Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters » What latest tech excites me? » RPG: Season of Giving 2020 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!) » A question about 'hyperspace travel' and its use as a weapon »

Players Wanted: Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D » mahou shoujo rp » Avolair: Academy For The Supernatural [NEW][OPEN] »

Pirates llHearts of Oakll IC

a topic in Uncategorized Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.

Pirates llHearts of Oakll IC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby That One Guy on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 pm

“Alright I’m signed on! But tell me one thing, how exactly did you manage to bloody steal two ships?”

Arturo stared at the English man who just singed a contract to enter into his service. “I believe you signed onto one of my three crews Henson, which mean you had better mind the way with which you speak to your Captain….and I am borrowing them, to be clear. NEXT.” The English man was intimidated enough and scampered away, Arturo cracked a smile. “Sign here and countless pieces of Gold are for you to keep on our voyage.” The next man hesitated before asking.

“Wait, so how did you manage to get two bloody boats?”

“Ah smart man, you asked before you signed. But it still gets you nowhere, sign the document and you might be able to find out later.” Arturo pushed the paper towards him, and the English man signed. “NEXT.” He boomed, at the moment the Captain was lounging at the table in a pub, a long line of people waiting to sign up for the voyage, in which the skill of the Captain had acquired not one extra, but two extra ships! There was wealth to be had obviously. Next to him was the Quartermaster, also taking signatures. It had been a long night, and Arturo was tired of answering everyone’s questions, so he had narrowed down his charm to sign onto the ship into a simple ‘sign here’. Arturo was getting impatient, but luckily they only needed a few more, and after another five minutes, they were done.

“Madre de dios, I have never liked the way that we privateers sign up drunk bastards onto a crew.” He had never done it this way, he had always gone and found the people he wanted; wherever they were he went and found them, made them join his crew. It made little sense to be doing it in a different way, especially if you wanted to be the best. To do that, you need the best crew, and the best cew didn’t come from a pub per say. He and his Quartermaster made their way out, and he squinted in the light of the….sun, the sun?! “What is that English expression I hear constantly? ‘Bloody hell.’” It was day already, the sun was peaking up over the horizon, a three quarters of the way out of hiding. They had apparently spent the entire night rounding up enough people for two crews. He stood there, glaring whole heartedly, willing the sun to go backwards. Arturo liked his sleep, and he was a grumpy man he did not get it. His mood ruined, he shoved his hat lower on his head and practically stomped the rest of the way to his ship, a sour look on his face, ignoring anything his friend said to him.

Arturo had yet to tell anyone what this plan involving three ships was all about, he hadn’t even told Graves what the plan was. But so far the only thing they had to do was commandeer one ship, because Arturo had struck a deal with the now crew-less Captain Kidd; which gave him one ship to start with.

He went up the rampart to his ship, and someone shouted ‘Captain on deck!’. He trudged on and shoved his own list to someone; he wasn’t sure who, mumbling to make sure they all showed up. “WE LEAVE AT NOON.” He bellowed, before slamming his cabin door shut. Within minutes he had washed his face and clonked out in his bed.

-HALF PAST NOON-

The Captain’s quarter’s door slammed open, and a giant stretch and yawn came from the Captain himself as he came out to view the deck of his ship. They were sailing smoothly, the wind was good, and two ships were flanking them, good. “Mr. Graves, call the ship to attention if you will, I need the whole crew on this ship to listen to what I am about to say.” Arturo leaned on the railing, gripping it. “It is time they learned what the plan is…..” Mr. Graves did what was instructed, and once everyone was present he began.

“As I am sure you all have heard we are in fact seeking out El Dorado.” No one seemed surprised, “A one Captain Kidd attempted the same some weeks ago, but failed. He had a poor plan, and his main mistake was taking his ship out into Mermaid infested waters. The Mermaids, which are of the female persuasion, are man eating whores that now have the map. How will we get this map back without driving our ship into their waters you ask? Good question, it is impossible, which is why we are going to do it anyway. Even if it is a mistake, and it is on all accounts a recklessly stupid thing to do.” Any other normal crew would have erupted in protest, but Arturo’s crew knew better, and they also knew that the Captain never really did anything stupid. “However, lucky for us, we go in with not two, but three ships.” He gestured to the ships some hundred yards away. “They shall be our bait, and we are going to send them in ahead of us in a different part of the land, dragging Fishy whores with them. That means less whores biting at our necks. But while this does much to help us, we still have a difficult job to do. We need to capture one of the Mermaids. And to do this a few of us will need to go out in a raft….” He stared at his men. “I myself will be going in said raft, and I require two other men to go with me, do I have any volunteers?” He covered his Quartermaster’s mouth, “I need you to stay and manage my ship, and should I not be back by promptly….” He made to say as though he would sacrifice himself and make his first mate take them home, but instead he said. “I need you to come and rescue our ‘arses’ if you will…” He made fun of English terminology with his first mate often. And while the Spanish and English were not supposed to be on good terms, the two of them seemed to be. He looked out onto his crew again, “Anyone?” He bellowed for a second time.
(°□°)┻━┻
FUCK TABLES

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

That One Guy
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Pirates llHearts of Oakll IC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blizzard on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 am

Graves had been up all night, and so far, all day, preparing the crews of the Bloody X, as well as the Captain's two borrowed ships. That practically made Arturo an admiral. They had signed on plenty of recruits for the journey, but Arturo still hadn't told him what they were needed for. But, knowing the captain, it was probably something like invading France, so Graves didn't question.

It was now a half past noon, judging by the sun, and Graves stood outside the captain's cabin, overseeing the crew go about their business, every now and then glancing at the helmsman, or over to the other ships. He checked off items on his mental checklist as the crew got them done, though he really didn't need to. For the most part, Arturo's crew was the best he'd served on, though he wouldn't let them know that. They would think he's gotten soft.

Just then, the captain emerged from his cabin with a yawn. At least one of them had gotten some sleep. Graves had been awake for nearly 30 hours now, but was running on some very black coffee, so that'd have to suffice. He tried to fight the contagious yawn of the captain, but to no avail. Out of respect, he kept it small and silent.

"Captain." Graves addressed Arturo formally, just before he spoke.

“Mr. Graves, call the ship to attention if you will, I need the whole crew on this ship to listen to what I am about to say. It is time they learned what the plan is…”
Arturo's words, though riddled with sleepiness, still had the same charm to them, a trait Graves knew had saved both of their lives in the past, and he was glad for it. Graves, on the other hand, had a voice a little more befitting of his age. It was rough, edgy, but not angry. At least not yet. Though his West Country accent is still apparent, the years spent abroad and with foreigners has slowly whittled it away.
"Aye, Captain." He nodded to a cabin boy down the stairs to fetch everyone, while he stepped forward, and put his hands on the rail of the rampart, bellowing loudly above the wind: "Attention! Captain on deck!" In a few moments, the ship was silent, sound only emanating from the waves below.

The captain began his speech, revealing their search for El Dorado, the mythical city of gold. Graves had had his suspicions, but now they were confirmed. It was a bold idea, what with the captain explaining to them about mermaids. Graves thought to himself that the whole notion was foolish, and they'd be better off, like he thought earlier, raiding France; however, he deferred to the captain's judgement, knowing he knew best. Arturo came to the point about going out into the raft and catching a mermaid, then went on to ask for volunteers to go with him. Before Graves could get a word out, however, Arturo silenced him with a hand over his mouth, whispering,
"“I need you to stay and manage my ship, and should I not be back by promptly…I need you to come and rescue our ‘arses’ if you will…”" Graves settled down at this. The Captain was right. If Graves went, he knew he'd have to leave the ship to be managed by someone less competent, which was a big no-no with this ship. Graves had a soft spot for her.

"Save your ass eh? So nothin's changed 'round here?" He gave a soft laugh, and turned back to the crew mentally deciding which ones he'd draft, if none volunteered.
"Peace is the absence lack of war."
"I like to reserve my mouth for kissing, alcohol, and words. Not always in that order, but you get the point."
Blizzard's Music

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Blizzard
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kenzi on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Jacqueline had woken far earlier than the others that slept around her, in order to leave enough time to get ready for the day in private. Keeping her gender a secret on a ship packed with men was incredibly difficult, but over many years she had managed to create a system and it had yet to fail her.

After she had bound her chest and tied her hair back, she slipped on a relatively clean shirt and pants before tossing the others into a bucket of dirty water to be washed later. She yanked her leather pirate hat down snugly on her head and excited the belly of the ship. As she did so, she could hear the grumble and groans of a number of the men waking up but she was already gone.

She spent the morning mostly in silence, going about her business to make sure all the cannons were in top shape in case an attack were to happen. High noon came fast, but she hardly noticed as she continued to check that the last cannon was secured.

“Move it, Jack! Some of us have real work to do.”

A strong hand connected to her back, shoving her forward so that she hit the side of the railing hard. It knocked the wind out of her for a second before she turned to glare coldly at the disgusting behemoth of a man named Thatcher as he walked by chortling repulsively.

“Jerking off your buddies below deck isn’t real work, Thatcher.” Jacqueline said bluntly with a cool smile. Her words and personality had become more vulgar over the years, but it was necessary if she wanted to fit in among the crew.

Thatcher turned towards her, pudgy face contorted in anger, but he was stopped from responding by Graves.

"Attention! Captain on deck!" In a few moments, the ship was silent, sound only emanating from the waves below.

Jacqueline didn’t waist a second longer looking at the repugnant face of Thatcher and instead turned to gaze upon a much better looking man: Captain Arturo. The majority of pirates that she had met over the years were much older and weathered, and even those closer to her own age were too repulsive and vulgar to spark her interest. This was fortunate because had she been attracted to someone she wasn’t sure how easy it would be to hide, especially when dressed as a man… and appearing as a gay man on a pirate ship was essentially suicide. This ship, however, had a small handful of surprisingly attractive men; Captain Arturo being one of them.

“As I am sure you all have heard we are in fact seeking out El Dorado.” No one seemed surprised, “A one Captain Kidd attempted the same some weeks ago, but failed. He had a poor plan, and his main mistake was taking his ship out into Mermaid infested waters. The Mermaids, which are of the female persuasion, are man eating whores that now have the map. How will we get this map back without driving our ship into their waters you ask? Good question, it is impossible, which is why we are going to do it anyway. Even if it is a mistake, and it is on all accounts a recklessly stupid thing to do.” Any other normal crew would have erupted in protest, but Arturo’s crew knew better, and they also knew that the Captain never really did anything stupid. “However, lucky for us, we go in with not two, but three ships.” He gestured to the ships some hundred yards away. “They shall be our bait, and we are going to send them in ahead of us in a different part of the land, dragging Fishy whores with them. That means less whores biting at our necks. But while this does much to help us, we still have a difficult job to do. We need to capture one of the Mermaids. And to do this a few of us will need to go out in a raft….” He stared at his men. “I myself will be going in said raft, and I require two other men to go with me, do I have any volunteers?” He covered his Quartermaster’s mouth, “I need you to stay and manage my ship, and should I not be back by promptly….” He made to say as though he would sacrifice himself and make his first mate take them home, but instead he said. “I need you to come and rescue our ‘arses’ if you will…” He made fun of English terminology with his first mate often. And while the Spanish and English were not supposed to be on good terms, the two of them seemed to be. He looked out onto his crew again, “Anyone?” He bellowed for a second time.

Jacqueline listened carefully, hazel-green eyes widening slightly as she heard the Captain’s plan. Mermaids? She hadn’t realized they would be capturing a mermaid, something which was considered incredibly dangerous. When the Captain asked a second time if anyone would volunteer to join him in the boat she hesitated, something which was unusual for the brazen woman. On one hand, it would help her look good to the captain and the news of her (as Jack) capturing a mermaid may just reach her father… but on the other she would be nearly one-on-one with captain and she wasn’t sure if it was a good idea considering her femininity could be seen the longer you looked at her without the backdrop of sweaty dirty pirates… Plus there was the issue of being eaten by mermaids…

“Count me in, Captain!” Jacqueline bellowed loudly, leaning against the side of the boat in a casual fashion as though to suggest it was no big deal. Inside she was already cursing herself for the decision.

Kenzi
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcasm on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm

"My Dear sister I do believe I've won!" The sound of sweet laughter could be heard throughtout the small water filled cove that the Mermaids were currently resting in. The mermaid that was indeed speaking and giggling so loudly was at that very moment resting from a race she had (once again) won.

She didn't like bragging, but how could she not when she was able to swim so fast that she sometimes thought she was a wave herself! The fair skinned and tawny haired mermaid would emit another chuckle and lightly raise her cerulean blue fin up to splash a small bit of water at one of her sisters that was giggling next to her.

The giggling girl next to her would roll her eyes and then poke the speedy mermaid with a smirk."So you're fast. How is that going to help us with anything dear Sister." The dark haired mermaid next to her would cross her arms and then begin to float casually on the clear blue water, gazing up at her sister with questioning green eyes. The swift and cocky mermaid would lower her head halfway into the cool water, covering her face up so that only her eyes and nose were visible.

"Because. If there's ever a time when a human "man" should ever get the best of us, I will be the one to swim towards his ship and make him plunge to his doom. Don't worry love, I'm sure you'll find something you're good at too. One day. Hopefully?" The brunette mermaid would listen and then let out a "Phph", sound of both annoyance and amusement at her sisters words."You are REALLY going to regret saying that scallop tosser~!" The lighter haired mermaid would let out another giggle and then submerge her head fully under the water as she waited for her sister to chase her.

As the young girl's head vanished from the surface of the water, she would smile broadly revealing her sparkling white teeth as she peered into the glittering sea. Several dolphin were out and about, swimming merrily with a few of her sisters, and as one passed by her, she gave it a small curtsy( the best one could do underwater) in an almost mocking way, and the dolphin would spin around in circles several times before brushing up agaisnt the girls tail. She would gently press a hand towards it's fin and then grasp it tightly before patting the animal with her other hand to let it know it could go and take her along with it.

The dolphin reared up as if it was a stallion of the sea and whisked the girl and itself fast towards the northern edge of the Island that held the cove the Mermaid's rested and lived. She would swim with the friendly creature for several minutes before releasing it and moving to pull herself on top of a dark rock. The dolphin would follow her and swim around the large rock several times, letting out a few playful screeches as the light haired girl smiled.

"I do wish something exciting would happen. Something ...that would make my blood boil with....happiness and excitement itself. Ad..adren...oh what's the word....bother never mind. I just want to feel.....SOMETHING." The girl would let a cry of surprise as a large wave would hit her from the back and cause her to fall off the rock, ending her short fantasy before it even really begun.

"Suppose we better get back then.Another day gone...."
p

Sarcasm
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sophie Marie Tarasov on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Sofia woke up every morning just about dawn. Most of the men were dead asleep around this time and she could simply wrap her shawl around her shoulders as she left the 'guests' cabin. Her hair fell over shoulder in lose, natural ringlet curls that moved ever so slightly in the gentle morning's breeze. Quietly she made her way to the quarterdeck where she would watch the sun rise over the water. Even though she had now seen the sight more times than she could count it was still breath taking. Maybe she would never become used to it. Often she wrote about it in letters to her mother or in her diary to Edward. Nearly every night she wrote to them both.Sofia desperately missed her family and even though they had stopped at a few ports in the past few months she wouldn't dare send the letters. Undoubtedly her mother had disowned her by now. How shameful it would be to have a daughter who had run off to sail around the world with a bunch of low class men.

Pirates. She thought with a mischievous smile. Some mornings she woke up and still couldn't believe it. She'd really joined a pirate crew and had sailed through the Atlantic much farther than she had ever dreamed she could. Oh, yes. She was sure of it, her mother had definitely disowned her. Still, the young woman couldn't help but write her letters as if nothing in the world was wrong. Sofia loved her new life. She was no longer criticized or chastised by every passing person. No one here cared whether she was married or not, whether she practiced this way or that, and so long as she continued to prove her value Arturo treated her with the same respect as he would any other associate. Then again, maybe she could marry one of these pirates. Not for love, of course but just for the legalities. Then her parents could be relatively happy. Granted he'd be no prince charming but at least they wouldn't have a single twenty-five year old daughter anymore.

Sofia rolled her eyes at the thought. Maybe she'd pick the oldest, ugliest sailor she could find. To hell with what her parents wanted, she'd marry the man and let him have every pound she was worth- which was a rather large amount. Any man to marry Sofia could become quite rich, just another reason she never wanted it to happen. How could she ever know if the marriage was for love? With a small sigh Sofia turned to see the Captain himself and a few others making their way onto the ship. 'Where have they been?" She wondered, stepping away from the rail to get a better look. Suddenly she remembered that she was still in her night clothes; a corset and loose skirt with only her shawl to cover her. Stepping back into the shadows she waited until at least Arturo had left before going back down the steps and to her room.

-later into the afternoon -

Sofia sat her small writing desk jotting down a few notes. A ship's surgeon really didn't have all that much to do on any normal day. Of course, if Arturo managed to get into any trouble at all she'd be swamped. One fight, even the tiniest, would more than likely end with several wounded, and some rather whiney, men. At which point she would have to harass and nag Arturo into stopping at an appropriate port for supplies. This often led to heated spanish conversations that very nearly ended with her 'walking the plank' so to speak. However! On any average day she wouldn't have hardly a thing to do. So lately she had immersed herself in studies. Arturo cared very little what she asked for or what she needed so long as she did her job and kept her value. Therefor she had a rather small library filled with very rare and valuable books. A few classic stories and adventures but mostly the latest and greatest of medical works. A few published works and papers by Potts', Hunter, and other notorious medical minds of the time. She would read and read the day away while taking notes and writing down her own ideas and hypotheses.

A loud call from the top deck broke her focus. Suddenly Sofia was aware of the extremely uncomfortable position she had been sitting in for the past hour or so and carefully stretched to ease her aching muscles. She rubbed gently at her eyes as a small yawn escaped her lips. Standing she stretched one last time before heading up to see what was going on.

There all of the men stood waiting and listening as Arturo spoke. As usual there was a charming and exciting flare about his words. As if no matter how mad the man sounded following him half way around the world, probably to your death, made perfect sense. A talent she knew he was very aware of and used often. Mermaids? She still couldn't believe they were real, not yet anyways. Who could imagine something like that? Just the very thought sent her scientists' mind spinning. She wanted to go but highly doubted Arturo would allow it. She would more than likely only get in his way.

One of the men volunteered and Sofia stood on her tiptoes to see who. She smiled when she saw Jack with his hand raised, she liked Jack. Carefully she made her way through the crowd of men to stand by Arturo. "Está loco, Arturo. Las sirenas no existen." She whispered quietly, "But, just in case they do, could I go?" Generally Sofia would never ask such a favor or Arturo, as far as she was concerned he had already done so much for her that she could never pay him back. But, the thought of seeing a real mermaid was just too enticing.
Last edited by Sophie Marie Tarasov on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it then change your attitude. Don't complain."

Sophie Marie Tarasov
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 am

Jesse 'Monkey James

ImageStrike of dawn the men rustled, as usual, and Jesse was soon called to fetch a bucket of water, as usual. Didn’t the men understand that he was a promoted Gunner now? An officer almost, in charges of something important, that was what he was. But it seemed to no avail that the men were used to Jesse being a powder monkey who took orders from just about anyone. Jesse sighed heavily and groggily went out to fetch said bucket, seeing Jack already awake, why in the world anyone would wake up so early on purpose Jesse had no idea. But that was Jack for you, meticulous and orderly when it came to work. Jesse had to stay on his toes in order to match Jack’s skill, which he was only barely able to do on a good day due to his having been a powder monkey for so long.

“Here you go, wash your ugly mugs with the water that a Gunner had to go get. This is the last morning I will be doing this!” Jesse swore, complaining about his treatment and watching as it went in one ear of men and out the other. Jesse pulled his hair into a messy pony tail he usually had, and headed over to the cabin boy’s small cabin. “Up and at ‘em boys, you’re on a ship not at yer mums! And on Captain Arturo’s ship you work!” He clapped his hands, giving them the benefit of waking them up, which was a better alternative to someone getting mad and wondering where they were, then finding that they were still asleep, cozy in their hammocks, their bullocks would be red with lashes at that point.

He watched them get up and stretch, they were stiff and still not used to the hammocks, these boys were recent, as unfortunately the last few had taken their leave for another ship. Captain Arturo had given Jesse the duty of finding replacements, and he liked to think he’d done the captain proud. The boys were desperate and dirty when he found them, but those sorts of kids made the hard working ones, so he offered them a new life on the sea. “Grab yer buckets and get scrubbing, and next time you have to be up earlier, the men were supposed to be brought a bucket of water to wash their ugly faces a quarter hour ago. I saved your hides this morning, but you might not get lucky tomorrow.” He left them to their work, feeling quite important and even holding his head high. To think, he had started as something similar to them!

He went one level bellow decks and found that Jack was already hard at work, checking the guns, Jesse decided to go ahead and check inventory then. He worked silently; honestly the work between the two Gunners was just that most of the time, silent. He didn’t know why, but the bloke had one heck of a bad attitude at times, he supposed it had to do on the account that Jack looked sort of feminine, and was teased from time to time. Although everyone knew that Jack was man, so Jesse didn’t see what all the fuss was about.

By the time the Captain arrived and the two whole crews came to their rightful ships (how the captain managed these things Jesse would never know or guess) and noon came by. They got onto the water and started their voyage to lord knows where. The thing was, the Captain was a bit crazy, but when you listened to him give speeches and talk, he seemed perfectly sane, or maybe it was just that he made you slightly crazy with him, and you believed whatever he said.

This was shown quite well when the captain made his speech, mermaids, El Dorito (or something like that) and volunteers to be eaten. See? No man in his right mind would volunteer for such a thing! Or go along on a crew with such a voyage! But evidently the Captain was working his magic, and Jack was first to volunteer. Jesse shook his head when no one else spoke up, and seeing him speak to Sofia confirmed that he was going to pick the next person. Who do you guess this person was going to be? Him of course, and the Captain would shout ‘Monkey! You’re coming along with me!’, and he’d have to go. The Captain knew Jesse as ‘Monkey’ and so did most on the ship, so his name was easily said and called for. It was a catchy nickname, and thus got him picked on all the time. So Jesse saved the Captain the trouble of calling his name and raised his hand. “Aye Cap’tin!” He bellowed.

>Marionette<
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nima on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Alvisio had spent much of his night conducting his paid minions to load the ship with foodstuffs—fresh vegetables from the market, especially cabbage; chickens and a cow; barrels of cereals, smoked meats, beans, and of course, wine and beer. The Mediterranean and Adriatic were relatively small playgrounds compared to journey he would now face, and obviously less abundant in safe ports for restocking for miles. He surveyed the hired help from his position in the galley, scolding any that knocked over supplies with a jeweled backhand to the face.

Alóra!What are you fools doing? Dim as night! Why am I paying you…? Be careful with that flint. We don’t want any unnecessary sparks,” Alvisio trailed off, going back to his work, sorting freshly cut herbs for drying. He mumbled an apology under his breath. He didn’t like unnecessary people in the kitchen of the galley, especially incompetent ones. The men went scurrying along to get more supplies from the port. He took a swig from his flask of Grappa, a Venetian brandy, always at arm’s reach, to ease his nerves.

He was thankful for his wealth; spices were not economical, but necessary to façade the cases of mold, staleness, or perhaps even maggots that would surely arise, weeks ahead onboard. Whole shanks of dry-cured ham hung from the hooks above the brick stove, glowing like jewels in the candle light; an epicurean treasure that sent Alvisio’s heart aflutter. Imagining the buttery slices of prosciutto melting in his mouth was enough to make him flustered.

Those foods only began better with age, and were safely sealed in a frosting of brine. The atmosphere of the galley was alive with the fragrances of sweet lemon peel, garlic, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, sage, lavender, honey and port, among others. Alas, such vibrancy could not last forever—perhaps a couple of weeks at sea before it all began spoiling. Alvisio would dry, pickle and salt what he could. Workers moved gigantic oaken barrels of liquor, water, beans, and of course, pasta, into the storage below.

“WE LEAVE AT NOON.” He bellowed, before slamming his cabin door shut.

A voice pealed from above, colored by Spain. All activity stopped for a moment. The workers looked at each other. They were nearly halfway loaded.

“Incùrite! We haven’t much time!” Alvisio spoke in a collected but aggravated tone that carried over the hustle and bustle of the crowded galley. The workers looked and hastened slightly—they were already exhausted. With the last heads of cabbage and colorful radicchio fastened into place, Alvisio brandished his sack of coin, paying each of the workers liberally, if only to hurry them off the ship.

Running his fingers through his hair, Alvisio began to check off each ingredient with their quantities. Almost immediately after Alvisio had checked the manifest, he was called above deck. Blowing out the candle, he quickly made his way to the assembly, filling into the crowd to listen to the captain. He took another kiss of grappa, as if to prepare himself for his fate.

Alvisio was captivated by Arturo’s speech. A city made from gold? Mermaids? He thought. He would’ve settled for a nice sugar cane business, but gold would suffice. He had only seen pictures, those illuminated on fable books he read in school, safe in the Palazzo Grimani. Alvisio almost thought of raising his hand, the liquor encouraging him. As two had already volunteered, he felt it unnecessary. He raised his hand halfheartedly nonetheless, simpering.

Nima
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:59 am

Richard Merrywether was not the type to abandon his post because of something so simple as being at a dock. The Bloody X was his ship, dammit, and he would be crucified before he let any other carpenter lay hands on her. (Of course, he didn't let Arturo know about his opinion on the X's state of ownership.)

His attention was hardly necessary; though. Every last inch of the X's underbelly had been tended to in an almost obsessive-compulsive manner, every chip patched, every worn plank replaced, every part of the main deck holystoned. Even the gaps between the planks had been freshly tarred - the calloused hands of the carpenter had dots of drying tar on them to prove it. Nevertheless, he paced out the bilges of the ship's lowest deck, checking each pump one by one, before he finally began making his way up to the main deck.

"WE LEAVE AT NOON."

And none too soon, apparently.

For the next half hour, Merrywether busied himself with checking the woodwork on the top decks, and, once content with that, checking the masts. When the captain called the rest of the crew to a meeting, the carpenter was on the ratlines, checking the bowsprit for signs of wear (there were none). Merrywether carefully made his way to the deck again, and merged with the rest of the crew just in time to hear about the tale of El Dorado and the Mermaids.

'Oh dear, this again,' Richard thought to himself. Kidd's ships had been wiped out by the things, and his plan was to bring one aboard!? If they were lucky, they would be torn apart before the ship was... Just like the first vessel in Kidd's expedition.

"Cap'n, if this's yer idea, I will half no part a'it. Someone's gonna half tew hold tha Bloody X tagether while ye and yer volunteers are out catchin' a mermaid. No doubt her kin'll be less than pleased once they find out ye caught one." The carpenter twiddled his thumbs nervously. "Wi' all due respect, cappin."
From the depths, I return!

Cypher
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby That One Guy on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 pm

The first to volunteer was the new Gunner, Jack. And after that a couple of people shuffled. It was funny how it worked, mermaids were fearsome according to legend, and surely every man on this ship didn’t want to be eaten. But the curiosity of wanting to see one, it daunted on all of them. As many legends as there were about mermaids being deadly, there were just as many about them being beautiful. The offer Arturo extended was probably a once in a life time chance. And as he nodded to Jack, someone he did not expect approached him.

Sofia was the ship’s surgeon, and the only woman on board. He had made it clear to the crew that Sofia was not to be thought of as a woman by them, she was their surgeon, but such a thing was difficult when in the presence of such a beautiful senorita. Everything from her long silky hair, to her slightly sad eyes and supple lips probably enticed the men on this ship, plus she was one of the only ones with a strict hygiene regime. Arturo was aware that she was a widow, and had originally thought that she had lost desire for luster in life, regardless of how beautiful those sad eyes made her look. But she had proven him wrong, and asked to come along on his ship as surgeon. Few ships had surgeons, and Arturo would be damned if he’d pass up the chance to acquire one, but before he had told her she could come along, he couldn’t help but tease her a bit by spewing nonsense about women being bad luck at sea. It made that passionate Spanish blood resurface and demand a position on his ship. So far she had yet to disappoint at all, on any other request he’d oblige in a heartbeat, but not this one.

“Por supuesto que puede, además, necesitamos a alguien para hacer frente a la belleza de la sirena.” Of course you may, besides, we need someone to counter the beauty of the mermaids.

And he turned away calmly, satisfied with the fact that he had just told the ship’s surgeon that she was simply too valuable to risk being eaten by jealous mermaid. Besides, she’d see the merwench when they brought her back on board…..wait. Arturo rubbed his chin as he glanced at the retreating form of Sofia, gone to get ready, she had thanked him. But she wouldn’t be thanking him if he had just told her no….damnit! Arturo was so used to granting Sofia everthing and anything that he had failed to notice that he had done it once more. He hid any signs of this by nodding impatiently as Monkey raised his hand. “Yes of course you’re going, we need a monkey to row the boat. Alvisio, why not. Merryweather….what did you expect after telling me tails about what Captain Kidd was up to? You’ll get your revenge soon enough when we bring the mer-wench on board!” He clapped his hands, “So I have my volunteers! The rest of you, not a word of this to the other ships, we should reach our destination within the week if I am not mistaken! And your Captain is rarely mistaken isn’t he?”

He glanced at his first mate, “All of you besides the volunteers, you are dismissed, volunteers are to come into my cabin so we may go over our plan. And Merryweather, we need you too, don’t give me that look you aren’t going remember?!” He clapped his Quartemaster on the shoulder as he turned around, “Get some rest Graves, I can take it from here.” And he turned off, opening his cabin door wide open and making his way to his desk, a map was laid out on top.

That One Guy
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kenzi on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Javier stood at the back of the crowd, watching as everyone shifted uncomfortably when the captain asked for volunteers to go on a mermaid kidnapping mission. Javier wasn't the most intelligent person on the ship, and he knew it, but he did have enough sense to know that messing with mermaids was not a good idea. Fortunately, he was spared having to volunteer (or being forced to) when Jack, Jesse, and the cook threw their hands into the air. His dark brown eyes flicked to look at Jack for a moment, watching as he leaned against the side of the ship. The guy really was scrawny, even for a skinny guy, but held himself with more confidence and attitude then a lot of the men on the ship. Odd fellow, though Javier had never personally had a problem with him.

His attention was drawn back to the front of the ship as the men around him started nudging each other and quietly whispering crude things. Looking up he spotted Sofia, the ship's surgeon. She really was a beautiful woman, Spanish to boot, with a kind and brave heart. Sofia was the only woman on the ship and could have looked like an old hag and still been seen as attractive to the men, but that was not the case. She truly was beautiful, whether she was the only woman for miles or not.

He understood their conversation perfectly, as Spanish was his first language, and was a little shocked to hear that the captain had agreed for her to come. Moving through the crowd, he made his way towards Sofia as she walked away from the captain.

Jacqueline hadn't noticed Javier staring at her because she was too busy watching Jesse and Alvisio raise their hands. Jesse was a nice kid, though she was careful not to give him special treatment, and she instantly wished he hadn't raised his hand for the dangerous mission. With Alvisio, on the other hand, she was just plain confused. The cook wanted to come on the mermaid kidnapping mission? Seriously?

"Yes of course you’re going, we need a monkey to row the boat. Alvisio, why not. Merryweather….what did you expect after telling me tails about what Captain Kidd was up to? You’ll get your revenge soon enough when we bring the mer-wench on board!” He clapped his hands, “So I have my volunteers! The rest of you, not a word of this to the other ships, we should reach our destination within the week if I am not mistaken! And your Captain is rarely mistaken isn’t he?”

Jack chimed in with the rest of the crew with a "No, Captain!", peering out from underneath her weathered hat. The sea spray was hitting the side of her face, the taste of salt filling her mouth, so she pushed herself off the railing to avoid it.

He glanced at his first mate, “All of you besides the volunteers, you are dismissed, volunteers are to come into my cabin so we may go over our plan. And Merryweather, we need you too, don’t give me that look you aren’t going remember?!” He clapped his Quartemaster on the shoulder as he turned around, “Get some rest Graves, I can take it from here.” And he turned off, opening his cabin door wide open and making his way to his desk, a map was laid out on top.

Jack followed after the captain, pushing roughly past the filthy pirates that blocked her path. After a moment she managed to break through and climbed the steps up to the cabin and walked in after the Captain. Her hair was still secured in the same low pony tail as the other men, and her baggy clothing was continuing to do its job of hiding her curves from sight.

"What's the plan, Captain?" She asked, forcing her husky voice to have an edge to it though the French accent still clung to her words.

Back outside, Javier caught up with Sofia. His raven black hair was thrown messily back, lips curved into a flirtatious and kind smile, "Morning, senorita. I couldn't help but over hearing that you intend on going with the captain and the others to capture the mermaid. Very brave, though I imagine they will become quite jealous of you." He said coyly, though it did not sound rehearsed or creepy like some others would have made it sound. He genuinely enjoyed Sofia's company, though couldn't resist flirting with the stunning woman.

Kenzi
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sophie Marie Tarasov on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:21 pm

"Gracias, Arturo." She replied with a pleasantly surprised smile. Sofia had thought it would take much more work to get the captain to allow her to go. Surely this adventure was no place for a lady and all too often her Captain enjoyed toying and teasing with his replies. Yes, she did usually get what she wanted but she usually had to pester him a bit more for it. Quickly she turned away to go and get ready, afraid that by remaining for too long he could, and would, change his mind. Excitement fluttered through her as her imagination took off. She'd been a pirate for a while now but she had yet to really do anything grand or exciting. Mostly she remained on the ship or went to buy a few supplies when they stopped at a port. Now she was actually getting to go on an adventure, she'd climb into a...longboat, was it? She couldn't remember. Then they would be off! Whether she believed mermaids were real or not mattered little for she was sure that Arturo would not let the small expedition be boring or dull. The man did very little without at least a tad of flourish. 'Maybe it's the Spaniard in him.' She wondered idly.

"Morning, senorita."

For a second Sofia's breath caught in her throat. It was small moments like this, small things such as 'senorita', that painfully reminded her that her Edward was gone forever. Married spanish women upgraded to senora, widows even continued the name for a few months after their husbands death, but enough time had passed since her losing Edward that she was once more a senorita. Fortunately the moment was very brief and there was a rather good chance that Javier wouldn't even notice. She turned to him with a playfully annoyed smile, "Oh, cállate. Between you and Arturo one would think I was Aphrodite herself. We should have stayed on land longer, you men obviously didn't get enough female company to uncloud your judgements." Laughing lightly she descended the steps that would take her one level lower in the ship. A sharp right turn and a few more steps and she would be to her small cabin.

Sofia stayed in the ship's guest cabin, located just beneath captain's and about a third of the size. Often she could hear his footsteps and imagined him pacing once or twice. The man did have a rather large amount of things to pace about. "Gracias por camina a me a mi dormitorio, Javier. Give me just a few moments to change. You could walk up to the Captain's cabin with me." With another smile she disappeared into her bedroom. Pirate's surgeon or not she still often wore dresses. Granted she rarely wore anything fancier than a close-bodied gown, it was high time she got used to a pair of pants. She'd had a few outfits tailored behind Arturo's back just for the occasion. The pants were close fitting and buttoned just above her waist, her shirt was ruffled at the top and tucked into the pants comfortably as to not get in the way- with the loose sleeves falling to rest against her shoulders. She'd bought a pair of women's riding boots that fit up to her calf snugly and had flat heels. A corseted vest buttoned over her shirt and supported her just as her usual corset did without the discomfort and limitations. For a moment or two she studied herself in the mirror. What would everyone think? Hopefully at least Arturo would approve and be less likely to suggest that taking a woman along was a mistake.

Taking a deep breath she stepped back outside. "Okay, I'm ready. Time to go find out what Arturo's plan is." She smiled and took Javier's arm as they began walking back to the top deck. "You know, Javier, you should really considering joining us. You're far too handsome and brave to stay here and miss out on all of the adventure." She replied, stopping in front of the Captain's doorway. "Of course, you don't have to. But, I think you might regret it if you don't." She turned to smile at him before stepping inside the cabin.

"Que empiece la aventura, Arturo!" Sofia exclaimed, the excitement making her bolder and more talkative than usual.

Sophie Marie Tarasov
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blizzard on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Graves had barely heard the captain telling him to get some sleep, he was already heading up to make one last check on the helmsman, before heading to his own cabin. Once inside, he sat down at his desk and sighed. He knew he needed rest, but his body wouldn't let him. The stress of age was beginning to get to him, and he figured that this voyage would be his last whether he survived or not, which was rather unlikely. Though he kept himself in peak physical condition, the truth was that he barely kept himself up to par with the crew. He was getting old, and he knew it. He rested his head in his hands as he thought back to his younger days. Back when Arturo was still suckling on his mother, Graves was sailing the Caribbean, bedding women that Arturo could possibly call mother. He smiled at the thought.

He glanced out the port window, eyeing the ship sailing alongside them. He felt a small pang of guilt in using two whole crews as sacrifice, but he'd done worse and it soon faded. He took out his journal, and began writing.

Went another night without sleep, but it's not so bad. We'll be sailing for quite some time, and I'm in a position to afford myself a tad of laziness to catch up. The crew had better be in shape when I'm done though, I'll not let them follow my example. Arturo wants us to sail for El Dorado, the fabled city of gold. As much as I trust the captain, I still feel this is bullocks. We even need to fetch the map from mermaids. Now, I'm not fool enough to disbelieve in these things, but I call bullocks on the whole voyage. With three ships and this crew, we could likely invade France, with better odds of success.

It doesn't matter. Arturo is the captain, not I, so it's his word that goes. I could never be cut out for captain. I lack the spark that Arturo has; the spark that makes people follow you to the gates of hell and back. No, I'm more cut out for the day-to-day grind of making things actually happen on this ship. That's fine by me.

This will likely be my last voyage. If I survive(not likely), I think I'll take my (large) share of the spoils, and retire. Perhaps in southern France on the Mediterranean, on in Greece. Perhaps I'll buy my own ship, and simply sail until the end of my days.

Graves looked up from his writing to the grandfather clock in his cabin. It was the afternoon now, and the small fleet was well underway. He figured the captain wouldn't have need of him for some time, so he closed his journal and put it in his locked drawer; he put his feet up on his desk, kicked back, and fell asleep.

Blizzard
Member for 10 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!