Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! »

Players Wanted: 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP »

Religion and Philosophy

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Religion and Philosophy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 pm

How does your religion affect your philosophical views? What sort of beliefs are incompatible with (forbidden by, contradictory with, etc.) religion?

On the other side of the coin, what sort of philosophical beliefs prevent someone from being religious?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Religion and Philosophy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

I would say nihilism would prevent religiousness to an extent. Epistemological nihilism however avert gnosticism. My philosophical view are to one side egalitarian and to the other nihilist. Yet I am an animist.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Maybe the OP could be changed to simply asking what religion and/or philosophy people subscribe to?

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby indi.foxx on Tue May 27, 2014 12:22 am

A LOT of my friends are Christian. About 96.8% percent, so they're making me conform, although I'm leaning towards science.

indi.foxx
Member for 7 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OldManPsycho on Tue May 27, 2014 2:23 am

This might be hard for me to communicate, but I'll try my best. My individual personal belief is closely related to Monism. As a lover of wisdom and seeker of universal truth, I find myself lost in thought trying to find out if there is a higher being and what is it's role in our existence. I try to disregard previous notions of God, whom I have chosen to call Creator because God give a false notion of the necessity of worship. If the Creator exists, it does so without need of our recognition/worship.

I feel I must take a moment and urge freethinkers to break away from the lie that is Science vs. Religion. It does no good to think that they contradict each other, instead if they are considered two different translations of the same formula/story, then one can begin to piece the puzzle that is the mystery of the universe and our existence.

The sad truth is that religion is used as a bad word among many intelligent groups. And they have a right to be wary of the word; religion has encouraged slavery, wars, inequality over all and for the sake of a all-too-human God that always has the ends justify the means. To this, I say that if you look for the evil and flaws in men then you will be vastly rewarded with a reoccurring theme.

The Creator is nether all good, all evil nor all together indifferent. It is the breath of life and the shadow of death. In the beginning, all was united with the Creator and in the end, all will be united again. Internal damnation and everlasting joy do not exist, nether does the absence of the Creator. The Creator is all knowing because it reside in every particle of existence. The Creator is not all powerful, it is not infinite nor infallible.

To say anything after this point would be rambling as my beliefs are not solidified. As life brings new lessons and experiences I learn more about my role in relation to my Creator.

OldManPsycho
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PerfectSilence on Fri May 30, 2014 9:08 pm

If I am able to add in my two cents?

I enjoy both philosophising on a "personal" level as well as that of religion - is it not possible that the two can coexist? After all, all worldwide religions have had their roots taken from ancient philosophies and if you look into any holy book, past all the junk which most atheists and anti-religion fanatics seem to pick up on (particularly in Christianity as I speak from a somewhat Catholic perspective), there is an absolute truth, one which has been decided upon after generations of philosophical thinking.

I personally don't see why religion has to bias our philosophical views or vice versa. We choose a religion because our philosophies coincide, and if they don't, we have no obligation to join that particular religion. I think the thing which puts most people off is all the ritualistic circumstances and this belief in a higher God. I may only be an amateur religion and philosophy student, but I am sure I can explain the true nature behind the religious perspective, should anyone be interested in a discussion about Christianity. But I digress.

I think the problem with modern day religion is that it is too structured - religion is, after all, a structured philosophical argument - and that society has bypassed many of the more ancient religions like Catholicism (I will not mention other religions for fear of being an ignorant fool) and this stereotype of religion = bad seems to exist.
Which I think is sad, because religion has played a huge role in society and it would be a shame to simply disregard it and the billions of people pertaining to it.

PerfectSilence
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Din on Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 pm

So, after a year or so long absence...

Strictly speaking, any religion or ideology is itself a philosophical view. If your religion or ideology doesn't shape your philosophical view, then you're not what you claim to be. A person's philosophical view is the way they live.

So if one's a christian, it makes sense that doctrine found in the bible is his/her philosophy. That's where I fall in. It seems odd if a religion doesn't bias a philosophy. How wouldn't it is my question.
Tell me a story.

Din
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sat May 31, 2014 6:43 am

Philisophy (doing) is meant here, not the common use of (a) philosophy. Religion cannot really be considered as philosophy because people do not question it. People in religion tend to be biased and not constantly ask questions but follow without doubt.

Aniihya
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MetaJokeName on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 am

Philosophically, I'm a naturalist, which precludes any religious views on my part. Specifically, I'm a metaphysical naturalist for one simple reason. To quote musician Tim Minchin (who I recommend if you love dark humour) "Because throughout history. Every mystery. Ever solved. Has turned out to be... not magic." Simply put, I have no reason to believe that supernatural events have ever or will ever occur, and a colossal amount of reasons to believe a naturalistic explanation of the universe. Science gets results that non-science can't, really.

In terms of how I live my life, I tend to have an existentialist bent. We're here in this mind-bogglingly huge and complex universe, governed by natural laws we haven't fully worked out yet. And we live on this tiny planet orbiting an average sun in a planetary system on the spiral arm of a non-descript galaxy. On this insignificant mote of dust in the universe, we invented both justice and injustice, cowardice and courage, honesty and deceit, all the varied and amazing virtues and foibles of being. There is no purpose in our lives but what we make, and that's both the beauty and the despair of our existence.

But hey, that's just me.
Some would say that I am like an onion. On the outside I might appear one way, but peel away my layers and you'll find each and every one is the same. And it makes you cry.

MetaJokeName
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patchlamb on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:11 am

I guess humanism is a philosophy. I believe in giving rights to the people, and not dictating what they can do based on a religion, but based on the idea of freedom and equality. Regardless of race, gender, or sexuality.

For religion, I do not believe in any god or gods, or anything supernatural. So I would be an atheist. We make our own laws, they are not handed to us by a god. In the same way we make our own happiness, it is not a reward for obeying a god. That's how I see things.

Patchlamb
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 pm

PerfectSilence wrote:if you look into any holy book, past all the junk which most atheists and anti-religion fanatics seem to pick up on (particularly in Christianity as I speak from a somewhat Catholic perspective), there is an absolute truth, one which has been decided upon after generations of philosophical thinking.
What is this absolute truth you speak of?

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athena's Assassin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:24 pm

As Din said, religions are (with a few 'pagan' exceptions) in themselves philosophies/ideologies. Some philosophies conflict with others, in the same way that religions conflict. These labels aren't really exclusive.

Athena's Assassin
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!