Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

To pronounce Aye

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

How is Aye Pronounced?

Like the letter I
80%
Like the letter A
15%
Either one, depending
5%

Total votes : 20

To pronounce Aye

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:34 pm

So, how do you think the word Aye is pronounced?

My vote is I.
Last edited by miyumi on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm

I vote A. How can eye and aye be pronounced the same?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SWAT-Calibur on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:08 am

I say it is "I" and "A" depending on the reference used with it.

Example for "I"

"Aye,Sir."

Exaple for "A"

"Aye, what's going on?"

SWAT-Calibur
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:55 am

"A" is just a lazy man's hey- they cut off the "h" to sound British. Or they think they're the Fonz. It's not spelled "Aye" it's spelled "'Ey" Anyone who thinks it is its own word is retarded.

"I" is the correct pronounciation of the word "Aye", it's a word used to mean confirmation or agreement.

"Ey there, 'd ya snark Molly last night?"
"Aye, she gave me the clap."

Lesson over.

Ask an Irishman and you'll get the same answer and probably a bottle over the head.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SWAT-Calibur on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:16 pm

The first statement you made about being retarded if someone thinks that a pronounciation of a word is one, I take offense to that, and many others who think that it is pronounced that way may too.

That is criticizm of someone beliefs, or thoughts. Figured I'd let you know.

SWAT-Calibur
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Aye pronounced "A" is spelt "eh". I would know, I'm Canadian, eh.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:35 pm

SWAT-Calibur, I put up another option, if you haven't voted yet. Never did think someone might go both ways.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm

You are all quite, quite wrong. =/

"Aye," is in fact pronounced like "I." "A," is "Eh." There's really no argument in it. The only usage for "Aye" as an "A" sound is more commonly spelled "ay," and not really used. It just means always, ever, etc. Don't believe me? Consult a dictionary.

Ashish, you have murdered the most pirate word in the English language. Shame, man. Shame.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:27 am

Haha, Justin brought up a goodp oint. Consult the dictionary, I didn't even think of that till now. And even though the odds are against me, it looks like the dictionary agrees with the minority here. I consulted two:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aye
http://m-w.com/dictionary/aye

Granted... Dictionary.com agrees with both sides of the argument though.

Buwaha, still, I WIN! Muwaha!

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 am

As I said, the "ay" version is, for one, far more commonly spelled "ay" than "aye," and very rarely used when people type "aye."

Pwned, skank.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:04 am

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?a0000001.wav=aye

Here it again biatch, here it again! That's all that matters.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 pm

Actually, I added the "either, depending", and NO ONE has voted for that, which, Sin, is what Dictionary.com is saying.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Fine, I'm half right. Same thing.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am

SWAT-Calibur wrote:The first statement you made about being retarded if someone thinks that a pronounciation of a word is one, I take offense to that, and many others who think that it is pronounced that way may too.

That is criticizm of someone beliefs, or thoughts. Figured I'd let you know.

I called you and everyone else retarded. Deal with it. Or you can sue me and try to make me pay your therapy bills for the next four years while you seek medical help to get over how horribly I scarred you with such a brutal insult.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 am

Zee All Knowing Peacock wrote:Aye pronounced "A" is spelt "eh". I would know, I'm Canadian, eh.

I thought about going with this spelling too, but the context it was used was to hail someone, thus I imagined it was a cut-off version of "hey" so i spelled it "ey".

But yea... I don't know many people who use it that way. "eh" would be the most common form, for me, of seeing it used. And then it's at the end of a sentence, eh. Bloody Canadians.

I would click the links, but it's not going to change how I say or perceive the word, unfortunately. I'm kind of an ass like that. As far as "A" goes, I'll deal with it when it comes up, but whenever I see "Aye" i'm going to pronounce it the way it ought to be; "I"

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:05 am

I will have to concur.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bouncingcrow on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 am

I've always thought of the "aye, aye captain."

That, and "I" sounds so pirate-y!

bouncingcrow
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HAL on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 am

I haven't heard anything like that before: bouncingcrow said it sounds so pirate-y.

HAL
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bouncingcrow on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10 am

I am a master word-maker...

*sports her certificate of Word Smithing*

<.< >.>

:)

bouncingcrow
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.