Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation »

Players Wanted: Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted »

Role Play Consultant: Here for you!

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Role Play Consultant: Here for you!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Role Play Consultant

Hi,

Some of you may know me already or have seen me. I am currently the Game Master (GM) of SOLDIER, Eden, Epic Roma, and KSA. I have seen a lot of creative minds building role plays 24/7 on this website. I have also seen people having difficulty with finding the inspiration to put more effort into their role plays or who become discouraged just when the story had just begun. I want to help you.

If you have a role play that you think is going to be really amazing, but you are unsure how to start it off, maybe you need more ideas to make it more in depth to attract more attention? You are welcome to reply to this thread or PM me, and I will help give you ideas. I can also critique your storylines and tell you what I think: if more should be added to it or less. I can also give tips on how to get experienced players to join your role plays.

What I don’t do is:
1. Harrass.
2. Dictate.
3. Make your role plays for you.

So don’t be afraid to ask me if you feel my help may be of some use. I also would like to inform you that I am a junior in college. I go to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA, and I will be starting school August 16th. During the fall semester, I may get bogged down with work, so I only ask that you be patient in waiting for my replies. As of now, I am on summer vacation until that time, again, be kind to me by being patient. I can promise a response within 24 hours. That is, of course, if I get numerous players asking me for assistance.

Feel free to take this opportunity by the horns; you may learn something that can benefit you for the rest of your time role playing on Gateway.

Players Helped: 9

Oh yes!

I would like to add that I can also assist you in character creation. I am known to create characters from scratch in fifteen minutes for any genre. If you feel your character should have more information or you are stuck on a History or Background, check me out for ideas.
Last edited by Sonata on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
ImageI am an American Soldier.

The Maker of Epic Role Plays
The Chef Ramsay of RP

Role Play Consultant -If you need help with anything role play-related or concerning your writing ability, drop me a line.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sonata
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Role Play Assistant: Here for you!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm offering the same services as Sonata.

Just shoot me a PM or message me on AIM at AntonovMikoyan.

- Kronos, a man of few words.
Last edited by Kronos on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kronos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Sonata, my name is Ylanne. I have GMed several dead RPs, and currently am GM of two active ones: Unwanted, Unsaid, Undone and 90 Day Invasion Solution Without Confusion. I'm a crime writer and editor, part time teacher and student, and I've been around for almost a year on this site.

I think this idea is really great! One of my roleplays is actually now looking for one or two players to assume law enforcement roles, so I need to post a thread in roleplayers wanted. . . I'm just being lazy. Typical writer. :)

I don't know that I particularly need anything - as in advice - at the moment, but I guess most of my group roleplays have failed miserably. I decided I didn't need to plan out every single moment of a roleplay in advance, or have a too complicated premise, so with the two current ones, there is an open premise, and the conclusion and pre-roleplay happenings are left open to the players.

What do you think?

:EDIT:

As with the former two, I'm open to taking mentoring requests. But instead of helping out with overall roleplay problems, I am making myself available for writing or characterization problems or questions. Being a writer and editor with experience in that field, I'm open to helping anyone with any concern over their writing or characters.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Remember, I'm also available for mentoring/helping/aiding.

Kronos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 am

Bumping this up. So far, I've helped one happy role player. If there are others, feel free to check me out.

Sonata
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:58 am

fyi, im a bump.

Nyxeth
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Korokage on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 am

Well I'm a happy RPer that Sonata helped, and he is just about the coolest mmost honest guy ever. He's great for bouncing ideas off of, and anyone too insecure to seek help should reconsider being the scared little tortoise and ask for some help if you are having trouble.

The survey says: 10 out of 10 for amazing customer service. :D
What is life, or death...?

What is boundless, can be restrained.
What is endless, can be stopped.
Anything with an Alpha, has an Omega.
There is no such thing as infinity.

Korokage
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orrin55 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

i'm just another Rper Sonata helped, He gave me ideas, helped me balance out my story and pointed out several fatal flaws that my up-and-coming RP had. I am giving an immense 10 out of 10 for a job well done. It took me a lot of guts to ask, and he welcomed me gracefully, Thanks for your help Sonata!

Orrin55
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GourmetItalia on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to Sonata for helping me out with an upcoming thread that I'm planning. In the beginning, I sent you what I had developed for the thread and from your opinion, it was more of a story than a roleplay. It was good seeing how much my writing could be cut down and cut to something manageable enough to role play with. I like the tip you gave about writing down what was necessary and the grammar arrangements helped me realize how much I could describe with shorter sentences. For more assistance, I would like to know if you could give me more pointers on plot development so that when I do pattern out the thread's idea, that things will be both realistic and make sense. I aim for realism, for intricate schemes, and for all characters, whether they're good or evil to act and think intelligently.

GourmetItalia
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am

Bump!

Sonata
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I..Bump.
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Bumpy bump bump!

Sonata
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lamentations on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:45 pm

I take your assistance [Later on, when I need it in about a few days], and raise you a bump =P.

Lamentations
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:24 am

Bump, bump, bump.

Sonata
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Auzei on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:43 pm

I have a handful of good ideas. But when I make them on the previous sites I've been too. Usualy only one person is interested :/ So Do you want me to PM you my ideas or just post them here?

Auzei
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:22 am

Bump, bump, bump

Sonata
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I'd like to get started with posting my own RPs, but what I don't get is how my brother can practically pull stories out of his ass at the drop of a hat when he's in the mood, whereas I try to get ideas going for days at a time and can't get anything good.

I know the general rules (don't have a character in your own story, don't make him more powerful than the other players if you do, etc.), I just have problems making it into an idea that people will bite on and won't want to let go of.

Currently I'm thinking of a Pokemon RP where instead of having to slog through beating Gym Leaders and working up the ladder for 20 pages, the characters have already made it to the Hoenn regional championships (I know Sinnoh and 4th gen is all the rage these days, but I don't know enough about it just yet, as I personally don't have a DS) and are facing each other in the tournament. There will be water-cooler moments between intense fights...or so it goes in my mind. Currently, however, I'm thinking that it's going to go through the first round and then proceed to die a horrible death.

I suppose I could post it up in the Interest Checks, but the Pokemon RP is just one example. What I'm really getting at, though, is tips on how to "sell" an RP to potential players. Help, please?

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 pm

I decided to bring this thread back because there have been a lot of newcomers and rookies asking for assistance with their RP ideas. If you need assistance with your RP or anything related to RP, just send me a PM, and I'll be sure to help you.

Sonata
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Logarithms on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:40 pm

BUMP. Is this bump even needed?

Just another testimonial and gratitude from yet another Sonata has helped. He helped me along with improving the general length of my posts, and more importantly, the amount of description within the posts- to improve quality.
Last edited by Logarithms on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge users by their posts, not by their stars... (Admittedly, those stars seems somewhat bugged.)

Logarithms
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Sonata, this thread is keen.
You're an excellent addition to the mentor club, and it's nice to have someone around this site who actually knows what they're talking about.
Arceius says: Well we already knew you were an asshole, Akita.
AdaRPG says: Akita is the master RPr. A chick that plays one hell of a guy.
From Sonata on MSN: Holy Soldier says: You do play a good guy. Because I thought you were one when I came.
Azrican: Akita used "big" texts

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!