A Reminder About The Discussion and Debate Forum

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

A Reminder About The Discussion and Debate Forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Please remember this forum is for civil discussion only, any threads that degenerate into mindless arguments will be locked.

Thankyou.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nyxeth
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Re: A Reminder About The Discussion and Debate Forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Dear Alvaron,

I think it says something about our community that you had to post this thread - and not a good thing. So many threads here do degenerate into mindless bashing and flaming, and I find that completely unacceptable.

Personally, I enjoy discussing controversial issues, whether current events, politics, history, or *gasp shudder gasp* religion; however, I only do so respectfully - respecting the opinions and beliefs of both all others and myself. Without such mutual respect in such a discussion, it is easy to turn it into a flame war.

For instance, several users on this site - not naming names - I have observed responding to topics that concern some controversial issue (see list above) with utter disrespect, and even contempt for, the opinions of those with whom they disagree. Insulting the beliefs of others, using excessive profanity, and even personal attacks on individual members only exacerbate the hatred expressed in such posts. . .

I think it's fine, normal, and even good for people to disagree with one another. Wouldn't the world be boring if everyone agreed with all of your beliefs and opinions? Or mine? But when people hate others, or express that kind of disrespect, it just shows a lack of self-respect more than anything else. . . We need to encourage peaceable discussion. We need to see that everyone here feels welcome everywhere here - not just some places, some times.

I hope that everyone can take a look at this section of our forums and see a community where lively debate is encouraged, and where members engage each other respectfully and with great insight. . . If we are to be a City upon a Hill, we and the over eighteen thousand who swell our ranks, then let us do right.

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

Stunning letter from autistic survivor of electric shock torture in USA

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Concerning trouble users, whenever any proceed to attempt to derail threads into mindless bashing upon the subject or users within as mentioned, raise the issue to staff so it may be dealt with efficiently. Not all the staff check every thread and as such things may slip through. Offending posts if possible will be removed and users dealt with. So do remember to inform us, we can't do anything unless we know.

Nyxeth
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Another reminder about the Discussion/Debate forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:39 pm

In recent days, certain users seem to have gotten the impression that the Discussion and Debate forum is a place to get their impressions about certain things off their chest and see if anyone agrees with them. This is completely unacceptable.

From here on out, any "rant" threads will be locked at first sight, regardless of whether it has been replied to or not. Users, if you see such threads, please report them so we can deal with them.

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: Another reminder about the Discussion/Debate forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leif Cauldor on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:07 am

Not trying to be controversial here. But, Isn't that what debates are about? People's discussions about what they believe and how they feel about something? If not, Why don't we add a 'Rant' section to the forum?

Just a suggestion and question. Again, not trying to start anything, just curious.

^_^
As babies, mustn't we learn to crawl before we walk? Then, why as adults do we speak before we think?

Leif Cauldor
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 am

No, a debate is the formal method of a representational and interactive argument. In a debate you are trying to persuade your opponent that your position is the superior position on a topic via factual accuracy and compelling arguments. By supporting those arguments with valid evidence and sound reasoning, and presenting your ideas in a clear and effective manner. While some emotional appeal may be included the basis of debate is the presentation of a clear and compelling argument. That criteria is hardly the same as people discussing what they believe and how they feel.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:39 am

That may be so, Skallagrim, but the definition for 'discussion' is much looser and likely where they're finding the basis for rant posts, since it pretty much means an 'informal debate' (without the bells and whistles of a real debate, leaving more gray area for emotional ranting and anecdotal evidence). Not everybody is very skilled at making a clear, concise debate, which is why most people tend to discuss instead, which usually involves a lot of agreement with one another instead or only slightly different perceptions (such as in 'groups' with similar interests where discussions take place, and people tend to be on the same side with a topic).
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:23 am

Hey, what exactly is flaming anyway? What happens if you post something bluntly with no intent to harm those who read it and they take offense to it? This is something that happens to me in real life as well as I'm completely blunt and straight forward when I'm stating my opinion so what exactly is thought of as "flaming"? I do not insult beliefs, nor do I state it in disrespect but some people just have problems occasionally with what I say.
I wonder, how much I have lost over the years and how much I have gained from these experiences. Intellect, wisdom, knowledge? I would cast all these aside just for a second chance, a second chance to make everything I have done wrong right once more... Each time I stare into space I ponder, what would have happened had I done things differently? If I had been in a different family, met different people, would I have ever been happy, or would life have just punched me in the gut like it always has...

Dante215
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MadMoxxi on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:54 am

The title of this section is "Discussion & Debate". This tells me that "Discussion" was intended from the outset. Discussion is, as UnderINK states, informal debate, as clearly indicated in the following definition.

dis·cus·sion /dɪˈskʌʃən/ Show Spelled[dih-skuhsh-uhn] Show IPA –noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.

Just for good measure here's the definition for debate.

de·bate /dɪˈbeɪt/ Show Spelled [dih-beyt] Show IPA noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing. –noun
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.

I also feel the need to remind the audience that "Discussion" appears first. If discussion was never intended then that word needs to be removed from the title.

MadMoxxi
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MadMoxxi on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 pm

I now see that there is a very big problem in the understanding of the forum rules. I seriously understand the problem with perceived and intended insult. Not even 24 hours into the debate forum and already I have someone taking an honest concern for health as insult. The evidence? How many times the person emphatically denied being crazy, when that was never the issue I mentioned.

Wow.... just... wow.

MadMoxxi
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:08 pm

A discussion doesn't mean you can pick fights or throw indirect insults around, though. You should choose your words carefully and if you disagree with someone, do it in a light-hearted manner. Or at least say "I understand your point, but I feel this..."

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:25 pm

True, but it does mean we have the right to make our opinions and voices on a subject heard, this has been one of the few places on this site where half the time people have felt that they may freely express their feelings towards a set topic. If you don't want 'rants' under here, can you at least move them to a different forum so that we may state our own opinion freely?

Dante215
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Perhaps you guys should find a new way to go about it. =3
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Need I remind you that the greens have been just as guilty for making/joining in on rants, it's not like you guys are really in any position to just decide that making rants is a no no as you're just as guilty of it yourselves. We need a place to say these things openly or else we would not put them up and now you're threatening to tear them all down? Dude, if you want them removed from there make another forum where we can put them up and we'll post them there but until then, don't just go around tearing them all down, just because you have the power doesn't mean you have the right.

Dante215
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:43 pm

MadMoxxi you never called that person crazy but you told him to see a doctor because his mental health might be affected. That is clearly calling someone mentally ill and therefore an insult. Such things wont be tolerated.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

It seems the core of both discussion and debate is the dialogue. Two or more people conversing about a topic, considering what one another are saying, making compromises on definitions,... it's nonfiction writing, where your audience is able to give you near-instantaneous feedback.

The difference between a discussion and a debate is the depth of feedback. In a discussion, the audience wants to figure out what the writer is saying. "What does this mean? Can you reduce that paragraph to a word? Can you give an example?" You ask these sorts of questions, and generally assume that the writer is competent enough in that field to take the role of instructor. It's a bit of pressure, but for clarity's sake. (The competency is not only expected of the opening poster, but also of anyone who posts... if you say something in a discussion but someone doesn't understand, you are a candidate for their questions.)

A debate brings in something a lot heavier than clarity. It brings in truth. Everyone wants to have a true picture of the world, and many people who have false pictures of the world will still argue as though their view is accurate. Luckily, there are many ways to find out if something is false (far more than there are of finding out if something is true). You can look for persistent fallacies, contradictions, and so forth. You make sure the definitions are clear, and that the arguments flow a to b to c. Although you are unlikely to find the truth in any given debate, you are very likely to come across pitfalls and falsehoods. Personally, I like to continue doing research after the debate ends. "Next time, Gadget! Next time!"

Apart from things like spam and trolls, which clearly don't belong, I don't think that rants really fit here. It's "zero feedback". Without the meaningful dialogue, it's missing half of the writer: the audience. Rants, fiction or non-fiction, might be better suited to the Writing section of the Creative Realm or the Main Lobby. Same with the sharing of anecdotes (unless you could theoretically interrupt show-and-tell to poke at the topic with a stick): fireside stories seems like more more of a Main Lobby sort of thing.

The deciding factor, I think, is the question:"is there room for discussion or debate?" If someone could theoretically give you feedback on your rant, then it can fit.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spayce on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Personally I don't really think that this a good rule because mindless bashing can be interpreted so many different ways. I think that mindless bashing is "UR STUPID U DDNT EVEN G2 SKOOL I HOP U DIE" not "the reasons why I agree/disagree with what you wrote...ect". One could post their opinion on a controversial topic and someone who disagrees with it could just simply call it a rant instead of debating it and find some way for it to be taken down. This rule is definitely a matter of opinion and I think it needs to be changed because one person could consider a post "mindless" when another person could consider it debatable.

spayce
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby barney_fife on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:04 am

spayce wrote:Personally I don't really think that this a good rule because mindless bashing can be interpreted so many different ways. I think that mindless bashing is "UR STUPID U DDNT EVEN G2 SKOOL I HOP U DIE" not "the reasons why I agree/disagree with what you wrote...ect". One could post their opinion on a controversial topic and someone who disagrees with it could just simply call it a rant instead of debating it and find some way for it to be taken down. This rule is definitely a matter of opinion and I think it needs to be changed because one person could consider a post "mindless" when another person could consider it debatable.

Nip it in the bud.

barney_fife
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Maiden Voyager Group Theory Property Buyer Person of Interest Cult Leader Hordemaster Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Beta Tester

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!