Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Old bands

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

Old bands

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RokkReady on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Anyone listen to bands from the 50's-90's? Personally, I like them waaaaaay better. My favorite band is AC/DC. I saw them in Austin, Texas a couple years ago. They kicked ass. 0_0

Other bands that I am fond of are Green Day, Aerosmith, Metallica, Megadeth, Soundgarden, The Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd.... God, now I'm rambling.

Let's be honest. They were here first. I'd say 9 out of 10 bands that exist today are inspired by at least 3 bands that existed 20 years before they started.

Duuuuuuuude. What's your favorite band from a past decade? (Not including the 2000's)
It's more of a take-on-the-world kind of feeling. You gotta do it at least once in your lifetime.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RokkReady
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Re: Old bands

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blizzard on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:13 am

Bad Religion, hands down. They speak to me in a way no one else does. Plus, they revived punk in the 80's, how cool is that?
"Peace is the absence lack of war."
"I like to reserve my mouth for kissing, alcohol, and words. Not always in that order, but you get the point."
Blizzard's Music

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Blizzard
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Black Sabbath, nuff said.

Beyond the Realms

IronPhoenix
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Digital.ps on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 am

311 is really my favorite band of all time. Listening to their music actually changed how I view life and made me a really positive person. I saw them live last year and I'm seeing them on Thursday again.

This is off topic but really there are a handful of good bands now, I use to think there weren't but you gotta dig a little deeper under all the big names.

Digital.ps
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby _ELiTE on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Bob Marley and The Wailers. Definitely one of my favorites.

_ELiTE
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby th4everlove on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Bon Jovi is one of my favorites :) I've heard that they are going to be entered into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame soon! I believe they started in the 90s?

@Digital.ps: I've been noticing that too. Theres alot of decent bands in the world today that arn't in the spotlight....It's a shame really :(
ImageImage

th4everlove
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Sickness on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Jackyl is one of my favorites any band that can use a chainsaw in a song always has my vote.
To every U.S. soldier THANK YOU!

I'm not your precious, oh don't you get on your knees.
Cause every motherfucker wants to taste your disease.
I know your torment was just a part of your plans.
You lie to the sky while you're folding your hands.
I know you hate me, cause I'm all that you need.
Close your eyes, say goodbye, I'm gonna set you free!

And cry sister make it rain.
It makes no difference, you'll never see me again.
Cry Sister, Royal Bliss

The Sickness
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shard Black on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Pink Floyd by far the best....and one of the most influential can't forget Hendrick or Joplin

Shard Black
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:40 am

Shamefully, I still don't listen to a lot of older stuff even though I really know I should. However, if it wasn't for Metallica, my favorite band of all time would probably not exist today so I give them my thanks, credit, and a deep bow.

Eventually I will get around to actually listening to more of the older stuff :)
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Kai
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 am

Wait, bands from the 90s are now in the "old" category?

Jag
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CrashQueen on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:55 am

ABBA
C:

I'm also a fan of a lot of 80s schlock.
Hey you like art? Check this junk out, man!

CrashQueen
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby maddenbaby on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

lol JAG - I know I'm late on this threat but,

Third Eye Blind, Hootie, Alanis Morisette, Counting Crows, DMB, Nirvana, 311, Billy Idol :)
"And when someone apologizes to you enough times for things they’ll never stop doing, I think it’s FEARLESS to stop believing them. It’s FEARLESS to say “you’re NOT sorry”, and walk away. I think allowing yourself to cry on the bathroom floor is FEARLESS. Letting go is FEARLESS. Then, moving on and being alright…That’s FEARLESS too." - Taylor Swift

maddenbaby
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crimson Curse on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:12 am

Most of the music that I listen to have their roots in the 80s. When I was in school, I mostly listened to Heavy Metal and Rock. Bands like Megadeth, Metallica, Maiden and Priest were gods to me. Consequently, I thought of non-Rock or non-Metal music to be crap, without actually listening to anything else. Now that I'm in college, I've been exposed to a whole different variety of music. Even though, I kinda think of myself being rooted in Metal, I've learned to expand my tastes, above the stereotypical and self-righteous bullshit philosophy that many people (including musicians) preach. Adding to the aforementioned tally, I'd say Zeppelin, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rush, AC/DC, Motorhead, Skynyrd, Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult now constitute some of my favs. Additionally, I've come to respect the musical ability of Progressive and Experimental artistes, and I love Dream Theater, another band from the 80s. Seeing as a whole, there's really a very-very small percentage of artistes that started after the 2000s that I listen to.

Crimson Curse
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ms. Fyrefli on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:56 pm

th4everlove wrote:Bon Jovi is one of my favorites :) I've heard that they are going to be entered into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame soon! I believe they started in the 90s?

1983 they formed. God, I feel old!

Okay, in no particular order, Alice Cooper (you HAVE to see him live. It is amazing!),Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Bon Jovi, Guns n' Roses, Metallica (not the new crap they are churning out now, like back when they were good!), Led Zepellin (if you only listen to ONE album, make it "Mothership"), Judas Priest, Ugly Kid Joe, Motorhead, Megadeth, I could go on ... basically anything that can be blasted with a bitching riff and I am there!

Young enough to know I can.
Old enough to know I shouldn't.
Stupid enough to do it anyway.

"'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! ... 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX PARROT!!"

Ms. Fyrefli
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hypnosis on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Aerosmith. Nobody wails on vocals or guitar like the Toxic Twins. Lol!
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

Hypnosis
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Jag wrote:Wait, bands from the 90s are now in the "old" category?

Exactly my thoughts.

Hypnosis - Aerosmith is amazing live. :)

Edit: Scrolling back through I've seen a good majority of the bands listed. Does that mean I'm old? /cry

Modesty
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ms. Fyrefli on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Modesty wrote:
Jag wrote:Wait, bands from the 90s are now in the "old" category?

Exactly my thoughts.

Hypnosis - Aerosmith is amazing live. :)

Edit: Scrolling back through I've seen a good majority of the bands listed. Does that mean I'm old? /cry

If you are old, God knows what that makes me!!

And to echo what Jag said .... WTF ... the NINETIES are now OLD SKOOL?!

Ms. Fyrefli
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hypnosis on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I would have killed to see Aerosmith live. I've been described as an "old soul" because my interest in music stretches pretty far back, to stuff people nowadays don't really listen to. I love it!

On a side note, Modesty, your Calisma story is mind-blowingly fantastic.

Hypnosis
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Susie Maddy Daison on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Atheist, Cynic, and Death practically invented the Progressive and Technical genres of Death Metal.

Susie Maddy Daison
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Motorvating on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 am

I wouldn't call anything form the 90's to be really old, at least by comparison. When I got into the more "college radio" inspired scene, there's definitely stil much of a foundation of the 90's there: Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, the Riot Grrl movement in general, the later Pixies stuff. And since so many of those type sof bad still exist or at least have their memember sin other projects, they still feel alive and well. Sure,it's weird "discovering" stuff that came out when I was third grade or kinder garden of whatever, but it's still in the generation of the young ones here.

Okay, as for the really "old", I'm trying to get into alot of the genre defining foundations. I've always been a Chuck Berry fan myself (my username comes from a line in Maybellene), and the "riot grrl" in me really likes the ronnettes. I've gone over my Velet Underground discography this weekend. And I've only just gotten into the some Dick Dale and Robert Johnson.

I'm too young, I'm sorry.

Motorvating
Member for 7 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!