A Question

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

A Question

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kædai on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Well, I've been noticing this more and more in my various adventures of RPGateway, and I'm not trying to offend anyone in asking this, but...

What is with everyone using anime pictures for their character profiles? Really? I mean, I know some people don't, but a lot of people do. Is anime just that popular? It just kinda bugs me when I look at good RPs and the characters pics are cute girls with giant purple eyes and green hair.

Anyway, just askin'...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kædai
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A Question

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True Grave on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:49 pm

The reason most people do that is because real pictures of people are disapproved of here. If you read the rules, it says that. "This is not a dating site".
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True Grave
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kædai on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:52 pm

...I see nothing of the sort. Could you link it?

Besides, just because people post REAL pictures of their characters has nothing to do with dating. At all. I don't see how it would even relate.

Kædai
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yami-Dokuro on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:58 pm

I agree Kaedai, I for one hate people using goddamn pictures in their bios when they join my RP, I simply turn them down full stop.

I prefer the style we used to use, good old fashioned text appearances, if you want to follow with a picture fine but the text is the core.

My penny of thoughts.

Yami-Dokuro
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True Grave on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:12 pm

I don't make the rules, so I don't know why they're not permitted. I never use pictures anyway, because I don't know how to post them.

True Grave
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 pm

I agree as well, but for a slightly different reason.

For one thing, I do agree with Yami that copping out and using some cheesy cute neko gurl or a of some femmy dog boi picture for every single game is uncreative and phail. It annoys me when people do it, and it feels like they were just too lazy to actual put forth the effort of creating a unique persona (especially since these pictures often go along with descriptions of a character being cute/playful/aggressive/gentle/perverted/mannerly/quiet/energetic/any other character description known to man).

But this laziness and numbed sense of the creative mind can be associated with people using pictures of real people, too. And I've also noticed a trend starting: gender-confused emo kid pictures are the new big-eyed anime pictures. Same idea, different bland flavor.

But I digress.

As far as using pictures go, I personally try to be somewhat descriptive in my text portion of the character bio, but usually end up drawing a picture of my characters to go along with it. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. But some people A) cannot draw and/or B) just can't think outside of their favorite picture box. We're role players, I say, so why not conjure up those thousand words to replace the picture?

One of my friends, for example, has absolutely stunning descriptions of his characters' appearances. You never once wonder what his puppets look like, and a picture simply isn't necessary. He is, granted, an phenomenal role player...but isn't that the goal?

Also...regarding the 'not a dating site' rule...well, no, we're not a dating site. But I don't see how using a real life picture is any more out there than using a scantily clad anime girl dancing around with a toothbrush or whatever.

...I apologize if this is a bit difficult to understand. I've been packing and loading and shoving stuff into tight corners that it was never designed to be shoved into all day. I'm a tad frazzled.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fractal Resonance on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 pm

The last part of your post sounds very, very wrong, Jade. Can I come help you pac- I mean...

I personally hate the anime pictures, mostly because they're a horrible way to set the mood. Whatever, spend your entire time looking for a great picture that suits your character; I'm cool with that. But when I'm in a realistic roleplay and someone drops an anime picture, how am I supposed to react? Even in a lot of fantasy and futuristic roleplaying, giving an anime picture just defeats the purpose of giving a picture at all. It ruins the ambiance and makes it hard to picture the character (for me at least) as something that does anything other than run around, fight, and scream weird phrases.

Though, I really do agree with all the other reasons just as much. I figured I'd add another one, though.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kædai on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:35 am

Well, this thread was a question, and you all have answered my question thoroughly, and I thank you for that.

*Bows*

Oh, and Jade, I agree with Fractal Resonance. The last part sounds wrong. Very. Wrong. :D
Last edited by Kædai on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kædai
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 pm

I too am fed up with it. Soon, when I get this RP idea of mine on the net, I'll specify NO ANIME pictures, I agree epsecially with Fractal Resonance, it ruins the whole setting of the thing. And what is it that ALL anime pictures of girls have them looking six years old, eyes larger than their face, and their underwear showing ? I mean, most people do not tend to wear skirts that don't even arrive to their waist !

Also, if you're doing an RP based in an asian or at least anime setting, sure, go for it, but not when it is clearly occidental ! I mean, there are enough pictures of occidental fantasy and sci-fi chars on the web, why don't they ever go looking for them ? Especially seeing as IMO, they are alot better than anime pictures, more realistic, better drawn, and whatnot. Still, I'm starting to rant, and you don't want to suffer THAT ...

So yes, I quite agree with you Kaedai, I'm fed up with it too, and people are allowed to know that others are fed up with it, I don't see how they could feel offended, yet ... MY purse of coins, but I quite agree with you, pisses me off too ...

Selothi
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:35 am

Everyone said what I was thinking before I got a chance to.

I agree more so with Jade's post, especially when she said, "He is, granted, an phenomenal role player...but isn't that the goal?"

YES!! YES, that IS the goal!!! I get very tempted (But never cave in!) to delete pointless posts or fuss at people to make a bigger effort sometimes because I feel roleplaying should be a CONSTANT learning and growing experience! So many people just post one liners and put forth NO effort to become a better RPer. I could rant on for hours about how much it ticks me off when people type like idiots or have 100 page RPS FULL of one-liners, when the RP is really crappy to begin with. I mean, I just cannot fathom how people don't want to put forth an effort to get better. RPing is SO MUCH MORE FUN when you're great at it and make long epic posts that leave a reader in awe!!
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 am

Quite ... You are, of course, perfectly right, Melfina, the learning possibilities associated with RPing are ENDLESS, so the one-liner RPs tend to quickly piss me off too. Here's a site a guy on a forum linked me too, it contains NO anime character pictures, only fantasy character drawings of phenomenal quality: http://drakonis.org/index.php

I've stuck it in my siggy too, just so ALL people on these forums can see their mouths drop at the awesomness of this gallery. I thank whatever lord will listen to me for having granted the internet with such an amazing web-site. Looky at it peeps, it be good !

Selothi
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!