Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Okay, seriously.

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

Re: Okay, seriously.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I think it's important for the staff to recognize their responsibilities and establish a certain status quo. It is also important for the leaders of the staff to ascertain the necessities of the community, and take up the slack themselves. It's feasible to ask even that these leaders not only set examples, but define what it is that the other staff members should be doing, as a lot of the time our moderators do get overwhelmed, and have no idea where they're needed or what they need to be doing.
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Alright, I know I haven't been here all that long, but I like to think of myself as a pretty active member here. I'm usually on at least for an hour every day. I've been to other sites and seen them die, and I think I know why. It is, in my opinion, lack of diversity. It is too rare you find a genuinely original RP, and most of them are just generic starts which were dashed off in no time. There is no real thought put into them. So, sure people join, but since no thought was put into them, they rarely go anywhere. It also sometimes happens that a lot of thought was put into a roleplay, but people join and don't follow this. So, I think this could be fixed by asking some questions to the person who started the RP. Asking them how they imagined it, and how they have planned it to work. This could help keep everyone on the same track.
"Some things are important. Others are not. Yet all would claim a mortal's attention. It falls to each of us to remain ever mindful, and thus purchase wisdom in the threading of possibilities. It is our common failing that we are guided by our indifference to eventualities. The moment pleases, the future can await consideration." - Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 pm

Melloni wrote:Also, maybe somewhere more specific for art, poetry and prose?

Seriously, I have been pushing for this one from day one, no lie. Community Contributions forum with specific visual arts and writing subforums, PLEASE. We've got writers, artists, people with so much discernible talent that it absolutely needs its own place to be showcased.

Further beyond that, I think it's a shame that despite all these new and wonderful and enthusiastic members coming in that still we're slacking. There are new posts, but there's no consistency and no substance. Give it meaning, people. Give it that little something extra, you know?

And for the record, forum participation extends way beyond roleplaying. Visit any other roleplaying site on the net, and if you can find one where there are more roleplaying posts than there are general posts for everything, I'll bake you a whole batch of cookies. Communities don't thrive on isolated common interests. They thrive on relating to one another far beyond just a single activity they choose to do. We all like music, movies, literature, and discussing things. Seriously, go beyond the normal boundaries here.

Kouketsu
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:54 pm

One of the techniques that I'd recommend to everyone is to go down the forum index and post in every single forum until every forum indicates that the last post was made by you. With multiple people online at any point in time, this will quickly generate TONS of activity, and will force you to post things that you normally just say "Ah, forget it." to.

We have the Main Lobby and the Other forum. The "Other" forum has a few subforums that cover some of the main generic topics of discussion. I feel it to be counter-productive to create new forums for topics of discussion that don't have any posts yet. I'm still waiting for people to post WoW, Guild Wars, L2, and whatever tutorials and guides in the Entertainment section, at which point I'll HAPPILY create new forums specifically for the discussion of MMORPGs. And beyond that, if there are tons of topics about WoW in particular, or any other single game, I'll go ahead and create a new forum under that for that game in specific.

If you have something to share, don't be shy, and don't put it off. Post it. If you go through and read topics - POST your opinion. Say what you think. (Be sure, of course, to follow any guidelines set by the thread author...)

If you want to be the ultimate help, subscribe to our RSS feed and make a point to reply to every non-RP post. (read the RPGateway blog for details on how it works.)

This is a community effort. I think we have the issue of people reading topics, thinking about replying - but then not. The "Ah, forget it." syndrome. Do it.

Oh - and don't forget about using the features on the board - we have something that allows you to subscribe to a thread, so you don't forget about replying to it. Use it, it REALLY helps.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh - and don't forget about using the features on the board - we have something that allows you to subscribe to a thread, so you don't forget about replying to it. Use it, it REALLY helps.

:oops: It helps, I've been using it here... but... well, make sure you're not like me and only go here when you see the little email saying "there's a reply on <insert thread here>"

*vows to make more of an effort to reply to topics as she reads them*

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:05 am

^_^ Okies...Well, I try...
'By any means necessary. Heh, that's when your ideals outweigh your conscience. The question is: are you willing to give up yourself--your idea of who you are, of what is right--to help other people?"

Azamiko
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:51 am

Remaeus wrote:One of the techniques that I'd recommend to everyone is to go down the forum index nd post in every single forum until every forum indicates that the last post was made by you. With multiple people online at any point in time, this will quickly generate TONS of activity, and will force you to post things that you normally just say "Ah, forget it." to.

I don't think we would want that sort of thing, it leads to posts such like "I know nothing about the subject but am going to say something anyway" which is not exactly helpful talk about what you know, and leave alone things you don't makes much more sense.

Oh on the subject of the RSS feed why has it started adding five pages from Flickr to the bottom of the list, they are always there and I really don't want to see them taking my RSS space.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:26 pm

Well, it's supposed to be adding images from RPGateway's Flickr Group, but for whatever reason it's not working too well. I'll disable it until I can figure out how to make it work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:20 am

I see, well purely from a personal point of view I would prefer to have five more feeds from RPGateway rather than the pictures. For me that would be a lot more useful than the photograph links, but then you know me, I won't post pictures of me anywhere anyone may see them.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 am

What areas of the forums would you like to see individual feeds for? I'll set them up and post the link for ya'.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:27 pm

What? You can do feeds from specific threads? I never knew that. I am not sure that I need any more than the standard feed, at the moment. With everything I am in going so slowly it's not like I miss anything when I blink.

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, you can't get an RSS feed per thread, but you can get feeds per forum.

Above and beyond that, you have a few options that can help you keep track of and organize your places of responsibility. If you're viewing any one topic, scroll down to the blue bar across the bottom of the page. Look on the left hand side of that bar and you'll see buttons that will let you both "Subscribe" to a thread and "Bookmark" a thread.

The Subscribe option will send you an email (and a few other things, I think...) to notify you as soon as there's a response, as well as showing these items in your UCP (user control panel).

I hope this helps!

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Walter Barrecks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Questions
Do you have a comedy fourm?
Do you have a Artwork fourm?
Do you have a video fourm?
etc
Not to point out things everyone knows, but people comment on things of that nature... a lot.

When talking about rping
People should spend more time story making so the fourm doesn't die in days Ex. any rp that lasted more than a month.
Even fiction based rps can have a long story EX. Star Wars has a million different stories that can be altered for intrest, and has thousands of years of history on it's timeline That there can create aleast 10 topics, and go on for months.

If you want people to play your rps, advertise them in your sig space

If none of this helps anyone, than I'm not Infiligament or edgumacated hahaha
"She called me late last night, to say she loved me so.
But I guess you changed her mind.
Well I should have known it wouldn't be all right,
But I can't live without her
So I won't even try...
And if I get drunk, then I'll pass out on the floor now baby.
Cause you won't bother me no more.
And if you're drinking, well you know that you're my friend and I say
I guess I'll have myself a beer."
Reel Big Fish- Beer

Walter Barrecks
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eymber on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Thank you for your comments, Walter. Yes, we do have a comedy forum, but not directly. We have an Entertainment section in Discussion and Debate.
We also have Artwork and Music, along with the general discussion forum, where you could post a discussion on videos. There are already many different types of discussion areas, along with roleplaying. Though I understand what you are saying about the roleplaying, however please consider that just ONE person putting in effort will help bring others into it. And imagine if everyone would actually READ the roleplays that are going on. I stumbled across three or four today that I had no idea were even here. But then again, I have not been on in quite a while.

So, Walter... Which RP are you doing right now, if any, so that I can swing by and check it out? I would love to get involved in forum RP again, and what better place to start than somewhere that needs a bit of excitement!

-=Eymber=-
...Arise and be all that you dream....

Eymber
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Walter Barrecks on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:21 pm

I thank you for your help, and I neglected to advertise myself, ah... Well, me and my friend Jakob the gray were running a rp Immortal Medical, in the fantasy section. We have 3 playing characters so far, and I really say this, you must have a sense of humor in the midst of killing zombies, Walter does, so much so that my username is the same as my charater. I encorage pms from all players about questions and comments on my abilities, Jake can't hold my hand always.

Walter Barrecks
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eymber on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:03 am

I will have to check that out tomorrow after work! It sounds thrilling! Zombies... been a while since I doused one in tar and set it on fire!! xD

Eymber
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 am

As some of you may know since I posted in the Welcome section, I am back. Things have been nuts the past couple years with school, work, moving out, etc. I haven't been an internet lacky at all, especially the past 6 months. You can barely catch me on AIM! I used to be on it 24/7.

Anywho, the point now. I have decided to start RPing again, and to get more involved in the Community of the site. I have tried a few times over the last 2-3 years to get involved at AnimeMetro, but for some reason, I just CAN'T do it. My attention will not stay on that place long enough for me to enjoy it. But when I logged onto this site again this week for the first time in ages, I can't stay away from it. That doesn't even make sense. Shouldn't AM keep my interest since it has so many more topics, etc? I don't know what it is, but I feel more at home here.

As I said, I have sworn to get more involved in everything here. I am going to be promoting the site, donating when I can, and posting anytime I think I have something to say. I've been doing that a lot the past couple days.

I am so excited about being a part of this site again. Eric, I will do whatever you want me to do to help you. I will welcome new members, I will recruit, I want to donate when I have some extra money, I will monitor posts. Just tell me what you want me to do to help out. I am at your service!

I cannot express how excited I am for this site and for Eric for the creation he has given us!

<3 Dani
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:57 am

Angel_Melfina wrote:As some of you may know since I posted in the Welcome section, I am back. Things have been nuts the past couple years with school, work, moving out, etc. I haven't been an internet lacky at all, especially the past 6 months. You can barely catch me on AIM! I used to be on it 24/7.

Yea! Wtf!?

Jesus christ... Ugh, i suppose I should so something so Mel can game, hmm?

God dammit.

Alright, fuck... Someone poke, prod, jab, cajole, and otherwise stimulate me so I don't just drop off the face of RPG again. I've JUST gotten back into RP'ing and I'm gaming over at AL right now, simply because there's nothing going on here.

I mentioned it once to Faithy, but I suppose I can put it into action, and try making an RPG.

I'm gonna work on that- Oooh...

My Charlie RPG...

Oooooooooooooh...

*Puts Edge on his shoulders to smack him with his yoda-like stick*

I'ma get back to y'all.

MELF! where are you these days if not AIM?
Live in your world, get KOed in mine.

ImageImage

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:39 am

God, would it kill you people that know me to use my real name?

Don't worry Andy... I won't let you disappear. I'll just bug the hell out of you on IM and text. :]
"...la manière vraie au coeur d'un homme est de six pouces de métal entre ses nervures"

The worst part is... I would still die... for you

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Atta girl

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.