Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Real; Unreal

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Real; Unreal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 am

I float on an endless sea of un-reality. Potentiality sprawls endlessly around me, infinite in its ability to realize the dreams of the mind. This place, it haunts my every waking moment, my deep slumbers, the restless moments between when I'm conscious and when I'm truly sleeping.

The Unreal.

A world where anything is possible, anything goes. They say at special places it leaks out into the real world, a genesis of machine and mind, combining to create places where the laws of reality are no longer in command. I don't know if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me. In here I can do anything. In here I'm a god.

The United States, Colorado, Denver

Matthew awoke from his descent into the Unreal. The effect was disorienting, as it always was. Snapping back from a world where your wildest dreams could come true to a place where the mundane laws of reality and physics governed your every movement was jarring, to say the least. He grabbed the pitcher of water he always kept by his bedside and downed half of it before pulling the neural contacts off his scalp and the direct link out of the base of his spine. There was a sharp moment of pain as the tiny needle was extracted from his body and he gritted his teeth against the lip of the pitcher.

How long had he been under? From the taste in his mouth and the sunlight outside it must have been at least eight hours. He shook out his tired limbs and stood, stretching to release the cramped muscles from the position they had remained in while he was under. He yawned. The constraints of the Real, reality as he called it, were becoming tiresome.

The Unreal served many purposes for a person like Matthew. Communication with people like him was simplified, sped up and increased. He could fill his own private world with anything he wanted. Castles. Dragons. Beautiful women...

And it was lucrative.

Companies, government agencies, terrorist groups, multi-national relief agencies. All of them paid to have skilled manipulators use the power of the Unreal to help them achieve their goals. The Unreal allowed people to explore possibilities, futures, what-ifs. But it took someone like Matthew to make it work.

The money he had earned made the time he had to spend in the Real that much more bearable, that much more tolerable until he could dive again. Dive deep into the sea of dreams. Because, that was the real reason Matthew did what he did. It was the mot wonderful escape, the truest form of dreaming.

The Unreal, time, space and location meaningless

The assembled were in fine form that moment. Gods from across the many pantheons. Angels, demons, monsters, heroes of old, celebrities. The forms they took were limitless and varied. Their leader was the Neil Gaiman rendition of Odin, straight out of American Gods. He stared out over his compatriots with an air of arrogance, tempered only by purpose. The assembled were some of the best, if a few were some of the most unsavory, manipulators of the Unreal. He ruled them with a combination of skill, cunning and money.

"We have a problem. Of this you are all are, or should be, aware. One of our number has allowed an outsider to glimpse the world we share. One of our number has betrayed the covenant that binds us, the covenant that allows us to remain free and safe from the Real."

He let that sink in for a moment. A breach of the covenant was grounds for serious discipline at best. Termination from access to the Unreal at worst. The combined power of manipulation that the group exercised allowed them to effectively control the flow of traffic into and out of the Unreal. It was not something they did often but when necessary any person, manipulator, observer or rider, could be forcibly expelled... and kept out.

The reaction was essentially as he had anticipated. Unsurprised rage. The assemblage were all abiding members of the covenant, and the fact that one of them had shown their world to someone who wasn't privileged to see it sent rankles through them.

Odin stared at them silently for what may have been an eternity, or no time at all. "You know of whom I speak. Punish them." And the world there simply ended.

The Real, to some, the Unreal to others

The building sits over a place where the world bleeds. Reality spasms and joins with lines of fantastic code, oceans of possibility and islands of sub-reality are hammered by waves of fantasy. It is a place where the Real and the Unreal combine. And it was being used.

Since the Unreal had been integrated into the modern network of machines this place had been monitored, protected and at times abused. It had seen three owners over the years. First, a lonely old man who had helped install the original infrastructure that was called the sub-Real, the framework on which the Unreal was built. Then his parent company had discovered the amalgam of reality and Unreality and taken it from him, forcibly. The company was destroyed, forcibly, by a rival and for a time the location sat in disrepair, leaking its brand of fictitious creation into the space around it. Finally, after a time the current caretakers had discovered the rift, and had begun to use it for their own purposes.

A man and a woman were together, in a room separate from the rift. They were dressed plainly, both in jeans and t-shirts of a brand that could only be described as 'indie' or perhaps 'hipster'. They sat at opposite monitors hooked up to extensive machinery, computation engines of an absurd size and power. It took absurd power to force the Unreal into the Real.

Up until now they had only dabbled in cross-manipulation, but tonight was going to be different.

Tonight they were going to create instead of simply change.

The sea I float in is changing. The water changes from the liquid stuff of dreams, slowly shifting to the darker parts of my mind. I can no longer fully control the world I envision. It is slipping away from me. The edges of my universe begin to shrink around me.

I yell for it to stop. I make demands. I am a god, I protest! All I hear is laughing.

And then, there is only the horrifying truth of the Real.

You stand alone, yet to emerge into this world laid out before you. Are you a manipulator? Capable of distorting the tides and eddies of the Unreal? Are you a member of a powerful corporation or government agency intent on abusing the power of the Unreal for your own purposes? Are you simply a bystander, watching as the world unfolds and changes around you? Perhaps your choices will be the catalyst for a new era. Creation at the rift, the punishment of the breaker of the covenant, the world of the Unreal where the assembly dwells ruled by Odin. These are all places, people and events ripe for you to influence. Make your entrance into the Real, the Unreal, or both and leave your mark.

PM for join, open to anyone interested, just trying to keep things properly coordinated.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Azmodai2
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!