Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Regarding: Personal Information

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Regarding: Personal Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:41 pm

RolePlayGateway is about more than just roleplaying: It's about facilitating the formation of lasting relationships with those that have a shared interest. Some people might want to take this relationship a step further and ask for information that will allow them to contact each other outside of the site. Before you jump at the chance to take your dot-comradeship to the next level, however, it is prudent to stop and think about the potential risks involved with sharing personal information over the Internet.

We've all heard it before: Someone gives out their contact information, and the next thing they know, they're being spammed to hell and back, or worse--they're being stalked by someone totally creepy! Aside from that obvious risk, there are a few other points to keep in mind, as well. First and foremost, RolePlayGateway staff members have no jurisdiction over interactions that do not take place within the confines of the site. Among other things, this means that if another RPG member is harassing you over an instant messenger program, then the staff of RPG cannot and will not take action.

Another issue to keep in mind is what kind of information you intend to give, and the number of people you are giving it to. Giving out things such as your Facebook/MySpace page or instant messenger screen name should only be done privately with people you trust, to lessen the chance that this information will fall into the wrong hands. We do encourage you to share and interact with other members, but please be cautious about the information you disclose.

The third thing to think about when considering sharing personal information is what sort of access you're giving that person. Limiting the relationship to things like your Facebook page (where you can "unfriend" the person if they're acting up) or your IM screen name (where you have the option of blocking them) is "safer" than, say, giving out your phone number or street address. Under no circumstances should you give away this kind of real life information, especially if you are under 18!

Hopefully, this announcement will not only make your experience at RolePlayGateway a more enjoyable one, but also a safer one.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: Regarding: Personal Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Not sure what's caused you to make this announcement, but I think you have a very 1990's view of what the internet is like...
And on the first day Man created God in his own image.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MoonMan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Destablization on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 am

Hardly MoonMan.

RPGateway is a fantastic site, and putting out a warning like this just makes me enjoy it even more. Personally, I'm "wise" in the ways of the "interwebz", but you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't realize the harm that could come from posting an excess of personal info.

A "stalker" could easily become focused on someone from something as small as a photo, or statement, and anything like listing the name of a local football team, in addition to your FaceBook with pictures of your house could give someone the info needed to "stalk" you.

Stalking more often then not is incredibly dangerous, and leads to more extreme crimes.
(And that's just ONE example of the danger. The internet is impersonal. You never know who's watching)

So thank you RPGateway, and please keep up the fantastic work.
Hello. I am Destablization. If I posted in your Interest Check, please read the following.

I post using a phone. That means I can't do certain things.
I can't use the Roleplay Tab.
I can't use Chat.
I sometimes make small spelling mistakes.
-Roleplay Info-
I don't like being the center of a roleplay. I like being the side character. To me, they have true depth.
I don't mind dying in a roleplay.

That's all, and I hope we have fun together !

Destablization
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:35 am

Well, 1. I don't see how this makes the site more enjoyable, but to each his own, I guess..

2. If someone is going to be stalking another, they can do it without the other person giving them any information at all. All you need is an IP address, then you can get email addresses, anythin' really. Once you have an email, there's dozens of websites that let you... Find certain things. [Not saying anything beyond that.]

Anyways. Given how much this stuff is drilled into people from birth [Don't talk to strangers, etc, etc] you'd have to be a complete idiot to actually give someone information needed for "stalking." Though, I doubt many people have an indepth knowledge of what stalking is...

Also!! While I'm here :P You said ''You never know who's watching.' Actually, I do. My ISP. Every ISP knows exactly what you're up to. They just need to pull up your name and they can monitor everything you download, look at, etc, etc. Fun fact: When Virgin catch people using P2P programs excessively, they'll warn that person 3 times before cutting off their service. :)

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Destablization on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:25 pm

1.) It makes it more enjoyable to know that they care about their members ;)

2.) Another example of danger. People on the internet tend to forget life rules, such as be respectful, and stranger danger. Its not hard to let things slip. About the IP thing, that's true for some, but personally I use an IP registered in Virginia I believe, and I certainly don't live there =S. I suppose that's just me being more active about not sharing information.

And you're absolutely right. Many don't understand, fully, what stalking is, and many don't understand the danger. I personally know someone who met a man online, and they began dating. They exchanged personal info, and -the very next day- he showed up at her school, and he proposed. She turned him down and he started stalking her.

Things get dangerous when you're not careful.

Destablization
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:27 pm

No, no. What I mean was people don't fully understand the psychology behind it, and how the mind of a stalker works. It's not "I'll meet someone. Just someone at random. and I'll follow them everywhere! haha!"

Also, if your friend was giving out personal info that could let the person know what school she went to and everything -- then your friend might be a bit thick... Also, internet dating is just... Well, I'm not even getting into that one.

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I feel like jumping into this. :b

Anyhow, it is a tricky situation out there. I have an account on Skype, the address to which is shared with people I trust or need to communicate with (aka, OOC talk for a roleplay). I haven't had problems with anyone spamming or harrassing me.

But the strangest things happen. Take, for instance, this one person who sent me a message on Skype talking about how my mom gave her my Skype account name and how her cat was weird. (?) The thing was, they introduced themself as 'Aunt Sev'. I have a lot of aunts, so I actually had to think for a second.

Then I realized that my mother doesn't have a Skype account and so the whole thing was ficticious.

The point is, without getting into too heavy of a debate here, that stuff happens and you have to keep your wits about you. Don't be afraid to say to someone "I'm sorry, but who are you and how do I know you?"

Music
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:08 pm

You do know it works both ways right? They could have mistaken you for someone else, thinking they're related to you. In fact, that's a lot more likely than some internet stalker...

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Are people really debating the usefulness and relevance of an announcement advising members of a community - who can be as young as 12 or 13 - to be careful about sharing their personal information with strangers, who could potentially be as old as 40+?

Wow.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiix on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 am

I just wanted to put something out there... more or less....

I was one of those people, I was YOUNG, dumb and 'new' to the internet I guess you might say. I gave out my cellphone number and... Well... Was stalked. It was honestly the scariest thing in my life. The phone calls, looking behind me when I was at school or walking down the street. It came to a point where there was a police report made. Things CAN end badly. Now I know as stated above, that people are saying this is a 1990s view of the internet, or that this is a useless forum. I am the opposite.

I'm not saying don't get to know people on the internet... God knows I have... My Ex i met on CoH and he flew down quite a few times to visit me, and my current boyfriend? I met on Craigslist, these things can be dangerous yes, but if you go about them the right way, they don't have to be. Get to know the person on IM, talk to them for a time, You will know if they are a creeper or not after a few days, trust me, no one can hide their true selves for long.

All I'm saying, from unwanted experience... is be smart, think about it... the things I went through... PLEASE don't let yourself go through them as well.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸If Music Be The Food of Love¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Don't forget to HUG a gamer!

Tiix
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cheesecake on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm

It is a fantastic idea that Eric has posted this because there are some out there that don't really have a clue how to use the internet properly and give out all sorts of info not realizing anyone could read it
"It's alright captain, we always knew you were a whoopsy"

Cheesecake
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 am

Trying to imply you know the mind of a stalker is pretty silly. There are a lot of kinds of stalkers. Triggered stalkers that are predisposed to that kind of mentality---i.e.: I stalk you if you break up with me. Opportunity stalkers that stalk whoever they. . . have the opportunity to and that fulfill their needs: i.e.: a lonely girl online. . . .

Well, you get the idea. Just a bunch.

You say they 'don't understand the psychology of a stalker' as if that's really important. The statistics easily point to the fact that if you share personal information---and even if you DON'T---you can easily become stalked, harassed, and even raped and murdered. It's easy to find out where someone lives by putting together images from their Facebook. I can easily tell when someone is standing in Pittsburgh. Now to be fair, I am not so neo-nazi with my view. I met my fiance online seven years ago and we've been dating for a few years and have a daughter. But that isn't the norm by far. I don't feel safer or better either way with this warning; it IS just common sense. . . . for most. But younger kids disregard these warnings thinking they're superman and it doesn't apply to them. That's just how they are. And so for the people for whom this warning really matters, it won't do any good.

Oh well.
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gen on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah, and just so you're all aware. You really don't want to stalk me. I bite. lol

But in a more serious manner...

Safety and security of personal information is a key thing on the internet. Aside from the potential of a "stalker" you also have the problem of identity theft, and yes it happens online more so than anywhere else.

You see recently on Dateline there was a story about people from other countries, capable of filtering your personal information through the internet (hackers actually steal this information and sell it to people from foreign countries for immigration, money, the list can go on). However I don't think that this site has a major problem with the possibility of stalkers or identity thieves, but this does not mean it's not possible at all.

So just be careful, because honestly. The more personal information you let out in a public forum, the more danger you place yourself, and even your family members in. So if you aren't considerate of yourself in this matter, be considerate of your loved ones please.

Gen
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Image_Writer on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 am

Kids will be gaining access to the Internet at younger and younger ages. Also, it is quite easy for a child to get on to pretty much any site they want. A 10 year old can get a membership on this site easily enough as long as they know to put down an over 18 birth date (which is what I did in my Yahoo! RPing days). Because the Internet is not as strict about proof of age and other such information, nearly anyone can do almost anything.

Also, a lot of people really do tend to forget those "stranger danger" rules when they are on the Internet. They seem to think that just because they are on a computer that they are safe from criminals and other such miscreants when this is simply not true.

As for myself, I always give out my personal information. I really, really want a stalker. .... I'm just desperate for the attention, I guess.

LOL I'm joking. Sorry, sometimes my humor is a bit dark. In fact, that was a rather clean one for me. Haha

Have a great day/night everyone. Remember, stay safe (on the Web and off).
"Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?" -Joker

Image_Writer
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dark Fox Sentaro on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 pm

well i always am careful with giving my information out which i am happy about and you guys are right alot of kids forget the stranger danger thing and that is cruicial to kids being protected from things but parents also need to keep an eye on their children that is the main thing i mean anyone under 13 or 14 needs to be watched or at least kept an eye on so they don't do anything stupid

Dark Fox Sentaro
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 am

Dark Fox Sentaro wrote:well i always am careful with giving my information out which i am happy about and you guys are right alot of kids forget the stranger danger thing and that is cruicial to kids being protected from things but parents also need to keep an eye on their children that is the main thing i mean anyone under 13 or 14 needs to be watched or at least kept an eye on so they don't do anything stupid

Anyone under 13 is not allowed on this site and should be reported immediately.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaoticsunrise on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 am

I honestly think this is a great warning. Albeit, I do tend to give out my email/facebook more than most; but I also have an obsession with names that aren't "legally" my name.

And, unless you can tell where the inside of my house, or the inside of my boyfriend's car are.. You're not gonna find much in my 'public' pictures on facebook.
I feel about as safe giving people my email/facebook as I do giving them my age or gender... Mostly because it would be really hard to stalk me from any of them as I very rarely use my real legal name anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying it's a good idea to put your information out there..

I personally know someone, who was naive and in a very bad mental state. They met a man on a chat site that was almost eight years older than them (and they were only 12, at the time) and gave him all of their personal information (I'm talking, e-mail, cellphone, home phone).

He flew up to see them, and dragged them into what was a sick, and disturbing world. She was raped, multiple times; and because he put so much attention into her when she was in such a bad place she didn't do anything about it, or tell anyone.

It's easier to get hurt online because from I've seen people are more trusting and think that since they have a million miles and a screen between them and whoever they are talking to that they can tell them anything. If you meet a bad person and tell them personal things about yourself, not only can they find you but they can play off of your weaknesses and really hurt you.

Thank you, Remæus, for caring enough to post this warning. <3
♥UCTigerette♥
♥ImagineThat!♥
♥RaeRaeButterfly♥
♥Music♥
♥Lavender♥
♥Aika♥
♥Nezzera♥
♥Ariki♥
♥Adrianna♥
♥Tæfarós♥
Forces unseen p u l l i n g strings in your heart
Everyone wants to feel safe in the dark.

♥OriginalSix♥

ClickHereIfYouWannaGiveMeLove;;

chaoticsunrise
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LoriPantera on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:10 am

I'll jump in with my own 2.5 shekels worth. I met and dated someone from a chat room years ago, and was simultaneously cautioning others about the dangers. As someone else stated about asking the right questions to spot the scammers and fraudsters.

Along the lines of age verification and restricting the site access to those over a certain age, it is not a trivial things to do. I had a friend who was horrified to discover her 11 year old son had gained a full membership to to several porn and internet dating sites that used a credit card "Age Check" system... the little "darling" had copied her credit card info by photo of both sides of the card with his smart phone, then used the info to provide a faked id to get access to those sites. She had no idea he could get on those sites with his phone! She took the phone away and said he won't get another until he is old enough to earn the money to buy his own on his own account. It might seem extreme, and she still cannot guarantee he won't get access from a friend, as she is a single mother and can't possibly watch him 100% of the time.

Just because we have the technology, doesn't mean we really know how to use it!

LoriPantera
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:53 pm

I have a confession to make here.

I actually co-wrote this with Rem, back when I was still a mod. (Hard to believe, I know.) Asking him to post this was probably my greatest idea in a while.

With a new generation of users that are learning the rules of the information super-highway for themselves, this becomes important again. Please, be careful out there. There are some weird people lurking about.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!