Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Medieval/Byzantine adventure?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Medieval/Byzantine adventure?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madame on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 pm

*Disclamer: when I say Byzantine I don't actually mean the european empire I just mean a similar circumstance politically.

Projected Roleplay Rating: M [violence and suggestive themes]
Projected Roleplay Level: Advanced [not for beginners]
Projected Roleplay Size: 4 - ??? [honestly the idea allows for growth is fun ways]

So general idea, which is open to suggestions, is to have an originalish medieval world where magic was a thing of the past for the most part. Similar to the GOT or ASOIF agenda, where stories are told of it but rarely is it recognized. Until a Princess is born with the gift of prophecy; who could also be instead some maid girl or peasant whose gift was recognized by the Empire in an unlucky way and is used towards their own ends. Something like that, this roleplay needs a pretty seer lady. Point is, she marks the return of magic to the realms. Something we don't necessarily want, because the time of magic is told as a time of chaos and war. Not fun. Whether magic turns out to be good or bad or both will be a theme explored, but our party's given mission by the Empire will be to stop it from returning in some way.

It's a vague idea in need of cleaning up and fine tuning, if anyone is interested or simply wants to give an idea of what to do with this it would be appreciated. Thank youuu.

Characters needed at the very least:
Princess or Empire Pet (or whathaveyou) with the gift of foresight
Guide/Survivalist who will be played by me
Any number of party members, preferably varied in circumstance

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Madame
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Medieval/Byzantine adventure?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:54 pm

The girl with foresight could have a guardian who knows the secret and wants to keep her from discovering her skills, thereby possibly preventing the disastrous return of magic to the world.

That would obviously require for the guardian to have been put in place at the time of the girl's birth or even before, and so prior knowledge of her birth and the coming of magic - which itself might point to someone else who already has some gift of prophecy, or else an ancient order that has observed the omens and consulted the scrolls since the death of the old magic, waiting for this day.

OR... such a secret sect could exist and wants to kill the girl before she brings back magic, and her guardian is part of an opposing sect that wants magic to come back. And does the first sect want to kill her to stop magic destroying the world, or to stop her rivaling their own, secret, magic?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Faith Fanon
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madame on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 pm

I like those ideas of sects that want magic back. I was also thinking that before the Empire formed in the first place that a King had magic or some sort of sources suppressed or sealed away via a sacrifice of his own daughter. Her guardian, to ramp up the drama, could be some sort of royal guard or something that is ordered to kill her when the times comes if necessary, something she would or wouldn't know depending. That sounds like a thing. I think I could work something out with that.

Madame
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ValaunDae'Voth on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:19 am

I would be all for joining up for this.
Image Image

ValaunDae'Voth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:59 am

Sounds pretty interesting so I'd also be up for making some manner of character.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madame on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:22 am

Oh my, just when I thought all interest for this was lost. I'll trudge up what I was working on and dust it off then

Hopefully I can get a couple more when it actually goes up

Madame
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ValaunDae'Voth on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Up to you lol, I thought it sounded like an awesome idea.
Biggest problem on this site is people just suddenly stop posting for no fucking reason.

ValaunDae'Voth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madame on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:33 am

You can see my progress in my beta tab if you like, note that nothing on it is final till it goes in its own tab though. See if you guys can come up with anything else or get an idea of what you want to make for a character. also don't judge me for the mess please

roleplay/the-architects-mistress

Madame
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kato on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 pm

I really like the idea of this! I'd be tempted to join - not that I join everything that tempts me or I'd be up to my eyeballs in RPs - but I'm definitely considering it. I like the idea of a small group RP in this kind of setting, and that contributions are encouraged. :D

The one thing that troubles me a little is the Seer character. If she unerringly predicts the future, then how can you make sure that the other players' characters have free will in this scenario? For example, if the Seer character predicts for example, that another character/the party is going to lose a fight, will that character HAVE to lose, otherwise it undermines the prescient power of the Seer? In that case, doesn't the Seer's player have way too much power? Would the players have to stick to what the Seer prophesied or would they be free to go against it? Would you, the GM "feed" prophesies to the Seer's player, or would the player be free to make up the predictions? Anyway I'm interested to see how you would resolve that. Seems like a challenge anyway.

I kind of have this idea that it would be fun to make a character who was anti-magical. In that, any magic powers just stop working in their vicinity (or by touch or LoS or whatever seems appropriate) so they would be really sceptical about magic, but also useful in the fight against magical creatures/people. Maybe it would only work at certain times, so as not to cramp the style of anyone using magic.
"Schopenhauer was right, wouldn't you say? Life without pain has no meaning. Gentlemen, I wish to give your lives meaning..."

Kato
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madame on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:15 pm

roleplay/byzania-hour-of-the-witch#introduction

it's up!

@Kato the player who controls the seer will be fed visions of the future by me. it's not nearly as frequent as you probably think, and more often than not it's stuff that happened in the past that she sees. stuff that has to do with people she doesn't even know sometimes, but stuff that is apparently important as is causes big things to happen. They'll have some creative license when it comes to past stuff, and certainly they can come to me if they think of a future vision that would be cool. Also the visions are not always 100% clear, so that's fun and inconvenient. We'll play with it.

I'm not keen on allowing characters to have magical attributes. Especially one like that. Since magic began waking up when the princess was born, I may allow some tricks or other depending on age, but you'd have to sell me on it with a great character sheet. I'm flexible on the issue.

Madame
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R1554 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:02 am

Is this still open? I'd definitely be interested in playing.

R1554
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!