Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

New to Forum-based Roleplay

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

New to Forum-based Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aryangel on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello, my name is Aryangel and I am new to forum-based roleplay. I have casually roleplayed over chats and I have done text-based roleplay on other websites, but they all have their own etiquette. I suspect that Roleplay Gateway also has its own unspoken rules. None of the websites I used involved very complex code for roleplaying- there tended to be only four or so ways to format things. All of the roleplays I did began with a "starter" or a "scenario" but from there, very little of it was planned. To what degree are roleplays planned out on this website? The term "GM" also confuses me, what is a "GM"s responsibilities?
I know how to write decent descriptions, create characters, and think of stories, but I don't know how to format my roleplays on forums.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aryangel
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: New to Forum-based Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Ary!

I think you’ll find that a lot of this stuff varies between groups/RPs, but I can give you some general tips and pointers.

For starters, complex code is absolutely not necessary. Some people are fond of it for the fact that it spruces up character sheets, but others are actually quite vehemently against most aesthetic uses of coding. I find that most people are right in the middle—they take a “use it if you want to, don’t if you don’t” approach, or else provide their preferred code for you.

As for unspoken rules… hm. The usual ones about godmodding and metagaming apply—that is, generally you shouldn’t control other people’s characters or use OOC knowledge for IC purposes. It’s generally respectable to be polite to everyone else and let people take turns posting in a scene or RP with more than two participants. Most of the other expectations are honestly covered by the site-wide rules. If you had any specific questions, I could try an give you an idea of the answer; but as I mentioned, it varies. I think when all else fails, just asking people what they prefer is the way to go.

“GM” is a term that means “Game Master.” It’s taken from tabletops, I believe. Basically, the GM is the creator of an RP—the person who makes the tab and solicits characters from others. Often, the GM will have some idea of where the story is going and guide it along. Some GMs do this by playing lots of NPCs and controlling the setting’s reaction to characters. Others have different approaches. A GM in the multiverse is slightly different—but I’d recommend asking someone more versed in the MV if you were curious about that.

I think I covered your questions; if I happened to miss any, please let me know.

Cheers, and welcome to Gateway,
Kurokiku
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aryangel on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 am

Thank-you, Kurokiku!

Your response was very helpful. Forum-based roleplay seems to be more immersive than the roleplay I am accustomed to, but that's a welcome change! I particularly like the idea of the setting/NPC's being controlled by a third party- it keeps things interesting. I'm still pretty nervous about starting on a new site but I feel much better now.

Aryangel

Aryangel
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Glad I could help! (And that I wasn't too late to do so).

If there's anything else you think of as you get started, do feel free to let me know; I'm happy to lend a hand where I can.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!