Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

The Multiverse

Nogdor's Triple Trials of Rigorous Riddles

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
Where legends collide, warriors rise and titans fall. This is the general in character world, where your creations can rise to fame driven only by your imagination - this is the persistent world in which all characters exist. This whole forum is one big roleplay, with no specific rules or guidelines. If you want to create a roleplay in a single thread, this probably isn't where it needs to be.

Remember - this whole forum is one persistent world - your characters are free to move from topic to topic here with no restrictions.

Nogdor's Triple Trials of Rigorous Riddles

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:46 am

Silver sparkles fly
In the corner of your eye
Shining in the setting sun.

-Jethro Tull

Nogdor the Bard, his robes of deepest purple faintly stirred by the breeze, stood on a hilltop,
in the middle of a paved circle, whistling a familiar tune, and caressing the strings of a silver harp.
Then the bard, his words echoing from the stone circle across time and space, gave his challenge.

"For those who missed their chance last time,
The Silver Harp is yours to find.
I'll hide it deep beneath this hill,
To seek until you've had your fill.
To reach it there are riddles, three,
You face my brother, slave, and me.
And should you pierce the Riddle Fog,
You gain the Silver Harp of Nog."

Edit: OOC: Come on then lads, take a crack at it. Anyone's welcome as with the first one, you are all beings summoned from across the multiverse, from all walks of time. You can literally be anything here, as the only thing that matters is yer mind, man. Just answer this first riddle, then the second one, then the third, and that silver harp that's eluded you for so long is yours! Come on squire, doesn't that free room on your trophy shelf call out "Put the silver harp right here, Johnny! Do it now, Johnny!" It does? Then what be ye waitin' fer, landlubber? Put yer noggin to the test and win that incandescent instrument!
Last edited by Orlandy on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Rodgon's Riddle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:35 am

The bard then stepped off of the paved circle.
The harp seemed gone from his hand, though when it had been hidden it could not be known.
Nogdor gestured, and in the centre of the circle there formed a middle-aged man, seemingly drawn from elements
of the air itself. He wore deep red robes, and a stern look on his face. His arms were crossed.
"Right. first trial, skurnrats!" Said Nogdor "This is my brother Rodgon. He follows the trend of some other wizards in that
he lives backwards in time. His birthday's coming up, and he gets less crotchety with each one.
He was especially difficult during my childhood, but you have no IDEA the troubles my mother went through
giving birth to him. In any case, Rodgon stands upon a trapdoor which leads to the crypts below this hill.
Answer Rodgon's Riddle, and he will let you pass and go back to whatever old man things he does.
Rodgon? Go ahead, give them your riddle."

"What?" Said Rodgon gruffly, "You're the bard. I thought you were writing the riddles."

"No, you fool, that was supposed to be you! Well hurry up and think of one!"

"Hmm." Rodgon was pretending to mull his riddle over.
"Well, It should have to do with my craft, the thing in which I deal.

"Yes, go on!" Encouraged Nogdor.

"I also have great interest in those who might taste a meal in the air. It should be to do with them too."

"Enigmatic, my dear Rodgon, what else?"

"Aaand..." Said Rodgon, "Theft and Death. That's it. My riddle should contain all of those."

"So..." Said Nogdor. After a moment of silence he began to look exasperated. "WHAT IS IT, for heaven's sake?"

"Sorry, can't think of one." Smiled Rodgon. A small crowd had assembled, wise beings from across the multiverse, summoned to answer Nogdor's questions, as they had been last time. Rogdon addressed the crowd.
"Can YOU think of any riddles like this?"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Re: Nogdor's Triple Trials of Rigorous Riddles

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:37 am

"No?" Smiled Rodgon, "Very well then. The sharper students among you will have realised that the riddle I speak of is actually a person. Who, you may ask? You know who."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:32 am

The craft in which Rodgon deals,
Those who might taste a meal in the air,
Theft and Death,

A Riddle containing these three things is what I need.
Can you think of one?

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tar Palantir on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Tar Palantir, a black robed figure leaning slightly upon a serpentine staff, stroked his chin with one pale, long fingered hand. Finally he stepped forward, his staff hissing slightly but falling silent quickly. Standing before the wizard, Tar Palantir spoke. He said, "here is my riddle, such as it is:

I am he that's born in might,
With spell and claw and gift of flight.
Thief's lure and burglar's bane,
My treasure vast none shall gain.

This is the riddle that I name. I ask you in your turn, bard, what is that of which i speak?"

Tar Palantir
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:35 pm

Nogdor was immediately enchanted by the promise of puzzles.
"Now let's see, what is it? A griffin perhaps? No, no. Dragon is the obvious answer. Spells, claws, flying, treasure guarding, that must be it. Anyway, Rodgon, you only wanted a riddle, you never said we had to know the answer. So was that a sufficient riddle? Do we move to the next stage of the competition?" Nogdor turned his eyes to Rodgon.

But there was a pause, and Rodgon gave a booming laugh.
"Ha! The irony! No, Tar Palantir, I am afraid you've got the wrong idea! I want the name of a riddle!
And this riddle, ha ha! He looks so much like you, Tar!"

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tar Palantir on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Tar stroked his chin, and then paused, smiling to himself. He said, "I believe that you seek not a riddle, but a Riddle. One who walks robed in black, a wizard, theft and death. I name Tom Marvolo Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort. A Riddle, indeed. Is he the one you seek?" Tar turned to Rodgon, his staff hissing softly.

Tar Palantir
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:16 am

"Connected to snakes, who may taste a meal on the air,
Connected to magic, the thing for which I care,
Theft and death, if you know your French,
Are Vol and Mort, a brilliant guess! Ha ha ha ha!"

There was a brilliant red flash and billowing smoke as Rodgon's laughter faded away. Tom Marvolo Riddle: a correct guess!
As the vision of the assembled crowd cleared, they saw in the space where Rodgon was standing, a hexagonal hole, from which a steel ladder poked. "Well now," Said Nogdor, "Shall we go inside?"

At the bottom of the hole there was a large, hexagonal room, which the crowd of onlookers completely filled.
On a raised hexagonal dais at the far end of the room there stood an automaton, a crude robot of metal and gears.
In the centre of his head there was a single glowing eye. This was Nogdor's slave, and the keeper of the second riddle.
Last edited by Orlandy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tungsten's Riddle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:40 am

"Tungsten is the name of this machine!" Cried Nogdor, "He serves me, as I am the wizard who gave him life!"
As he said this, Nogdor adjusted his purple robes, gave a tug on a beard that was obviously fake (good prosthetics are hard to come by in medieval times) and gave a wink to the audience.
Then Tungsten spoke his riddle, and his hollow voice was the grinding of gears.

"I am known by another name.
A beast of the woods,
And it's bicorned game.
One is grey, the other white,
Both are fierce, and sure to fight.
Together their chimera rears,
Toughest shields and sharpest spears."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tar Palantir on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Tar Palantir, pleased with his first victory, now stood still, his face hidden in shadow. His serpentine staff became supple and slithered up his arm to lay across his neck, a great black serpent with a short, narrow head. He nodded to himself, sometimes muttering under his breath. Finally he lifted up his face, and said, "I believe I may have the solution. The first beast is certainly a wolf, and the second I believe to be a hart. Thus, your name would be Wolfheart. Is it so?"

Tar Palantir
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:24 am

"Yes, I'm sure wolfheart would be very appropriate for a machine without a heart," Tungsten condescended,
"And was not the second beast white in colour? A white and soft heart is no thing to be proud of, Tar, and neither is that spongy, insufficient brain of yours. You are wrong."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:20 pm

"Sarcastic little machine, isn't he?" Said Nogdor, "Can't be helped I'm afraid. Actually I think Wolfheart would be quite an appropriate name for him."
"Illogical." Grated Tungsten, "The brain controls personality, heart is a mere water pump. And if anyone was to guess my other name, they'd need the brain of a scientist."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:14 am

Nogdor decided to reiterate the progress made on the current riddle.
"Tar has the first part of the riddle, 'wolf', indeed, is part of the other name of Tungsten.
The other animal, yet to be named by you riddlers, is the white, bicorned (not unicorned) prey of the wolf,
yet both are fierce and proud, sure to fight.
the composite of these two creatures forms Tungsten's other name, which, if one has the brain of a scientist, will appear very appropriate. There, no more clues from now on, you should have all you need."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:46 am

A man, his stature slight, his form shaking -- though whether from anticipation or nerves, it is unclear -- stepped up. The thick rims to his glasses glinted in the weak light. As he took in the hulking mechanical monstrosity before him, he seemed to calm some. The machine was a beautiful work of science and, more importantly, mathematics. As he spoke up, his voice, though quiet, did not carry the same tremor his body had.

"If the wolf is known, and its prey is bicorned -- that is to say, possessed of two horns -- and a proud fighter, then it is surely a ram. Therefore, your name is Wolfram, a well known expert in the science of mathematics."

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tar Palantir on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Tar stroked his chin, thinking to himself, then nodded. "Yes, that does seem like a good answer. I must admit this riddle's answer eluded me." His staff slithered back into his hand and stiffened back into its staff form.

Tar Palantir
Member for 11 years

Wolfram

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 am

"Correct." Came Tungsten's grating reply. He then turned to face the wall and placed his shield, which was shaped like a giant gear, into the darkness of a shadowy alcove. There was a whir of gears and the wall disassembled itself as if tapped three time with a magical pink umbrella. However, behind this trick wall lay not a street of wizarding supply shops, but a misty corridor that seemed to extend forever away into the earth. The twisting and reforming gears of the wall took Tungsten with them, his separate pieces interlocking with other gears, until he had become a part of the mechanical wall.

"Wolfram. Excellent work, puzzlers." Said Nogdor as he motioned for the crowd to follow him.
"Though I must admit I am not familiar with a mathematician by that name. I do, however, know that Wolfram is
the old German name for the element of Tungsten. Which is, of course, why the letter for Tungsten on the periodic table,
is W.
Next riddle!"

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Nogdor's Riddle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:35 am

Suddenly Nogdor, leading the crowd through the seemingly endless passageway, came to a stop.
"Here, young riddlers," said Nogdor despite the fact that most of those present were older than him,
"Is the final task. You have but one obstacle left, and for it to be passed, a magical item is needed.
I have this thing on my person, but you must ask me for it. The following riddle describes the object
for which you seek.

"I was found in the belly
Of an empty life-giver,
Under my gaze
Obstacles wither,
A sap at your sorcery
For hungry I am,
A third eye for
The silent man."

Nogdor's tone was strangely solemn as he intoned the words of the final riddle.
"There are to be no clues given for this, the final riddle. To claim the Silver Harp of Nog, you must earn it without any help."
Last edited by Orlandy on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:58 am

"Oh all right, I can't resist!" Gushed Nogdor at last. "But it's two clues max! The first one is an extra verse to the riddle:

I was found in the belly
Of an empty life-giver,
Under my gaze
Obstacles wither,
A sap at your sorcery
For hungry I am,
A third eye for
The silent man.

Veracity sometimes is hard to lay bare,
My eye is all-seeing, I see what's not there."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tar Palantir on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Tar Palantir pondered this riddle, his staff hissing impatiently. He said, "I wish to hazard a guess, though I am not certain of the answer. I would like to guess a crystal ball or scrying mirror."

Tar Palantir
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orlandy on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:37 am

"Ahh, but what's it's name, Tar? If you've had the upbringing of a regular child in the 90s, chances are you know the name of this magic item. Or perhaps you have heard tales from afar. Close though."

Orlandy
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.