just said that to a prince?

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:50 pm

Mithos couldn't help laughing,"Out of the whole castle, you like our couches the best?" Mithos smiled at the genuine truth of it all.

Suddenly, he felt her foot under his. Mithos blushed,"I am so sorry. The waltz, if you will, is my Achilles Heel. I do hope you won't hold it against me."

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 am

Ara smiled in relief, "Oh, that's okay... I'm terrible with the waltz also."
A boy with intriguing conversation, who didn't drool over her body like some lunatic rabid dog! How surprising to find in such a foreign nation as this!
She felt his hand at her waist, where its postion should be, and blushed. Normally, she didn't like feeling people's hands on her body, even through cloth, but she also made herself feel emotionless and distant. That usually scared them away, made them embarrassed of touching her, but emotion in situation like this was rather... foreign, as it may be called.
"If... if I end up tripping over you, it'll be perfectly normal. I'm just apologizing for it now... Sorry..."
She didn't want this to end at the moment. This Prince Mithos was the first male creature she had been allowed to have a decent talk with, not to mention touch, for the longest time! Usually, her father kept all boys and men at bay, warning that, if they touched her, he'd duel them to the death...
And no one wanted to fight a prince such as him.

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:16 am

Mithos felt the world at peace around him. This seemed so right. Then, as he should have expected, King Eric proclaimed,

"I hope you all enjoyed the End of Spring Masquerade. It is my sorrowful duty to say it has come to an end. I hope to see you all again soon."

The music stopped and Mithos felt a sad air,"Oh, it seems the night has come to and end. The time went by so quickly. I hope to see you soon."

Mithos released his hold on her, reluctently, and walked away. Mithos felt a new sensation sweep over him. It was a feeling that it hurt to be away from Ara. What is this feeling?

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:24 am

Ara watched the Prince go, soul feeling half relieved but also half hurt. He had been such a charming man...
The first real contact with a foreign nation, she could even say.
The instant the Prince was away, a strong rough hand snatched Arbarary's upper arm, and she wheeled around to look into the furious face of her father.

Teeth bared in a livid sneer, Jhavonte hissed, "I saw your face. You were happy!"

"Father, I was enjoying myself. That it is why it is called 'dancing'."

He pulled her close and peered curiously into her face, searching out the lie, "There is a difference between dancing and flirting, Ara. I saw it. I saw it then, and I see it here." He reached up and traced her right eye.

Ara sighed, "You see nothing, Father. I was just dancing, and dancing very badly at that."

Bander gazed at her sourly, but his air of anger faded, "Fine. We already have wasted enough time with this silly party. Now, we must leave."
Turning, he tugged her away behind him, a dark shadow towing a white faerie princess to her cursed cage in the darkness.

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:41 am

Mithos awoke. His eyes were still groggy.

He spoke to the maid tidying his room,"Henrietta, are mother and father awake already?"

"Yes, your majesty. They are in the dining hall."

"Thank you. You may go now."

Henrietta curtsied,"Yes your majesty." With that, she departed.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As Mithos walked into the dining hall, both Queen Sarah and King Eric stood.

King Eric spoke first,"So Mithos, did you find anyone special? Don't keep us in the dark."

"I think I did father. I truly think I did."

Queen Sarah practically jumped up and down,"I told you I had a feeling. My feelings are never wrong. So, who's the lucky girl?"

"Ara, she and I danced the night away, with but a few words."

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:20 am

Ara had spent all night travelling back for her homeland, nodding off to sleep in the jolting carriage as Bander moodily stared out into the growing dark. Bander shook her awake as they approached the main castle, a dark looming structure of immense proportions. It sprawled in every direction for several thousands of meters. Tall towers and vaulted cathedral-like roofs crowned this royal living place. Unlike the castle back in Crystalline, its walls varied between the black obsidian rock that the Shadowland's quarries specialized in and dark granite rock.

The gate house itself was the size of a large, large house, and two shadowlander guards gazed down at the carriage as the driver called out that these were the diplomats, returned from the foreign land. Slowly, with a loud groan, the ebony gates creaked open, and the carriage passed through into the main courtyard.

The other generals were hosting their weekly inspection, yelling orders to rank upon rank of shadowland soldiers, who moved as one. At the end of every seven maneuvers, they would erupt into a loud, gut-wrenching cheer, stomping their feet, and saluting with their spears or swords or axes before pounding their shields with them.
The spectacle was a usual one, and Ara hardly cast it a glance as she stepped down from the carriage.

As Jhavonte exited, he gazed admiringly at the troops and nodded happily, "So good to be home, isn't it, Ara?"

Ara didn't respond, mind burdened that she had returned to the cage. No more humanely intelligent contact for a while, since the guards rarely talked other than with the phrases "Yes, milady", "No, milady", "I do not have the right to say, milady".
Worthless, penny-a-bunch idiots...
"Yes, Father..."

"Ara..." warned Jhavonte, noticing the sad tone of her voice, "You better not carry on with that attitude. The King has asked for you in his chambers, and I don't think he would be pleased if he heard of your... flirting in Crystalline."

"I wasn't flirting!" Ara said hotly.

Bander stiffened before hissing, "Don't talk back to me, Arbarary! We're back home now! I could beat you for talking back to me!"

"Like you would." muttered Ara before turning away, moodily silent.

Next second, Bander roughly held her as he hissed into her ear, "Ara, if you don't stop, you're going to find yourself on the noose and not a person to help you out of it. Yes, the laws of Crystalline are lax compared to ours, but that doesn't mean we must reteach you every time you come back. If this continues, you will not be allowed to go back!" He withdrew and muttered, "The Crystallines are fools. They imprison thieves when they should hang them! They release the debt-avoiders when they should be imprisoned for life!" His face grew hard and his voice darkened, "And they free their daughters when they should have beaten them, disowned them, and sold them off as slaves."

Ara stared at her father. What a mood he was in!

"Ara, you better behave." muttered Jhavonte grimly as he calmed down to an almost sober manner, "The King is expecting you, and you better go up to see him. Do not give him reason to doubt you."

Ara hesitantly stepped towards him, "Father? Are you alright?"

Bandersnatch avoided looking at her eyes as he embraced her, suddenly tearful, "I'm-I'm sorry, Ara. I've just been a bit off my nerves lately. I shouldn't have talked like that to you, especially not to you."

Ara felt his tears on her shoulder and stood still until he drew back, wiping his eyes hastily with his cuff. She ventured, "Must I go see him?"

"Yes... and he knows you're not sick. He was angry last time you tried that excuse. Now go."

"Yes... Father..."

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:01 pm

After breakfast, Mithos put on his shoes and headed out into Towne Square. As walked down the cobble stone road he was pelted with,"Hello your Majesty," or,"Good morning Prince Mithos." Mithos got tired of it extremely quickly.

Mithos finall spotted the cart he had been looking for. "Miss Trevona, a pleasure as always."

"Why hello your Maje...," she was cut off short.

"Please, you know how much I hate that. Call me Mithos, or at least Prince Mithos. Your Majesty makes me som very godish. I hate it."

"Okay your Ma.., I mean Prince Mithos. Can I get you anything, or did you just come here to see little 'ole me?"

A smile passed over Mithos,"I do actually have a reason for coming here. I need twenty red roses sent to Miss Arbarary in the Shadowlands."

"Oh!" she blushed."So you two hit it off at the Masquerade."

"Miss Trevona, I do believe you have grown quite bold." Mithos try to withhold his smile and stand up diplomattically."You might want to watch that tongue, or it could get you into trouble." Mithos didn't bother to suppress a laugh.

Miss Trevona smiled and replid," Yes Prince Mithos. And your roses should arrive there in two days."

With that, Mithos turned toward the Castle, and walked back home.
~~~~~~
While Mithos was enjoying his dinner of grilled salmon, Queen Sarah walked in with a devilish smile on. Uh-oh, this can't be good.

"Guess what? Nevermind dont' guess. I'll just tell. I started mailing invations for a ball. And, I sent a very special one to Ara.

Mithos eyes grew wide, and he began to perspire.

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Arbarary wandered the brightly lit halls of the Shadowland capitol castle, heading for her room. She had just finished talking to the King.
Oh, what a horrible encounter!

Smiling faintly, the King regarded her with dead eyes, eyes that never showed emotion, "Ah... Ara... How is my niece today?"

Ara avoided her uncle's eyes, "I am doing fine, sire."

Standing from his throne, he stepped down from the dais to her. Gently, he lifted her chin up with his rough fingertips and forced her to look at him. He cooed, "You don't seem happy. Must I execute someone for you?"

"No, sir."

"Than why are you so quiet and bashful, all of the sudden? Have you suddenly lost faith in someone? Me?" He brought up a hand to his chest, and his face grew sympathetic, but his eyes remained dead.

Shuddering, Ara mumbled, "It is not your fault, your Majesty. I have angered my father by speaking too freely."

"Ahh..." The King stroked her face tenderly, "Such honesty in one grown is very rare. A quality I admire. Only if my council were such..." He suddenly stiffened as the sound of a door opening sounded.

"Sir?"

The King unfroze and smiled grimly, his emotionless eyes gazing over her shoulder, "And, talking about the council... I do not want to see them right now."
The door behind Ara closed, and the King returned his dead black eyes to Ara, "You will have lunch with me. Come."

Ara hefted an inward sigh and followed him.

The luncheon had been fine, but those eyes never left her. They prodded into her soul, searching for any defect.
He was grooming her; she just knew it! She didn't like the feeling of someone making her something that she wasn't. And, especially that closing remark!

"You are a sensational young woman, Ara... A perfect match for my son."

Of course, followed by a smile that became nothing with those eyes!
Last edited by Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rache
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ArtFreakAngel on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Mithos walked into the store with a familiar bell ringing. He was at VanDrones. The clothing store that was know for being the best, and the most expensive. Queen Sarah sent him here the day after she had mailed the invations. She always wanted her public get-togethers to be well planned. Mithos walked up to the counter,

"Good morning, ladies. As I am sure you have already heard, we at the castle are preparing for another ball. I have come here in the hopes that we could discuss clothing ideas..., and prices."

"At the last words, all the ladies in the store perked up and put their fakest smiles on. The head lady spoke up,"Yes your Majesty. I do believe we have the perfect clothing designs for one such as yourself. We just the sketches in yesterday.

All the ladies rushed him upstairs to the sizing and fitting areas. Thirty minutes later Mithos walked down the stairs in a white shirt with a crimson overcoat. The pants were a mixture of black and red, just enough to blend in with the overcloak. The sleeves were a little too tight and short, so they would have to be altered. The head ladies then spoke up amongst the chatterings of the others,

"The alterations will be complete on Sunday, so you will have to send someone to pick up the outfit on Monday. This cloth is particularly pricy, but we think it's worth it for such quality."

"Of course you do. The money shall be fowarded into the store's account on Sunday."

With one last face of disgust, Mithos left the store to report the news to his mother.

ArtFreakAngel
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rache on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:04 pm

It was the day after they had arrived back in the Shadowlands, and, once again, the King invited Ara to a luncheon. This time, however, his eyes unnaturally sparkled, as if they'd just been sprayed with star dust. Frankly, it scared Ara.
She sat opposite of him at a large table, glaring out over the set platters and plates of delicious yet rather ill-nutritional food: cakes and wines and sweetmeats and nothing that hinted at fruits or vegetables.

The King didn't touch the food; he never did. He just watched her curiously, eyes glittering in their new odd way, "Why do you not eat, Ara? You must keep in good form."

"Could I have some apples, please, sire? Just some apples would be fine."

Face twisting into a grim frown of disgust, the King motioned for the slave girl who trembled in the corner. Slowly, the girl came up. She couldn't be older than ten. The King smirked, "Bring the Lady some... apples."
The girl bowed and hurried out of the room, nearly terrified.
Staring after her, the King muttered, "Ara? Will you bet with me on whether or not she returns within the hour? If she does, you are allowed the apple. If she doesn't, you must eat what I choose from in front of you."

"Yes, sire..."

The servant girl did return, ashen-faced as she presented a few bright shiny apple to Ara, and the King sighed in angry defeat. Putting his head on a hand, he remarked nonchalantly, "My son returns tomorrow. I wish you to be there when he returns."

Ara chewed for a moment and, swallowing, muttered, "Yes, sire."

"I also wish for you to be his escort for the day. You two must really be allowed to know each other."

Stiffening, Ara pouted, "If I may object, sir-"

"You may."

"... Doesn't the prince already know his way around... He does know me, you know, sir. We grew up together. We don't need to know each other even more."

"Than you are ready to be betrothed?"

"No!" Ara squeaked, then, realizing how disrespectful she had been, she quietly and hastily added, "I'm still under-age."

The King gazed at her, the sparkles in his eyes gone, "Oh, yes... but you are a princess. You are exempt from the law."

Ara shuddered, "If I may ask, sir, how old you were when you married?"

The King visibly was perturbed by the question, "When I was... married? Which wife?"

Bad question, obviously. Ara lowered her eyes to her lap, nibbling solemnly at her apple, "Never mind, sir. It was a stupid question."

Silence ensued for a few minutes as Ara summoned up her courage to ask another question. She glanced up with the inquiry at the tip of her tongue, then stopped and stared. The chair across from her was empty.
Suddenly, a hand holding a sharp, thin dagger clapped down on the top of her chair, and she whipped around and yelped as she met the King's gaze straight on. His smile spread as he said, "You must learn how to cut apples, dear. They are so messy when they are eaten the other way." With that stated, he leaned over, plucked the bitten apple out of her hand, and began to thorougly cut it.

Ara stared at him in disbelief. How had he moved so quietly from there, at the other end of the table, to here, right behind her? "T-t-thank you, sire."

Smile fading, he laid the slice apple onto her plate, along with the knife, and wiped his hands off of apple parts, "There is no need to thank me, Ara. I just nearly scared you to death." Smirking, he leaned on her chair and remarked calmly, "I have never seen you so... pale..."

Ara forced a laugh and felt relieved when she saw the glitter creep back into his eyes, "That is very funny, sire, but I still must thank you."

"You may thank me by being with me tomorrow when my son returns. I will not require you to spend all the day with him, but you must at least have a sentence with each other."

Ara's fake smile vanished, "Yes, sire..."

~

As soon as the King permitted her to leave, Ara hurried to her father's room to seek fatherly advice. Without knocking, she slammed open the door.

Jhavonte whirled around, sword out in an instant, an official looking envelope in his other hand. He was dressed in his breeches and nothing else, his dark skin bared for all the world to see. Seeing that it was only Ara, he sighed in relief and sheathed the sword, "Oh, good heavens, Ara! You must learn how to knock!"

"Father... Could I please pretend to be sick tomorrow? Oh, please, oh, please? The King's going to make me see his son tomorrow!"

Bander's face grew elated, "Really? That's great!"

"Father!"

Blinking, Jhavonte murmured, "You sound like you've been sentenced to be hung. What is wrong with the crown prince? He is handsome, bright, not to mention the son of the King!"

Ara shivered in dismay, "But, Father, I-"

Bandersnatch held up a hand, "No more on the prince. Here, you have a letter." He held out the envelope.

Ara immediately forgot her troubles. Rushing forward, she snatched the package from her father and quickly read the front. From Crystalline? Maybe it was from Prince Mithos! She felt an incredible hope surge through her as she ripped it open.
Something fell from the envelope: a necklace. A bright diamond pendant that hung from a sterling silver chain. The pendant twisted like a caduceus, sprouting wings near the top that glittered in the light from the candles placed throughout Jhavonte's room. She scooped it up and held it tightly as she pulled out the invitation and read it.

Seeing her face grow more and more excited and anxious, Jhavonte sighed, "What is it?"

"There's to be another ball in Crystalline!"

Immediately, Bander snatched the letter out of her hand and quickly scanned it. He sneered, "They must be daft! Another one so soon? Why?" He glanced at the necklace that Ara held protectively in her hand, "And why that? Are they trying to-" He stopped talking abruptly and then narrowed his eyes, "It is their son, the one you were flirting with!"

"Father! I wasn't flirting!" Ara squealed like a small child.

"Than he was flirting with you!" accused Bander angrily.

"No, he wasn't! We were just dancing!"

Bander reread the letter furiously, frowning, "If the King finds out you have been fraternizing with a Crystalline, than he will be most displeased."

"Do you not hear me, Father? I wasn't flirting, fraternizing, or anything like that!" Ara growled hotly.

Suddenly, Jhavonte smiled broadely and cooed dangerously, "Of course, Ara... Of course... You may go to the ball... only if the King says you may."

Ara's blood ran cold. The King? "B-b-but-"

"No buts, Ara. You must have the King's permission to attend this... dance..." He handed the letter back to his wide-eyed and dumbfounded daughter.

Arbarary stared at him, burst into tears, and fled the room.

Rache
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.