Quintessence

Quintessence ' OOC Discussion

a part of “Quintessence”, a fictional universe by SpiritDancer.

{Closed}

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Quintessence”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Quintessence ' OOC Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 am

I. W E L C O M E

The original roleplay that this is a recreation of was by Gestalt, who is unfortunately not active on RoleplayGateway anymore. The application thread is up, and after all of the characters are sorted out and accepted I will be posting a relationship thread. Also, this is not a first come first serve roleplay. Character will be accepted on how well your character fits into the world of the roleplay, and on how unique they are.

Feel free to discuss, show interest and ask questions in this thread.
Last edited by SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambar: Snow & Ash
"I’m tryin’ to fix myself
And not care too much about you"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Builder Storyteller Beta Tester Arc Warden Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Visual Appeal Greeter Salesman Property Buyer Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: Quintessence ' OOC Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polarisbear12 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Well I'm certainly interested in joining Spirit! You've written it up quite wonderfully. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta search for an FC.
Bleach||A New Era
♀ Role Open
(10/25/16)
The Bear's Loft
CS's & future RP's

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Polarisbear12
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby °ẞ0llisīic° on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 pm

So do I! I'm excited to apply for this well thought out roleplay. FC finding time, as you said polaris!

°ẞ0llisīic°
Member for 4 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:22 pm

@Polarisbear12, yeah I spent quite a while rewriting most of it because I wrote up the intro a while ago and it just didn't sound right. That's mostly why it took me so long to get the recreation up.

@°ẞ0llisīic°, thanks for showing interest! If you need any help finding an FC I have a storage of 45 characters, though they're all female so if you're looking for a male one you're on your own there XD

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Builder Storyteller Beta Tester Arc Warden Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Visual Appeal Greeter Salesman Property Buyer Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Oh wow, I don't remember Red Apotheosis being this pretty. This brings back memories of the last one. A shame that Gestalt isn't around any more, though I remember being quite fond of Katia.

I think I might try again, sand down some of the rougher parts in her sheet and then finagle her to fit into the application, if that's cool with you?
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 11 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AeJylhis on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 pm

As I continue to read more about this RP, the more I love its carefully crafted story and themes. I would really love to be a part of this rp and I definitely will be submitting an application or two. One thing worries me though, is that there has been no deadline mentioned for the submission of applications.

Do I assume that you read through a few and then select one that you like, or do you go through them all at the end?

AeJylhis
Member for 6 years
Author Conversationalist Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:24 pm

@ Talisman, Yeah you can bring Katia back! I was hoping to get a few characters back from the original roleplay (*cough* even if i didn't bring mine *cough*) so it's 100% fine with me.

@AeJylhis, there was a deadline mentioned for applications in the thread, but just for clarification applications are due on July 5th, 10:00PM Central Time. I am giving extensions in case it is needed, but that's when I'll decide which character's I want in the roleplay.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AeJylhis on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks SpiritDancer!

By the way, regarding the Soul category of both Summoning and Possession(by the way, love Auramancy, sounds similar to DC Comic's Raven):

Summoning:
1. Does the manifested guardian possess its own personality or will of its own? Like how mainstream summons(such as those in the FF series) have their own emotions, thoughts, etc?

2. If not, does that mean the mage controls it? If the mage controls it, does the mage have to concentrate solely on the guardian's movements, thereby rendering the mage vulnerable and useless, or is the guardian like their second limb, operated without any thought, in which so the mage and the guardian can both fight an adversary?

3. Do these summons remain in existence indefinitely or do the mages have to constantly summon them into battle? Does it tire the mages to maintain their summons in the world?

4. If a guardian is a mage's life energy, upon destruction, does that life energy ever recover? Like a wound? If it does not, what happens if the mage's life energy eventually hits rock bottom? Death? If then, what happens to the summon, assuming that the summon can remain in existence indefinitely and has its own will. Does it continue to exist, or disappear?

Possession:
1. Something tells me that the Level Zero possession mage might make an appearance. It begs the question of what happened to his/her adversary, the other possession mage. Let's also not forget the ominous quote at the end of the 'Possession' ability explanation that a "proxy-soul. . . might be even stronger than the caster itself". Interesting.

2. If a proxy-soul can potentially be so much stronger than its own caster, then would the proxy-soul potentially become a mage of its own? Become a full-fledged soul/become truly human?

3. Since a possession mage places a piece of their soul into an object(or person), does killing the mage destroy the proxy-souls, or does the mage not die(think Horcruxes)? Meaning the only way to kill the mage is destroy all the proxy-souls(?). Can the mage use up all of his/her soul?

Since we're already talking about the Soul class of mages, does the destructiveness/strength of Auramancy blasts stem from which emotion the mage draws the power from? Like certain auras may be more destructive than others, or may have uses other than just destruction(healing perhaps?). Also, it sounds like an Auramancy mage can unintentionally harm others by causing a literal 'emotional whirlwind', such as when the mage is grieving or in a state of fury, etc.

Sorry for the amount of questions, but the Soul class mages warrant more explanation, considering they are quite enigmatic. These were the questions that kept bugging me as I read about their subclasses.

AeJylhis
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BigThunderMountainRailroad on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:45 am

Really neat OP and layout, SpiritDancer! The graphics looks really spiffy and I can see where you drew inspiration from Hanakotoba Romantica and TWOS (both of which are really great in terms of design, so great choices to draw from too!)

Shame that you didn't borrow that little gaggle they wrote about theft and copyright though, I don't see any credit for the image used in your OP, nor do I see any confirmation that it was used with permission (this one: http://vielmond.deviantart.com/art/Mauve-473614469)

If you really appreciate Camila Vielmond's work I'd recommend maybe supporting their Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/vielmond?ty=h) since they work hard to create those images that you used, seemingly without permission haha.

CHOO CHOO, best wishes!
This train stops for NOBODY

BigThunderMountainRailroad
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:34 pm

@BigThunderMountainRailroad, my only concern is that if you had a problem with me not sourcing the image why didn't you just PM me? It's not relevant to state that information here and it would do you much better to just discuss it in PMs. But thanks for telling me who actually made the image, and so this doesn't continue to be an issue I can include a link to it in the Introduction.

also you do without the little backhandedness at the end there

@AeJylhis

Summoning
  • I would like to think that if the mage's level is high enough, then yes it may have a few more qualities that resemble a human. But generally no, it's almost like a mindless being that follows commands.

• Their summon kinda like a second limb, where they will continue to follow through on a command (such as attacking an enemy) until the Summoner commands them to do something else (such as defending the summoner/ally). So yes, it would be possible for a mage and their summon to fight side-by-side.

• They have to be constantly summoned into the world and sent back, they generally don't tire out the summoner. However, if that summoner was a level four or level five mage they probably wouldn't be able to keep their summon there for long, simply because they are inexperienced in magic and may accidently send it away. Once summoned, the guardian has a life-source of its own that was basically loaned to them by their summoner, so that life-source sustains them for a long time. It would be possible to keep

• Yes it does recover, and for the time that it recovers they either can't summon their guardian or that they summon a much lesser form of their guardian.

Possession
  • Well, the other possession mage died in a battle between the two. I can assure you that they weren't possessed by the other possession mage, and that they truly are dead.

• A proxy-soul will always be considered a proxy-soul no matter what it is possessing. Unless the proxy-soul possesses a mage, they can not become a mage. Though there is a legend that the level zero mage that still exists has been body jumping for the past 2500 years and is still out there. To be honest, I haven't decided myself if it's true, it really just depends on where we go with the roleplay past all the events I have set-up already. But possession is usually temporary and won't damage the life-energy of the host. It kind of suppresses the normal consciousness and puts it to sleep.

• It's not particularly hard to destroy a proxy-soul, but killing a mage will only kill the mage, the proxy-souls will continue to live on and once the temporary possession ends the proxy-souls will dissipate since they have no core soul to return to again.

Yes, the strength stems from the emotion and how powerful the emotion is. So just being irritated won't create a strong reaction, but being enraged would definitely have a strong reaction. And yes, it is possible for an Auramancy mage to accidently effect others and that's the hardest part of that branch of magic, it's extremely hard to control when every emotion has an output of some kind.

Don't apologize for asking questions, it allows me to clarify anything that wasn't clear before and it helps out anyone else who might have the same questions.

EDIT: Later on I will make a Q&A thread to include all the questions you guys have asked and the answers to them, just so people know where to go to first if they have a question.
Last edited by SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFE Wolf on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:52 pm

I really like this RP so far! A lot of thought and detail put into it as far as I can tell. This site has quite a few RP's that are lacking that.... combined with the fact that even some of the goods ones I'm already in can be slow at times. I'd like to join this one! I'll look for an FC and start building my character immediately! Also, you mentioned your storage and how it's all female, but are there any characters from it you want to see? The character I plan on building might differ in personality from what the original character that the FC is, but that's to be expected if we're being original, right?

Oh and one more thing, I was having trouble understanding the difference between the application code and the character sheet code? Which one is the proper one for me to use? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but this is only the third RP I've joined and the first to use a sign up like this.
Did you know, Shinigami love red apples?

TFE Wolf
Member for 4 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:49 pm

You want to use the application code whenever you're submitting an app, and the character code for whenever you get accepted into the roleplay.

Regarding the character face claims, you could use whichever one you want. I just provided those character in case anyone needed help finding a face claim for their character.

EDIT: Also just as a note, your FC does not have to be from an anime. If you find any face claim you feel represents your character well enough you're free to use it.
Last edited by SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFE Wolf on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Alright, thanks for the clarification! Yours is the first RP I've seen do things this way, but in retrospect it makes sense. I've only looked at ones with no limit on applications, while you were looking for a specific number. It wouldn't make sense to make a character in the RP just to have it deleted if it didn't make it in. My app should be up within the next hour or two, it's going to be more finding an FC than anything.

TFE Wolf
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Trinket on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Just wanted to come in and say this is great! Unfortunately I can't join, but it looks amazing.
Last edited by Trinket on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinket
Member for 4 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Just as an update, I realized an error I had made in the code. The last name of your character should be the same color as the first. You don't have to change the color, but for future applicants, the code is updated to come out as I intended.

@Trinket, thanks for showing interest! Sad that you can't join, but maybe you can catch the next one.

@TFE Wolf, I look forward to seeing your application. If you need any help with the coding just PM me and I'll help you anyway I can.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Reliquary on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm

I will be applying! This looks wonderful!
"Yet, even amidst the hatred and carnage, life is still worth living. It is possible for wonderful encounters and beautiful things to exist"
- Hayao Miyazaki

Reliquary
Member for 4 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFE Wolf on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Could anyone help? The photo I'm using keeps turning into an empty picture in my character app. I have to resize it again and use the new url each time. It works, but once I refresh it goes back to not being the right picture.

Edit: after a few Google searches, I found the same picture already sized and just used that one instead. The size is a little off but it'll do.

TFE Wolf
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AeJylhis on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks for answering the questions SpiritDancer!

I have one more question regarding summoner mages. Upon the destruction of their guardian, it has been established that they cannot summon it until they recover, or at most be able to summon a lesser version of it. Also, according to the summoner ability explanation, it says that the mages tend to stick to their first guardian. Does that mean that they are able to summon a different guardian after the first one has been destroyed? Maybe the trauma they've suffered causes a change in their psyche/mind/soul which reflects their new creation?

AeJylhis
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The5thHorseman on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:10 am

Well hello there! I have already submitted an application, though I just edited it. I had failed to find the magic section earlier though I found it in the old RP, I decided to make her a telepath and added some information detailing that portion of her life.
Pain would hurt more if it was felt less

The5thHorseman
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mazamizari on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Ohh hi Spirit ;w; This looks so cool omg..

I might apply >_> Idk. But! Wanted to say it's lovely!!

Mazamizari
Member for 5 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!