Need a mentor for character design/world building/RP design?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!
Wow. That's exactly the character limit.

As part of the new RPG initiative to create dedicated help and advice request threads, I'm submitting my own time and expertise to address any and all requests for help for character design, world building, and roleplaying.

I am not an expert on plot. I can outline what's necessary in an RP setting to start plot arcs and to provide information necessary for players of initiative to pursue plot as they see fit. I am an experienced roleplayer but not a great writer.

If you have any questions, specific to an RP or in general, pertaining to my areas of expertise, feel free to post below or PM me. I log in several times a day, so you should have some sort of response that afternoon or evening. PMing me is easier, just so that all help requests are separate, but if you post below anyone else visiting the thread can offer their own insight or opinion, and more heads are always better than one.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Need a mentor for character design/world building/RP des

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FizzGig on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 am

May and I have been writing for a little while now, and I can attest to his talent and skill in these areas. On top of all of that, he's really easy to work with and a lot of fun to write with. If you have any questions you'd really benefit from seeking him out for assistance.

Just thought I'd put in my two-cents. :)

Fizz
Writing is a socially acceptable form of Multiple-Personality-Disorder--C.S.Lewis

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FizzGig
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Re: Need a mentor for character design/world building/RP des

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFE Wolf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:59 am

Okay, maybe you can help me? I'm not new to the act of roleplaying, but this whole site is a new experience for me and I'm not quite understanding everything. I checked out the OOC's to get an idea of what some of the RP's were about and I noticed a lot of people reserving FC's? What exactly does that mean? And does every RP on here require one? I ask because I want to join some but I'm worried I'm asking to join one and then submitting a character that isn't filled out correctly. Thanks in advance.
Did you know, Shinigami love red apples?

TFE Wolf
Member for 3 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

1: FCs, or "Face Claims," are pictures used to represent characters. Some writers find it easier or more effective to provide a picture of an actor, anime character, or random person in place of or in addition to a written description of their character's appearance.

1.5: It is by no means required by the website at large. It's a popular development within the roleplaying community, here and otherwise. While I do not personally support its use or the philosophy behind most of its applications, it is the decision of the GM (Game Master; owner of an RP) what is and is not required to join. If an RP mandates a FC be included in your character, it is by that roleplay's owner's discretion. If it is something you do not wish to do, you are free to look for other RPs.

2: This thread is dedicated to helping new members that are looking for help specifically with character, world, and roleplay development, it's not really a general help thread. I'm glad I could be of service, but it would be easier and more appropriate to communicate by private message. I addressed the important parts that the entirety of the community should know, but as far as website navigation and the process of joining roleplays, it would be much easier to use PMs. It is also possible to ask for help in the general chat.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!