Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Merry Meet!

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions, Arrivals, and Departures, a part of the RPG forum.

New (or returning) members post here to announce your arrival and be greeted by our wonderful community. Also, if you're going away on leave, post here and we'll say our goodbyes.

Merry Meet!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ebisu - Elvis Reborn on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:03 am

Hey there, I'm Ebisu. I learned of this place through word of mouth (or word of font, whichever you like best) and decided to give this place a try, since I like paragraph roleplay as opposed to T2 or whatever you find in chatrooms.

I am twenty-one years old. I've been playing off and on online since the year 2000(I was fourteen then). I don't really understand all these new terms and codes and rules for RP so if someone could give me a hand it'd be really appreciated.

All I understand in RP is "Oneline -- Paragraph -- Multi-paragraph" and a little something about "T1" and "T2". That is as far as my RP vocabulary goes.

Now about myself -- I've been attending college off and on ever since I was in high school(Senior Year) though this is the second year I've actually been going seriously. This fall I'm going to be taking Intro to Psychology(for my vocational coursework), Intro to Art(for my humanities class) and Math 100(the lowest math class they could put me in.) <_<

I'm working on my teaching degree, I'm going to be teaching special education and I'm going to be able to know American Sign Language.

I live by myself with my cat, Shima. I don't like going outside alot.. I need to do my laundry.. Aaand I hope I have fun while I'm here.

If you have anymore questions about me don't be afraid to PM me, okay?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ebisu - Elvis Reborn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: Merry Meet!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 pm

Welcome to RPGateway, Ebisu! I'm glad that you found your way here, I think you'll find that it really has everything you're looking for.

Don't let anyone confuse you, T1 and T2 aren't really "types" of roleplay. They're two of many systems that hope to govern online text-fighting, which may or may not have anything to do with roleplaying at all. One the note of the types of roleplay you've mentioned, you're absolutely correct. Some people here refer to one-liners as "chat style", with the thought that chat is better suited for quick, one sentence responses. There are even those here, on the other extreme of things, above and beyond even multi-para style, who enjoy "essay" style. You may just want to call them insane. ;)

Most of what you're familiar with can be called "freeform roleplay". There are no specific rules or expectations, and more particularly no dice rolling or concrete systems that govern characters and gameplay. It's my favorite way to play, personally. And if you're into other types of roleplay, we have that here too - but I'm glad to see that you're already familiar with the way it works.

The only things you really need to know are, first and foremost, how to interact with other people (and remember, it's teh INTERWEBS. Serious business.) You don't seem like you'll have any problem here, you've already made a great impression. Secondly, the difference between IC and OOC (In Character and Out Of Character, respectively). Again, I don't expect to see you having a problem with this, but you never know. Some people get way too into their characters... and take it a bit far. I'm sure you've seen people like this... >_<;

There'll be different sets of rules for every game, but if you keep those two things in mind, you're going to be just fine. You said if we have any questions about you, to just ask - well, likewise. If you ever need any help with anything here on RPGateway, we have a list of great staff that are more than willing to help you out. Questions, comments, suggestions, just let us know.

What kind of games are you into? Fantasy, futuristic...? If you give me a general idea I might be able to find you a good game to get started in. Else, you're welcome to just browse around, and immerse yourself in our community. It might be a bit overwhelming at first, but don't let it get to you. We promise we don't bite... well, I speak for myself. :lol:

Again, welcome, and I hope you have a blast!
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Welcome! I'm so glad you came to join us! I'm not as long-winded as Eric [Remaeus], but that's a good thing. :P Be sure to wander on over to the others area and engage in the games going on there such as "Name that tune" and "Movie Quotes" in addition to many more. Enjoy yourself and as he said, ask if you have any questions. I think I'm the only one that bites and even then, it isn't all that hard, so feel free to drop me or any of the other staff a line.

-April/Faith-

Oh... and I blame this on just waking up, but I thought your subject said "Merry Feet."

=]
"...la manière vraie au coeur d'un homme est de six pouces de métal entre ses nervures"

The worst part is... I would still die... for you.

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor Beta Tester Concierge Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Haruka_Tenou on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:20 pm

Hello! Welcome to RolePlayGateway! As has already been said there is plenty to do around here. We are always createing new games and just haveing a blast. You can make your own RPG if you don't see anything that intrests you or you can hop into any of the games that need characters. Look into Dreaming of Death and Lockdown at Cordova. We always need some new characters to liven things up. =) I hope to see you around the forums and should you need anything we are here to help. Once again, Welcome and have a great time!

Tonia

Haruka_Tenou
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor Concierge Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ebisu - Elvis Reborn on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:24 pm

Hooooi! Three replies already. How awesome.

Yes, I'll be sure to keep those rules in mind and I will check out the other RPs going on around here.

Thanks for welcoming me!

Ebisu - Elvis Reborn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.