Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

hi, newbie here

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

hi, newbie here

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Luirae on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello! I'm Luirae. I have roleplayed on and off for a few years on another site, but I didn't find it as fulfilling as it could have been. I decided to give rp another shot, but on here. I love creating characters and stories, and I would really love to use this website as a creative outlet. I hope to grow into a better writer and storyteller.

I was hoping someone could help me get started. Whether it's a recommendation for a decent roleplay for beginners or some tips, it helps!

Thank you xx

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Luirae
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: hi, newbie here

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 am

Hello and welcome to RolePlayGateWay Luirae! If you like creating characters and stories, then you've come to the right place!

I am Talisman, one of the new moderators for the site. My suggestion for getting started is to simply jump in headfirst, but I know that can be a little intimidating. Near the top of the site is a list of the newest Roleplays to be created so, maybe check around there for anything that catches your fancy? You can also take a look at the Roleplayers Wanted forum to see if there are any other roleplays that are looking for individuals like yourself.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your favorite genres and styles of Roleplay?
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Talisman
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:06 am

Hey there Luirae!

Sorry to hear that your past experiences haven't been as top notch as they could have been, but I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here and I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say that I'm glad you chose us for your second shot at roleplaying.

So, right off the bat I'll tell you that you can ask me any questions you might have about the way the site works, or navigation, or whatever. I'm here to help. In fact, you can ask any of our staff members(users with fancy colored usernames) for help, and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Green names, like mine, are moderators, and we are responsible for site maintenance, content regulation, and making sure the site runs smoothly and is as welcoming and user-friendly as possible. If you have any questions, need help, or want to report rules violations or any other problems you may come across, we're the ones to talk to.

A dark blue name indicates someone who is a scholar. They're the best at helping beginners learn the ropes of roleplaying, character creation, and writing. You can think of them like English teachers, only way cooler. You mentioned wanting to grow into a better story teller, so I would recommend finding a scholar, since they really know their stuff. Plus, there's a whole subforum dedicated to helping people grow as writers, The Role Play Academy.

Finally, red names are our admins, the people in charge.

In addition, many of our users are very friendly and very helpful. A lot of the time, you wont even need to ask a mod, just because almost everyone is willing to help. All you gotta do is ask.

If you want to jump right into roleplaying, I'd suggest you head over to the Interest Checks and Roleplayers Wanted forums. Interest Checks are where people post their ideas for a roleplay. Roleplayers wanted is for already existing roleplays trying to recruit new players. Both are great places to start. If you see something you'd be interested, don't be afraid to let them know.

Lastly, I suggest you read over our rules really quick. There isn't a lot, but they are important. Any general questions you might have are probably already answered in the help forum, but if you can't find an answer, you can always post there with your question. Or send us a PM, although you need 10 forum posts before you can do that.

Anyway, welcome to RPG and I wish you the best.

~Solo Wing Pixy

[EDIT] Egad! Tally, you fiend, you have bested me!
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 am

Hi there, Luirae! I'm Echo, and unlike these people above me, I am not a moderator, so my opinions here are probably irrelevant. :D

At any rate, welcome to Gateway! I hope you like it here; although I haven't been around as long as other people, it's actually quite a good site to write on with how the mechanics work, and generally lets you improve on your writing skills in general. Considering that I'm a player myself here, I'd like to provide general tips towards roleplaying here, although you don't have to take my advice at face value or anything like that- different things work for different people, after all.

One of the first things I would have to start with is that HTML is a very useful tool here. A lot of people like to provide character sheets that you fill out before submitting them, and you basically put a nice chunk of details and pretty pictures and things like that to impress the Game Master. When making a roleplay, I've seen that putting in pictures and brushing things up to look nice tends to help, too, but making a rather simplistic one can get a lot of people by itself. I wouldn't worry too much about coding and stuff, as it's actually pretty easy, and I think the writers here have more focus on the writing in general than aesthetics.

Another thing is that if you make a roleplay, you should try and establish a bit of a camaraderie with the other roleplayers- I've noticed that people are more likely to stick around when they feel more of an attachment to the group and the characters connected to it. Community isn't a thing you need to shove your face in if you don't want to, but it does play a part, and I feel as if it adds a nice touch to collaborative writing. :)

Then, as the moderators said, make sure to check the forums and stuff. When I first joined, I made the mistake of not really participating in them, but they do have pretty neat features. You can find a Scholar or other people with time on their hands to guide you around, look for roleplays currently searching for new writers, and a whole bunch of neat stuff.

Finally, roleplays for beginners...Well, it really depends on what kind of genre you like. A lot of newcomers join the Multiverse because of how open it is, but if you like a more linear type deal, there's a lot of stuff for that. I'd be more than happy to shamelessly plug a few of the ones that I'm in, if you'd like? ;)
Soon we'll televise our
C O L O R

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Luirae on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice, Talisman. :) I like most genres, from post-apocalyptic to supernatural to high school drama.

Thanks, Solo, I was a bit confused about the name colors and such. Now the site doesn't seem as scary lol. (Great profile picture by the way)

Thank you for the advice, Echo! And yes, I would really like to check out one of your roleplays! :D

All of you are very welcoming! I really appreciate it. :3 It is nice to join a community that embraces its newcomers as much as this one does.

Best wishes xx

Luirae
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi, Luirae. I see I'm a bit late to the house warming party. :(

People have already linked you to the Roleplayer's Wanted forum and said nice, welcoming, encouraging things so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. If you are having any trouble navigating the website, finding active writers, adjusting to the community's etiquette, or you get bored, you're more than welcomed to get in to contact with myself or any of the fancy, colored members.

As someone earlier mentioned, blue-named members (scholars) exist for asking advice and mentoring writing/roleplaying. As you can see by my boring, regular name color I am not in this select group, but I'm throwing my expertise around anyway; the number of scholars RPG has to offer is small, and they're all busy adults with busy adult schedules. I have a young person schedule, meaning I'm usually bored and waiting for someone to ask for my advice or opinion (and ready to share it solicited or otherwise).

I also only have 2 halves of an active RP going, so if you've come to RPG with ideas of your own, send them my way.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19 pm

"Post-apocalyptic"
"Supernatural"
You. I like you.
In regards to a post-apocalyptic type roleplaying, I sort of have that type of deal in one of my larger things at the moment, actually! It's a Gifted/Superpower roleplay, basically featuring a landscape after a human and superpowered war and currently dealing with a basic superpowered war. There's a few different groups you can plop your characters in if you'd like- one being the equivalent to Communist Russia, and another being the unholy lovechild of Hollywood and mad science. If you're more geared towards the survival aspect, there's the wandering groups, who bat off attacks and the like. I warn you that it's a bit...much, but if you'd like to join I'd be more than happy to help you get to know the place. roleplay/the-age-of-gifted

As for a Supernatural type roleplay, I currently don't own one, but I'm in a really good one that I feel as if I should recommend- roleplay/s-c-i-o-n
Basically a organization made to defend humanity and supernaturals from humanity and supernaturals. A lot less grimdark than the first one, and not as much stuff to deal with considering it officially began a while ago.

Can you tell that I enjoy shameless plugging? XD

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Stop plugging, Echo; that's what I'm here for.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:54 pm

This is my turf now, Plagarism. *stalks from alleyway, snapping fingers aggressively*
I'm claiming it as my own- challenge me, and I'll bring out the background snappers and the black and white enviorment. God have mercy on you if I call in the classy jazz music, too.

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:12 am

*also snapping fingers, with similar but growing enthusiasm*

Don't turn this into a dance-off, or the only thing that's going to echo off those alley walls are your pathetic calls for help. I'll bring pain like a disease, leaving you begging for a remedy like a sick kid asking a mother for some spaghetti, so come at me bruceroni.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miss Echo on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:55 pm

....I totally forgot about this whoops
it wasn't just cause I couldn't come up with a proper comeback i swear

But you know, what? You're probably just Plagiarizing with what you put, realizing you don't have enough class to beat my criticizing. You think I'm gonna go begging? Friend, I'll always be after you, 'til you're lookin' at me and egging me to leave you be. I'm like a nest of bees, of wasps, and you can believe I'm never gonna stop.
*drops mic, then picks it up and places it on shelf*
and yes i did stop there

Miss Echo
Scholar
Member for 9 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!