Piano Composition

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

Piano Composition

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 am

So I have a piano, Knowledge of sheet music, a blank set of bars, and a pencil. I'm ready to write some sheet music.
However, does anybody else here already do this? Not just on piano (chiptunes and dubstep are disqualified, no sheet music there.), but on other classical/jazz instruments too.
Personally, I'm going to start out with some chords until I get a decent melody, since that's the hardest part for me. All the chords I find sound really depressing though, so that should readily get people to find a genre FOR me, even though it's gonna get slotted into Indie/contemporary/classical. Hoepfully
Once more, with rhythm!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

PulseTrick
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Piano Composition

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderBlack on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 am

I don't know anything about writing on a sheet or what type of music I play, I just take my guitar strum a few chords find the words and sing along. I've been teaching myself how to play for two years and I still have a lot to work on but a lot of people say that they like my songs.

I can't post a link yet because I'm new here but once I'm posted enough I'll try and put the link so you can check it out ;)

I hope you're able to compose you're song I'd love to hear it! The only songs I know how to play on piano are 9 Crimes by Damien Rice, Apologize by One Republic and a part of Hello by Evanescence. . .

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

UnderBlack
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderBlack on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey sorry, I wanted to try and put the link but it didn't work again ^^

UnderBlack
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Felidae on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:21 pm

As a composition student, I find the best way to start writing music is to improvise. Just mess around on your piano. Play in a certain key or play in no key. Screw with the rhythm. Try all sorts of crazy stuff. The important thing is to record these sessions so that you can go back and figure out what sounded good and what sounded like your cat dying while singing opera and bashing its own head against the wall.

In order to write music, you must listen to it. You need to experience all kinds of music, not just the genre you want to write in. This way, you can see what works for other composers and how you could use their works to influence your own. In fact, you could even start out by copying some phrases and meshing them into your work. All the best artists start out by copying.

When you're writing music, don't be pressured to make it look perfect. You could use notation software like Sibelius so that you don't have to worry about neatness, but Sibelius is quite an investment. I'd say go to Noteflight, it's a free online notation software that's almost as good as Sibelius. It's fairly easy to use and you can play things back once you write them.

If you decide to use notation software, don't become dependent on the playback feature. It's only MIDI sounds. That's not what real instruments sound like. If you want to get a real feeling for the sound of the instruments, go find some concerts featuring the instruments you want to write for. The sound is completely different. If you want to write for an orchestra, go to an orchestra and listen to what those instruments can do. If there's a university near where you live that has a music school, try to find a bulletin board or check the website to see all the concerts that will take place. If there's a composition department, then there will be showcase events of student compositions, so those will be really great to go to.

If you're willing to invest a lot of money, you could buy a few composition books that can tell you all sorts of neat stuff about different instruments. Their range, their tone, how they're played, everything you need to know.

Another thing you could do is find a mentor. If you can find a local composer who isn't too busy and isn't in dire need of money, that would be the best possible scenario. If that happened, I would curse you for your incredible luck. The big shots in the composing world are all way too busy. A lot of them are professors and just don't have the time to take on students outside the university. You could contact composition grad students, but they're also quite busy and charge a lot for lessons.

If you're looking into songwriting, a local band might be a better choice than a classically trained composer. Of course, it is always best to have classical training when it comes to music, but quite a few people write songs without much training at all.

I'm trying to think of what else to say, but my mind is blanking. I'll post if I think of anything else. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Felidae
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheBlindPianist on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 am

I compose a little on piano as well.

I made three compositions, but only remember two of them.

I cannot write them down, as I do not know how.

I'm blind, and braille sheet music is difficult to learn on your own. I have no one to teach me, so I just have the books, but don't read them.

One of my compositions was just a whole bunch of random notes.

Anyone want to here two of them? I haven't recorded my first one yet.

Just remember this: If I'm blind and I never write my music down, you can do it too. :)
Never let life bring you down
Stand up and face it
Don't turn arround
:) :)

TheBlindPianist
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!