Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

.:: Outbreak ::.

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

.:: Outbreak ::.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirge on Fri May 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Prologue: The World Until 2058

It was the year of our lord 2044, coming and closing in infamy, disease, and fatalities numbering millions. They tell me of death and devastation, but I can still recall nothing for myself. They tell me of an outbreak at a genetics lab in Arizona—once run by a company called Vanguard—that introduced an airborne pathogen called the Abeo Virus. They tell me forty percent of the state’s population died within forty-eight hours of the initial outbreak, choking on their own blood. Of those remaining sixty percent, they say twenty had become ravenous monsters, driven by a sole hunger for the flesh of the living. The disease spread, taking the Great Plains states by storm and touching with Death’s gangling fingers every shining coast. It made its way across the ocean through infected human vessels attempting to flee the pandemonium by way of boat or plane. It spread to Europe, where it boasted more deaths in a month than the Black Plague had accumulated in all its existence. And from there it devoured the world. Of those who survived long enough to flee, few were immune to the airborne pathogen, and not a soul can escape a direct infection. So when one contracted a bite from these monsters, they too became devourers of flesh.

All that remains are clusters of human encampments, bordered up in the remnants of what were once our great cities. It’s been fourteen years since the outbreak, and as the monsters recede we are slowly taking back our lands. The east and west coast are especially prolific, sprawling with industry and bounding into a thriving metropolis. But here in the Midwest we still live in similar states as the outcasts. I am just one of some 250,000 refugees, living away from the relics and phantoms that were once city buildings and its city people.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sirge
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MediocrePiracy on Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Name: Ivan

Race: Caucasian

Build: Tall and built, though his features are mostly kept hidden under layers of ragged shirts and a thick overcoat.

Hair: Black, long and sinewy

Profession: None

Weapons: 2 9mm handguns, knife

Personality and Background: You’ll have to find that out on your own. He is a very important character when it comes to plot twists. Try to find out as much about this guy as possible. It might be handy in the future.

Outbreak
Part 1

Scene 1:

It is a small desert outpost found far from city gates, where shady drifters stop to lose themselves in a tankard of stale beer, stay the night, and leave the next day to brave elements both demon and nature alike. With the surrounding land almost wholly spent of its life preserving nature, the wind sweeps dust in thick, undulating clouds of sedimentary fog. Night comes bringing warm rain that pours heavily and succeeds dust clouds. The thirsting earth sucks it contentedly, taking more than its fill and thus becoming as thick mud.

The streets are empty and all buildings are equally vacant save for one saloon, fortified with metal doors and metal walls and bearing a broken neon sign, locked up tightly and lit with partial invitation by a single kerosene lantern that sits on a makeshift table under an awning. Its tongues of flickering flame rise to devour one another in a spectacular splash of color set against the murky downpour and the velvet backdrop of night yet further behind. This light is the solitary beacon for those unlikely and unexpected of passersby; tonight’s being the most unanticipated.

Inside can be found a motley host of patrons, each having his own colorful story and all deciding unanimously to keep them concealed behind grim expressions. There are two characters in particular, hunched and statue-like, sitting at the bar. One is smaller with a mop of wild black hair and an apparent paranoia widening the cornea of his eyes. He cracks nuts feverishly while the other, wearing a distinctive wide-brimmed russet hat and a dark overcoat, sips beer and smokes like a chimney.

This one’s face is rugged and marred by a large scar that stretches from chin to temple, and his hair is as dark sinew spilling in wet strands from under his hat. He turns his face away in repulsion after a particularly large swig of his beer and throws the bud of his cigarette in the still full glass. “Bartender,â€
Last edited by MediocrePiracy on Sat May 05, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MediocrePiracy
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirge on Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Name: Thane “Reaperâ€
Last edited by Sirge on Sat May 05, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sirge
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MediocrePiracy on Fri May 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Name: Aaron “Berserkerâ€
Last edited by MediocrePiracy on Sun May 06, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MediocrePiracy
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MediocrePiracy on Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 am

OOC Post:

Rules and Limitations

Setup: Firstly, everything is written in present tense. Secondly, Sirge and I are the directors. That means we set up the scene and you react to it. We’ll be putting your characters up against a lot tough decisions, and they’ll have to react as best they can. I’d also like to see some conflict among different characters: We don’t all have to be best buds because we’re conveniently working toward the same goal. Above all be creative and resourceful.

Characters: You’re all humans, so nothing supernatural, please. You may have up to three characters (I insist on this), entering, exiting and dying as you please. My goal is to set this up as a survival horror, so some of your characters might die. However, the decision is yours entirely. So if you don’t want one of your characters to die, tell me in a PM.

Narration: For things to run smoothly, I’ll need to occasionally direct your characters to go down a particular hallway or make some other decision of placement. Everything else, however, is still your call as in other RPs. You’ll have plenty of things being thrown at you for you to make your own decisions.

Back Stories: If you want any of your characters to have intricate back story, please tell me about it in a PM so I can verify that it’ll work with my own plot.

Note: Sirge’s the gun nut. So if you have any questions about the weapons allowed, he’d be more than happy to go into excruciating detail.
Weapons: Since this is set a bit in the future, weaponry has evolved only slightly. You will not be able to use swords (this is directed at you anime-heads with your silly katanas, tantos, fox tails, cat ears and whatnot) but you may want to pack some kind of blade or close range weapon for when things get really heated and you don’t have a gun. And no civilian will be packing more than the Task Force unless they have a good reason for carrying so much firepower.

If you don’t want your character to be the type of person who casually carries around a gun, you don’t have to. When the time comes, a weapon can be provided for you, and a lot of the things happening won’t require you to have guns, just good running shoes.

North American Plains Task Force (NAPTF): Know these guys: they are the peace keepers of the cities and patrollers of outposts and roads between the cities. If you want you can even be a TF agent, or you can have one of your characters be a TF agent. However, you’ll be limited to a particular set of weapons for a portion of the RP. But still, these guys are armed to the teeth and they wear really cool, futuristic battle armor. :)

Task Force Weapon Sets (Must pick one)

Weapon Set 1 (Light Infantry)
Primary: FN P90 (50 rounds)
Secondary: 2 Glock 17 (15 round) (hollow-point optional)
Other: 7â€

MediocrePiracy
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirge on Wed May 09, 2007 10:51 am

Thane holsters his Glock 20- its chamber round now expended- and removes his helmet. Nothing of remorse can be read from his face, and though he has dealt the final blow to the monster he had only moments ago regarded as one of his own kinsmen, his face remains as emotionless and inhumanly unfeeling as though it were cut from a pallid stone. He turns around to set his helmet on the table behind him, revealing a strange hexagonal tattoo on the back of his neck

Sirge
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.