Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Mechanophage: The Nextgen Infection

Mechanophage: The Nextgen Infection

a part of “Mechanophage: The Nextgen Infection”, a fictional universe by mechanimated.

Chathair Tús Nua, the City of New Beginnings. Once upon a time, it was a haven bringing together technology and magic. Now its once-floating ruins are home to a deadly secret that has been sealed away for centuries.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Mechanophage: The Nextgen Infection”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Mechanophage: The Nextgen Infection

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Skulls.

I submitted a character but since I haven't been online much in the last few days, my creativity is at an all time low. It's still more than the Hangover 2's screenwriter but that doesn't count I guess.

And it won't let me add a character avatar.
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 am

Double post.
So, mechanimated, do slaver caravans travel through the ruins regularly?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mechanimated on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm

No. There aren't that many slave caravans out there, with most sticking to the coastal area and the northern mountain range. Some caravans do go through the Ruins, but they are inevitably killed by the phage or Scavengers.

mechanimated
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:45 am

Apologies. I have come down witha cold that has left me with a swollen throat, no voice, crap in my upper lungs and exhausted. I swear I am making a character. Hoping this clears up soon and I can get something down.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:28 pm

I will try and post tonight or tomorrow. I have a responsibility to FFoC first, but if I get that up I will aim for this thread next.

7achary
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Same with me, I just posted in my won roleplay, AOTC. So posting in this roleplay is my next responsibility.
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 am

So mechanimated, if I say he has not yet discovered his powers and leave the rest, it is fine right?

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mechanimated on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Coolio, guys. Get your posts in as soon as you can! And sorry to hear about your horrifying lung disease, Skulls. I'm no stranger to respiratory infections, so I know how much they suck.

@TFO: Clear up the power origin and I'll approve it, though I recommend some proofreading for grammar and spelling. I caught a lot of mistakes on my first read through.

mechanimated
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 am

My intro pot is almost complete. After a family affair I will post, so probably tonight. After I will post in AoC.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Posted, fools.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 am

Quick Q for Mech and 7achary before I post: Based on the earlier percentages, there are a lot of dead people on that chain. How are well (or not) are Milo and Gozer able to drag that dead weight? Professional strongmen dragging/pulling anchor chains get in the range of 600 lbs. An average healthy person would be in the range of 90 lbs (based on sled dragging). Neither example could outrace an unencumbered snail.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:35 pm

The way I imagined it was that while there are many people providing dead weight on the chain, many are still able and moving to a lesser or greater extent. And since neither of us is on the end of a chain, we both have people to either side of us, we're only moving a proportionally smaller section of the chain. I did not imagine Gozer and Milo to be the only people putting forward an effort.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mechanimated on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:24 pm

The phage, as you recall, endows those infected with it with superhuman strength. It was designed to make people stronger, faster, more intelligent, and more magically attuned. A level up. The problem lies in that humans naturally lack the docking genes necessary to assimilate with the phage without it ripping apart their DNA, meaning that unless one is born to a carrier or is medically assisted during the conversion, the phage is 100% fatal.

The Scavengers and our characters are both enhanced this way (hence the Scavenger easily ripping off a corpses arm). The way our characters are positioned, they are spread out throughout the line. Milo is near the front, with maybe fifteen in front of him. Gozer is a ways behind him, with several slaves between them. The drag on the chain at that point would be in the range of 1700 pounds, with each slave weighing an average of 80 pounds (the majority of the slaves are underfed teenagers). Together, just the two of them would be able to drag the chain at walking speed, even in their current state of health. Consider that the phage triples natural strength. Milo, being a fisherman and quite tall, can normally dead lift somewhere around 240 pounds, and drag 400. Gozer would probably fall a bit under on the dead lift and over on the drag since Milo would probably have stronger legs but Gozer has more weight to throw around.

7 is also correct that the surviving slaves (meaning the rest of you fine folks) are being encouraged to/are already helping.

mechanimated
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Mech, I am so sorry. She is coming I swear. I finally broke down and went to the doctor. I am so tired and the coughing is killing me. I have bronchitis. I started antibiotics today and should be feeling better in a day or two. Getting you a character is the top of my list.

I usually do not take this long, really....I am very sorry.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mechanimated on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 am

It's quite alright. Things happen, real life gets in the way. I hope you feel better soon! (And get a character in sooner. YOUR WELL BEING WILL ALWAYS BE SECONDARY TO LITERARY PROFICIENCY D:< )

mechanimated
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Glad I asked. At triple strength, they can break modern handcuff chain. Unless the phage suped up the durability of their flesh and bones, they'd also break their wrists in the process. Cammara's skill set can get around self injury, but the original thought there has been foiled by dead skinny teens. If they weren't so badly malnourished, calcium wouldn't have leached from their bones, making them a nonviable. She could still get her hands free, but not her feet, though if her hands are free, she's off the chain and can grab keys. I'll have to decide what shape her mind is in right now. If she's not thinking straight... I will be extremely annoyed with her. But realistically, even those with the skills to save themselves don't do it in emergency situations.

SkullsandSlippers: Ick. Bronchitis is no fun. And don't listen to Mech, he's talking like a publisher. Your health comes first. If the cough persists after the antibiotics (and it often does), honey soothes the sore throat and is a natural antimicrobial, both of which should help the cough subside. Cough drops before or during the antibiotics don't work as well because of the sugar content, which feeds the virus and bacteria. Currently I'm seeing excellent results with honey Ricola on someone with chronic inflammation and coughing. I can't claim a PhD, and I wouldn't recommend listening to advice given online, but neither would I not tell someone a tried and true solution if it could spare them a few days of misery. Good luck. Oh, and get your character in ASAP, because keeping me in suspense is cruel.

Speaking of honey, sun tea sounds like a fabulous idea. I'll be back by sunset. Need time to brood over the mental facilities of Cammara post-phage.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mechanimated on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:37 am

@ MilkHoney: Simply breaking the manacles is well within the realm of possibility, but not immediately after exposure to the phage. A slightly more in depth breakdown - the increased musculature is almost immediately evident because the phage immediately ramps up how quickly the body breaks down and processes ATP, increases oxygen absorption and circulation, and increases muscular elasticity and repair rates. This means that within minutes of exposure, one is faster, stronger, tires less easily, and feels less pain. (In case you guys don't know off the top of your heads, ATP processing is why muscles hurt.)

Bone density and marrow efficiency is increased, but takes longer because it is not a purely chemical reaction. It would be at least 5 days on a good, healthy diet to build up the necessary calcium and nutrients to strengthen the bones enough to break out of manacles without harming oneself. At least, bone-wise. Skin elasticity is increased as well, but not enough to prevent damages to the soft tissues.

Essentially, the phage immediately modifies chemical processes and steadily modifies underlying mineral attributes. For example, the adrenal response is almost instantly re-formatted to be less intense (reducing that jittery, panicked feeling and the let-down following it) and longer in duration (allowing one to focus more on the smart response rather than the panicked response). On the other hand, the lungs are adjusted to branch into many more smaller aveoli, increasing surface area and subsequently oxygen intake, but this takes several days on a good diet and up to two weeks on a poor one.

And you're right about the skill set thing. Milo, were he thinking clearly or aware of the phage, would no doubt try to take advantage of his obvious (and very sudden) superhuman strength. He'd break his hands in the process, probably, but he would at least try. Though his natural instinct to freak out is being suppressed, the situation is still pretty damn stressful.

@Skulls: Honey is an awesome idea, and so is steam! Pour some hot water in a big ol' bowl, add a few drops of eucalyptus or mint or hell, add a tea bag, cover your head with a towel and inhale the ever-loving shit out of that steam. Works wonders for a scratchy throat and gunk clogged lungs. Plus, if you use the tea bag, an entire bowl of delicious tea.

mechanimated
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Alright...she started better than she ended as I suddenly ran out of steam.

I will edit her history and anything else that needs in in the morning.

Sorry it has taken so long. Thankfully the meds have started to set in and my lungs are now trying to clear. I had more energy today but it did not last unfortunately.

Mech, pm me anything you want changed, elaborated on, etc. Also, willing to take suggestions for her power or anything else you might like to suggest.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 am

And the prize for Psychotic goes to... *drumroll* ...Monk. Wow. That's was- I've had plenty of trips that made more sense than that man's life. And may I say, if I was in my character's position, I'd feel safer around Gozer than Monk, which was flabbergasting a moment before I read that profile. TFO, you are not allowed to put Monk directly behind Cammara. If she woke up in his arms, I'd have to rewrite five pages of text, and that is soooo not happening again.

Mech, I've done an obscene amount of medical research to justify to myself that she could do this, either with or without the phage. Still, if there is a problem, PM and I'll blackout my post until it is resolved. As far as I can figure, she won't go into shock until she sees the Scavengers, at which point the phage won't allow her to follow the scenario described in her profile. Without the rabbit/deer mentality, she might not get the right thought pattern to protect her from the initial onslaught. If the post is incredibly problematic, there is an alternative, where she sits on her hands and gaily waits to die with her I-told-you-so attitude. I have it on standby.

As soon as I figure out how, there will be an option for peeps to read an abridged or unabridged version of my first post. Mostly I'm offering the option because I'm embarrassed that mine was longer than Mech's. Anyone else feel incredibly awkward when that happens?

Oh, and S&S, you are a bundle of awesome. I haven't seen it yet, but you get a virtual high five for submitting your character.

Shinen, are you still silently lurking? Hello?

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:17 am

If you go to my profile you can see her MilkHoney. I am glad I got her in but still feel she needs more. It was rough going at times, kept losing focus and I HATE that. Sorry, all. Now if you go look at her and have a suggestion or two I am all ears.

I am off to read your intro MilkHoney and looking forward to it. :)

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!