Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Presuppositionalism

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Presuppositionalism

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Cornelius Van Til is credited with a movement that has been making rounds in Facebook debate groups. Christian presuppositionalist apologetics claims that justification for any knowledge claim requires that one first believe in the Christian God, and exclusively the Christian God.

I find this position exceedingly arrogant. I hold that true certainty is impossible, and the best we can do is recognize the limits of our knowledge. God is a mystery, a cannot-be-known, and if we need knowledge of God to have knowledge, then we all unfortunately do not have knowledge.

Where I differ from presuppositionalism is that I remain humble about my ignorance, and don’t try to feign knowledge that I cannot possibly have. I also think it’s rather arbitrary that it would be Christianity that has the ultimate truth, and presuppositionalism could be adapted to any religion, and it would still be silly.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Presuppositionalism

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Sepokku on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:25 pm

Makes sense to me. Why would any Islamic prophet care what you have or haven't seen, if their God is ignoring you because you arent a believer?

Greeks believe that people have one of two souls; a real soul that is made up of divinity, and a fake soul that is guided by a false God. Obviously fake people wont be able to find God, as their soul isn't divine. They lack the hardware necessary to find God. Presuppositionalism is an extension of this train of thought.

This line of thinking has existed at least as long as Plato, and it does have a fair place in our world. If one didn't believe in gravitational waves, one would never set out to find them. It's pretty commonly applied to a lot of general logic. It relates to the frequency illusion. If you don't believe in God, nothing is an act of God. If you do believe, anything can be.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!