Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Need a mentor? Request one here!

a topic in Role Play Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Having trouble understanding how roleplay works? Jump in here and ask for some help, you'll have a personal guide to help you out in various places as you play around the site.

Need a mentor? Request one here!

Tips: 10.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Welcome to the Roleplay Academy!

One of the primary reasons people come to this section of the site is because they’re seeking help with certain aspects of writing or Game Mastering, and everyone has a slightly different set of things they’d like to learn or improve upon. While RPG used to have a staff group specifically dedicated to mentoring other users, this is no longer the case, and so it can sometimes be difficult to locate the assistance you’re looking for.

This thread is an attempt to centralize such requests, for two reasons: firstly, to make sure they’re where they ought to be, which is here in the RPA, rather than, say, the Help forum, which is for questions of a more technical nature. Secondly, gathering the requests into one place will allow those of us who have the time and ability to mentor to see all the active requests at once, which should facilitate exchanges between potential mentors and mentees.

How to use this thread:

If you are seeking a mentor, please reply to this thread with the following items of information:

• It’s not mandatory, but do feel free to introduce yourself, and explain anything you think important, relevant, or useful about your writing or roleplaying history.
  • What, specifically, are you looking for help on? The more you know about what you’d like help with, the more certain someone else can be about whether or not they’re a good fit to mentor you. “I need help developing character backstory” is much easier to get started with than “I need a mentor” in the general sense, but if you feel like you’d want assistance with multiple aspects of RP, please say so!

If you’d like to be someone’s mentor, by all means, peruse the thread and PM or reply to someone. If you’d like to start a “mentoring thread” of some kind, please contact Kurokiku with a link, which will then be added to the list of helpful threads of that kind, found here.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 10.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge

Re: Need a mentor? Request one here!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 pm

So if someone wants to help a very critical, cynical, but dedicated writer and RPer (yes, there's a distinction), I'm as willing to give criticism as accept it. I already have a request thread here for anyone interested in my help. Anyone interested in giving help can consider this an open invitation as well.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby icewolftetsagia on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Hii! I'm icewolf (idk if my real name is necessary). I like interesting people. I want some action in my RP. When I RP on Chatango, (I know, noob website) everyone I RP with always leaves and doesn't talk to me anymore. I don't know if it went rancid and boring, or its me, or someone else. What I'm really trying to ask is, how do I keep somebody hooked and wanting a lot more of my RPs?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

icewolftetsagia
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Puffpie on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 pm

My name's Puffpie. I was wondering, how do you improve your role playing style?

Puffpie
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bolin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:16 pm

HI my names Billy, I'm new to this kind of RPing although i have played a number of RPG's in the past. Anyone who can help me build on my basic characters and build upon my RP skills there help would be greatly appreciated.

Bolin
Member for 3 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby benjamin1999 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:23 am

Hi my name is ben and i need help developing my own character instead of ripping off a show i also need to help finding out how tombetter explain what I'm doing in less words

benjamin1999
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SachiMochi on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I am sorta a beginner at this since I have only casually roleplayed in the past, but never had done roleplays like this before xD
I have a few questions:
Can you reuse charries?
Do you have to use certain charries in some roleplays?

Please answer and thanks ^^
Last edited by Maestro on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Questions have been addressed. ~ Maestro

SachiMochi
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FullMetalBoy on Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:03 pm

SachiMochi wrote:I am sorta a beginner at this since I have only casually roleplayed in the past, but never had done roleplays like this before xD
I have a few questions:
Can you reuse charries?
Do you have to use certain charries in some roleplays?

Please answer and thanks ^^

Questions have been addressed. ~ Maestro

The number one rule for writing is simple: recycling.

Your character is never done until it becomes usesless, and different roleplays may cause you to use different characters. That's why you make many of them and mold them to fit as many different scenarios as possible.

Say you make a character named Bob. You really love Bob. But the main roleplay for Bob dies, and he fit so perfectly well in that universe. That's when you make the needed changes to Bob and use him elsewhere.

FullMetalBoy
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Wed May 04, 2016 8:53 am

Hi! I'd love to become a mentor. To answer a few questions:

icewolf:
Hi there. Oh, no, I first started on a chat site too. Haha, I had no idea what I was doing, but I picked it up quickly. It all depends on your type of roleplays and the quality of your posts I suppose. Do you put a lot of thought into it? Do you proofread before you send it? These things might seem small, but can irritate people who are serious about roleplaying. If you'd like, pm me, and I can try to help you.

Puffpie:
Hello Puffpie! Well, there's a few ways to improve your roleplaying style. Details, details details. Details are crucial. Think of it as an artist's final touch ups. Then after your done, proofread. But, don't just proofread for spelling/grammer. Proofread it like your reading a book/short story, etc. Does everything make sense? Should there be more detail? Maybe too much?

Billy:
Sure! I'd be happy to help you build on your basic characters and roleplaying skills. A good way to get help with the first bit is to look at some of these 'oldies' and check out their character skeleton. They'll usually use things you can really get to know the character more in depth. Feel free to pm me for any help.

Ben:
Heyo Ben! I understand how hard it can be sometimes to not rip off a show or something you've seen. My main character is based on Lily Potter. She was just such an inspiration to me, and I loved it when she called James Potter a toe rag for picking on Snape. But I've developed some other characters. One idea I like to use is anime pictures for looks. I'm not saying find one and copy it exactly. Just as a base to go by, like an artist might use a picture to base something of. Or, you could use real pictures.

Then, go into the details. Is this character short? Tall? In the middle somewhere? Do they have a physical handicap? Or perhaps a mental one? What kind of personality do you think your character should have? Do they wear contacts or glasses? You get the point - as I suggested to Puffpie, details help.

SachiMochi:
Of course you can reuse characters! However, you'll probably have to tailor your bio of them for each roleplay, unless say, it's the same roleplay style. I'm happy to help.
Lily Dawn Evans:
My Character Profiles: WIP
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/work-pro ... 23818.html

Lily Evans
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Victoria Cross on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:58 am

Hey I'm Vic. Been doing this for ages but have always struggled with movie a plot along or fully developing a plot. I start out gungho and with a decent premise then just. Pfffffffft. It dies. I have no idea how to move it along without autoing my partner's character(s).

Victoria Cross
Member for 3 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Emmyz on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello there!

Hope everyone is fine! Im brand new to this site and would love to get some help from someone experienced. First of all, english is my 3:d language so my writing might be a bit bad.. And not to mention my spelling since i dont have "auto-correct" ;)

I have been roleplaying a lot (many years) but in my native language, so this is so weird for me! Second, im very bad with computers and websites, so i cant really navigate and find my way on this site... like.... how do i create a character? :s Gaah my brain is just in chaos.

So im just looking for some first friends / mentors who can help me get started and explain the basics.

Extremely grateful / Emmyz
Image"Our human hearts forget how strong they are, and they get lost along the way.."
.:Birdy - Wild Horses:.

Friendly greetings / Emmyz

Emmyz
Member for 4 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bjzuels on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi, I am new to this site and really to online role playing in general, although I have role playing experience in other gaming. Could someone walk me through how to get started here. I am at step one, so I would be looking at the basics from character creation up to finding a place to role play at.

bjzuels
Member for 3 years
Author Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Sent you a PM, bjzuels.

Generally speaking, if people could make a note of it when they pick up a request or their request is answered, that would be great, and help us keep track of which requests still need to be answered.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tddkill on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:53 pm

So, I never RP'ied seriously and now, I want to.
I decided I wanted some kind of hobby to do at night, since I usually don't sleep right away.
Yet, I wanted to develop my grammar and writing skills, since they are really poor to my taste. Usually the syntax part. I'm Brazilian you see and because of that it's a bit hard for me to get used to a different syntax.

Tddkill
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PsychoCutie on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Hey, I'm Luna, and even though I've been doing it for a while I haven't really learned much. I'm still really new to rp, and I'd love to learn more about pretty much everything on the subject.

PsychoCutie
Member for 3 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Luna,

Although I am only a simple Moderator, please feel free to take a look at the Library. There is a wealth of knowledge and helpful guides there! I found this topic recently very interesting!

Thanks.

~M
“We all die someday, but as long as someone keeps a person's wishes alive, they won't really die.”

Maestro
Contributor
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SamanthaKeeler on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:15 am

Hello there! I'm new around~

As I said in my introduction post back in the welcome section, I was once in a tabletop RPG and made a kobold. It was fun because I could hiss and do stuff but I'd need help translating such things to a written post. In short, what I'd need help with is, how do I keep a character interesting? Also, how do I roleplay as 'different' kinds of characters such as these (refering to self in third person, etc.) without feeling annoying or way off?

Plus, I was trying to search for roleplay using tags but I failed miserably. Let's say I'm looking for a specific theme such as The Elder Scrolls. I found a one on the first page so I know there are at least a few, how do I find others? In short, I think I need help figuring out parts of the site too. Oh, I think this is my 3rd post so I may not be able to answer a PM, though I'll try to work towards the right number as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

SamanthaKeeler
Member for 2 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Laike on Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am

How can I make the rules in making a Roleplay here?

Laike
Member for 2 years
Promethean Author World Builder Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat May 06, 2017 11:40 am

Hey Laike,

So during the roleplay creation process, you'll see the Create A New Roleplay Page. There should be two large dialogue boxes. The first one is for the rules, and the second is for the roleplay's introduction page. Rules go in that first box.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 8 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VincentRayne on Sun May 14, 2017 4:17 am

Hello, all! My name is Vincent Rayne. I've been part of the site for a good while but I always have trouble finding RPs that interest me and even harder finding ones that I join and leave the ground. This year I've joined a lot of RPs that have died before they even started. I've been writing for a while and have tons of potential stories so I thought that I'd give it a go. I've done this three times before on different websites but each of those were not as organized. Granted one of them was finished, at least. I don't remember what happened with my first. The third was just a 1x1 that had to turn into my own story because my other writer had to go to the military. But that was still a while ago.

So while I have participated in many RPs i have yet to make one. And that's where I need some help. I have never made a character sheet. I'm not sure what Introduction format seems eye catchy the most aside from ones with pictures of GIFs.

I guess it's more of the technical side I need some assistance. Once I get these down once I should be able to make more RPs on my own unless I completely bomb my first one. I wanted to come here first for some actual help rather than just copying bits from other many others introduction page.

Oh, and should I make my own thread for my specific help if I get any? Or is it solved here?

VincentRayne
Member for 5 years
Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Promethean Inspiration Person of Interest

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.