Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

New here and have an idea (fantasy world)...

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

New here and have an idea (fantasy world)...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 am

Hey folks!

Been lurking for a long while and finally decided to join up. I'm a bit too nervous of jumping right into an existing RP, so I thought I'd share an idea and see if anyone might be interested in starting a new story with me.

Here's the basic idea (very much open to suggestions): What happens to the worlds we create when we can no longer maintain them? Basically, an isolated (perhaps bullied) child creates an imaginary world where they are safe to fantasize. Imagined characters, imagined places--a happy, fantastical, anything-can-happen sort of whimsical universe. The child then ages and loses interest/forgets--perhaps becomes ill, jaded, or maybe they've even died.

The essence of the story is that this fantasy world does exist on some plane, and without the creator the world has fallen into neglect. Perhaps wars have broken out because the people feel forsaken. Happy places become dangerous ones, etc. etc.

I imagine the creator is then transported back there, unrecognised by the people they once created. This can either happen in dreams, or because the creator is in a coma, or because they've died (and this has become their own sort of afterlife).

The characters would be comprised of the creatures and people the child invented, but twisted with the main character's own life experiences and years of isolation. Definitely lots of fantasy--the characters wouldn't necessarily have to be human.

The world would be extremely pliable, all in all.

That's the (not entirely brief) rundown! Anyone like? Anyone want to expand on it? Let's plot. :)
The Awakened Online Comic ~ Everything you know is a lie...
www.theawakenedcomic.com

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: New here and have an idea (fantasy world)...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:02 am

I love this! :D I'd be interested in joining up if you do end up starting it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Makenna Young
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Awesome! Let me know if you have any characters/plots/places in mind! ^^

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MolecularMachine on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Hhnnnng this sounds really cool. Do you think this world would consist of a huge landscape, or would it be just a single town? Maybe there are little mini-continents set aside for exploring natural landscapes or visiting the residents. And ohgosh I already have a character idea! Before, she was a fire imp-like creature, sort of embodying the child's passion. Depending on how the child grew up, the imp could become like hardened lava, a fiery demonlike creature, or a tiny flame.

MolecularMachine
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:14 pm

MolecularMachine wrote:Do you think this world would consist of a huge landscape, or would it be just a single town?

I'm picturing something on a fairly large-ish scale, though we could set it up in just about any way imaginable. At the very least, I'm picturing a kingdom--something the child probably saw him/herself as ruler of (a good and merciful king/queen who is now missing--replaced by someone or something darker).

Kids have crazy imaginations, so the way the world works and the sorts of places within it could be pretty fantastical. We could RP in some pretty freaky/twisted/rad environments with the whole world having been left to run wild. 8D

Love the fire imp idea! I'm thinking of playing a character who might have once been the child's protector. Either some symbol of ferocity and strength, or something gentle and safe. Still pondering!

Oh, also, I'm an artist for a living so I'll probably draw any suggested/pre-planned characters for the intro, if that's cool. X3

Off to bed now, but keep them ideas comin'! I'll have more of my own tomorrow. ^^

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MolecularMachine on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:27 pm

BeelzytheBub wrote:At the very least, I'm picturing a kingdom--something the child probably saw him/herself as ruler of (a good and merciful king/queen who is now missing--replaced by someone or something darker).

Ooh, maybe the kingdom is the kind of center of this world, and depending on which direction you leave it, you enter a different place that seems too large/incorrectly formed to exist with the geographies of the other worlds. For instance, if you leave from the southwest gate, you enter a huge jungle, but the south gate just a little ways away leads to a space station. Hnng it could be like a Legend of Zelda thing where the characters have to fix all the different lands, and then come back to the central castle for the resolution. That could lend well to letting people join/replacing dead characters in the middle of the RP.

I think the creator of the imaginary world should be developed first, so we have a core to build everything else from. What specific issues did the child have (which would create the original monsters of the world)? What issues caused the child to leave/what issues have they had since? I think it'd be more interesting to deal with first world problems subtle struggles like pressure to succeed or finding one's place in the world, but that's just me.

BeelzytheBub wrote:I'm thinking of playing a character who might have once been the child's protector. Either some symbol of ferocity and strength, or something gentle and safe.

In my opinion, the perfect combination of these traits lies in the kangaroo. Cozy pouch plus deadly kickboxing equals the badassingest guardian.

And ohgosh drawings would be awesome. I am nowhere near as good at art as you are, if I am correct in assuming that you made your avatar image, but I can also provide some concept sketches.

MolecularMachine
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:46 am

I have an idea for a female character, actually. I'm obsessed with this race of demons called a wraith. They're refered to as the Daughters of Lucifer (for they're always female) and they have incredibly strong black magic and are beautiful in an unearthly sort of way. I'd love to works a wraith into the story, but have it be a general species instead of a demon. This particular one has grown up away from other wraiths, and she loathes her demonic form. But as all wraiths do, she is forced to take the form of a mindless monster every ninth night. Basically people would still be afraid of her, only her adoptive family knowing that she does not enjoy her terroristic ways. It's basically designed for social struggles, etc, for simplistic trials and triumphs in the midst of a bigger picture.

Makenna Young
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sathandra on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 pm

This is actually a pretty interesting idea. If you do decide to go ahead and make this a RP then I'd be willing to join.

"If I have learned anything about life and love, it is that they are tenuous things that can end at any moment. Caution is essential- but not at the cost of wasting your life."

Sathandra
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 pm

MolecularMachine wrote:Hnng it could be like a Legend of Zelda thing where the characters have to fix all the different lands, and then come back to the central castle for the resolution. That could lend well to letting people join/replacing dead characters in the middle of the RP.

Ooooh, yes I quite like that! I'm feeling a little bit of Wizard of Oz vibe as well--not just for the potential whimsy of the world, but also the way the creator character is dropped into it and then will likely pick up companions/receive quests as they go (and the companions will probably more than likely resemble someone they actually knew/know).

MolecularMachine wrote:I think the creator of the imaginary world should be developed first, so we have a core to build everything else from.

Agreed. And I'm up for either regular ol' LIFE problems, or something a little more psychological (maybe they've faced a trauma they just can't handle, and so regress once again--not necessarily by choice--into the safety of their fantasy world). I'm envisioning a female for this role, but if anyone else can argue for a dude, please do, I shan't stop you. ;D

MolecularMachine wrote:In my opinion, the perfect combination of these traits lies in the kangaroo. Cozy pouch plus deadly kickboxing equals the badassingest guardian.

D'aww. I'm going to play with that idea for sure. He'll probably look mostly human, but now I want to stick a little kangaroo tail and big ears on him. XD

And thank you for the compliment! Yup that's my art, haha. And speaking of art, whoever wants to pitch some characters for this, I'd love to start doodling now if you want to give me some appearance specs. :) Also for sure, please draw stuff also! YAY ART.

Makenna Young wrote:I have an idea for a female character, actually. I'm obsessed with this race of demons called a wraith. They're refered to as the Daughters of Lucifer (for they're always female) and they have incredibly strong black magic and are beautiful in an unearthly sort of way. I'd love to works a wraith into the story, but have it be a general species instead of a demon. This particular one has grown up away from other wraiths, and she loathes her demonic form. But as all wraiths do, she is forced to take the form of a mindless monster every ninth night. Basically people would still be afraid of her, only her adoptive family knowing that she does not enjoy her terroristic ways. It's basically designed for social struggles, etc, for simplistic trials and triumphs in the midst of a bigger picture.

Veddy cool. ^^ Would she have spawned out of the absence of the child creator? A result of the world's neglect, or would she have started as something else and become the demon over time?

Sathandra wrote:This is actually a pretty interesting idea. If you do decide to go ahead and make this a RP then I'd be willing to join.

Excellent! Let me know if you have a specific character in mind. :)

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:10 pm

She's of the younger creatures, from neglect.

Makenna Young
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MolecularMachine on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 pm

BeelzytheBub wrote:Agreed. And I'm up for either regular ol' LIFE problems, or something a little more psychological (maybe they've faced a trauma they just can't handle, and so regress once again--not necessarily by choice--into the safety of their fantasy world). I'm envisioning a female for this role, but if anyone else can argue for a dude, please do, I shan't stop you. ;D

Yeah, regression via trauma makes sense. Maybe she was fired and she can't get another job? Maybe she was disowned by her family/friends after coming out? And yeah, I was wanting to make the creator female as well. Aside from the aforementioned Wizard of Oz, there don't seem to be many female heroes in this position.

BeelzytheBub wrote:And speaking of art, whoever wants to pitch some characters for this, I'd love to start doodling now if you want to give me some appearance specs. :) Also for sure, please draw stuff also! YAY ART.

Sweet. I have my character's previous form pretty much planned out, but I'll need to see where the creator character goes in order to figure out the current form.

MolecularMachine
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm

MolecularMachine wrote:Yeah, regression via trauma makes sense. Maybe she was fired and she can't get another job? Maybe she was disowned by her family/friends after coming out? And yeah, I was wanting to make the creator female as well. Aside from the aforementioned Wizard of Oz, there don't seem to be many female heroes in this position.

I like the idea of her family turning their backs on her--that would definitely cause some emotional trauma. Alternatively (or in addition to?), it could be because of a bad break-up (and a character symbolic of their ex could find their way into the storyline). I s'pose if we have some basic parameters in place, we can leave the larger backstory to whoever wants to play her.

As for the kingdom--how should it be ruled in the absence of the creator? Some sort of regent, an evil entity, maybe a military, or should it all have crumbled to anything-goes chaos?

I was toying with the idea of religious zealots. The little girl would have been something of a god, creating this universe, and there could be a group of people who have taken over with their fanatical doctrine in the absence of said god.

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Okay this is the fastest doodle ever, but here's a concept for my dude!

(Yes you can totally tell that I am currently obsessed with Sleepy Hollow, shhhhhh.)

I think he will most likely turn into an animal, rather than have animal-like features. He's also supposed to look a bit dishevelled, because what's a poor protector to do when the one he's supposed to be protecting ups and vanishes?

I'm going to try doodling some concepts for the creator character next. :)

EDIT: Okay, here's one idea:

EDIT: Aaaaand two more. Okay that's all for now, haha.

Image Image

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MolecularMachine on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Lovely sketches indeed :3 I'm liking the third one; it's good to have an RP where the whole cast isn't as the driven snow. And ohman I don't want to hijack this whole plot but I have so many ideas for the creator character. I'd like to play her unless someone else wants to. If I do play her, I'll leave the fire imp up for grabs.

BeelzytheBub wrote:I was toying with the idea of religious zealots. The little girl would have been something of a god, creating this universe, and there could be a group of people who have taken over with their fanatical doctrine in the absence of said god.

Ooh, I like that. And perhaps they'd have a really heavy influence in the central kingdom, but less power in the outside lands, so we can have equal parts dystopian government and dark whimsy. What would the people in power have to gain, though? I'm thinking that there might have to be a type of wealth, unless the denizens of this world are mortal in some way.

MolecularMachine
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 pm

MolecularMachine wrote:And ohman I don't want to hijack this whole plot but I have so many ideas for the creator character. I'd like to play her unless someone else wants to. If I do play her, I'll leave the fire imp up for grabs.

Haha, by all means! She's all yours.
(And I agree--I'm partial to the third sketch also.)

MolecularMachine wrote:Ooh, I like that. And perhaps they'd have a really heavy influence in the central kingdom, but less power in the outside lands, so we can have equal parts dystopian government and dark whimsy. What would the people in power have to gain, though? I'm thinking that there might have to be a type of wealth, unless the denizens of this world are mortal in some way.

Perhaps a little of both? When she was young the little girl probably introduced wealth in some form (okay if it were child me the currency would be Pogs and marbles, but let's pretend this character was a little more sensible...), maybe gems and jewels? Something pretty and desirable. Maybe it's even something that contains magic and perpetuates lasting life.

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shadereen on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:04 am

Fucking awesome O_O

I love your ideas and I love your sketches.

shadereen
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hurricane on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 am

This sounds really awesome. I would potentially love to join, but may be too busy, I'll need to see. On a sidenote as far as thoughts and ideas go I have a couple things. On money, I do like the idea of having it be an odd sort of currency a child would understand, maybe more a trading system than anything? Based off of how cool or fun something is? Which would then have been perverted as the realm grew into decay. Or another idea, maybe have it be actual money, but the values change all the time, kind of how a kid will sometimes think one is worth more than another based of size, like, I still don't get why a nicel is bigger than a dime. And if that happens maybe have the images on the money instead of being important people irl make it people the child knew, or people the child invented as people who lived long ago in the world, or make it cartoon characters. Maybe like Winnie the Pooh and such originally but over time the images changed and became more frightening, or they slowly died and decayed. Then as far as what the rulers get out of it I have some thoughts. I know when I was a kid and played make believe or what have you we would do all these ridiculous things that would never work in real life and would get us killed, but some amazing thing would happen to stop it. Like if you were pretend fighting with friends they would shoot you, but you would dodge, then they walk up to you and slice you open with a sword that you can't dodge, but you have a magic electric forcefield that stops it, then the pull out a laser that can go through forcefields and they kill you. But really you are invincible so it doesn't hurt or something. And this would happen for imaginary characters too. So maybe all people in this world are inclined to do amazing and crazy things, but without the creator there the "magic" is gone so they all perform crazy heroic suicide without some super saving thing to help them. So the people in control want to stay away and live because they don't get the impulse to do those things if they are away from it. Or maybe there is something in the palace the child lived in which bleeds off magic still that they collect and keep in reserve in case they need a magic save, like a forcefield they never had, or a teleporter to save them from falling in lava. Just some thoughts, and again, love the idea.
Two wrongs do not make a right. However, three lefts do.

Hurricane
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MolecularMachine on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 pm

BeelzytheBub wrote:Haha, by all means! She's all yours.

Sweet! I'll start working on a backstory straight away. I'll probably be a bit busy this weekend, but I'll get something up as quickly as possible.

Hurricane wrote:On money, I do like the idea of having it be an odd sort of currency a child would understand, maybe more a trading system than anything? Based off of how cool or fun something is?

Ohgosh I've had this one idea forever. Basically, an item has magical power based on how cool you think it is. This would work really well in this setting. Maybe the creator character made a bunch of powerful items which are now mostly lost in the different lands and she has to get them back in order to take back control of this world. That would be a reasonable explanation as to why she couldn't just imagine everything better again; she's sealed her imaginary powers into these items/the items have absorbed her powers and now she's no longer the "goddess" she once was. This would also pit the zealots against the creator and her crew; the zealots want the items so they can have power, and they don't believe that she's the actual creator because she can't manipulate the world like she once could. Maybe the zealots already have some of the items and they're bribing the denizens to get more of them. It would also create a dilemma: the creator would have to choose between keeping any item she finds and using it as it is or releasing the imaginative power sealed inside it but destroying the item in the process.

Hurricane wrote:So maybe all people in this world are inclined to do amazing and crazy things, but without the creator there the "magic" is gone so they all perform crazy heroic suicide without some super saving thing to help them. So the people in control want to stay away and live because they don't get the impulse to do those things if they are away from it. Or maybe there is something in the palace the child lived in which bleeds off magic still that they collect and keep in reserve in case they need a magic save, like a forcefield they never had, or a teleporter to save them from falling in lava.

This is so cool! Maybe the wealth comes in the form of solid versions of that "bled magic," which is printed like coins with the corrupted faces you mentioned. The zealots could use that to bribe the denizens, so anyone who works for the zealots pretty much gets get out of death free cards.

MolecularMachine
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BeelzytheBub on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:19 am

Hey guys!

Sorry for the week of silence--I got hit with a horrible flu/migraine combo and have been stuck in bed feeling miserable.

Coming out of it now and hoping that there's still some interest in this! I *LOVE* the ideas about magical objects and the quest to find them with religious zealots at the backs of our heroes throughout as everybody clamours for the power (which in turn would make the objects more powerful, if their power is regulated by how important or cool people think they are).

I'd love to go ahead and create this RP, but I want to be sure people still want in, so IF you want to play can you chime in and let me know what character you intend to play? Thanks much! ^^

BeelzytheBub
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hurricane on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

I am still hanging around, and would absolutely love to go with this still. I am not quite sure on a character concept yet, but I think it will most likely be a cartoon character kind of gone bad. But he wouldn't be a villian, maybe just a person like Han Solo, or Carnage from Spider man. Like a chaotic good mixed with a lawful evil, without being a true neutral... anyway like I said still interested if this is going to happen.

Hurricane
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!