Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War »

Players Wanted: 18+, 1x1 Multi. Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for 1 on 1 roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join »

Need some help, if you don't mind.

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Need some help, if you don't mind.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Popeno on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 am

I need some help with the whole fighting thing. I have been roleplaying for a very long time and I have never had to fight. I am looking for someone who can teach me this, I read through the tutorial, but I would like some "hands on" experience. I don't want to do some galactic ultimate power fight, I want someone who knows what they are doing here and can help me out. If you don't mind doing this please, PM me or reply here. Thanks again.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Popeno
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Need some help, if you don't mind.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Never had to fight and you've been playing for that long? Either you're a lover or your RPs have never gotten that far. There are two different kinds of text fighting: The sort that arises as a result of a story and the sort that arises because people want to test their skills against each other. You're probably going to enjoy the first one more, but for the sake of completeness, I'll describe both.

When a fight evolves over the course of a story's events, the parties involved should work out how the fight will unfold as well as the desired result. Once a conclusion has been reached, the event is then played out, and the story continues on its normal path. This is notable because the combatants are working with each other, and the conflict serves as a means to advance a story. A similar point can be made about scenes involving intimacy, but that's for another time. Frequently, however, this sort of combat spills over into the second kind, described below.

On the other hand, you have different fingers if you want to see how good your fighting acumen is against other people, that is what this section of the forum is about. In this realm, players take turns attacking one another until only one character is left standing. Plot is an afterthought--the central purpose of the fight is about the players seeing who can outmaneuver whom, and as with any other competitive activity, certain sets of rules have been adopted by the various communities of the internet. As there are so many floating around and each person interprets their rule set differently, the first step is to get in contact with your would-be opponent and come to an agreement on the rules of the duel (assuming the other person agrees to fight you at all). Here is where you set things such as what powers are off-limits, the scenery, how posts are to be written, how hits are scored, and how much real-world time each poster is given to reply to their opponent. Violation of this time limit without prior notice often allows the violator's opponent to take another turn and automatically succeed at whatever they were doing on their previous turn--IF they manage to get the extra post up before the opponent's reply to the original post.

The second step is to secure a judge to make sure that the rules are followed and to provide an official interpretation of the events should an argument happen, which occurs more frequently than I'd like to admit. It's a little ass-backwards to call a judge after the argument starts, IMO, but different strokes. Finally, the duel is conducted according to the agreed-upon rules, and the first fighter to fulfill the agreed-upon victory conditions is considered to be the winner. This usually takes the form of rendering the opposing character unable to continue. This often translates to death, though unconsciousness or losing an extremity can work just as well.

It takes a certain sort of person to survive in the harsh world of text fighting. Hopefully you're that sort. Good luck out there.
Last edited by LawOfTheLand on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: Need some help, if you don't mind.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Popeno on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Popeno
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!