Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Namez. They have a meaning.

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Namez. They have a meaning.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey all! DreamingForever here with a question I've been thinking about for a while and recently talked to Sho about in the chat room. I’m sure this has been done before but let’s consider this a redo of sorts for newer members, yes?

Why did we choose our usernames? What is the reason behind someone’s name? I’ve always wondered… I’ll start by explaining why I picked DreamingForever. To be honest, I picked it because I thought it sounded mysterious and unique… And then I started to realize I sounded like a sop. XD Buuuut I love it, so whatever.

SO! Your job here is to explain why you picked the username you did. Did you do it because it sounded cool or because your great grandmother had called you that as a child? I’ve no idea.

Just post below and tell me why, yo! (… Did that rhyme? O.o)

~DreamingForever
The name seems rather ironic if I’m an insomniac, doesn’t it? :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DreamingForever
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Namez. They have a meaning.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LoveliiMonsta on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Lmao, my name was quite spontaneous because I wanted something kind of cute and like a rawrr-ness. I used to have it as Rawrrmonsta, but people used rawr alot now and it means "I love you" in Dinosaur... BUT IT DOESNT. So I came up with Loveliimonsta. The two i's because when I used to play WoW, that was my signature in every name(:.

But now I used Loveliimonsta for like every site I got to lol. :)<3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LoveliiMonsta
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Eh I had NFI_2616 a Yahoo ID I used for scifi for awhile. Short for Nostalgia for Infinity.
Izoi is random and possesses no connotations or specific meaning.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shō on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Well. Let's start with my old name: Tigre. I basically got the name from a few of my friends, because I came to school with tiger stripes in my hair. They originally wanted to call me 'Tiger' but that seemed too ordinary, so they changed it to the Spanish/French word.

I got the name Cosmo from watching too much Fairly Oddparents and from um.....Katamari Damacy? (The Prince of All Cosmos anyone?)

I got the name ~iJµÞ¡†€R!~ from Nanophreak, since he taught me how to use alt characters, and I searched for a name that seemed cool in alt characters, which, happened to be Jupiter, the Roman God of Something.

Shohetsu, is my birth name. I picked it because.....well, almost everyone on the site knows my name, and my name fits as a perfect username because it's Japanese. =D Japanese oriented usernames are in now right? I also had this name under ShohetsuSD, back when I first joined. The SD meaning San Diego.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I got my PSN handle from my favorite cartoon character of all time, PaRappa the Rapper, who is a rapping dog.
ImageI am a Mac, son. Recognize.

Shō
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pantalimon on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Let's see...pantalimon. I've used this for forever, and it's always been just this one name, and just this one spelling. I read Phillip Pullman's series His Dark Materials when I was still in elementary school, and ever since I have been obsessed. Though it was 'Pantalaimon' in his books, I didn't know that when I started to join online communities, and sadly, it's been something I have gotten attached to. I will forever be known as a typo. :'/
Too bad love is just a game.
But, I've had too much fun playing to quit now.
Maybe I'm addicted.
I don't think I care.
My tokens are all across the board...
And I'm winning.
>The Loveless Victor<

pantalimon
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kagerou on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 pm

My username..I hate it so much. But, BloodIce17 came from a book I wanted to write (but never finished) and my favourite number. I'd change it to Blood, but that might be taken....
Hey, that's a post!

Kagerou
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:58 pm

My username is... Music.

...because I love music.

And it shall be 'Music' forevermore, until death doth me and my music part.

Music
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tomabird on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 am

Hmmmm...this is a good one. Let's see. Well, tomabird originally came from tomahawk, but as Ireally just wanted to mess up a name back then, it turned into this xD. I've got another commonly used user name which is Windrell. That's my pen name. The latter has a bit of history to it, so I'd rather leave the explanation at that :)).

tomabird
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 am

I used to go by the screen name of Ben Kitsune (or Benjamin T. Kitsune) because my name really is Ben and I used to be a huge Sonic fan (and modeled my character after Tails).

However, as I grew, I got out of the fandom (well before the "furry fandom" ever hit, mind you) and I simply chose Drake Nightwing because I thought it sounded rather badass. I was actually getting into Harry Potter roleplays at the time and I wanted my main character to have a rather powerful sounding name. I liked what I came up with and decided to use it a screen name. Been my primary one since. :D

Alternatively, I'll use Tekno Lahjik as a secondary screen name if need be...and I thought that up merely 'cuz I liked the pun it made (say the name "Tekno Lahjik" fast, you'll get it).

Drake Nightwing
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeris Strife on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am

Well.. Aeris Strife... That's my FFVII fangirl side coming out there. I think the name Aeris is nice, and Strife is a cool last name.

I also use these names elsewhere:

Nyxelestia
Midnight-Rain
and finally, Seryxel.

I also would love to be called Paralyzer. It makes you seem all snaky and jack-shiz like that.
Hey bitch, I don't care if it kills me
and I don't give a damn if it hurts
I'm going to live for the fun of it
Because this is my stinkin' life, not yours

Aeris Strife
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lashun on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Lashun is my old old old username and is also my middle name. A long time ago, I wanted to switch my first and middle name 'cause it sounded so Japanese and unique to me =D and the spelling is awesome.

Then one day, I went to a site and my username, Lashun, was taken and it didn't feel so unique to me anymore..

I was going to make another account when I came back to RPGateway using the username I use now, Masxira, which is a mix of KH2 fan-girling and an appreciation for my first name. (if you can figure out my first name, you get a big cookie)

Lashun
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby minamimoto on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 pm

I chose minamimoto because it is the last name of my favorite chracter out of a videogame,The World Ends With You(Really Awesome game,Btw).I also chose it because I was getting tired of the name I use on every other site,OrbisXaxis(It comes from a book,awesome if you know which series.).
Last edited by minamimoto on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word."
-Al Capone

minamimoto
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epicurean on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Epicurean is from a website my friend Claire and I made. Epicurean means "to have a good taste in food" so we combined Epicurean with Psychopath and made it a crazy cannibal ;D That's were Epicurean comes from.

Epicurean
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 pm

I took it from the Greek titan. Why? At the time I thought it sounded cool.

I also masquerade under the names Hyperion and von_Harsdorff. Hyperion is another Greek titan. Harsdorff is a locality in Germany and one of my middle names.

Kronos
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Kronos: Ah, so that's where that recommendation for my Trainer's last name came from.

Anyway, strap in, boys and girls, it's going to be a while. I first started visiting the Internet by taking another guy's place on Yahoo Euchre. Despite that card game being the unofficial state pastime of Michiganders, I had no idea how to read opponents, and still don't. I distinctly remember someone telling me something along the lines of, "If we win this game, I will praise you as the greatest unorthodox player ever." (I don't recall how the game ended.)

Eventually, I got reprimanded and told to make my own account instead of tanking some other guy's ranking...so I did. Since the Quiz Bowl team I was on had had a very good season (we had a MONSTER run on the second day of the double-elimination state tournament to finish fourth overall), I began concocting the name you see today: QB for Quiz Bowl, Superstar because I fancied myself rather skilled, and 03 because 2003 was the year of my high school graduation. I've been known by other handles around the Internet, most notably "igotrhythm" on Flash Flash Revolution's boards (which is how I found you guys <3), but this is the one I used first and find myself using most often.

Despite the name in its current form fitting most people's criteria for a classic "newbie" name (no capital letters and ending in numbers), I think this is a classic case of actions speaking louder than anything else.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Buddywazzizname on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 pm

'Buddy what's his name'; Canadian slang spoken quickly as one word to refer to a male the speaker doesn't know.

"Hey! check out Buddywazzizname over there!"

I was running flat on ideas for a clever username, rolled that instead.

...Yeah.

Buddywazzizname
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaywardDreamer on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Well, I've always been fascinated with dreams and the psychology of dreaming. Also, I love Sandman.

For a long time, The Dreamer was a very common username for me on forums. Trouble was, I often competed with people for it, and my backup username was Wayward.

Except for a select few cases where I kept an older username out of nostalgia/to not confuse people.

Anyway, eventually I just slapped the two together. Recent development.
There's foxes in the hen house, and cows out in the corn
All the unions have been busted
Their proud red banners torn
To listen to the radio you'd think that all was well
But me and you and Cisco know
It's going right to hell

WaywardDreamer
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kagerou on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Seryxel.

Strife. Get your name changed to that. :D

Kagerou
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for telling me you guys! I love hearing all about your names :D

DreamingForever
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeris Strife on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Really? You think I should rock Seryxel rather than Aeris Strife?

Aeris Strife
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!