Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Professional Gamers?

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Would you be willing to become a professional gamer for gwing.net? (Please give reasons why you chose Yes, No, or Maybe.)

Yes
81%
No
14%
Maybe
5%

Total votes : 21

Professional Gamers?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 am

That's right, professional gamers. Eric and I were talking a couple days ago about this and we thought that this might be a great way to garner support for the site and help us get into the "business." Our ultimate goal is to get enough name recognition and third party support to host a convention (more details on that at a later date). Also it seems fitting. RP is the ultimate and most versatile video game because it uses a gaming console more powerful than any conceivable, and will remain that way for decades if not more. It uses your imagination and is as powerful as you want to make it with more possibilities and "alternate endings" than any video game packed with bonus features and extras. So, it's only fitting that we, as gamers, become professional gamers and venture into other fields.

So here's what I wanted to know. Most of this community is in the U.S., so I'm sorry international members this may start out a bit difficult for you guys. If we get big enough, we will definitely compete internationally. But for the U.S. and nearby residents, I wanted to know how many people would be interested in forming a group which we can launch under a name associated with gwing.net and become professional gamers? This will require proficiency in Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004, Counter-Strike, among others. Don't worry, if you're not an FPS gamer, we will need RTS gamers as well that are proficient in Warcraft III, StarCraft (no rules), and others. I don't expect anyone to be professional quality yet, but that means we will need to train on a regular basis online (Yes, that means legit copies of the games are needed).

The final and I think most demanding requirement is the necessity to attend a nationally recognized video game tournament. I will be making a list of some bigger tournaments with dates and locations to help you guys out with scheduling and stuff, but all I need right now is to know that some of you would be willing to travel at least short distances (say four - six hours driving time) from your location to attend.

So, if you are at all interested in this, please let me know. Thoughts or concerns about this should be posted here as well so we can have an open discussion on this. I am serious about this and I've made this my little project to support, so I want to know if I will have enough people to make a name in the industry. I will post more details if there are people who take an interest in this.

And lastly, if you win prizes or what have you, they are yours to keep to do as you please with them. All that we ask is that you keep in mind your roots and that Eric has to pay to keep this place up and running and still manages to keep it free to the public. The bill for this place is an insignificant amount of money compared to the cash awards and prizes and even a small portion of that would help fund gwing.net for a long period of time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCHEDULE:
The first practice will begin on Friday at 4 PM Eastern Standard Time in the game Counter-Strike: Source on the map de_dust. --- CANCELED DUE TO SERVER ISSUES WITH STEAM
Last edited by SinfulSoul on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Iris Lilium on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm proficient in FPS (Unreal Tournament 2004 mostly) and RTS (Starcraft) I wont say I'm GOOD as I can get better but this sounds like a totally good idea that I want a peice of.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Iris Lilium
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:34 pm

As the most active internation member, not to mention one of the most active members (i think) these days, I fully endorse the idea. I'm not about competing I've never been that good at games, but I am willing to give support. Should I have the time and the money I will be at some of these conventions just to cheer on the members especially should one be held in Toronto (the most easily accessable city to me).

Sinful, I agree completely with the idea and I personally think that it would be a small reperation for winnings to go to Gwing as well as expenses for the tournament. Perhaps a small decided portion of the gross funds should go to Gwing? After expenses and registration of course, perhaps 25%. That would be my only suggestion to add.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hero Galiant on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:57 pm

Former CAL-O & CAL-IM competitor in Counterstrike. Granted, that was a year or so ago but I'm still a top notch FPS player and with practice I can adapt to any game.

Just call me Solid Snake.

Past WoW player with end game exp to boot. Cleared everything outside of Naxx. 60 Epiced Orc Warrior named Thorkal on the Anetheron server.

But really...I'll be a part of http://www.darkfallonline.com when it's realesed. I can see no greater place for medieval and fantasy warfare.

Hero Galiant
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jack on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Im in, I got Counterstrike source down, aswell as guild wars, starcraft, command and conquer(all series) aswell as America's Army. ;D

Jack
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby No Dice on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:06 pm

I can guarantee that I'm the best Starcraft player that you have ever met. I played on the Pro Gamers Tour a couple years back when I actually had time to play video games.

I'm pretty talented at FPSs, too.

But, yeah; I might be interested if I have time. Mostly just for Starcraft though. I have to go out and buy it again, I loved that game.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes. Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.

No Dice
Member for 12 years

Re: Professional Gamers?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HELLFISH88 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:14 pm

SinfulSoul wrote:That's right, professional gamers. Eric and I were talking a couple days ago about this and we thought that this might be a great way to garner support for the site and help us get into the "business." Our ultimate goal is to get enough name recognition and third party support to host a convention (more details on that at a later date). Also it seems fitting. RP is the ultimate and most versatile video game because it uses a gaming console more powerful than any conceivable, and will remain that way for decades if not more. It uses your imagination and is as powerful as you want to make it with more possibilities and "alternate endings" than any video game packed with bonus features and extras. So, it's only fitting that we, as gamers, become professional gamers and venture into other fields.

So here's what I wanted to know. Most of this community is in the U.S., so I'm sorry international members this may start out a bit difficult for you guys. If we get big enough, we will definitely compete internationally. But for the U.S. and nearby residents, I wanted to know how many people would be interested in forming a group which we can launch under a name associated with gwing.net and become professional gamers? This will require proficiency in Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004, Counter-Strike, among others. Don't worry, if you're not an FPS gamer, we will need RTS gamers as well that are proficient in Warcraft III, StarCraft (no rules), and others. I don't expect anyone to be professional quality yet, but that means we will need to train on a regular basis online (Yes, that means legit copies of the games are needed).

The final and I think most demanding requirement is the necessity to attend a nationally recognized video game tournament. I will be making a list of some bigger tournaments with dates and locations to help you guys out with scheduling and stuff, but all I need right now is to know that some of you would be willing to travel at least short distances (say four - six hours driving time) from your location to attend.

So, if you are at all interested in this, please let me know. Thoughts or concerns about this should be posted here as well so we can have an open discussion on this. I am serious about this and I've made this my little project to support, so I want to know if I will have enough people to make a name in the industry. I will post more details if there are people who take an interest in this.

And lastly, if you win prizes or what have you, they are yours to keep to do as you please with them. All that we ask is that you keep in mind your roots and that Eric has to pay to keep this place up and running and still manages to keep it free to the public. The bill for this place is an insignificant amount of money compared to the cash awards and prizes and even a small portion of that would help fund gwing.net for a long period of time.

Hey sin,

Eric Contacted me about this and I am very interested, drop me a PM or Email @ Hellfish88@yahoo.com

This sounds like a blast, count me in.

Familiar with StarCraft and many other RTS games, Expert at Dawn of war.

I am also very skilled at unreal and CS, play allot of planetside so i do alot of online RTS like BF.

HELLFISH88
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby raiasuke on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:23 pm

im in;

warcraft 3
starcraft
diablo 2
WoW
counter strike source
Battlefield 2
Guildwars
command and conquer

raiasuke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:29 pm

You should know full well I'm in. I don't imagine this will get off any time before the near-end of spring, but in the event that it does, I won't be able to participate prior to that. I'm currently working on stabilizing my financial situation.

As far as RTS goes, I blow the big one. All I really have to compare my FPS skills to are the local guys, but some are damned good, and I can handle my own with them.

I don't hold a legit copy of any FPS right now, but given a little bit of time and mention of what I will need, I can obtain it.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm glad you're all ready to support this. I will be posting possible tournament entrants at a later date, but first we need to start practicing before we charge head long into a tournament. We will need to perfect our skills in a multitude of games, however if you prefer just one game or one genre of video game, that is fine. I will make an attempt to attend every practice for every game, but in return I expect reasonable cooperation. As with any group oriented task, the biggest hurdle will be organization. I believe Eric's TeamSpeak server is still up, so we will use that for communication in game.

And now for the primary games:

FPS:
Counter-Strike
Unreal Tournament 2004
Quake 4

RTS:
StarCraft
Warcraft III

World of Warcraft is going to have to wait for now because that kind of tournament style is much different and will require people to hit level 60 on the same PVP server (And organizing that kind of stuff is going to be ridiculously hard if not impossible at this point).

Anyway, those games are the ones that I've seen get the most name recognition to the winners and usually return the greatest rewards. We will do two games a week, and stick to those two games until we have proven ourselves. Then move on to another. The two games we will run first are Counter-Strike and StarCraft. We'll start out with two practices a week, one for CS and one for SC. Please ensure you get the latest updates for both games.

Those who wish to participate, please post your availabilities and remember to post your time zone. I will post further details later.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lance_Shepard on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:52 pm

This sounds like fun, I play a lot of quake4 arena. Another game called F.E.A.R. its really popular, and I bet tournaments will be held for this game as well. Only downfall it takes a high grade graphics card to play.

Lance_Shepard
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Counterstrike, Counterstrike: Source, or both?

Because I'm not a shake bad at either of 'em. ;)

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Sorry I didn't make that clear. We will be using Counter-Strike Source. And all expansions for the RTS Games as well like Broodwar for StarCraft and Frozen Throne for WarCraft III.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hero Galiant on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:03 am

I'll be picking up Source sometime soon. Looking forward to playing with you guys.

Hero Galiant
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Well since no one posted any availability, I tried to use my best judgment based on what I know about you guys already. The first practice will begin on Friday at 4 PM Eastern Standard Time in the game Counter-Strike: Source on the map de_dust . I will post about the TeamSpeak server later, but it is not required for the first practice. I recommend that you get headsets and download TeamSpeak (Free from http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads) which will aid in organization. That will give you the privilege of my Pimp Status voice each practice, and I know it'll keep you coming back for more.

Anyway, I expect this to be treated like a high school sport. This is intended to be fun, but it will not work without participation and organization. I will be posting schedules in advance, so unless there is an emergency of some sort I want to know if you will not be able to attend AT LEAST 24 hours in advance (but preferably 48 hours) so I can adjust training regimen as necessary. I will post the tentative schedule later and try to keep it updated by editing my first post for easy viewing. Practices can be expected to last a minimum of two hours and only get longer as it gets more intense.

The first practice is so I can identify who is willing to participate and what kind of playing styles are used. I want to be able to identify strengths, weaknesses, and ability to organize. It should be a fun few games just to get to know each other and show off some 1337 sk1llz.

By the way, if you are unable to attend the first practice, that does not mean you cannot be part of the team. I will gladly accept newer players, but I don't want players that can't dedicate at least 10 hours of availability out of their week every week. I intend to compete in smaller tournaments as early as Spring. I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is very important. If I can't depend on you to practice for a couple hours, how can I depend on you to show up in the tournament?

And finally, for those of you who don't want to compete, but just want to play around. We would love to be able to have the opportunity to crush you in our practices, so sure you can join in too. We may need extra people to fill in open spots or to compete against, so we could always use some extras who just happen to have some free time when practice is scheduled.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:08 pm

There have been issues with both TeamSpeak and Ventrilo, and so it may be that we will be left without either for the first practice. I will make every attempt to try and find alternate servers, but the chances are grim. If anyone knows anyone that has an available TeamSpeak or Ventrilo server up and running, please let me know by posting here, PMing me, or contacting me.

AIM: SinfulSoul4000
E-mail: Sin@Gwing.net or SinfulSoul4000@gmail.com
Gtalk: SinfulSoul4000@gmail.com

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HAL on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:08 pm

What happened?

HAL
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:11 pm

HAL, nice of you to join us. Both servers decided not to function and I am unable to find a fix. Probably something wrong with my router.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:22 pm

It seems the Steam servers are down. Is anyone else able to login to their Steam account? I fear that Steam may end this practice session before it even began.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Unfortunately the Steam servers are still down. This is most unfortunate, but I have no choice but to cancel the practice. It will be rescheduled to a later date.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.