Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

The Multiverse

Nogdor's Riddle

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
Where legends collide, warriors rise and titans fall. This is the general in character world, where your creations can rise to fame driven only by your imagination - this is the persistent world in which all characters exist. This whole forum is one big roleplay, with no specific rules or guidelines. If you want to create a roleplay in a single thread, this probably isn't where it needs to be.

Remember - this whole forum is one persistent world - your characters are free to move from topic to topic here with no restrictions.

Nogdor's Riddle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:01 am

There was a bard in a town called Humora. Long had his unorthodox bardery been shunned by the inhabitants of other towns, but he hoped that this would finally be the one to warm to him.
The bard’s name was Nogdor. He rarely played music, and instead delighted in riddles and especially puns. As he took his place on a soapbox in the centre of the Humora town square, an excited crowd began to gather around the bizarrely garbed speaker. The citizens delighted in riddles and huddled in close to hear. When enough people had assembled, Nogdor spoke aloud a riddle that he promised was of the most devilishly tricky variety.

“Quasimodo, a yes-man and the boyfriend of Barbie are asked a question.
Although none were born in the land of the Scots,
One of them has Scottish heritage. They are asked if they know who it is.

One of the three knows the answer, one thinks he knows and one does not know.
Which is which and which is the Scottish one?”

The townsfolk squinted up at Nogdor. After a moment’s thought one spoke.

“What? I don’t know who any of them are!”

But Nogdor had anticipated this and set before him on the ground three volumes. They looked as if they had come from all over the multiverse.

“Behold villagers! The answer lies within these three books! They hold everything you need to know about Quasimodo, yes-men and Barbie’s boyfriend. Read them and ye shall know the answer!”

The few who could read remained to look apprehensively at the large tomes. The rest left.

By sunset all but three had given up, and Nogdor mused out loud that he should perhaps have included something about Scottish dialects. A passing wizard noted that as determined as these people were, they were but humble peasants. As a friendly gesture the wizard decided to summon the very most intelligent beings from all over the multiverse. There was a muffled bang and within seconds the square was filled with anachronisms. Ancient monks stood shoulder to shoulder with gun-toting robot pilots and weird spheres of personified energy.

“Looks easy!” Remarked a super-intelligent lizard-creature.

“I dunno it’s pretty tough,” replied the villager.

“I don’t know why it’s taking you such a long time,” said Nogdor, “I highlighted all the important bits. Oh and there’s the Silver Harp of Nog in it if you win. Forgot to mention.”

And so word of Nogdor’s riddle went out all across the multiverse for heroes of all shapes, sizes and conflicting storylines to solve the riddle and win the Silver Harp of Nog, plus bragging rights for all eternity.

Ooc: You heard the man, everyone from everywhere is welcome to have a go at solving it. They are presumed to have read the three books, as well as knowing all about Nogdor and having overheard his comment about dialects. And… go!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Nogdor's Riddle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:36 am

OOC: I'll change this to an IC format later when I have more time. I just wanted to know if I was right. =P

I thought about it, and I think this is the only logical solution:

The boyfriend of Barbie is universally thought of as being Ken. Yes men pose as other people as an aggressive "righteous" faction. Quasimodo was an orphan of unknown true origin.

Based off of this information and personalities, I'd have to say that Quasimodo is the true Scottish one.

Figuring out which one knows, thinks he knows, and does not know is more difficult. Based of the overall less-intelligent stigma that the Barbie line has, I'd have to say that Ken does not know. Between Quasimodo and the Yes-men, based off of personality alone I would have to say that the Yes-men think they know which leaves Quasimodo as the one who knows.

:D Harp please.
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:37 am

Nogdor withholds the harp, but commends you for your efforts and apologises for taking several months to reply.

"I'd like to correct your view of Yes-men. You see, they are essentially hired to suck up to their boss,
always approving his ideas, always saying yes.
As a big clue, I'd have to say that Yes-men "yes", but they don't..."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:12 am

"No answers?" asked Nogdor, "Still? Honestly, it wasn't all that difficult. More clues, I suppose, are needed.
You should have all the answers you need regarding yes-men. Next comes Quasimodo.

An earlier answer was that this bell-ringer was an orphan, and of unknown origin.
Instead the answer lies, not in Quaismodo's past, but in his present, and what we would see.
For the Hunchback's greatest ugliness is the answer to what his knowledge must be.

What do you think? Does the answer become clearer, traveller?

Or perhaps you don't know for sure, you only think you know. You can make a guess, you have a..."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Serpaara- on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:14 am

This seems complicated..))
http://www.freewebs.com/orikalkos/index.htm

Join Orikalkos, and RP on our forum.

Serpaara-
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Le Cruise on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 am

why it's a simple riddle, shrouded in clever word-play, Le Cruise spoke loudly, now assure of his position, the riddle's answer is, who know's the answer, if a yes-man always say's yes to everything, then to that person, yes must be the answer, therefore, the yes-man.
Sanity is just a limitation

If I was normal, then why would you even acknowledge me?

Go Eagle Go!

Le Cruise
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kazi-kazi on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:57 am

The yes-man has no clue ( but will continue saying he does just to keep going), Quasey has spent his entire life locked away, so he is very unsure, leaving Barbie's boyfriend to be the only true knower (since he has been Barbie's boyfriend since 1961, he would know)

The Scott is: Barbie
Eneregy=MC hammer

Kazi-kazi
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter

Almost there!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am

"Barbie? Barbie? She wasn't even one of the choices!" Shrieks Nogdor a little unnecessarily.
"I assume you mean Ken was the Scot. And yes, ye be correct. But Further information is needed
if the silver harp ye seek! Your reasoning as to the answer was dead wrong, let me list for you
my previous clues...

A Yes-man yes's but he doesn't...

Quasimodo has a...

And finally, That lesson in Scottish dialects I promised. An old folk-tale
using words from the Scottish tongue:

"And the guid Lord cast the sinners into the pits of Heyll,
And och! The sinners did say "But Lord, we did nah ken!"
And the guid Lord said "Well now ye ken."

"First in best dressed on this one, I'm afraid.

Quasimodo, a Yes-man, and the Boyfriend of Barbie.
Which is Scottish?
We know it's Ken, but do ye ken
what each one thinks
And why?
"

In his frustration, Nogdor blurted the key to the riddle.

"I like puns, people! Puns! For goodness sake. It's not hidden in these character's complex histories,
it lies in wordplay! Oh well. In any case, Kazi-kazi can receive this Token of Participation.
The Harp still awaits the savvy traveler, or as, I like to call them, saveler.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Le Cruise on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:51 am

Le Cruise asked his quetions politely,

"May I have another try at this riddle? Also, what is the english translation of Ken?"

Le Cruise
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:19 am

"Ah, oui!" Said Nogdor, in flawless French. "Everyone can try to answer the question as many times as they wish.
But you tell me you do not ken the English translation of ken? You ken, what you don't ken could fill a book."
Nogdor was getting somewhat aggravated. Some months had passed since he first asked the question, and he was
mentally planning to ask a much clearer one next time.
"ANYONE KEN WHAT KEN MEANS?" Asked Nogdor of the assembled crowd. This statement made the answer dawn on those who had not yet stopped listening or started throwing fruit.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby matt7292 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Well 'ken' obviously means know.

Ken is the Scott and he knows for sure because 'Ken' means know.

Quasimodo is unsure because his back is curved like a question mark.

And the yes-man is the only one left so he has to be the one who doesn't know.

matt7292
Member for 11 years

The Answer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:06 am

"All right, all right." Grumbled Nogdor, "I suppose you're the winner."

Nogdor gestured and a fountain of gold spurted from his fingers. When the watcher's eyes adjusted, they saw the bard holding the Silver Harp of Nog. He made to hand it over to Matt, who had just answered closest to the true meaning of the riddle.
Then suddenly Nogdor pulled back, before the answerer could grab it.

"Ken means know, yes, I'm sure it would have taken a genius to work that out.
But Quasimodo's back shaped like a question mark? NO!
The answer is that Quasimodo has a hunch who the Scotsman is! A hunch! GET IT?" Nogdor gabbled inanely,
"And a Yes-man! I all but told you the answer! A Yes-man 'yes's but he doesn't..."
Nogdor's wide-eyed gaze was met with blank stares.
"No!Know! Yes-men 'yes' but they don't know!
You people are not fit to win this Harp! Perhaps among you one will emerge who can answer me perfectly,
and I shall be waiting! But until then, the Harp belongs to no-one!"
Nogdor clapped his hands above his head, reminiscent of a certain wizardly headmaster. There was a flash of fire, and he was gone.

The assembled crowd turned away, mumbling about being swindled out of their time. One person stayed to look back, however. Matt, the person closest to answering Nogdor's Riddle, was left staring at a glimmer on the ground.
It was a Tiny Bronze Harp.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby matt7292 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:56 pm

It's okay, I never was a riddle guy. But i'm glad I still have this bronze harp. Sweet!

matt7292
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Le Cruise on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Le Cruise scratched the top of his head, for a moment, then everything made sense. It was a shame that the wizard couldn't handle the average intellect, but, he had given a chance to everyone.And with that, Le Cruise put his hands in his empty pockets, and strolled away, into the outer view of the multiverse, looking for whatever new thing would pop up next.

Le Cruise
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.