Monastery: Reconnaissance

a topic in Orsa of Terminus, a part of the RPG forum.

The lull in the war has ended, and the Orsa of Terminus is on the rise once more. Will the battle hardened Patronus remain strong, or fall under the growing might of this renewed threat? A mature roleplay. This forum is one large roleplay within a set world and designated story lines.

Monastery: Reconnaissance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 am

Monastery ruins - Southwest of Wingcity
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Re: Monastery: Reconnaissance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:44 pm

(post co-written by Arrow, Tsukihana, Script, RedRaine and Tiko)

The familiar forest nearby the monastery held an aura of foreboding in its long shadows and in sounds of movement out of sight. Whilst once Scarlet would simply have teleported into the area, with the current situation, that would have been ill advised. The journey to the Monastery had been by sky - a platform of rock carrying the group around the city and skirting the likelihood of detection. Still, despite the fact that the enemy most likely didn't know they were coming, Scarlet got the feeling they were walking into something that would not be enjoyable.

The ruins loomed in the middle distance, seemingly unchanged from this angle. What lurked within was another matter altogether though. As the group made its way through the woods, Scarlet clicked her tongue impatiently. She hated scouting, it was far too tense.

Kaleena scanned the scenery cautiously. She wasn't sure why, but with the area came a feeling of dread. She didn't know whether or not it was their geographical location, or something more insidious that made her feel the way she did; either way, she didn't enjoy it.

Before long, the group neared the edge of the trees. Scarlet held a hand up to slow them. "Careful. They might be lying in wait for us, even if they didn't see us approach. They're persistent enough to have an ambush lying in wait for weeks." The headmistress scanned the area ahead, before glancing to Rose.

"Can you scout ahead with your invisibility? We'll be on call if they have a way to see through it, but we've never demonstrated that sort of thing before. They might be unprepared." It wasn't exactly a strong reassurance -- 'might be unprepared' -- but a little, or indeed a lot of, wariness wouldn't go amiss. They were up against a veritable god, after all.

"If we can't take back the Monastery now, then we'll come back with more of us. They can't have prepared for the Academy mobilising for all-out war, there are too many of us for them to have found enough evil bastards to take us on." she added, smirking.

"I can that." Rose replied, "I'll be back before you know I've gone."

And as promised, with a brief flash of light, she had vanished into thin air. With the light hitting her manipulated to refract around her instead, the illusion of total invisibility was relatively easy to create. The keenest eye focusing on the exact spot she stood might notice some abnormality in the air, but it would be excruciatingly difficult to pinpoint at the best of times. Unseen, the battlemage slipped from where the group had paused and nimbly darted
down the slight incline into the ruins.

Lucas grumbled as he awaited in the midst of the dense collection of woodland; the small group had been sneaking around for quite some time and from the look on his face Lucas was quickly growing impatient. "Why can't we just charge in magics ablazing?" He stated in relatively hushed tones.

"As you said they're probably unprepared. What we need is to get the drop on them while we've still got the element of surprise. We need to strike hard, strike fast and start things off with a bang." He continued, still saying it in such a low voice that one could have mistaken Lucas to have been talking with himself.

Van shook his head at Lucas, speaking in an equally hushed voice. “You're as daft as I recall,” he muttered under his breath. “Let's try to live to see tomorrow eh?” he added with a playful jab of his elbow into Lucas' side.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Once she was within the ruins, Rose's pace slowed. Towering monoliths loomed in the midst of broken buildings, and decapitated columns. There was more rubble to trip over than there were structures to climb, it seemed. All was quiet, though, at least to begin with.

As Rose crept further into the ruins, towards the monastery building that was visible to the far side, her eyes fell upon what they had expected. The ruins were occupied. Hulking black shapes lurked restlessly, dozens of glowing red eyes darting every which way. It was obvious that whoever had placed them there knew what they were doing -- though the beasts didn't look smart, they were stationed such that almost every point of approach to the monastery itself was covered by a guard who could look in far too many directions at once for sneaking past them to be a possibility.

Rose, however, didn't have the problem of being seen. She silently slipped past the oversized guards, closing in on the monastery itself.

And then froze. The unmistakeable sound of metal sliding against metal reached her ears and she turned with a start towards what she thought would be a blade being drawn on her. Thankfully, it wasn't. But it wasn't a whole lot better.

With the purposeful stride of someone who was searching for something, a hooded dark elf was emerging from the direction that Rose had come, daggers sliding against one another in what could only be anticipation. The battlemage hardly dared to breathe.

Luriel's stride brought her to within feet of Rose's frozen form, turning her head from side to side and glancing down at what Rose realised with a mental curse were her tracks. An amateur mistake. With excrutiating precision and silence, Rose triggered the enchantment on her boots. Finally daring to take a step, Rose climbed into the air with the wind-walking spell just moments before the dark elf reached the spot she had been standing in.

She landed with as much care as possible on a nearby rock, watching as the assassin glared at where the trail went dead, before turning with a sweep of her cape to walk back the way she came.

Rose was about to move on, when a second figure appeared over the ruins in the same direction. His large and glorious white wings were the first thing that Rose noticed as he landed gracefully on the top of a half-crumbled roof to look down at the assassin.

Luriel shook her head to him as she walked away, eliciting a scowl upon the blonde man's beautiful features. Aurion's soulless eyes swept across the area before he too turned away. Rose desperately wanted to turn and flee right now, but she still had a job to do. Now making her way from stone to stone, to avoid leaving footsteps in the dirt path, she proceeded to the edge of the ruins. The stretch of clear ground to the monastery was in plain view now, and Rose gulped.

Dozens upon dozens of twisted black shapes gathered hungrily around the building: humanoid, arachnid, winged, insectoid and forms that were so unnatural as to be unidentifiable as anything familiar. Scarlet had been right to be cautious. It seemed like the Sealed One had started to build an army.

That wasn't a good sign.

With a grimace, Rose turned where she stood and started to make her hasty way back towards the others, to give them the bad news.
Image Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 am

(Post co-written by Script and Ylanne)

Amira Qahtani had spent the last half hour or so meandering through the woods in the general direction of where she knew the monastery stood. The ruins came into view almost suddenly as she stepped from a copse of trees onto the monastery path, looking up at the old stone buildings now fallen into disrepair. Long grass grew through cracks in the stones, and a few errant insects scampered across the path, oblivious to Amira's footfalls.

She narrowed her eyes, shielding them with a hand. That's when she caught sight of the distorted figures hovering about the building. About twenty meters away, Amira stopped short, drawing closer to a tree. She did not see anyone close by, but reaching out with her mind, she sensed several presences. Perhaps Orsa, perhaps Patronus, and perhaps hikers who had gotten lost. But the twisted djinn -- for she could think of no better word to describe them -- did not bode well.

A deep frown etched onto Amira's face. She stood, half-hidden behind a tall maple, dressed in a black salwar kameez, a knee-length tunic with embroidery about the hems and loose-fitting pants, allowing for maximum freedom of movement. Amira watched the creatures with undisguised concern, her brows furrowed, her fingers scratching at her chin for a moment before adjusting her hijab out of habit.

She was beginning to think this was a bad idea.

It was with careful footsteps that Rose emerged from the depths of the ruins, slipping once again past the hulking guards that lined the pathways and corners of the rubble. The blonde girl remained invisible, and made care to wipe her tracks away with magic as she made them. She didn't want that assassin tracking her back to the others, after all.

She was almost within sight of them, when she froze. Her eyes narrowed upon a form almost obscured by a tree on the edge of the ruins, with clear sight to the Monastery at the foot of the hill the forest on that side rose upon. The figure's body language suggested that it was looking for something, considering something.

Someone, or something, knew they were here. And she doubted it was one of Scarlet's allies.

In silence, Rose slipped forwards. She crossed the road with care, making her way towards the treeline where the figure stood. Whoever this woman - her gender identifiable closer up - was, she was certain that Scarlet would want to know about her. Her invisibility hiding her entirely until she had closed the distance completely, Rose levelled her scepter at Amira's throat, the blade only inches away, and dropped the illusion.

To Amira, it would seem that the blonde young woman had appeared out of nowhere, a glowing bladed sceptre held at her throat. Her brow was furrowed and her eyes set suspiciously, and she spoke in hushed but forceful tones. "Don't scream. If you're a bystander, you'll draw the demons. If you're an enemy, I'll cut your throat out. Put your hands on your head and turn around."

Amira had sensed Rose's presence moments before she revealed herself, but too late to do anything about the weapon leveled at her throat. Her eyes flicked in the direction of the glowing scepter, able to sense the woman standing behind her, and she reached out with her mind, sensing suspicion and perhaps a bit of fear. Well, if what she had heard from Ayasha was true, it would make sense that any of the surviving Patronus would be on the run, terrified and hunted. She lifted her hands to her head, interlacing her fingers, while reaching automatically with her mind to calm Rose's nerves. This was, after all, her specialty -- affecting the minds of others.

Amira turned, her movements fluid, languid, allowing Rose to see that she was not reaching for a weapon. Her face drew into a neutral expression, her lips straightening into a line and her eyes blinking slowly toward the other woman. "The weapon isn't necessary," she said softly, her voice imbuing a tranquility that would otherwise have seemed perfectly in place with the monastery nearby.

Rose found herself relaxing slightly despite the situation, and the hand that held her scepter lost some of its tension. As Amira turned, Rose flicked the weapon slightly, and a rope of light appeared, binding the woman's wrists together. "Just a temporary measure." she muttered, "You don't look like a threat, but neither do I. I'm taking you to the rest of my group."

Without another word, Rose turned and started walking. The light ropes would tug at Amira's hands if she didn't follow, but otherwise would leave her free to walk. "Who are you?" Rose asked over her shoulder without turning back. It was only a short walk to the others, but she figured that she should establish at least a little before they got there.

Amira flinched for a moment, a hint of surprise flickering on her face before disappearing. She followed after Rose, her steps falling now more softly on the shrubbery and small grasses along the path. "My name is Amira Qahtani," she said, still attempting to calm Rose psionically. She sensed the woman was still on edge in some way. Possibly because the demon-creatures had attacked the Patronus, or were willing to do so. "I was sent by Ayasha Ziedins."

"I don't recall the name," Rose replied, further relaxing as Amira's psionics worked. Her tone was less direct, now, more conversational. "If you're here about the Patronus, you need to talk to Scarlet. The rest of us are new to this. My name is Rose." The girl glanced behind her at the older woman, her eyes betraying curiosity. "Why did this Ayasha send you? What do you know?"

"Ayasha is a friend," Amira answered, watching her step as she made her way carefully over the not quite flat and easy terrain. "She was -- is -- a Patronus Guardian. She asked me to look for Sylvire. I do not know the name of Scarlet." Her gaze slid up for a moment to watch an owl flying above the canopy formed by the deciduous trees of the forested area around the monastery, before returning the younger woman. "I know that I have been asked to aid the Patronus in any way I can against the Orsa."

Rose returned her attention to the route ahead as Amira spoke. She could see the rest of the group of mages now, hidden amongst the trees ahead. Eyes were drawn to the approaching pair as they disturbed the brush on their way past, and recognition exchanged. "Scarlet has mentioned the name Sylvire. She'll be able to tell you more, if she chooses to."

Glancing back in the direction of the Monastery, Rose shook her head. "This used to be their base, as I'm guessing you know. They were all attacked a few weeks ago. We're looking for them."

Amira eyed the ropes of light around her wrists, admiring the nifty bit of magic for a moment. She had never been particularly skilled in most of the magical arts. But that was the price she paid for the gifts she did have. She sent soothing energies toward Rose in an attempt to mollify any remaining anxieties the other woman might have had. "Yes, Ayasha told me this. She did not know who else might have survived. They had -- they had attacked her while she was at her parents' house on Christmas Day." She closed her eyes momentarily before opening them again. Although Amira did not observe Christmas, she did understand the devastation that Ayasha and the others must have felt, being targeted on that day.

Rose's eyes dropped slightly, and her mood darkened. "The Academy Scarlet is the headmistress of was attacked on Christmas night. People died, teachers, students. They brought a blasted army of machines and demons. It's an academy of magic, and so there were defenses in place, but the Academy was still lost. It's a wonder - and a credit to Scarlet, and to Silviana: the headmistress of the neighbouring academy - that so few people died."

The girl shook her head. "That's why I'm here. I heard about the attack on the news, I used to study at Everia - you've probably heard of it, and Celestia, if you know anything about magic. They're to the East of Wing City, on the edge of a lake."

"I've never had the opportunity to visit, but yes, I know of the schools," said Amira, inclining her head. This time, when she reached with her mind to touch Rose, she offered comfort. What else was there to say, to do when someone was the victim of so much loss? She knew all too well that that kind of loss went deeper than words could penetrate. "I don't think Ayasha knows everything," said Amira, speaking again. "She was able to tell me that others were attacked, but little else. I don't know what I am doing, Rose. I don't know what I can do. I'm hoping you and those with you can help me with that."

"Here's hoping, then." Rose said simply as they approached the main group. "Scarlet will want to talk to you either here or back at Everia. Hopefully you'll be able to sort everything out."

Rose lifted her hand in greeting to the others, then. "The place is filled with demons. To the brim. More than we can take, for certain. Other Orsa, as well, more humanoid and probably willing servants. No sign of the Patronus, apart from who I have here," The girl looked back at Amira. "This is Amira, she says she's a friend of a Patronus called Ayasha. I don't know if you know her, Scarlet, but she knows about Sylvire and as far as I can tell isn't a demon with a mask on."

Amira's gaze swept over the others, immediately beginning to memorize information about their appearances and noting small details about the ways they moved or looked toward Rose and herself. Special agent training was hard to forget, hard to shake. She maintained a neutral expression, although it slipped for a moment in favor of concern. Ayasha had been able to share very little information with her. Amira had been thrust into a situation replete with unknowns. "No," she said, addressing the one called Scarlet in a soft voice, "I don't believe we have met."

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:09 pm

(Post co-written by Tiko, Arrow, Ylanne, Script and RedRaine)

It was Van who spoke up first as Rose presented the stranger to the group. "Jeeze. You couldn't wait for the rest of us before you started taking prisoners eh?" he asked with a huff. Though his demeanor remained light and good-natured, lacking any serious weight to his words.

Scarlet raised an eyebrow, giving Amira a look up and down. "Ayasha? I vaguely recognise the name, but I don't think I ever met its owner, and I've really no idea of the context that it was mentioned in." she noted. The woman looked average enough, but that was no guarantee of anything around these parts.

"You can come with us, but don't expect to be let in on any plans or left unwatched until we can verify everything you tell us. Are you willing to allow one of our diviners to read you whilst we question you?"

Amira nodded without changing expression. She had spent her career working in law enforcement with the occasional dash of espionage. She wouldn't have expected anything less; if they didn't take these kinds of security measures, they would be foolish. Verifying her story would only be the first step. Ayasha had certainly put her in a difficult position. It seemed Amira would be stuck with these people for a very long time.

"You may do that," she said quietly. "I will try not to interfere." After all, Amira was a psychic.

Scarlet nodded, and then turned her attention to Rose. "Filled with demons... then it's worse than I thought. Either they're holed up inside the Library, or ..." The headmistress didn't finish that sentence. "We'll come back when we've investigated the other sites, in force. The Orsa can't be allowed to hold this ground. If we break through, we might be able to make contact with the others."

Looking between the other members of the group, Scarlet nodded. "Let's go, then. Oh, and Rose, you can release the bindings. I don't anticipate any trouble from this one."

Inclining her head respectfully, Rose briefly waved her hand, and the bindings around Amira's wrists disappeared. "Sounds like a plan to me." she affirmed.

Lucas' ears practically perked as Scarlet made her declaration to, for all intents and purposes, retreat. He had been keeping mostly silent since they arrived and was currently leaning against a tree, teeth clenched tightly. From the looks of his stiff posture and irritated face it was evident he was clearly irritated about the situation.

"I don't like this." He grumbled in a low voice more aimed towards Van, but just loud enough for another group mate to hear.

Rose raised her eyebrow, "I don't know about you, but I prefer this to 'being horrifically murdered'. Of the two options, there's just something about the second one that seems a bit off. Can't quite put my finger on it..."

Giving Lucas a dry glance, Scarlet shook her head. "And what would you have us do, Lucas? There are not enough of us to put up even a decent fight. We will return with soldiers from Everia, but for now, we have to make sure that there aren't any stragglers that need saving."

Van gave a light snort before seconding Scarlet's decision. “She's right Lucas, there will be plenty enough time later for your well-meaning valorous exploits,” he said with a lopsided smirk.

Lucas just kicked the ground, scattering dust and and dirt in a tiny cloud near his feet. His arms crossed as he closed his eyes, his irritated face not losing the valor that would undoubtedly get him killed one day.

"Yeah yeah," he grumbled, "but just cause I know we can't doesn't mean I have to like it." Kicking himself off the tree he was leaning on, he pocketed his hands. "It's like.. We know where the final boss is but we just can't touch him.." He paused. "It's frustrating."

Amira glanced down at her wrists again, as the ropes of light disappeared. She looked about at the others, listening closely to their conversation with a look of mild interest as she folded one hand over the other. Amira did not speak. Not yet. After all, she had little to say.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:00 pm

(Post co-written by Arrow, Ylanne, Tiko and Script)

As the group walked away from the ruins and the creatures within, Scarlet gave instructions to the rest of the group. "Van, Rose - you take Amira back to the Academy and have a diviner make sure she is telling the truth. She is free to stay so long as she is, and I will speak with her more thoroughly once I return. The rest of us are going on to the temple, then to the farmhouse. We'll probably stop off back at the Academy to collect you before we travel to the latter, however."

The headmistress smiled, "Any questions?"

Amira looked toward Rose and the one identified as Van, offering a small nod of acknowledgement. She bore an impassive expression, one she often adopted when faced with uncontrollable circumstances.

Van gave a decisive shake of his head in reply to Scarlet's inquiry. “We can handle it. Be careful,” he said before nodding his head back the way they had come. “Come on, we best hurry,” he offered to Rose and Amira. After all, this close to the monastery, standing around out in the open talking like this was just asking for trouble.

Rose nodded, and with one final smile back at Scarlet, turned to set off. "Let's go then. We have a long walk ahead of us."

Amira nodded again. "Will we reach the Academy before nightfall?" she asked, glancing up at the skies over the monastery. The quiet here had been disturbed, and Amira felt a sudden sense of loss that she would never quite be able to recover the stillness that had so enveloped the place before her -- their -- arrivals.

"Almost certainly," Rose replied, "We'll be back before the rest of them finish their investigating, even though they get to fly. Once we get back to Wing City I can call for a friend to drive us the rest of the way."

After confirmation from Van, Rose nodded her head towards the path to indicate that they should move. The group set off at a purposeful walk - lingering close to the demon-infested monastery was far from high on their agenda.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!